Melee skill- special attack procs

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Regant
Level 0

Melee skill- special attack procs

Postby Regant » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:13 am

I would rise slight issue (since I couldnt find it on formum) with Strike Squad procing too much specials attacks against meele units with equal melee skill.

I always noticed that Strike Squad used their special quite often but I considered it fine since it was often against range units and I though they had some insane melee skill. But recently that hybrit melee/range unit hammered slightly bruised banshee unit (unit that cant ofer nothing but walking type of glass cannon melee with beastly melee skill) to the ground with little to no advantage. Banshees would mostlikely won if strike squad didnt start spamming specials. They got !3! in row while banshees AND Farseer that was helping got 0. Hell they coould barely stand. Resulting in total loss of banshees and 0 model loss for Strike Squad.

I kinda though that melee squads are rarely getting specials if they are against opponent of equal melee skill (Banshees and farseer both have 70 for melee skill same as strike squad). Would anyone mind to explain? Why Strike Squad are spaming their specials like crazy and for Banshees its nearly like chrismas treat even against lower skilled opponents?
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Re: Melee skill- special attack procs

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 1:42 pm

How many engagements are you basing this observation on? Since they have equal melee skill, Banshee models and Strike Squad models have equal chance to proc their melee specials. The easiest way to find out if there is any bias favoring Strike Squads would be to lab it with a friend. Each buys 10+ of the respective unit and lets them fight until one squad has died. Count the number of specials and which unit won. It is important to set the Strike Squad to melee stance though as the significantly soften Banshees up on approach making it easier to kill off models.
I'd venture to say that you would find out that there is no inherent bias but it would be interesting to see the results anyway.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 2:18 pm

It's not good science to suspect that there is some inherent bias towards SS that is not scheduled just because of one anecdotal experience.

I think SS specials are far more noticeable than most other squads since they have such a huge area of effect and kb power. That's probably why it seems like they do specials more often - you can miss a slugga or shee special if you are not looking but you'd never miss an SS one.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 2:46 pm

Torpid wrote:It's not good science to suspect that there is some inherent bias towards SS that is not scheduled just because of one anecdotal experience.

Adeptus Noobus wrote:How many engagements are you basing this observation on? Since they have equal melee skill, Banshee models and Strike Squad models have equal chance to proc their melee specials. [...]
I'd venture to say that you would find out that there is no inherent bias but it would be interesting to see the results anyway.

At their current state it is most definitely not advisable to send Banshees into combat with Strike Squads if you dont soften them up first or get a good flank on them or have either Guide, Doom or Channeling Runes available. That is according to my most humble opinion of course.
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 3:00 pm

it's also possible that the OM player used Mind Blades on his Strike Squad, this is a global that isnt suuuper noticeable (blue circle around their feet) but it raises their melee skill by 10 so they're much more likely to get specials (and the shees have almost no chance at all).
Aetherion
Level 2

Postby Aetherion » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 12:19 pm

Crewfinity wrote:it's also possible that the OM player used Mind Blades on his Strike Squad, this is a global that isnt suuuper noticeable (blue circle around their feet) but it raises their melee skill by 10 so they're much more likely to get specials (and the shees have almost no chance at all).

*Absolutely no chance at all. And Strikes have 15% chance with mind blades (5% + x higher melee skill%)
CREED FOR THE PLAN GOD
ELDRAD FOR THE DICK THRONE
just as planned
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 5:47 pm

I'm pretty sure that, purely 1v1, banshees actually have a higher chance to proc a special on account of having more models no?
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 5:51 pm

if all 5 of them live to close then yes but that don't happen often
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 9:37 pm

In theory you are right, Atlas, but
boss wrote:if all 5 of them live to close then yes but that don't happen often
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 10:40 pm

also the strike have a 360 special for some fucking reason so if the shes are all alive then most of the time thay all get hit unlike like shes only have 180 special so you hit 1 or 2 or even 3 Strike if you lucky
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 1:23 am

Shee specials are great and usually hit or kb more than one model.

Statistically SS should have a smaller chance of specials compared to Shees due to the model count. Their attack speed is pretty similar so Shees should do more attacks ---> more specials but it all comes down to good old RNG.
#noobcodex

Return to “Balance Discussion”