GK intorceptor squades

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
SirSid
Level 2

GK intorceptor squades

Postby SirSid » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 6:25 am

Iv been working with the GK army alot and been having tons of fun ;)

Been really good working on builds with a race whare nothing is hashed out into stone yet

Any ways i found something that so far i have not been beat with so i thought id pass it on and see what the pros can do with it. Personaly i think it way to powerfull at the time it can be brought to the field. Hopefully i am proved wrong.

So basicaly the problem is with no minimum jump range on the intorceptors, what im doing is creating chain kockback early t2. so far is can go up against any other melley build and win ( i think )

Hears the build

strike squade > node > Secound node, if u can hold it ( u probley can ) > intorceptors > 2 gens > stortroper upgrades if u need kockback from nades > the secound armour on BC ( i can't remember names the 1 with cancale of absolution ) > 2 more gens ( total 4 )

Ok so u push hard in t1 just to delay till t2. I ususaly do not try a gen bash i just get as much capping ASAP as i can and use melley SS . spaming BC buff to gain speed to help with capping.

t2> Intorceptor melley upgrade and leader > Strike squade justicar > Lictor hook ability for BC ( again sorry don't know it's name )

Now u push hard.

The trick is dropping the enregey well / anti ability whare u want the engagment, however the strike squade enregey spike ability needs to be spamed on the intorceptors right after the first jump into the well , lead with the brother captain/strike squade then jump in intorceptors. u get a secound jump again right on top of the engaged unit, then use your red resoars melley buff on the strike squade NOT the intorcetors, u do this to get crasy kockback on them. U can jump again to any range unit with intorceptors unit. Keep spaming the enregy spike to the intorceptors whenever u get a chance.

This back and forth with the intorceptors into and out of the buff area creats max enregey for jumps to anyware they need , just keep the strike squade close ish to leach to them. with 2 units full of enregy sent all 1 ability that dose kockback on use u have massive control of the battel.

The lash on the Brother captain can be used 2 ways . 1 to force a engagment on any unit that has a commander , or 2 to remove a very dangrous unit from the melley units in the buff area, The buff from his wepon upgrade helps with speed for retreat kills. also the amount of kockbacks from the SS and Intorceptors means early retreats are nessasary from enemey or squade whipe could happen fast, Even vs knorn mariens or geenstealers, especialy since u can dual retreat path jump if u time it right.

Wow so long a post sorry.

I think it's to strong on the bounds only that u can jump at 0 range with the intorceptors , that's what makes it really crazy. IF the intorceptors had the small change to the same minimum jump range that ASM have i think the problem of it being insane would be fixed. It would still be strong however the fact u can chain kockback any attacking melly squade would be fixed balancing the unit a tad . Not a nurf but a "alinment" to the chain kockback potential.

Sorry for the long post i hope im proved wrong on it being nuts but iv not had losses with it since i have forced the build in fights .

Comments sugestions on the build are welcome. Sorry for grammer more than a few beers and scotch wher comsumed during the making of this post.
Tex
Level 4

Re: GK intorceptor squades

Postby Tex » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 1:22 pm

Currently it isn't too strong and here's why:

Building interceptors in a 1v1 is a strait up go ahead for your enemy to get vehicles and completely destroy you. Further, GK have a hard time with map control and having only 3 squads to guard 2 gens farms seems highly improbable to me.

Also, consider that interceptors are MORE expensive than asm's in t1 and yet they are weaker than asm's in t1.

Just my thoughts. I'm obviously going to give it another try, but toilalee and myself both tried something very close to this build many times, and as much as it provides mass knockback, it doesn't provide a complete AV solution, and the same result will always happen: you will overspend on your units and not have enough left to fully counter a vehicle.
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 1:23 pm

Try writing in correct English and perhaps I'll bother reading your post.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 4:13 pm

Tex wrote:Currently it isn't too strong and here's why:

Building interceptors in a 1v1 is a strait up go ahead for your enemy to get vehicles and completely destroy you. Further, GK have a hard time with map control and having only 3 squads to guard 2 gens farms seems highly improbable to me.

Also, consider that interceptors are MORE expensive than asm's in t1 and yet they are weaker than asm's in t1.

Just my thoughts. I'm obviously going to give it another try, but toilalee and myself both tried something very close to this build many times, and as much as it provides mass knockback, it doesn't provide a complete AV solution, and the same result will always happen: you will overspend on your units and not have enough left to fully counter a vehicle.

They certainly aren't weaker than ASM in t1. They have equal HP but way more damage and a better special. The synergy they have with the BC is also just as strong as any asm-sm hero synergies too.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 4:30 pm

If the GK player spends all that power in T1, then kite him out until you can get a walker vehicle. He will have no counter to it (krak nades are meh and pyscannon on a strike squad deals only very soft AV)

And interceptor jump doesn't do knockback until T2, and that requires their justicar, which is 25 power (and doesn't help counter vehicles).

Interceptors also get no melee disruption from merciless strike like ASM do, so their jump not having a minimum range is fine.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 4:42 pm

They cost the same as ASM power-wise, but they cost 50 req more (same as retail ASM though), and they teleport which is instant compared to a jump, sure it's not much but it actually counts, if you react fast enough you can avoid a jump, but you cannot avoid a teleport.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 8:30 pm

That Torpid Gamer wrote:

They certainly aren't weaker than ASM in t1. They have equal HP but way more damage and a better special. The synergy they have with the BC is also just as strong as any asm-sm hero synergies too.

Sometimes I wonder about you torpid. How could you ever think that GKI's are "certainly not weaker" than ASM's in T1? They are more expensive and their jump doesn't provide a knockback until a justicar is purchased.

That alone ends your argument. If you don't think so, then you clearly don't use both units.

I'm not even sure if GKI's do indeed have more damage and better specials, but it doesn't matter. Knockback on command and 50 req cheaper makes all the difference.
SirSid
Level 2

Postby SirSid » Sun 15 Sep, 2013 10:27 pm

Well im finding the kockback on command much MUCH better with intorceptors than ASM u have to be t2 to get kockback on ether unit so no big deal thare.

As far as dealing with walkers , i deal with them how i always deal with them as GK. Get a purigations squade and upgrade it . In fact with this build u have "better" av options since u can get a nade .

It's not great i mean lets face it GK AV just sucks, even dual purigation seems to be easy to avoid. Paladins are the only hard AV that they seem to have however the coast and time to get them is no counter to a walker.

Iv managed to kill a few walkers just with isolation and melley bloping them but this is damgrous and hard to pull off.

I would not consider the build bad simply dew to the fact it lacks AV since the army as a whole lacks AV
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 12:04 am

Tex wrote:
That Torpid Gamer wrote:

Sometimes I wonder about you torpid. How could you ever think that GKI's are "certainly not weaker" than ASM's in T1? They are more expensive and their jump doesn't provide a knockback until a justicar is purchased.

That alone ends your argument. If you don't think so, then you clearly don't use both units.

I'm not even sure if GKI's do indeed have more damage and better specials, but it doesn't matter. Knockback on command and 50 req cheaper makes all the difference.

The way you wrote it I thought you meant they were weaker ignoring the cost difference, which they certainly aren't. ASM do 27 DPS whereas GKI do 31. Their special also seems to telegraph faster and do a lot more damage, but that might just be me. Overall for the price asm are better and are more versatile with their superior anti-melee and anti-vehicle utility in t2, however ignoring the costs GKI are no worse than asm.

I think I may have blurred my point by saying that though. Ultimately the units again function differently. I don't feel GKI are meant to tank like ASM are despite them having equal hitpoints. The canticle gives them far more mobility and they do a lot more dps and are more killy than asm. Strikes can also tank melee far better than tacs can and so can the BC so you don't need your GKI to be doing that as much. Then in t2 rather than becoming a defence against melee and AV they become a elite melee squad kinda similar to t2 vanguards except without power weapons.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 12:05 am

SirSid wrote:Well im finding the kockback on command much MUCH better with intorceptors than ASM u have to be t2 to get kockback on ether unit so no big deal thare.

As far as dealing with walkers , i deal with them how i always deal with them as GK. Get a purigations squade and upgrade it . In fact with this build u have "better" av options since u can get a nade .

It's not great i mean lets face it GK AV just sucks, even dual purigation seems to be easy to avoid. Paladins are the only hard AV that they seem to have however the coast and time to get them is no counter to a walker.

Iv managed to kill a few walkers just with isolation and melley bloping them but this is damgrous and hard to pull off.

I would not consider the build bad simply dew to the fact it lacks AV since the army as a whole lacks AV

You appear to be forgetting about the lascannon rhino though. Combining a psycannon on your SS, a lascannon rhino and then canticle + GKI with the krak grenades is a solid walker counter and then you can get the GK libby to deal with any elite melee squads they may field and to further support those interceptors.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 12:18 am

Melta Dread might also be considered "quite" hard AV.
#noobcodex
SirSid
Level 2

Postby SirSid » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 1:23 am

Humm the lazz cannon transport. I do always forget about that option.That might be the best option to this build for AV dew to the stun nade on the intorceptors and chace ability.

Getting out a dread will be very hard since u are getting alot of wargear and squad leaders.

Also i don't like getting a dread as AV with any race .
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 2:47 am

Tex wrote:
That Torpid Gamer wrote:

Grey Knights Interceptor have quite an edge in terms of raw damage potential. They also have a significant better scaling potential, with their Nemesis Focus upgrade, which not only increases their health, but also their damage by a small sum.

With a Justicar, they deal roughly 140 dps combined. That's almost as much as Purifier Squad. The offset is of course, having just 1 power weapon, but still - their dps is nothing to be scoffed at, espicially once you start combining the strength and abilities of the GK's.

Alot of the GK's fundemental design is built on the ground up on synergy and utilizing their abilities, to maximize your effiency in combat.

Librarian 'Purge' ability, can be used on vehicles, much similiar to a "Mark Target", which amplifies the damage the target takes for a period of time. Apply "Shrouding" // "Might of Titan" to furthermore excel the damage spikes.

In order for Interceptors to work in their respective enviroment, one is to look for Librarian/GK Lascannon Rhino/Purgations combinations of them, and/or possibly lure vehicles into chokes (or overextensions) with the Stormtrooper mines to easier get the vehicle kill. It depends on ones playstyle, but you'll have to play accordingly to get it all to mesh up together and work.

This is something that sets them apart from their somewhat counterparts of Chaos/Space Marines that have more reliant independant units to deal with things. However, GK's offer abit more flexibility as you progressively start to invest in your units. For an example, the Librarian whilst might provide you with the "abilities" to deal with vehicles, you can't needlessly throw it away - instead you're focusing on 'Purge' and abilitiy combinations to deal with a target, once the target is eliminated, he doesn't neccasarily become a burden, like for let's say, Lascannons (etc) , since the Librarian/misc stuff still continous to provide with overall functional end-game goals.
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 5:35 pm

From what I can see , there are two chief issues with the interceptors.

In t1 they are simply too expensive in an army of expensive t1 units.

In t2 the lack of a min jump ranged combined with the short tele cooldown and CA (three jumps in one fight basically) makes them to strong.

Really I think this could be fixed if they take off some req maybe 50 or so and maybe 5 power off of the interceptors , but increase the teleport cool down. I say this because the main issue everyone has with them is the ability to basically spam disruption while already in melee.

If we lengthen the time between teleports it will lessen the ability for gk to exploit the essentially infinite energy they can give to their interceptors with CA and the strike justi.

But i dont think we should add a minimum range to the jump. When you think about it asm have the ability to do double disruption in t2, jump then the aoe strike, So if we bump the number of jumps on the interceptors down to match the asm ( 2 disruptions down from 3 -4) we should be set.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 7:29 pm

Why not copy past asm into the roster then? ~
They shouldn't be the same. They are quite fine imo.
And yes they can combo well if you opt to go for that particular piece of wargear.
But what's wrong with that?
Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 8:53 pm

Grey Knights Interceptor have quite an edge in terms of raw damage potential. They also have a significant better scaling potential, with their Nemesis Focus upgrade, which not only increases their health, but also their damage by a small sum.

With a Justicar, they deal roughly 140 dps combined. That's almost as much as Purifier Squad. The offset is of course, having just 1 power weapon, but still - their dps is nothing to be scoffed at, espicially once you start combining the strength and abilities of the GK's.

Alot of the GK's fundemental design is built on the ground up on synergy and utilizing their abilities, to maximize your effiency in combat.

Librarian 'Purge' ability, can be used on vehicles, much similiar to a "Mark Target", which amplifies the damage the target takes for a period of time. Apply "Shrouding" // "Might of Titan" to furthermore excel the damage spikes.

In order for Interceptors to work in their respective enviroment, one is to look for Librarian/GK Lascannon Rhino/Purgations combinations of them, and/or possibly lure vehicles into chokes (or overextensions) with the Stormtrooper mines to easier get the vehicle kill. It depends on ones playstyle, but you'll have to play accordingly to get it all to mesh up together and work.

This is something that sets them apart from their somewhat counterparts of Chaos/Space Marines that have more reliant independant units to deal with things. However, GK's offer abit more flexibility as you progressively start to invest in your units. For an example, the Librarian whilst might provide you with the "abilities" to deal with vehicles, you can't needlessly throw it away - instead you're focusing on 'Purge' and abilitiy combinations to deal with a target, once the target is eliminated, he doesn't neccasarily become a burden, like for let's say, Lascannons (etc) , since the Librarian/misc stuff still continous to provide with overall functional end-game goals.

i think this is biggest realization i had with GK. much more so than SM and Chaos is that you need to use abilities ALOT more that synergize. In playing SM and Chaos i get used to the fire and forget mentality. With GK you start stacking their melee buff global and libby purge and other things and the dmg spike is huge!
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 9:57 pm

Wut? Space marine synergies are like, everything they do. They suck at first due to the horrible damage, and they suck alone since their units are so versatile. However that makes them terrifying when they decide to blob up and have an effective counter to everything on hand at all times and then start getting all their inspiration buffs.
Arbit
Level 3

Postby Arbit » Mon 16 Sep, 2013 11:11 pm

Ace of Swords wrote:they teleport which is instant compared to a jump, sure it's not much but it actually counts, if you react fast enough you can avoid a jump, but you cannot avoid a teleport.

This is pretty important IMO. It's also good to teleport after a retreating unit and finish it off while under the effects of WatH.
My 1v1 map - Imperial Plaza. Revisions are in progress so please check it out and give feedback!
ThongSong
Level 3

Postby ThongSong » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 4:56 am

we tried massing interceptors in a 3v3.

the first time we did it, it worked very well and we roflstomped the opposing team in 10 minutes.

the second game we disasterously wrong. they just got tons of tanks and there was nothing our interceptors could do about it but bleed resources
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 5:23 am

ThongSong wrote:we tried massing interceptors in a 3v3.

the first time we did it, it worked very well and we roflstomped the opposing team in 10 minutes.

the second game we disasterously wrong. they just got tons of tanks and there was nothing our interceptors could do about it but bleed resources

But if you had a IG guy who could have bought AV...
ThongSong
Level 3

Postby ThongSong » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 5:42 am

Kvek wrote:

But if you had a IG guy who could have bought AV...

we went triple GK for the lulz
SirSid
Level 2

Postby SirSid » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 6:20 am

Iv found a few flaws with the build this is true vs pure heavey tanks it has problems yes however. I have been finding that the kockback is out of control.

Now this is not to say that it needs drastic changes or anything. the army is all about synergy, the more i play them the more u learn it. They play like a "elite" race for lack of a better term. Eldar seem to be the closet race from retail to them in a odd way and that's whare my Slight problem with the intorceptors is.

If they could jump 3 or 4 times that would be dangrous However they can jump more than this, 6 if done right with SS sending power. Now this is even ok in a way however since they can jump at 0 range and with the strike squade gaining the melley global buff the intorceptors can have free run of the field since anything in combat with the SS are on thare backs. And u can do this EARLY t2 very early in fact before a bloodcruser or ork walker can be rushed ( for the most part this is not proven at all right now )

If they had a minimum jump range it would still be strong , very strong. But not insane counter to other melley units , set up teams , snipers , range units , light tanks ,commanders artiliary. U get my point im sure.

I just feel that this many kockbacks from 1 unit in a row is a tad to hard to deal with for some races especialy at the time in the game it can be brought to the field. Level 4 sheenz with antarc support and farrseer suport are not this dangrous . + don't forget u have the brother captian in thare doing his thing.

Ok so all this talk about how epic is is it dose have problems with tank's. Also in my exparimints have shown that dual Knorn mariens, probley dew to the extra damage they deal to units with that armour can take model losses off the GK's also dual geenstealers did " ok " vs it however still lost flat out. So mass , and i mean MASS gobs and gobs of melley units can bring it down.

I would love to fight a player much better than me with this build both with it and against it. To see if it holds up, Perhaps it has not had that hard a game yet and i am missing something.
SirSid
Level 2

Postby SirSid » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 6:32 am

With 3x GK i would of just grabed 3 purigation units after the intorceptor upgrades. Put them in a blob and tank hunt haha. With 3 they are a huge danger to tanks. should be ok to bring out in a 3v3 , long t2 perhaps but it's a 3v3 u can get aways with staling alot eayser i find. Iv u can do it in a 1v1 u can do it in a 3v3
sk4zi
Level 3

Postby sk4zi » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 2:07 pm

i also think minimum Range for the port is the best solution.
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 3:25 pm

Dark Riku wrote:Why not copy past asm into the roster then? ~
They shouldn't be the same. They are quite fine imo.
And yes they can combo well if you opt to go for that particular piece of wargear.
But what's wrong with that?

Well that combo is at the heart of the issue for me . Being able to jump 3 to 4 times in a single match will completely destroy certain builds focused around layering suppression or pulling jump unit traps .

It isnt just an opt in type thing that changes the play style a little , it fundamentally changes how interceptors work. they don't just get a little better while inside the CA their effectiveness can literally double, and no meaningful minimum range is going to change that jumping 4 times is entirely unmanageable for all but the most ridiculously tanky unit setups .

This is why i am worried that simply giving a minimum range , which while i admit will fix the immediate issue of multiple in place tele disruptions vs fragile melee blobs , it wont really address that dramatic increase in effectiveness that having a near infinite energy pool and a relatively short cool down gives .

Dont misunderstand , I would welcome a minimum range, I just think it may not entirely address the issue that is all.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 3:29 pm

saltychipmunk wrote:well that combo is at the heart of the issue for me being able to jump 3 to 4 times in a single match will completely destroy certain builds focused around layering suppression or pulling jump unit traps .
Build something else then -.- You know, like the GK player is building/upgrading in order to counter your build. Try to do the same.

Also they have no minimum range because it's their tp and disruption ability in t2.
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 3:46 pm

So I cant use the two best logical counters to jump units in t1 because interceptors out right break that convention so i have to acknowledge any counters i invest in t1 to counter them is wasted pop , because your best answer is "build different units to counter them"?

we already have established that melee blobs get destroyed by them and their constant teleporting , they can just port on to ranged units like shotgun scouts. CA neutralizes hostile abilities. they can leapfrog over easily 3 or 4 suppression teams. they can easily get out of jump unit traps.

the only real thing i see that can be a threat to them is camping a walker unit by your dudes, but even then all they have to do is ignore the walker and force off the squishy units or ... teleport to a unit not near the walkers. plus that is a ton power to drop on a relativity immobile unit like a walker. Even gk can wear a dread down if they force off everyone around it.

not all the walkers have the fist of the emperor ability either
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 10:25 pm

A cooldown on the teleport seems to be the best solution, though I'm not convinced there is an actual issue to address.
Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Tue 17 Sep, 2013 11:48 pm

That Torpid Gamer wrote:Wut? Space marine synergies are like, everything they do. They suck at first due to the horrible damage, and they suck alone since their units are so versatile. However that makes them terrifying when they decide to blob up and have an effective counter to everything on hand at all times and then start getting all their inspiration buffs.

eh i dont think so.
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Flash
Level 3

Postby Flash » Wed 18 Sep, 2013 2:48 am

When they're teleporting away, tying up your layered suppression, they are should be to far away to be supported. Riku is right, in that they change the match up and demand different counters that what would be traditionally considered. And as you said about being in t1, interceptors in t1 are much more vulnerable due to their lack of disruption. And they are reallllyy expensive to reinforce.

Return to “Balance Discussion”