OM have been nerfed out of relevancy

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Cyris
Level 4

OM have been nerfed out of relevancy

Postby Cyris » Fri 10 Jun, 2016 11:51 pm

IST cost makes early game map control garbage, and bleed too much. Investing in them is a terrible trap. Melee ruins them, they lose most ranged firefights at cost and plumit in potency as they lose models. Ops are shitty scouts. Mediocre side cappers, bad support (friendly-fire on their only CC skill, satchel charge bugs out on most structures), bad chase, bad at everything. Purgation are countered by melee squads running right at them, don't stop ranged blobs, and fail utterly against melee commanders. BC is a slower CL with a garbage ability and no OP T2 wargears. SS are stong, but too RNG based in melee and psilencer is the worst upgrade in the whole game, except for maybe Purified Blades.

Nerfing everything OP in 2.5 was good, correct and important, but neglecting to buff any of the under preforming units/upgrades was a mistake. OM are in such a horrible state right now. 2.5 looked good on paper, but is an abject failure for them. I'm so done with these guys, I can't even provide useful feedback. Please spend some time playing them in 1v1 Cael, and you'll see the gaping holes in this faction. No aggro, no take and hold, no OP synergies, no T1 melee counters, no individually overpreforming units to carry (like ASM). The race is trash except maybe in 3v3 if carried to T3.

...says the scrub who was carried by OM/GK being OP. Whatever, this is how I feel as of right now. I reserve the right to change my mind later ;)
Crewfinity
Level 4

Re: OM have been nerfed out of relevancy

Postby Crewfinity » Sat 11 Jun, 2016 2:30 am

Yep agreed. Only strong points are SS in T1 and Rhino in T2. As a faction they're really weak right now and need some buffs next patch.

Particularly weak points are transitional AV and pushing setup teams/ranged blobs.

I've switched back to orks because I can't figure out how to make OM work currently.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 11 Jun, 2016 7:30 pm

Yes.

Scouts would be so much better than ops it is ridiculous and IST suck. The vindicare and the las-rhino need to fire more often even if that means a reduction in dps. The CD on their shots is a joke. Too many problems. Hard to solve.

And right now the BC really sucks in T2. Although I think WATH is better than kill the weak tbh.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sat 11 Jun, 2016 9:12 pm

IST's beat Scouts
Strike Squad beat Tacs
BC beats FC
No setup required suppression
Inquisitorial Operatives that can stun for 7 seconds and then does 323.12 damage or 445.62 damage with Squad Leader

Your problems are amazing :D
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 11 Jun, 2016 9:27 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:IST's beat Scouts
Strike Squad beat Tacs
BC beats FC
Inquisitorial Operatives that can stun for 7 seconds and then does 323.12 damage or 445.62 damage with Squad Leader

What is the point of such a comment Kami? Utterly emotive. One knows that it is not as simple as saying stuff like that. Not to get too deep here since your post doesn't really warrant it, but to illustrate allow me to try this:

Tacs beat IST.
Scouts and tacs beat SS and IST.
Devs beat Purgs.
Everything beats ops.
ASM beat the entire GK T1.

SM are so bad vs GK :D

Perhaps before making such a comment it might be beneficial to attempt to play GK in 1v1 seriously and while your at it it might not be a bad idea to learn to play races other than SM too. Not that your SM play is superb either mind you...
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 12:59 am

ServantOfTheForums wrote:
Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:IST's beat Scouts
Strike Squad beat Tacs
BC beats FC

What is the point of such a comment Kami? Utterly emotive. One knows that it is not as simple as saying stuff like that. Not to get too deep here since your post doesn't really warrant it, but to illustrate allow me to try this:

Tacs beat IST.
Scouts and tacs beat SS and IST.
Devs beat Purgs.
Everything beats ops.
ASM beat the entire GK T1.

SM are so bad vs GK :D

Perhaps before making such a comment it might be beneficial to attempt to play GK in 1v1 seriously and while your at it it might not be a bad idea to learn to play races other than SM too. Not that your SM play is superb either mind you...

My SM play isn't that great right now because I don't play anywhere near enough to be at the level that I used to. Even if I tried to get good it would never work as it requires a larger player-base where I can actually find opponents to go against. I used to play Warlock, Plague Marine, Apothecary and Kommando Knob as well as the Force Commander by the way. It's just that I mained the Force Commander so that's what people know me as and I haven't bothered playing any other commanders in Elite due to my time zone giving me very few people to go against.

I actually have played the matchup quite a few times. I'm not speaking out of inexperience. Oh, and it's in 1v1 as well. I only play team games to screw around and have never taken them seriously.

The reason why I worded my post the way I did was to reflect the way everyone else (including you) had worded their own post here. 'X' unit is bad! No reasoning or stats of any kind included! Balance arguments with more holes than the Titanic!

Typical balance discussion and then ganging up on the one guy who disagreed with the angry mob. Anyways, I'm out of here. Back to waiting for DoW 3 for me :p
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 1:23 am

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:My SM play isn't that great right now because I don't play anywhere near enough to be at the level that I used to. Even if I tried to get good it would never work as it requires a larger player-base where I can actually find opponents to go against. I used to play Warlock, Plague Marine, Apothecary and Kommando Knob as well as the Force Commander by the way. It's just that I mained the Force Commander so that's what people know me as and I haven't bothered playing any other commanders in Elite due to my time zone giving me very few people to go against.

I actually have played the matchup quite a few times. I'm not speaking out of inexperience. Oh, and it's in 1v1 as well. I only play team games to screw around and have never taken them seriously.

The reason why I worded my post the way I did was to reflect the way everyone else (including you) had worded their own post here. 'X' unit is bad! No reasoning or stats of any kind included! Balance arguments with more holes than the Titanic!

Typical balance discussion and then ganging up on the one guy who disagreed with the angry mob. Anyways, I'm out of here. Back to waiting for DoW 3 for me :p

You're right.

My apologies.

I was not having a fun night when I posted that response >_>

I was really tempted to write out the problems with them but... Ugh, I'm just so fucking sick of GK tbh. I just wish they didn't exist. They're such a ambitious race that actually has only been half-assedly balanced and so obnoxious to even look at never mind play against.

Nonetheless Kami I do disagree with you on the MU, but there was no need for the insults really, so again, my apologies.

I'm going to go to bed now.
Ordie
Level 1

Postby Ordie » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 2:59 am

Crewfinity wrote:Particularly weak points are transitional AV and pushing setup teams/ranged blobs.

Perhaps, a suggestion would be to alter how GK does AV? At the moment nearly all of the GK's AV options are Anti All weapons, or permit anti-infantry capacity.

Psi-cannons are explosive damage, Vindicare is amazing at bleeding infantry, Paladins provide 86 piercing with perfect moving accuracy.

Compare any of these to some of their other counterparts. Lascannons, beamy lootas and the like represent a choice to excel at anti vehicle and give up anti infantry. OM doesn't face this choice (which I think was intended) but to maintain balance, it means that OM has a lot of soft AV options.

For a lot of reasons, this seems like a problem. Perhaps there's a way to increase the AV part of OM and decrease the AI?
Chaplain of the Reasonable Marines. -SEMPER RATIO!
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 4:16 am

Before patch 2.5.1 I used to be fully on the "Fuck-OM" bandwagon, but after facing Torpid's GK in 1v1 I see completely where Cyris is coming from. It took me only 2 games to figure out the major weaknesses in the OM roster and beat him. I like to think I'm not bad as an IG player, but I definitely won thanks to some well-exploited weaknesses.

Other people have given more in-depth analysis of the problems with OM so I won't bother. One thing I would say is, I don't want to see OM brought back to their old strength by reversing the nerfs made in the last few patches - they were rightfully called OP for those reasons. Instead, perhaps by shoring up some of their glaring weaknesses a new version of OM can be created that doesn't require you to play like a dick in order to win.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 4:12 pm

revert them to a 2.3 state with the t3 interceptor change, lasrhino nerfs, BC nerfs, and VA nerfs. And yes that means removing operatives from the game.

There were just a series of changes that completely fucked up everything about GK design-wise and balance-wise, if someone wants me to write a big wall of text about it I can...
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 5:35 pm

-They loose models too quickly.
-Nobody goes Sergant since the Acolyte leader is much superior with his die last model and regen aura. Acolyte > Sergant. I would like to see somethingl ike Banshee upgrades where you need to decide something. Sergant gives regen and acolyte gives damage buff, yeah, that souds good.

- They are too good in melee combat for start. What if we remove power melee? They are tanky, they are shooty, they are smashy. Needs a small change.
- Incinerator does not perform as good as expected. And not even worth to buy.

-Their suppression performance is weak. They can barely suppress 2 squads together. They need to effect more area to be effective.

-Nobody goes for them when they have the option of Termies, because OM Termies are freaking awsome ! They would fit T2 with small nerfs IMO.
-Their T2 upgrade is flawless. No touch !

-As discussed and agreed by the community before; Inferno Cannon needs buffs.
BbBoS
Shoutcaster

Postby BbBoS » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 8:12 pm

firatwithin wrote:Image

- They are too good in melee combat for start. What if we remove power melee? They are tanky, they are shooty, they are smashy. Needs a small change.
- Incinerator does not perform as good as expected. And not even worth to buy.

They do not have Power Melee, only regular Melee.
Ordie
Level 1

Postby Ordie » Sun 12 Jun, 2016 9:30 pm

Forestradio wrote:revert them to a 2.3 state with the t3 interceptor change, lasrhino nerfs, BC nerfs, and VA nerfs. And yes that means removing operatives from the game.

There were just a series of changes that completely fucked up everything about GK design-wise and balance-wise, if someone wants me to write a big wall of text about it I can...

I would like to hear your argument for it. I am interested in hearing about the meta-game.
Vindicarex
Head of Balance

Postby Vindicarex » Mon 13 Jun, 2016 5:21 am

Can confirm, OM worst race in 1v1.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 4:27 pm

Ordie wrote:
Forestradio wrote:revert them to a 2.3 state with the t3 interceptor change, lasrhino nerfs, BC nerfs, and VA nerfs. And yes that means removing operatives from the game.

I would like to hear your argument for it. I am interested in hearing about the meta-game.

You want it? Then it shall be yours.
Let’s go back to 2.3, where the t1 rhino gunner got implemented.
Grey Knight t1 units: IST, ss, purgation, HI rhino, interceptors
Now, the other units all had their roles, people whined about strike squads not scaling into t2 but honestly there was no issue to be had there, git gud with energy restoration and energy drain. Blessed Aegis was in t1 and only 20 power so everyone and their cat bought it and used the BC as a suppression counter by bumrushing suppression teams like mad. As a result, interceptors were a rare sight, usually bought against SM.
T2 had the sniper lasrhino, and the teleporting lightning claw terminator in t2 (halberd, aegis, teleporter BC) which were both kinda op. Also vindicare assassin one hit kills which were bullshit. But there was a lot of creative things to be had in the t2 with heavy bolter rhinos, purifiers, and terminators librarians. Mixing up plasma cannon and melee dreads and whatnot. In a lot of 1v1 games t2 was the key for grey knights where they came back from a hard t1 (nids!) or continued from their t1 pressure (sm).

2.3.2 comes along, same as before except now the rhino has SHI (wtf). Instantly there is no reason to buy it anymore because it causes so much (perfectly justified) rage that it’s just not worth it. Also, the lascannon is still op in t2. But the main thing is that the rhino gets removed from t1 build orders unless you wanted to deal with holyhammer levels of rage from the opposing player.
Rest is mostly the same, aegis went to 25 power in this patch from what I can remember which was a good start but not enough.

And now we get to 2.4 and 2.4.2. We get operatives. Which are batshit overpowered. Probably not as overpowered as the original doom of malantai or vindicare assassin but they’re also in t1 and have a fucking huge impact on the game, to the point where the grey knight vs sm matchup became practically impossible and every single matchup involves countering operatives.
Rhino stayed in t1, went back to HI. Literally never ever purchased anymore, because operatives. Lascannon no longer so op against infantry, which opened up more HB rhino play which was a good thing.
Purgation got moved into t2, req cost increased so it’s way harder to field them. So rip creative t1 build orders, unless you wanted to mess around with 3 IST 1 SS builds or something.
Still never see anything but halberd-aegis-teleporter. Maybe demon hammer if you’re lucky.
T3 becomes so batshit insane it’s not even funny. Shockwave that instagibs lvl 4 stormboyz and terminators with the ability to retreat… yeah nuff said.
Interceptors go to t3 in actually a good design choice, but are rarely seen because who needs anything else when you have retreating terminators?
So here we are in 2.5/2.5.2
BC got his op troll build removed. We’re left with a bunch of obsolete wargears like purified blades that have needed a rework since forever. When was the last time anyone saw canticle or nemesis vortex? That’s right, almost never. Only the weapons are still good and interesting to mess around with.
Operatives are no longer so op, but the rhino goes to t2. Guess what, all the work spent around putting it into t1 is wasted.
IST get a starting cost increased, completely destroying 3 ist builds and going against grey knights being more focused on inquisitorial units.
Purgation go back into t1… but none of the buffs they got when they got moved into t2 get reverted. So yeah, they were made batshit op. Purgation builds are the meta until 2.5.2 when they get nerfed.
Paladins are no longer so insane, losing retreat and shockwave kinda getting nerfed. Ordinary terminators retain their retreat!!!111!!1 Interceptors still almost never seen.

So what are we left with? A faction with a lot of new op tools got them removed which was good, but in the process most opportunities for creativity and innovation got removed. And there are still a couple of useless things or things that have no reason to be in dow2, like the satchel charge. And still no one plays them, and we’re stuck in the same place as ages ago.

I know that I probably missed a lot of information, my memory of those patches isn’t perfect, but personally I think that they were in a way better state in 2.3 and spoke to many players who have the same opinion, even accounting for all the things considered abusive/broken, and could have been designed from that unit roster, that’s it and I don’t have anything else to add.
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 5:15 pm

I want to personally apologize to Cael for posting this thread. I've been playing GK on and off through the last few patches, and have really enjoyed the journey. It's been fascinating to watch a wholey new faction get created in ELITE. Informative, fun, enjoyable. I posted in frustration (as many of us do) but also out of misplaced love. I want OM to be an interesting, unique and balanced faction. They have come a long way, but their current incarnation is trash tier in 1v1 play, and I really wish they were not.

Pretty good summary Forest. I disagree on a couple points (Purgation suck now, I'd happily see their damage go down in return for something else, 2.3.2 wasn't a golden age) but fully agree on the rest. 2.5.2 removed the last of the OP crutches that kept OM playable, without touching the rest of the under preforming units, while also nerfing IST instead of SS.

Let's be honest with ourselves: factions in DoW2 (and many pvp games) work because they are mixes of various OP elements you leverage to win. You leverage IG's OP reinforcement ratios by forcing battles of attrition. You opponent attempts to work around this by leveraging their factions OP elements to try to avoid battles of attrition. The balancing act is to avoid toxicity and to make sure factions have weaknesses to go with these strengths.

OM are pretty much a faction left with only weaknesses. SS are OP in the first half of T1 (or into early T2 in some matchups), but that's pretty much it. Horrible map control, BC doesn't pull his weight, clunky AV, numerous useless upgrades, little wipe threat, mediocre aggressive options and mediocre turtle options.

I understand why this happened, the GK OP QQ was so real. But while there were some things that needed nerfing, OM were left without enough strengths to leverage, and an abundance of weaknesses to exploit. I look forward to the next iteration on them, and will try to be more productive in the future.
Ordie
Level 1

Postby Ordie » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 5:32 am

Forestradio wrote: You want it? Then it shall be yours.

Thank you! I appreciate hearing your thoughts!

Cyris wrote: Let's be honest with ourselves: factions in DoW2 (and many pvp games) work because they are mixes of various OP elements you leverage to win. You leverage IG's OP reinforcement ratios by forcing battles of attrition. You opponent attempts to work around this by leveraging their factions OP elements to try to avoid battles of attrition. The balancing act is to avoid toxicity and to make sure factions have weaknesses to go with these strengths.

My next question would be, "What is the OP element that OM revolve around?"

As far as I can tell:
SM have tactical flexibility as their strength with swift transitioning to meet different needs. (Tac weapon switching, FC and TM having a weapon for any occasion)
Chaos is straightforward, high up front damage, and hard countering units. (Bloodletters, LRP, Plague Sword, Subjugate)
Eldar are glass cannons, heavy focus on mobility and striking at weak points in formations. (FoF, Gates, Enhance, Guide, Timefield, Anti grav grenade)
Tyranids have numbers and stacking bonuses from their synapses.(Warriors, Venom Brood, Zoan, Health synapse, damage synapse)
IG is all about attrition and surviving the long game (highest repair rate, 35% damage mitigation on Russ, cheap reinforcements, turret drops)
Orks are heavy focused on high impact global resource buffs. (UYC, HDB, More Dakka, WAAAGH, Frenzy, Luv Da Dakka)

So what is the element OM is supposed to revolve around? Because I'm honestly not seeing it. At the moment they seem to be a countdown faction. Give them enough time and resources, and they will run you over with Terminators, and I think we're seeing the fallout of that in the gameplay. 1v1s are awful because you will never get to late game, and 3v3s, OM are still overpowering because you often can afford to fast tech to 3 and crank out termis.
(For example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usCvUUTf78E we won because we delayed long enough to let termis carry)

What might be an OP element that OM could revolve around?

Just as a thought, what about making the faction revolve around strong, short term, energy based abilities? This seems fairly fluff accurate, as every GK is a psyker, but it might also allow the faction to reclaim some of its unique abilities without making them overpowered.

What if SS operated something like Slaughter CSM, a short term buff that allows them to be good in melee? Rather than their current status somewhere between ASM and Tacs.

What if Ops had an ability that reduced the cooldown of their shotguns by 50%? They still maintained some heavy burst damage when you need it, they aren't assault shotgun snipers. They face internal competition between stealth, stun, and damage spike.

You don't want to fight them when their buffs are active anymore than you want to fight sluggas with UYC up. you wait out the ability, control them, or concede the fight and push back when you've returned to the field, with the ability on cooldown.

Would something like this be a core mechanic that the faction could be built around?
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 11:35 am

Ordie wrote:SM have tactical flexibility as their strength with swift transitioning to meet different needs. (Tac weapon switching, FC and TM having a weapon for any occasion)
Chaos is straightforward, high up front damage, and hard countering units. (Bloodletters, LRP, Plague Sword, Subjugate)
Eldar are glass cannons, heavy focus on mobility and striking at weak points in formations. (FoF, Gates, Enhance, Guide, Timefield, Anti grav grenade)
Tyranids have numbers and stacking bonuses from their synapses.(Warriors, Venom Brood, Zoan, Health synapse, damage synapse)
IG is all about attrition and surviving the long game (highest repair rate, 35% damage mitigation on Russ, cheap reinforcements, turret drops)
Orks are heavy focused on high impact global resource buffs. (UYC, HDB, More Dakka, WAAAGH, Frenzy, Luv Da Dakka)

So what is the element OM is supposed to revolve around?

Good point.

I think they are SM with Jedi powers. Yes, why don't we make them like this? SM but with psycic abilitys.
evilmario5
Level 2

Postby evilmario5 » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 1:37 pm

Ordie wrote:
Forestradio wrote: You want it? Then it shall be yours.

So what is the element OM is supposed to revolve around? Because I'm honestly not seeing it. At the moment they seem to be a countdown faction. Give them enough time and resources, and they will run you over with Terminators, and I think we're seeing the fallout of that in the gameplay. 1v1s are awful because you will never get to late game, and 3v3s, OM are still overpowering because you often can afford to fast tech to 3 and crank out termis.
(For example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usCvUUTf78E we won because we delayed long enough to let termis carry)

What might be an OP element that OM could revolve around?

Just as a thought, what about making the faction revolve around strong, short term, energy based abilities? This seems fairly fluff accurate, as every GK is a psyker, but it might also allow the faction to reclaim some of its unique abilities without making them overpowered.

What if SS operated something like Slaughter CSM, a short term buff that allows them to be good in melee? Rather than their current status somewhere between ASM and Tacs.

What if Ops had an ability that reduced the cooldown of their shotguns by 50%? They still maintained some heavy burst damage when you need it, they aren't assault shotgun snipers. They face internal competition between stealth, stun, and damage spike.

You don't want to fight them when their buffs are active anymore than you want to fight sluggas with UYC up. you wait out the ability, control them, or concede the fight and push back when you've returned to the field, with the ability on cooldown.

Would something like this be a core mechanic that the faction could be built around?

going to recorrect you Ordie with the replay your referring. i had 5 units before even got to getting to tier 3 which only one of the units lived till then my purgation squad, I was last to tech to tier3 in that game, and only just started to get my first grey knight termy 25mins into the game which the game lasted a lot longer.
yes I play gk/om a bit no hate plz
Ordie
Level 1

Postby Ordie » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 3:07 am

evilmario5 wrote:going to recorrect you Ordie with the replay your referring. i had 5 units before even got to getting to tier 3 which only one of the units lived till then my purgation squad, I was last to tech to tier3 in that game, and only just started to get my first grey knight termy 25mins into the game which the game lasted a lot longer.

I was not suggesting that you played poorly, or that you played unfairly. I was not intending to suggest that you did fast track to 3 and go for terminator spam. I apologize for my lack of clarity in communication.

I was lifting up this game as an example where, given a great deal of time (40 minutes) and an extraordinary amount of resources, OM win games by throwing Terminators at the enemy. This is what I mean by a countdown faction. If you can drag the game out long enough, and field any units you wish to, across the factions, OM wins. This, in light of the context of the rest of my post, is what I believe OM is currently trying to balance around. Their OP aspect, as Cyris said. I am suggesting that this creates some significant difficulties when attempting to balance the faction, and I think that finding or creating another OP aspect to balance the faction around might help resolve some of the complications they are currently facing.

Return to “Balance Discussion”