Some bullet points...

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Castle
Level 2

Some bullet points...

Postby Castle » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 12:44 am

Hi all,

Thought I would weigh in some after putting in quite a few hours in the mod--and a few with retail--in the last couple weeks (about 100 or so).

The mod is exciting and generally more fun to play by far, but it really is not balanced yet. This comes from a lot of time playing, playing with other decent to veteran players, and playing Space Marines plenty... but getting steam rolled very fast by a lot of various spam opportunities that seem to be cropping up in the mod.

Also, several players have commented on the fact that after reading the change logs and playing the mod heavily there seems to be an (unintentional) bias toward Chaos and Eldar getting more, or less, nerfs in particular ways. I will do my best to explain below.

Also there are some bugs I have come across that may or may not be related to the beta, so I am posting here to cover all of what I have taken note of. All of this is coming from v2.1 bet 3 to bet 5 game play.

First, bugs:

• Bug One

• On several occasions I have had squads return to HQ and attempted to manually reinforce them. The unit(s) have been idle, I have had plenty of resources, all models returned and plenty of pop cap was up but the reinforce button is inaccessible. This has not happened to me in retail, except maybe what could be a VERY short lived example...maybe. Is the mod putting too much stress on the engine and causing this to happen? Something else?

The most obvious case was plasma devs needing another model... it took close to a 45secs-1min to be able to reinforce them.

• Bug Two

• While playing a 2v2 recently against nids and SM Techmarine, for some reason only 1 model of all my squads moved from HQ to attack. I could not get them to attack as full squads until I retreated again. This is apparent in the replay and occurred again later on in another case, map was 2v2 Ashes of Typhon.

• Bug Three

• In the same match my tactical marine flamer squad 'faced' themselves to death upon a dev squad's many bullets. After I had capped a VP they were left idle for a moment. The Techmarine dev squad happened to be setting up just in range of the flamer (I guess?) and they took it upon themselves to move to close range and attempt flaming the heavy bolter nearly straight on. I know I did not touch the squad or make them move after the cap because I was too busy with the Tyranid Termagaunt spam on my side. Also, I would have engaged in melee since the forward flame unit managed to get outside of the setup cone. It appeared only 1 model of the squad was attacking yet again.

Further more, there have been a few other instances of odd behavior with the SM flamer tactical squad off and on. Several times I have found the flame squad idle after telling them to move somewhere (not 'attack-move', which is very buggy of course with the fog of war coming and going). Is it that they are trying to attack anything in range while moving, but then losing range or sight due to FOW (similar to attack-move idle state problem) on an enemy?

*the range seems good on the SM flame unit, perhaps a touch long considering garrisons are still meant to be part of the game.... correct? A suppression crew will most certainly have a hard time keeping the squad far enough away in a 1-on-1 contest. Seems too cheese to me, especially considering the static flame increase damage for garrisons in the mod, plus range and damage increasefor the flamer now--with a price reduction at that--the SM flame squad seems more like a patch to help SM's against infantry spam and other balance issues. And 65/15 is just a weird cost for something that is plenty powerful if you know how to micro and get the tacs in melee. Honestly, the retail flamer is plenty decent (does need range) but you gotta know how to micro and where it will be effective (e.g IG GM's or Banshee etc).

• Maps

• Argent Shelf redux seems great, nice work!

Armageddon River crossing is awesome, however: while crossing any of the middle bridges (either side) units oddly walk off the sides and appear to be in the water occasionally, . Plus, several times I have had units stand off to the side of the large building, not go in. Some sort of pathing bug I assume. Additionally, an ASM squad of got stuck trying to jump away near the mid VP and just sat there twitching and bugging out. I had to retreat them out through enemy units. Again, perhaps a pathing issue.

*Also, in the larger building in the middle of Armageddon River Crossing, units using the side windows seem to often lose aim. This was very apparent with the plasma dev squad I had in the building

**We need better or new 2v2 (redux) maps, finished and in the install bundle!

• Retreat issues

• Similarly to the issue of not being able to reinforce units, pressing X and not getting a retreat seems to be an increasingly worse issue in the mod. I have selected a unit carefully and pressed X, then pressed it multiple times even looking at my finger pressing and releasing the X key and nothing is happening. Granted, players (myself included) need to learn to do better at not being in a crisis retreat situation under major battle conditions in the game. But I thought I would note that the known retreat 'stall/bug' seems to be getting worse. Perhaps it is a beta issue?

Second, notes (mostly v2.1 beta 3-5):

Gonna try to just make this simple and quick. Note that I am speaking more from a point and view of how games or matches play out NOT about the specifics of the numbers going on.

• Eldar

• All too often Banshee live through waaay too much I am finding--even early on--and now with the 25 red decrease to purchase webway gates I am seeing lots of early squad wipes... especially with the way guardians are now. What has been done to 'shee? I know that to some degree they have been nerfed, but each model seems to be surviving too easily and/or for too long.

Guardians: because their grenade toss and retreat is so fast in animation, plasma nade spiking with retreat is extremely common. Even if I have clearly won a fight, pushed an Eldar player off and engaged the guardians in melee (with say, SM Tacs and FC) it is all too easy for the Eldar player to pull off an early game-changer and wipe my squad(s) with a plasma grenade spike or two (usually 2). Not only does this screw up a game, all too often guardians take far too little in losses now.

*all grenades should have a SMALL range requirement/minimum distance. Except for more elite squads (e.g. IG Storm troopers) Grenade spiking should not be allowed. Early on it plays out more like an exploit.

Getting LOS nearly anywhere on a map is very easy, especially in 2v2 or 3v3. Those webway gates should not be so cheap in red. 25 decrease is quite a bit for something that can be used to fully flank and possibly wipe armies in T1 (burrow tunnels also seem to be too easily placed at times)

Watched a Fire Prism reduce a Land Raider redeemer to ruble in about 4 or 5 shots also, no good there in resource and build-time cost vs. balance at all.

• Chaos

• Having added raptors, Chaos's synergy and ability to just plan run over SM's in 1v1 and keep any map control down early on is pretty ridiculous in the hands of an experienced Chaos player...there is a reason jumping melee was not included for Chaos in retail.

The a-typical Chaos build against SM is usually: A Chaos Lord, 2 heretic squads (one grenade launcher, one AC later), 2 CSM's and raptors. Followed by Noise Marines and a CSM dreadnought in T2:

that makes for painful AOE splash/anti-garrison that takes little to no micro and that can sit outside of range/fog-of-war, then heavy melee suppression/jumping interrupt heavy melee, plenty of ranged CSM damage and of course the Chaos lord melee who walks through needed cover and suppression of any kind. Just in T1....

The only T1 melee counter is ASM's (unless you are Force Commander build, and even then you can dodge the FC special attack/interrupt with good micro, pretty easily). Thus, Chaos has the ability to easily counter necessary setup crews for SM, then suppress and overwhelm crucial SM's units who are melee-damage-weak. Sure, scouts with nades and shotty's are good, but can easily be interrupted and removed by so much melee. And by the time they have engaged so much to support, much of the map is lost because heretics are cheap and move reasonably fast.

Plain and simple, Chaos seems to be what all the other factions are catching up to... and after many many hours of Space Marine play in the last month SM's are a long way off. (read summary later for more)

• Imperial Guard

• Imperial guard seem great, but bunkers and Lord General retinue still all largely suck. Also, the mine drop ability synergizes far too highly with manticore strikes. I lost a full health lvl 2 Tac squad with sarge, plus a dev squad, all to mines going off from the manticore strike. Squads were at the fringe of the strike and only one strike was direct, maybe 3 or 4 mines in the area. Those mines are plenty effective on their own, and should not stack damage so heavily with the manti strike. A later strike removed a full health pred (with armor upgrade) and another squad of plasma devs, again maybe 2 or 3 mines in area; non-direct, nor were the manti strikes direct except 1 on the pred. And most of the mines went off while squads were in mid air...

IG are plenty synerg-ist already, what with easy and devastating vehicle counters, and lots of traps to interrupt or stun. The manticore is nasty on it's own, and with so much infantry able to smoke other infantry very fast in the later game (when a manticore shows up to add to the pwn'n). It is not hard to get the mines dropped in a common area and pull such a thing off, and yet veteran squads are wiped with little to no engagement cost or resource cost from the IG player (150 req? +little to no losses on field).

With the speed increases to vehicle rotation etc., the Baneblade looks more like a big, kinda sluggish, dune buggy rolling over everything. Too fast now.

*also played a game with 3 IG players who saved hard for Baneblades. The map was won and most resources were held or nuked by our team until Tier 3; we all had reasonably full armies as well. Yet 3 Baneblades showed up, with some repair bunkers put down nearby and there was nothing any of us could do to get in, decap/cap VP's or fight back for that matter. 3 BB's being allowed in a 3v3 doesn't work, nor are BB's supposed to be that common... manticore spam was ridiculous too. Ever think of limiting the number of Ultra's and/or heavy arty for 3v3 or 2v2 matches? Would balance things out some.

• Tyranid

• The match mentioned above (regarding the Nid and Techmarine) resulted in 4 squads of termagants showing up, with toxin sacs on all 4. Due to a Techmarine beacon nearby, there was near no way to ever keep power up or engage units effectively enough since the toxin sacs allowed for a 'rolling interrupt' and pin of crucial melee units, and if the 'endless swarm' of ranged nid juice did not do it then the SM had plenty of suppression and options as well. Even jumping melee from both me and my teammate could not get the job done because either the Tyranid player, or the Techmarine player, would reinforce at the beacon easily enough (with a defense bonus!). Stack with that the Hive Tyrant's ability to buff etc... I watched 2 squads of heavy shoota's take nearly no models off a termagant squad. Further, attacking the beacon or other suppression crews (Devs etc) only resulted in the terms using crippling poison and firing down on any units that could get close enough to engage with...well, anything. With a few exceptions (and NOT building power) there was simply no way to get a victory in a 500 VP game. Also, even just 3 termagant squads can remove a power gen in 5-10 seconds (maybe faster). Same for shoota spam and so on. Kinda lame when a balanced game requires gens to stick around with some consistency until T2.

Playing Tyranids I have found they are too cheap, upkeep is quite low and just too spam heavy. I understand Tyranids should be overwhelming in 'style of play', but it is not working out in 'balance by in-balance' just yet.

• Space Marines

• They need something more. Perhaps a (Hellfire?) grenade option for the Sternguard, or something more for T1? Perhaps a small decrease in Tactical Marine upkeep? And why remove the melee damage reduction in For the Emperor, for non Sternguard squads? Not like it is cheap or like you can't lose your sarge..

Going double Tacs is commonly only good for Apo in 1v1, or only something to do in 3v3. Otherwise the SM Econ is just too slow and SM combat options are easily countered and rendered ineffective against so many other infantry 'melee-swarm' options from other factions right now.

The FC chainsword and shield is very nice and quite boss. However, I still do not understand the need to increase FC wargear cost so very much. Also, the hammer really should have a chance to do some kind of lightening damage. The splash was ridiculous, but was largely left in to counter spam infantry in retail that attempt to overwhelm the less in number Astartes.... spam still happens plenty in the mod. So something like a 15%-30% chance of maybe an effect similar to the lightening claws in retail could be great. The hammer is supposed to be epic and is a huge chance not choosing the Fist, which gives great AV and generally good all-around damage.

• Orks

• Orks seem the best balanced of all in my experience, and play very 'orky'. Gotta love the Kommando now. But those Sticks... the increase in melee skill for stick bomba's currently means SM tacs and other ranged squads can't touch them (unless they want to take decent losses) except by ranged fire mostly...and staying at range they gonna die from the grenades quite heavily; a good throw means a wipe, especially with 2 squads around.Seems a bit too much in synergy in regard to an artillery-type squad being melee neutral to so many other squads or even melee heavy in the right circumstances. Perhaps the refresh rate on the sticks is a little fast now with the changes? Maybe make them tougher but with less melee skill or damage. They do fold to damage and lose models like so much cheap paper in a windstorm, but their ability to shred squads, do knock-back and hold off or pwn in melee seems a bit much for a T2 arty unit. Especially since Orks have tremendous melee damage potential over all, reducing ranged armies to rubble in mere seconds with a good 'drop' on an opponent.

• Gay--I mean Greay Knights :P

• Really enjoy the changes, but Psycannon nuke all now and can snipe vehicles super easy. I prefer them the way they were :lol: . Lack of setup seems to be tricky for game balance when they can do so much damage to key targets and just retreat with no setup delay. I just don't think the lack of setup works out with how much ranged damage they seem able to take.

The GK dreadnought is a beast, and even my FC assault termies--with a SM rocket squad in support and a heavy bolter dev squad--could not take it down without a model loss to the termies (nearly 2) and a tacs model before it covered some 50 yards of distance and got help. At least 2 sources of strong AV are needed to handle the thing, and it will own near all until removed. The only thing effective enough right away seems to be another dreadnought. The cost of the GK dready is not enough for something so potent. How about 500/135: Really gotta want that thing out there and have to take care NOT to lose it. (if that is a problem for the GK roster and econ, adjust elsewhere?) Damned thing is just a 'cherry pick' and can turn an entire match around on it's own against even 2-3 other players (unless all players happen to have a very solid balance of AV and even then must all focus on the GK dread).

• Summary

• Veteran players who are very good at a game are often not the best to consult for designing/balancing games. Great for stress-testing balance sure, but generally speaking 'elite' players have a very skewed view of how to balance a game. All too often vet players get into a view and discussion of hard numbers and hard 'micro' play as a means to balance; experts will always have a rather narrow view of just how to fix things the way they seem them (technocratic, technocracy kinda thing). This certainly feels to be the case somewhat in the mod currently.

Finesse--or 'good micro'--should be important things to achieve, like any other sport really. For example. I can 'good micro' my grenades, which is not hard at all and very devastating, but the other player needs to micro even better to dodge and also choose good tactics to counter. Thus, just because I can move fast and stealth my scouts into position for a good grenade hit, I should not be allowed to so easily reduce the match to a heavy advantage for me or my team in just the first minute and a half, all because I can do good micro. It should not be the end-all place to get.

I can figure out how to snipe a vehicle just fine with good micro. But is it in balance to allow for vehicles--that cost so much and need a lot of attention from the player--to be snared and damaged so easily? And to have those squads that do AV so well, also now be so effective against infantry? Vehicles in general deserve a little more survivability, not just movement speed increases.

All too often in Elite squads or vehicles are outright wiped very fast from some kind of 'micro-heavy' behavior. Sure, we all need to learn to pay attention, line up right, scout ahead, keep vehicles back, get spotters, not over commit, learn how the game is played and so on. But there is a limit to how much 'micro-heavy' play is balanced play for any game; there is a limit to how much 'good micro' should be allowed to exploit factors, or how much 'good micro' should be rewarded, even for the most experienced player. Good knowledge of the game, good tactics and a good build should be at the heart of balance. Right now it feels like either a good Chaos build and/or being very good at Eldar micro rules all in the mod.

Fin

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Castle on Sun 24 Feb, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Castle
Level 2

Re: Some bullet points...

Postby Castle » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 1:04 am

Additionally I forgot to add:

We need more 2v2 maps, some redux 2v2 would be great.

In Calderis refinery maps, the mid level platforms (holding power or VPs etc) to the left and right sides, near the center, are bugged. You can shoot through the upper corners and units can be targeted through the corners. I have a replay of at least one major instance of this.

*actually seems to be the entire block/platform half the time. watched a beamy deff gun again shoot through the block, but was below in the center area this time.
Castle
Level 2

Postby Castle » Sun 24 Feb, 2013 1:22 pm

Made some major typo corrections, clarity adjustments and added notes on the GK and Orks. Few other things here and there.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Mon 25 Feb, 2013 9:13 pm

Most of the balance side I can't really comment but thanks for your thoughtful post.

Castle wrote:bugs

Hard to say based on just that. Can't think of anything that would make reinforcement bug.

Castle wrote:my tactical marine flamer squad 'faced' themselves to death upon a dev squad's many bullets. After I had capped a VP they were left idle for a moment. The Techmarine dev squad happened to be setting up just in range of the flamer (I guess?) and they took it upon themselves to move to close range and attempt flaming the heavy bolter nearly straight on.

So they were close enough to attack and died to lack of attention? Doesn't sound like a bug?

Castle wrote:considering the static flame increase damage for garrisons in the mod

The what?

Castle wrote:I thought I would note that the known retreat 'stall/bug' seems to be getting worse. Perhaps it is a beta issue?

Can't see how, we didn't do anything to retreat.

Castle wrote:Watched a Fire Prism reduce a Land Raider redeemer to ruble in about 4 or 5 shots also, no good there in resource and build-time cost vs. balance at all.

Prism cannon does max 70 on explosive, 160 on focused (plasma cannon damage so 1.0 multiplier vs vehicle) and LRRs have 2500 health so that can't be right... 16 shots on focused, 36 shots on explosive from those figures...

Castle wrote:reinforce at the beacon easily enough (with a defense bonus!)

Relay Beacon damage resistance was removed some time ago.

Castle wrote:And why remove the melee damage reduction in For the Emperor, for non Sternguard squads?

Que?
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 3:18 am

if they were all rear armour shots a fire prism *might* be able to kill a land raider in that many shots. given that there is 8 seconds between shots, and assuming none of those shots bug, that's like a minute. not an issue with the fire prism being over powered.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 5:25 am

Land Raiders don't have rear armor (or the game identifies it, but they take normal damage) so it doesn't matter what direction you shoot them from.

Even if they were changed to standard tank armor functionality, the rear damage multiplier for other tanks is 1.5 so that would make 105 or 240 damage meaning 24 or 11 shots.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 6:03 am

i'm tired, i keep forgetting stuff like that. out of curiosity, is my memory correct that the little notifier comes up saying rear armour or do i have that good of an imagination? i'm pretty sure it does on the baneblade, which shouldn't have rear armour. nm, i'm really tired, baneblades do have rear armour.
Castle
Level 2

Postby Castle » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 11:45 am

Just watched a replay of a beta 6 3v3 on Argus Shelf Redux map:

Noticed dev squads having trouble finding LOS and not firing from below the old destroyed bunker (mid, slightly left if going up the hill). It is either the bunker or what was a wall (now a hill) blocking LOS or firing ability of some sort
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 11:49 am

The destroyed bunker on Argent Shelf Redux blocks LoS. It's not a bug in as much as it's just not obvious from its very ruined appearance.
Castle
Level 2

Postby Castle » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 12:07 pm

Castle wrote:my tactical marine flamer squad 'faced' themselves to death upon a dev squad's many bullets. After I had capped a VP they were left idle for a moment. The Techmarine dev squad happened to be setting up just in range of the flamer (I guess?) and they took it upon themselves to move to close range and attempt flaming the heavy bolter nearly straight on.
Lulgrim wrote:So they were close enough to attack and died to lack of attention? Doesn't sound like a bug?

Actually they were a long way off, looking back at the replay. Rather odd they engaged is the thing. In the end they did die because I was not paying attention enough, it's true. But just the forward model engaging, and at some 20 meters to a squad that should have been in FOW) on their own is weird.

Castle wrote:considering the static flame increase damage for garrisons in the mod
Lulgrim wrote:The what?

"I read on the Elite wikia (under 'general changes'): Inferno_pvp damage against buildings increased from 0.1 to 0.2 and against light/defence/ig_turret increased from 0.2 to 0.4."

I am still a bit of a noob at this, but I thought damage in garrisons was generally increased...or at least the effectiveness of certain garrison attacks.

Castle wrote:Watched a Fire Prism reduce a Land Raider redeemer to ruble in about 4 or 5 shots also, no good there in resource and build-time cost vs. balance at all.
Lulgrim wrote:Prism cannon does max 70 on explosive, 160 on focused (plasma cannon damage so 1.0 multiplier vs vehicle) and LRRs have 2500 health so that can't be right... 16 shots on focused, 36 shots on explosive from those figures...

I might have looked away for 5-7 seconds. Thus, perhaps it was 11 shots (very very much doubt it)...either way it was not many.

*As for the beacon defense buff being removed, good to know the defense buff is gone (don't play Techmarine much). Still, Termagaunt crippling poison spam was hard to counter with any time left in a 500 VP game, especially backed by a Techmarine and a bunch of setup crews--to say the least. Seems like maybe it needs more refresh or more econ cost if it can shut a game down that fast.

All for now, thanks for the responses guys!
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 1:59 pm

Castle wrote:I read on the Elite wikia (under 'general changes'): "Inferno_pvp damage against buildings increased from 0.1 to 0.2 and against light/defence/ig_turret increased from 0.2 to 0.4."

I am still a bit of a noob at this, but I thought damage in garrisons was generally increased...or at least the effectiveness of certain garrison attacks.

Inferno is the damage type of Mark of Tzeentch CSM. They now deal 100% more damage to buildings (but not infantry inside buildings).

Garrisons are untouched in Elite.
Castle
Level 2

Postby Castle » Thu 28 Feb, 2013 11:48 pm

Indrid wrote:The destroyed bunker on Argent Shelf Redux blocks LoS. It's not a bug in as much as it's just not obvious from its very ruined appearance.

iiinteresting. All good maps have quirks you should know about :) , thus good to know!
Castle
Level 2

Postby Castle » Fri 01 Mar, 2013 12:05 am

Lulgrim wrote:
Castle wrote:I read on the Elite wikia (under 'general changes'): "Inferno_pvp damage against buildings increased from 0.1 to 0.2 and against light/defence/ig_turret increased from 0.2 to 0.4."

Inferno is the damage type of Mark of Tzeentch CSM. They now deal 100% more damage to buildings (but not infantry inside buildings).

Garrisons are untouched in Elite.

Ok, thanks and good to know now for sure ;) Probably best to clarify such things in (change) logs and wikia. Noob or no noob "inferno_pvp" sounds and reads like flamer being used on garrison etc/ Not anything having to do with MoT CSM or just against building structure.

But jeebuz, there are so many ways to wipe a squad in a garrison. I realize it is meant to be a gamble and has a certain pay off--and needs to be supported--but I think it is a little too easy to wipe squads out in garrisons on the whole. Besides if it is too tough for a player or a team at the time, they can just avoid the garrison on most maps and the units just sit idle camping. A garrison is a reasonable means to saving a squad, but is then too easy to drop grenades into. Sure, sometimes those grenades do little to no damage, but that is very rare.

In general it would be nice to see the 'nade timers increased by about .7 to maybe a full second. If someone is going to grenade micro me, I should be given a chance to micro in and out of garrisons and be able to move my tacs away from that damned fast Eldar plasma grenade...

As it stands now, 90% of the time, if you throw a plasma grenade just behind a tactical SM squad or similar in speed unit that is in cover, there is nothing that can be done unless very well anticipated ahead of time. If I am right there, I should be able to move to mitigate damage somewhat.

Also speaking of P-nades, some time ago my Force Commander got dropped by 2 friendly plasma grenades that landed right at his feet. He had full health, near full Iron Halo and Armor of Alacrity with level 2 XP. He was right in the center of the plasma grenade discharge and was instantly dropped. Is that supposed to be the usual case for heroes and plasma grenades? Seems a bit much...

Thanks again :geek:
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Fri 01 Mar, 2013 8:45 am

Castle wrote:Also speaking of P-nades, some time ago my Force Commander got dropped by 2 friendly plasma grenades that landed right at his feet. He had full health, near full Iron Halo and Armor of Alacrity with level 2 XP. He was right in the center of the plasma grenade discharge and was instantly dropped. Is that supposed to be the usual case for heroes and plasma grenades? Seems a bit much...

Plasma grenades do a maximum of 260 damage with 0.75 multiplier for commander armor so that would make a maximum of 390 damage from 2 grenades (can't remember friendly fire multiplier for nades, it's probably 1 or close enough). Can't see how that would kill an FC unless there was something else involved.
Castle
Level 2

Postby Castle » Fri 01 Mar, 2013 12:34 pm

Lulgrim wrote:
Castle wrote:Also speaking of P-nades, some time ago my Force Commander got dropped by 2 friendly plasma grenades that landed right at his feet. He had full health, near full Iron Halo and Armor of Alacrity with level 2 XP. He was right in the center of the plasma grenade discharge and was instantly dropped. Is that supposed to be the usual case for heroes and plasma grenades? Seems a bit much...

Plasma grenades do a maximum of 260 damage with 0.75 multiplier for commander armor so that would make a maximum of 390 damage from 2 grenades (can't remember friendly fire multiplier for nades, it's probably 1 or close enough). Can't see how that would kill an FC unless there was something else involved.

No, nothing else. Opposing team was in full retreat (hence the friendly fire mistake). Something is up with them I think. But all nades can have a varying chance of success. Still, dropping the FC like that was a total shocker
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 01 Mar, 2013 1:42 pm

Could you provide the replay please?
Because frankly this isn't possible.
Castle
Level 2

Postby Castle » Sun 03 Mar, 2013 8:07 am

Dark Riku wrote:Could you provide the replay please?
Because frankly this isn't possible.

Wow...

"Frankly" it is possible because it did happen, and "frankly" I don't waste my time posting about things that did not happen...as implied by your reply here.

Why should I have bothered to save the replay? It was about a month and a half ago and it seemed possible at the time, and somewhat incidental. I realize now--by the numbers explained by Lulgrim--that it is/was indeed odd. You will just have to take my word for it. My guess is that the two grenades fell very close to each other, but not on the exact same spot, and somehow amplified the damaged done across each other; a sort of 'chunky salsa' effect. Someone really should take a better look at how Plasma Grenades actually work out overall (others have mentioned odd success/failure and odd behavior from the plasma grenade) .

Not sure who my teammate was right now (maybe Arthel?), but I will see what I can do to further--'frankly'--prove that this happened :P There was nothing else going on battle-wise, there was nothing else that could have caused the occurrence. Not even close. Period. 2 plasma grenades right on top of FC = dropped FC
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Sun 03 Mar, 2013 1:18 pm

It shouldn't really be possible. Unless there were some modifiers that improved it's effect, for an example, Doom // Beam Scorch

Only then, there would be a possible 2-shot grenade kill. But it's relatively far-fetched.
Castle
Level 2

Postby Castle » Sun 03 Mar, 2013 1:25 pm

Caeltos wrote:It shouldn't really be possible. Unless there were some modifiers that improved it's effect, for an example, Doom // Beam Scorch

Only then, there would be a possible 2-shot grenade kill. But it's relatively far-fetched.

Again, nope. Happened early too. All enemies in retreat. Nothing that could have done it. Don't know what to tell ya :?
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 9:29 pm

perhaps cloaked sniper scouts/rangers?
#noobcodex
Castle
Level 2

Postby Castle » Tue 05 Mar, 2013 5:25 am

Nurland wrote:perhaps cloaked sniper scouts/rangers?

Well, FC with armor of alac, full health and Iron halo up is still not going down from any of that per se. And I don't recall any snipy's in the counter build. The Plasma Nades were friendly fire is the thing...
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Thu 07 Mar, 2013 9:45 pm

Well I suppose it was just some random glitch or something then.
#noobcodex

Return to “Balance Discussion”