Straight out - Nobs are OP

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
crog
Level 2

Re: Straight out - Nobs are OP

Postby crog » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 10:56 am

Oddnerd wrote:I think I posted about this ages ago, but why do nobs get invincibility and suppression immunity in 1 ability? I think invincibility is a stupid thing to have in a game like this, but I can accept it as long as I can still crowd control the invincible unit... just as I am ok with a unit gaining complete crowd control immunity if it can still be damaged. Having immunity to the most readily available and reliable form of crowd control along side invincibility just seems excessive.

This .
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 4:31 pm

I really would be happy if Super units like Nobz,paladins,and Assault Termis would be limited to only one squad :)
orks have a very fun and awesome T3 such as looted tank(best anti-infintry tank),Flash gitz (melts Heavy armor),Komandos (Awesome utility,very versatile) yet more than often we see 2x nobz T3 if not more :(
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 2:22 pm

Can we please not touch Seer Council at all? They are fine as they are.
Nobs are a problem only in teamgames since you have no room to kite or use all the counter-strategies that exist to fight such units. The biggest problem I see with Nobs is how fast they reach lvl 4 at which point they truly become unkillable. For some reason Nobs (same as Seer Council btw) lvl like crazy.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:17 pm

Oddnerd wrote:I think I posted about this ages ago, but why do nobs get invincibility and suppression immunity in 1 ability? I think invincibility is a stupid thing to have in a game like this, but I can accept it as long as I can still crowd control the invincible unit... just as I am ok with a unit gaining complete crowd control immunity if it can still be damaged. Having immunity to the most readily available and reliable form of crowd control along side invincibility just seems excessive.

Juuuust right!

Getting all of these buffs in the same time is just stupid, no matter what they cost. And to be really honest, I don't think that Nobz have anything wrong apart from what Frenzy does. I would totally support 2 seperate abilitys that one give suppresion immunity, and one gives damage buff.
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Wed 19 Apr, 2017 1:07 pm

Frenzy is fine in my opinion. It costs a lot of red and it's only active for a limited time. Even while it's up, they're still susceptible to stuns and knockback, after which you can suppress them again.

There are a couple of edge cases where they get a bit more problematic - with mekboy Supa tuff beam (essentially doubling their frenzy duration) and when you can stack up multiple nobz in team games without having to worry about their weaknesses. They can be a bit annoying with painboy as well but he's a decent investment so I think that's fine.

In 1v1's, looted tanks and kommandos are still my go-to T3 purchases, simply because nobz get countered by a lot of your enemy's normal T2 purchases (melee walkers, pdev/artillery, etc) and they're very unsubtle, making them easy to anticipate and counter with different sources of crowd control, and then suppressing them again once frenzy wears off
guymandude
Level 1

Postby guymandude » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 9:50 am

hiveminion wrote:Capping units is in my opinion a capitulation to poor balance design. I think you should try to lift as many as possible rather than introducing more.

I've always believed this as well, and said as much the other day on another game's forum.

Hell, I say lift the caps on Unclean Ones and Avatars etc. If someone kills off their whole army and spams Unclean Ones (not to mention he's probably already won the game if he could actually do that), it's hard to believe I couldn't hard counter it, and if I couldn't, that probably points to a balance issue somewhere else.
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Mon 12 Jun, 2017 1:06 pm

guymandude wrote:
hiveminion wrote:Capping units is in my opinion a capitulation to poor balance design. I think you should try to lift as many as possible rather than introducing more.

I've always believed this as well, and said as much the other day on another game's forum.

Hell, I say lift the caps on Unclean Ones and Avatars etc. If someone kills off their whole army and spams Unclean Ones (not to mention he's probably already won the game if he could actually do that), it's hard to believe I couldn't hard counter it, and if I couldn't, that probably points to a balance issue somewhere else.

I don't think capping of units is always a bad choice. Ofc capping should be used as a last resort only when every other attempt fails to balance a unit. Imo, when a unit is overperforming in team games due to being able to build multiple of them without being punished, capping can be an option. In 1 v 1, spamming a unit can be punished in many ways but in team games, your teammates can cover for you in many circumstances. Capping units allows things to be balanced in teams without actually touching stats thus preventing the change from harming 1 v 1 balance.

In conclusion, capping is a useful tool when
1. A unit is over performing in teams due to being able to build multiple of them
2. Want to balance team games but not touch stats to avoid touching 1 v 1 balance
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 2:21 am

Atlas wrote:And this is coming from the Eldar hater on the "balance team".

ELDAR REMOVED WHEN
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Fri 16 Jun, 2017 7:04 am

Psycho wrote:
Atlas wrote:And this is coming from the Eldar hater on the "balance team".

ELDAR REMOVED WHEN

When they give me DIRECT CONTROL!

Return to “Balance Discussion”