Regarding armored transportations

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
hastaga
Level 2

Regarding armored transportations

Postby hastaga » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 6:58 am

I'm making a thread regarding the performance of subject in title in 1v1 games

I just started playing 1v1 again and this thing reminded me how bothersome it was to me since retail in 1v1 games.

Armored transportations have many utility. They're fast and they do reasonable amount of damage, instant pick up and enables field reinforcement.

The primary attribute of what I do not like about this unit however, is its sturdiness.
Basically, if your opp get to t2 before you and get this thing on the field, it's gonna gen bash and bully your army around with absolutely no way to counter, coz hey, vehicle armor. Trading is difficult either because that thing moves so fast it just follows you if you try to bypass it and unload the entire ork army onto you.

When talking about the trouble I encountered above, I have the ork truk in mind. Coz i just got owned by crewfinity a few times tonight.

Now, please tell me why shouldn't that thing be SHI armor to give people still in t1 a chance. W/o removing any of its major function, the change maintains the strategic value of the unit w/o making it too much of a bully to those without immediate AV means. I really don't like getting a dedicated AV squad just to remove it from the field and then be useless for a very long time.
egewithin
Level 5

Re: Regarding armored transportations

Postby egewithin » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 7:23 am

Everything don't have to be balanced in 1v1 games. Every transport can be destroyed since they don't have too much health exept Falcon. Also, they are tanks remember? Give it a snare, fire your AV and chase it, it is down. Tank armor doesn't make transports strong, good micro makes.
lolzarz
Level 3

Postby lolzarz » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 9:32 am

And fighting a tier 2 army using a tier 1 army should not be viable at all. Forcing you to get anti-vehicle weapons is sort of, like, the point of getting a transport. Please learn when to upgrade your HQ building.
WEE AR DA SPEHSS MAHREENS! WE AR DA EMPRAH'S FUREH!
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 10:32 am

The transport is something that generally comes early and is great at being high impact for a short while. Saving for a walker is not always the best choice because they come late and a transport forces AV from the opponent early on. Just keep your head and get to tier 2 when you can, you'll suffer not being there first, but hey, it's not a race, get there, deal with it, impact unit gone. You may be playing catch up for a while but it's not impossible. Every faction has cheap AV and transports are generally quite fragile.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Lichtbringer
Level 3

Postby Lichtbringer » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 4:00 pm

I think the Ork Wartruck is pretty strong. It simply wrecks setupteams and anything ranged when unloading Orks besides them. Everything you can get to counter it (for Eldar I feel) is not good enough to scare it away from your army. You would need atleast TWO AV sources. Especially because one of them will get wrecked by the unload. And even then, one of your AV gets probably retreatkilled by the Orktruckmelee and maybe he even escapes.

It removes all ability to controll that scary meleeblob. And even after unloading and reinforcing it helps by allowing the Orks to jump right back into it, dodging all kinds of abilitys.
The Wartruck on its own, also can chase off any infantrysquad, and even kill 1-2 models while retreat.

And all that for 200/30? o_O

It is also 1 speed faster then the Falcon o_O When you upgrade it (total price 300/50 compared to Falcon 360/90) it also has more health, and because it is an upgrade you can still use it as a shock unit whit low health while the enemy has no AV.

Oh well, in the end I am probably just salty because of the bug where the Falcon doesn't damage the Wartruck :D (The Falcon has nicer weapons and scales to T3 better... and probably Orks need the Wartruck.... ... .. .).
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sun 11 Oct, 2015 8:52 pm

hastaga wrote:Now, please tell me why shouldn't that thing be SHI armor to give people still in t1 a chance. W/o removing any of its major function, the change maintains the strategic value of the unit w/o making it too much of a bully to those without immediate AV means. I really don't like getting a dedicated AV squad just to remove it from the field and then be useless for a very long time.
Because that is what a tech lead does. If you get outplayed in this way than that's your own fault, not a balance issue.
The truk itself also can't kill your genfarm...
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 5:25 pm

i mean a lot of your problems were that you weren't aggressive enough early game :P

you tried to go 2 CSM AC tics against my warboss, and you didn't get havocs up until late T1 when i already had upgrades and stormboys.

all the times we played i was able to get a bunch of gens in T1 and bash your power by going really heavy on upgrades while you tried to make a lighter build work. once I hit T2 i was ahead enough that i was able to get deff dreads and wartrukks to seal the deal.

double havocs or havocs and noise marines are a way better bet imo than 2 CSM, with an early build of 2 tics csm you can apply a lot more map pressure and contest my bullying in early t1. if i go for shoota upgrades you can get havocs and nade launcher on your tics, and if i go painboy/stormboys you can get AC tics to help counter that.

also just more map presence/awareness would put you in a much better position, you were really passive and reactive for our games which let me set the tempo by being aggressive while i secured the rest of the map to get a crushing resource advantage.

my 2 cents :)

TLDR you should really get suppression teams ASAP vs the warboss. and maybe not go light T1 vs orks/me
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Mon 12 Oct, 2015 9:05 pm

Dark Riku wrote:The truk itself also can't kill your genfarm...

It's 32 DPS not to underestimate!

Return to “Balance Discussion”