Changes - some likes and dislikes

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
PhatE
Level 3

Changes - some likes and dislikes

Postby PhatE » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 12:22 pm

Some were nice and some were very surprising;

This may sound odd coming from me but I may as well cut to the chase;

Stormboyz - Why did they get a cost reduction? There was no reason to that other than the reinforce cost being smaller which makes countering Orks with setup teams so much harder. As crap as they are, they didn't need anything done to them apart from perhaps a revert to retail cost with a health boost of some small amount with the Nob not having as much HP. They come out waaaayyyyy too soon, it was the same issue that Warriors had/have. However the swag levels of the Stormboy Nob model is beyond compare, to which I was skeptical at first, but now I love him! More swag please.

More Dakka red cost increased from 50 to 75, this is on par with the ridic levels of Touch of Nurgle. I don't really play mek unless I want to annoy Tex and it's for this reason. 50 red meant nothing to Orks, and 75 is a bit more taxing but still you get serious bang for buck. It's a 30 red reward for getting the commander. It's the number of knockdowns that would be the issue. Retreating is not a nice mechanic in this game when there are knockbacks involved.

Meaner an' Greener cost adjusted from 40/40 to 50/25, Haven't played around with this too much but giving me the Nob or hammers earlier is pretty nice. Not sure how well it's going to play out in the long run but it puts them closer to my left click now given the expense of Nobs to get them up to scratch.

Grey Knights;

Operatives are killing me in both the in game sense as well as my mood when I fight them. Why are they so fast, why do they get infiltrate for free, why do they get a stun bomb and why do they do enormous burst damage this early in the game. Satchel charge is hardly worth the energy when the enemy has 4 seconds to get out of the way and the stun bomb travels really fast meaning that nade launcher IST just wreck your faces. It doesn't even do that much damage on retreat from what I've seen. To note, I understand why they get a stun bomb. Without it there would be 0 anti melee outside of GL IST which are iffy. It's the amount of abilities which is making them too good.

The Brother Captain makes any of the new openers insanely good when operatives come out as fast as they do. I still cringe every time the BC gets the halberd and seeing him buffing himself to 100+ power melee, if I'm not mistaken. Like what the hell is that exactly? I was really hoping that the race would get buffed in certain areas and the BC get nerfed, heavily. He doesn't need a teleport, he already charges through setup teams like it's nobody's business. This is worse than a teleporting Chaos Lord with lightning claws (well, almost).

I'm sure that this has been said numerous times but the suppression team generator wipe thing is the first of all things that really needs to be fixed. It was fun for the first 20 gens but after that it's like beating a dead horse.

These were just some that came to mind but there are others for sure that annoy me or I've liked the additions of. For another post methinks.
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Impregnable
Level 4

Re: Changes - some likes and dislikes

Postby Impregnable » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 4:53 pm

PhatE wrote:Some were nice and some were very surprising;

This may sound odd coming from me but I may as well cut to the chase;

Stormboyz - Why did they get a cost reduction? There was no reason to that other than the reinforce cost being smaller which makes countering Orks with setup teams so much harder. As crap as they are, they didn't need anything done to them apart from perhaps a revert to retail cost with a health boost of some small amount with the Nob not having as much HP. They come out waaaayyyyy too soon, it was the same issue that Warriors had/have. However the swag levels of the Stormboy Nob model is beyond compare, to which I was skeptical at first, but now I love him! More swag please.

More Dakka red cost increased from 50 to 75, this is on par with the ridic levels of Touch of Nurgle. I don't really play mek unless I want to annoy Tex and it's for this reason. 50 red meant nothing to Orks, and 75 is a bit more taxing but still you get serious bang for buck. It's a 30 red reward for getting the commander. It's the number of knockdowns that would be the issue. Retreating is not a nice mechanic in this game when there are knockbacks involved.

Meaner an' Greener cost adjusted from 40/40 to 50/25, Haven't played around with this too much but giving me the Nob or hammers earlier is pretty nice. Not sure how well it's going to play out in the long run but it puts them closer to my left click now given the expense of Nobs to get them up to scratch.

Grey Knights;

Operatives are killing me in both the in game sense as well as my mood when I fight them. Why are they so fast, why do they get infiltrate for free, why do they get a stun bomb and why do they do enormous burst damage this early in the game. Satchel charge is hardly worth the energy when the enemy has 4 seconds to get out of the way and the stun bomb travels really fast meaning that nade launcher IST just wreck your faces. It doesn't even do that much damage on retreat from what I've seen. To note, I understand why they get a stun bomb. Without it there would be 0 anti melee outside of GL IST which are iffy. It's the amount of abilities which is making them too good.

The Brother Captain makes any of the new openers insanely good when operatives come out as fast as they do. I still cringe every time the BC gets the halberd and seeing him buffing himself to 100+ power melee, if I'm not mistaken. Like what the hell is that exactly? I was really hoping that the race would get buffed in certain areas and the BC get nerfed, heavily. He doesn't need a teleport, he already charges through setup teams like it's nobody's business. This is worse than a teleporting Chaos Lord with lightning claws (well, almost).

I'm sure that this has been said numerous times but the suppression team generator wipe thing is the first of all things that really needs to be fixed. It was fun for the first 20 gens but after that it's like beating a dead horse.

These were just some that came to mind but there are others for sure that annoy me or I've liked the additions of. For another post methinks.

My goodness, I do totally agree with Grey Knights thingy. I have never whined about balance before but generator killing potential of ops is too much two of them bash gens faster than any unit I have ever seen beside from termie fc flamer. Man that kind of crazy dps on such a fast unit i couldn't believe myself when i first saw it. I always try to justify a balance change but this ops dps is sth way out of hand.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 6:00 pm

You probably didn't need to quote the first post ;)
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 6:21 pm

Why exactly does this need a separate post and not be in "2.4 Balance Feedback" ?
RedRupee
Shoutcaster

Postby RedRupee » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 4:11 pm

Well, this IS the "balance" section of the forum. So I'm pretty sure most of the threads at this point are going to be about the balance of 2.4 going forward :p

I for one prefer to have seperate threads to read than a monster 10+ page beast of a thing to track. But thats just me I suppose, forums are annoying. I'm gonna go whine about rangers now.
Follow RedRupee casts on Steam - Facebook - Twitter !
Youtube
Instagram

Return to “Balance Discussion”