Bloodletters Population Cost

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Torpid

Bloodletters Population Cost

Postby Torpid » Wed 04 May, 2016 11:36 pm

Does anyone think bloodletters deserve to be 12 pop still?

It makes absolutely no sense at all to me. In fact, I think bloodletters are overperforming quite a lot atm.

Just a thought. Not much elaboration there I know, but I cba unless someone wants me to.

What are the thoughts of y'all?

They have less pop than t1 tacs. The same pop as t1 sluggas. Please.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
HARRYY
Level 2

Re: Bloodletters Population Cost

Postby HARRYY » Wed 04 May, 2016 11:39 pm

ServantOfTheForums wrote:Does anyone think bloodletters deserve to be 12 pop still?

It makes absolutely no sense at all to me. In fact, I think bloodletters are overperforming quite a lot atm.

Just a thought. Not much elaboration there I know, but I cba unless someone wants me to.

TBH i dont care the pop... their role + their low upkeep together would concern me much more.

But I guess the common consensus is "its fine" ... :D
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 04 May, 2016 11:43 pm

HARRYY wrote:
ServantOfTheForums wrote:Does anyone think bloodletters deserve to be 12 pop still?

TBH i dont care the pop... their role + their low upkeep together would concern me much more.

But I guess the common consensus is "its fine" ... :D

Them being lower pop makes your army upkeep lower. You're going to have other units that cost more upkeep anyway usually so them having low upkeep on the models themselves is less problematic. Remember upkeep costs don't affect the cheapest 30 pop of your army.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
HARRYY
Level 2

Postby HARRYY » Thu 05 May, 2016 12:02 am

upkeep and pop are not forced into a co-relation - you often found wrong upkeep in vanilla because the Devs overlooked them..
pop is irrelevant from a balance POV (it only limits your size). so when you call out they are overperforming, I would check upkeep first (what you pay to maintain them - if 2 good, upkeep should be higher, punishing your ECO)
Last edited by HARRYY on Thu 05 May, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Thu 05 May, 2016 12:04 am

Compared to retail letters they aren't nearly as strong, but they are still a good unit that isn't over performing at all, especially when chaos T2 has actually over performing stuff like plague marines and autocannons.
HARRYY
Level 2

Postby HARRYY » Thu 05 May, 2016 12:07 am

agree. actually you can not tell whats overperforming , since everything is overperforming exccept for Tics. lol
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Thu 05 May, 2016 11:24 am

I think 12 pop is too low for letters but 16 would probably be a bit steep cost.
#noobcodex
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Thu 05 May, 2016 1:31 pm

they are too squishy outside of heretic worship support, they have a redundant damage type which can already be acquired by the much more stand alone kcsm. their chase potential is not particularly high their model hp is not impressive and out side of their ability to cheese their phase out to distract enemies or push on positions they arent very good as an agressive unit.

I view them as banshees, an extremely difficult to use unit that is only apparently op when the chaos player doing literally everything right with them
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Thu 05 May, 2016 1:49 pm

Well, since you see them at banshees, perhaps you should then consider what we're talking about, ie the population cost.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Thu 05 May, 2016 3:22 pm

BLetters are okay for pop. The pop doesn't matter IMO. Their performance depends on the player. A good micro gives a great prize to the player, and a bad micro costs bad.

I handled half of a OM army with just level 3 BLetters. It is veeeryy important to keep them in worship. But I lost a lot of BLetters without any worship supprt.
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Thu 05 May, 2016 5:44 pm

Asmon wrote:Well, since you see them at banshees, perhaps you should then consider what we're talking about, ie the population cost.

dodging the point i see. My point is they dont need any changes because the perceived reason for suggesting a pop adjustment is (and it is ALWAYS this reason) they are over performing .

They have the things they are good at , and they have things they are crap at. they arent necessarily over or under performing at anything , hence they don’t need changes . that includes changes to population

is that clear enough ?
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Fri 06 May, 2016 11:41 am

Not sure if my gripe is the population, but I always feel like phase shift comes way too early and often (after a huge range teleport). Maybe an energy increase on that would be good.

Return to “Balance Discussion”