Malignant Blindness...(and CL globals in general)

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Paradise Lost
Level 2

Malignant Blindness...(and CL globals in general)

Postby Paradise Lost » Tue 30 Jun, 2015 2:45 am

Am I the only one who thinks this global is almost absolutely useless? If your troops are shooting the enemy he'll see you anyway. IMO it is wasted red.

I'm not sure if it's possible to make it work as intended as the problem seems to be the mechanics of the game instead of just the ability needing a buff, so I say it should be replaced or something. In fact his other globals also suffer for being very situational compared to those of the PC and CS. I mean Bloodlust is good but it is a bit on the expensive side, so you can very rarely use if you plan to get termies or a nuke anytime soon, unless of course you're playing a 3v3 against a full IG team.

Then there is Blood Sacrifice, which is extremely situational and not always worth it. Besides costing quite a lot you can only use it reliably if you have inexpensive troops to sacrifice (which in the case of Chaos, is only heretics). It's also not cheap and all and you don't even get to keep those Bloodletters so I say it's a good candidate for replacement/buffing.

I am by no means saying that these abilities should be replaced with something 'stronger' as I am quite aware of how strong the CL is (considering how he's a noob favorite, even though he's rarely used in high-level play) but perhaps with something more cost-effective, something actually worth using, and fun. Like the PC can call CPM, why not give the CL the ability to call some Berserkers (as if, actual Khorne Berserkers and not just MoK CSM) for a price that is in tune with their effectiveness. This would replace MB, but be significantly more red-expensive. Otherwise just let him call upgraded MoK CSM for the standard CSM price and the same red cost as MB. For Blood Sacrifice, at least let him keep the BLs even if you have to make it a bit more red-costly, it's be worth using over just saving the red for other globals.

Another option would be to remove MB altogether as a 'cheap' global for the CL and instead replace it with a much more expensive ability. My suggestion? Let him summon a Bloodthirster. Ofc it'd be expensive as hell in all respects and ridiculously powerful, BUT he'd be temporary, like the Blood Sacrifice Bloodletters (of course it'd last longer). This way he gets an unique 'linebreaker' unit to help him push, but only for a set amount of time.

I find these suggestions would be the most 'fluffy', a bit like the Khorne Daemonkin from the tabletop. The CL would stay as an offense oriented commander, while sticking to the Khornate characteristic of having to keep the blood flowing constantly to win the battle. I understand if you're too busy to deal with these certainly minor issues and have more important priorities, but if you find these suggestions even remotely reasonable I urge Caeltos and the rest of the team to at least save this post to check it out in the future if/when you feel like it.

Cheers,
Paradise Lost.
lolzarz
Level 3

Re: Malignant Blindness...(and CL globals in general)

Postby lolzarz » Tue 30 Jun, 2015 3:44 am

You're playing Chaos Lord, who is a melee unit and has various abilities to support melee units. One of his abilities reduces opposing units' sight radius? What do you do with that? Cast Malignant Blindness to remove overwatch and charge in, of course. Why are you shooting at the other guy's units when you can charge in?
WEE AR DA SPEHSS MAHREENS! WE AR DA EMPRAH'S FUREH!
Paradise Lost
Level 2

Postby Paradise Lost » Tue 30 Jun, 2015 4:46 am

lolzarz wrote:You're playing Chaos Lord, who is a melee unit and has various abilities to support melee units. One of his abilities reduces opposing units' sight radius? What do you do with that? Cast Malignant Blindness to remove overwatch and charge in, of course. Why are you shooting at the other guy's units when you can charge in?

Because any melee unit that has a pistol weapon will fire on the charge...
lolzarz
Level 3

Postby lolzarz » Tue 30 Jun, 2015 6:06 am

Paradise Lost wrote:
lolzarz wrote:You're playing Chaos Lord, who is a melee unit and has various abilities to support melee units. One of his abilities reduces opposing units' sight radius? What do you do with that? Cast Malignant Blindness to remove overwatch and charge in, of course. Why are you shooting at the other guy's units when you can charge in?

Mark of Khorne Chaos Space Marines aren't the only melee units you have. Bloodletters and bloodcrushers don't have pistols. Your upgraded Chaos Lord doesn't. Pistols have less range than normal small arms anyway, so an advantage is still had. You have less ground to cover before you get into charging range and enter melee.

Also, use it to flank and surround his units. Do something like attack his front with most of the army and attack his rear with Mark of Khorne Chaos Space Marines. Mark of Khorne Chaos Space Marines having speed 6 helps and he can't kill your flanking units if he can't see them. Get retreat kills, snipe vehicles with surprise bloodcrushers, you get the idea.
WEE AR DA SPEHSS MAHREENS! WE AR DA EMPRAH'S FUREH!
Paradise Lost
Level 2

Postby Paradise Lost » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 2:29 am

lolzarz wrote:
Paradise Lost wrote:

Mark of Khorne Chaos Space Marines aren't the only melee units you have. Bloodletters and bloodcrushers don't have pistols. Your upgraded Chaos Lord doesn't. Pistols have less range than normal small arms anyway, so an advantage is still had. You have less ground to cover before you get into charging range and enter melee.

Also, use it to flank and surround his units. Do something like attack his front with most of the army and attack his rear with Mark of Khorne Chaos Space Marines. Mark of Khorne Chaos Space Marines having speed 6 helps and he can't kill your flanking units if he can't see them. Get retreat kills, snipe vehicles with surprise bloodcrushers, you get the idea.

Use an extremely situational global to buff extremely situationally useful units? BL that are almost never seen in high level play due to being little more durable than heretics? BC that is only useful for the 20 or so seconds of advantage you'll have if you reach T2 first? Sorry, but that's not very convincing that this ability is a wasted opportunity. When an ability is so circumstantial it falls into territory of being almost useless, just like I said in the OP. The problem isn't that there is no use for this, it is that there are so few circumstances where it can be worth using that it makes little difference. The fact that it's rarely used in high level play backs my point even more.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 3:11 am

Wut.

MB is an amazing global. If you're using it on the charge, just move your units forward without hitting amove and you should be able to mitigate some of the issues with "ranged" fire on your melee squad. Just amove when convenient.

On top of that, MB can be used defensively. It can prevent that AV team from getting the last shot on your dreadnought and cover mass retreats.

For you 3v3 scrubs out there, it also affects the ENTIRE enemy team. There's serious wipe potential there for just 100 red.

Side note:
Bloodletters are also a very good unit at high levels because skilled players give them the worship support that they need to be effective. Trust me, they are just fine.
Paradise Lost
Level 2

Postby Paradise Lost » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 4:04 am

Atlas wrote:Wut.

MB is an amazing global. If you're using it on the charge, just move your units forward without hitting amove and you should be able to mitigate some of the issues with "ranged" fire on your melee squad. Just amove when convenient.

On top of that, MB can be used defensively. It can prevent that AV team from getting the last shot on your dreadnought and cover mass retreats.

For you 3v3 scrubs out there, it also affects the ENTIRE enemy team. There's serious wipe potential there for just 100 red.

Side note:
Bloodletters are also a very good unit at high levels because skilled players give them the worship support that they need to be effective. Trust me, they are just fine.

>MB is an amazing global. If you're using it on the charge, just move your units forward without hitting amove and you should be able to mitigate some of the issues with "ranged" fire on your melee squad. Just amove when convenient.
Already explained why that only works with a couple of units and how nobody uses it.

>On top of that, MB can be used defensively. It can prevent that AV team from getting the last shot on your dreadnought and cover mass retreats.
Again, it's not that it's completely useless, I never said it was. It's just too situational compared to the globals of the other Chaos heroes.

>For you 3v3 scrubs out there, it also affects the ENTIRE enemy team. There's serious wipe potential there for just 100 red.
Such as?

>Side note:
Yup, that's why almost nobody uses them, right? Worship support doesn't do much when the first thing any remotely talented player does when he sees Bloodletters is focus them down so hard they don't even get to retreat before losing half their models having done almost no damage whatsoever (other than bleeding cheap models, that is).

Of course I'm just a worthless noob, I'm not entirely convinced I'm right, but I'm going to need some good examples. I have a fairly decent win rate but this ability has never been worth it to me.

Side note: Why is nobody playing the new version of the mod?
Vapor
Level 3

Postby Vapor » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 6:35 am

Bloodletters are solid. If they get focus fired you just phase them out and worship to regen their health.
Follow my stream! twitch.tv/frozenvapor100
Max_Damage
Level 1

Postby Max_Damage » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 7:46 am

This is a pretty useless global. All his globals are bad. Generally Chaos Lord is pretty trashy in 2v2 / 3v3s and in all cases post the first 5 minutes of the game. Bad and cheap wargears, pretty one sided gameplan and no alternatives easy to kite. Combi flamer doesnt scale anywhere outside of 1v1s. Weak deafault weapons and low speed.
Cheekie Monkie
Level 3

Postby Cheekie Monkie » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 8:54 am

BL that are almost never seen in high level play due to being little more durable than heretics?

Reverse heresy!
Playing truth or dare with Diomedes: You dare? YOU DARE?!
Tinder with Diomedes: THINK YOU ARE MY MATCH?!
Slaaneshi Cacophony
Level 2

Postby Slaaneshi Cacophony » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 9:26 am

Since when does nobody use Bloodletters? If you have competent micro, they're basically unkillable with Phase Shift and their health regen under Nurgle worship now is absolutely insane, to the point of being able to out-regen light T1 ranged fire if you get them out early enough. They're a fantastic squad for the price.

As for the Chaos Lord's globals, they're definitely more niche and situational than the other Chaos commanders' globals but they can be extremely effective and turn the tide if used properly.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 10:45 am

If you don't have micro, by micro I mean being able to use keyboard, Bloodletters are just stronger Heretics without Doomblast but with Teleport. If there are no walkers around, I am happy with them :D They are extreamly effective versus Set up teams, specially if they are armored.

Also, what if we cancel the ranged fire allows you to be seen to the enemy thing while Malignant Blindness is active. We know that it can be effective for a flank but by the way you explain how to use it is too complicated against the usege of other globals in this game. IMO, every of them should be simple. This global is hard to use and is should be changed.
appiah4
Level 3

Postby appiah4 » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 11:26 am

I never see Malignant Blindness used by players.. It's really strange because when the AI uses it (usually post rage-quit in team games) it really throws my game off. It's really good for getting out of messy engagements, saving low HP retreating units from melee bumrushes or grenade spikes, or setting up an assault especially if the enemy has artillery or setup teams.
ALWAYS ANGRY!! ALL THE TIME!!
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 11:39 am

How is this global useless? You'd be mad to engage as an opposing player while this global is active. It nullifies any defensive set-up and allows your melee units to engage at their leisure. Defensively it can protect fleeing vehicles.

If you're using this global and then engage your enemy with ranged units exclusively, that's just poor play. I could argue a Brood Nest is a useless global because it doesn't reinforce my Carnifexes in a fight.
Venjitron
Level 2

Postby Venjitron » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 1:30 pm

never listen to any balance suggestion by low to mid tier players....they have agendas....
malignant blindness is a great global and used at the right time can make for devastating attacks
bloodletters.....ARE YOU MENTAL....they are such a powerful unit great dmg good hp good abilities.
Hiveminion your brood nest may not reinforce your mighty fexes but its still too cheap :>
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 1:47 pm

Venjitron wrote:never listen to any balance suggestion by low to mid tier players....they have agendas....

And "high" level players don't? :lol:

/off topic, carry on.
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Cheekie Monkie
Level 3

Postby Cheekie Monkie » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 2:38 pm

Toilailee wrote:
Venjitron wrote:never listen to any balance suggestion by low to mid tier players....they have agendas....

And "high" level players don't? :lol:

/off topic, carry on.

In order to become a high level player, one must first achieve a state of nirvana, or enlightenment. Once this has been accomplished, all bias and agenda melt away and that player becomes one with the balance.

Or smoke a load of pot.
Playing truth or dare with Diomedes: You dare? YOU DARE?!
Tinder with Diomedes: THINK YOU ARE MY MATCH?!
Paradise Lost
Level 2

Postby Paradise Lost » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 10:47 pm

I see most people here are (still) missing the point. This isn't a thread to complain about/discuss Bloodletters and I am NOT saying ANY of his abilities are useless. Even in the first post I said I found MB was ALMOST useless, which is far to situational in comparison to pretty much every other hero's globals. This isn't fair and it's a wasted opportunity when you can rarely use these globals because they are so rarely worth the red and micro skill due to how situational they are. I wouldn't complain if all other globals were this situational. But they aren't, and that's not fair considering the series of nerfs the CL has gotten all the way since Chaos Rising.

Just compare MB blindness to something like, Touch of Nurgle. Even in it's nerfed state it can do so much more in so many situations and it applies to a lot more units for only 50 additional red. My point is, not just MB, but all 'unique' CL globals that aren't Bloodlust seem to require the player to tailor their play and their micro around them, putting extra effort so that they can be effective, while other globals in general tend to be a help mid-engagement that can turn the tide of the battle in your favour.

So while the CL's globals are not necessarily bad or useless on their own, they still underperform compared to other globals, aren't really 'fluffy' and don't fit a game like DoW.

PS: The only thing even close to an agenda I could possibly have is the return of the Bloodthirster... But for that I can wait, and I want it as comprehensively balanced as possible... The CL's globals though, are an honest concern.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 3:50 am

Paradise Lost wrote:Words.....

Just compare MB blindness to something like, Touch of Nurgle. Even in it's nerfed state it can do so much more in so many situations and it applies to a lot more units for only 50 additional red. My point is, not just MB, but all 'unique' CL globals that aren't Bloodlust seem to require the player to tailor their play and their micro around them, putting extra effort so that they can be effective, while other globals in general tend to be a help mid-engagement that can turn the tide of the battle in your favour.

Ending words...

I think this passage really strikes into the heart of the issue; Every CL specific global that ISN'T Bloodlust (Blood Sacrifice debatable) isn't just an a-move global like ToN is. Saying that X or Y needs some micro to be effective doesn't make that particular global bad. There's a reason got ToN got nerfed hard.

There really isn't that many "herp-a-derp-push F#" globals in the game. Most require some kind of setup.
Slaaneshi Cacophony
Level 2

Postby Slaaneshi Cacophony » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 11:19 am

Would agree with what Atlas said; just because the globals require more micro and setup than say Touch of Nurgle doesn't make them close to useless, it's just a matter of gitting gud.

Also, I fail to see how sacrificing a follower of Chaos to spawn daemons of the Warp or an army led by a Khornate Chaos Lord being sent into a homicidal bloodlust isn't true to the 40k universe :twisted:
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 2:12 pm

My only complaint about this ability is that your hidden from sight units can be spotted by captured points. Sometimes you need to act fast and assault head on a crucial enemy's position. And then you get screwed by victory points or anything similar. Because of that I rarely activate it. But I gotta say that this global ability is very potent.
Paradise Lost
Level 2

Postby Paradise Lost » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 11:19 pm

Slaaneshi Cacophony wrote:Also, I fail to see how sacrificing a follower of Chaos to spawn daemons of the Warp or an army led by a Khornate Chaos Lord being sent into a homicidal bloodlust isn't true to the 40k universe :twisted:

1) I said several times that Bloodlust was fine.
2) How is MB in tune with fluff at ALL?

Also you keep saying MB is good yet I'm pretty sure none of you (who play Chaos) uses it regularly. I say this because I've played (and gotten curbstomped) by several high-lvl Chaos Lord players and they never used it on me, even now when I am able to at least be a headache to some of them. In fact I've even tried to use it to negate a final missile launcher shot into my MoK dread and even though he was at a significant distance and the tac squad was still in cooldown it still didn't work. Maybe it's bugged, because I've noticed that it doesn't work even when my units are retreating.

Try it yourselves. And it's not true that most globals require setups. Drop pod, hellfury strike, use yer choppaz! and Mind Blades are all click-to-go globals that are much more useful and require very little micro to be effective. MB on the other hand requires a full melee army that also has no pistols.
appiah4
Level 3

Postby appiah4 » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 6:35 am

Paradise Lost wrote:Try it yourselves. And it's not true that most globals require setups. Drop pod, hellfury strike, use yer choppaz! and Mind Blades are all click-to-go globals that are much more useful and require very little micro to be effective. MB on the other hand requires a full melee army that also has no pistols.

No, people tried to explain this before; pistols reveal you if you are using it prior to an assault. It is not even best used in this role, it is used best for tactical retreat. It will save your units from getting grenade spiked on retreat or your dying Predator from taking that last lascannon shot as it slowly retreats out of enemy range. Use it defensively and you won't regret it - similar to how the Sorceror uses Heretic Worship.
ALWAYS ANGRY!! ALL THE TIME!!
Bahamut
Level 4

Postby Bahamut » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 12:23 pm

compare malignant blindness to the flare from lord comissar...
Paradise Lost
Level 2

Postby Paradise Lost » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 9:57 pm

appiah4 wrote:
Paradise Lost wrote:Try it yourselves. And it's not true that most globals require setups. Drop pod, hellfury strike, use yer choppaz! and Mind Blades are all click-to-go globals that are much more useful and require very little micro to be effective. MB on the other hand requires a full melee army that also has no pistols.

No, people tried to explain this before; pistols reveal you if you are using it prior to an assault. It is not even best used in this role, it is used best for tactical retreat. It will save your units from getting grenade spiked on retreat or your dying Predator from taking that last lascannon shot as it slowly retreats out of enemy range. Use it defensively and you won't regret it - similar to how the Sorceror uses Heretic Worship.

I'm skeptical of this because I've tried it before with no results, but I'll do it again.
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Sat 04 Jul, 2015 5:38 am

Some abilities in the game also require line of sight to be able to use. So this global also can stop some abilities. If using grenades also required line of sight this global would have it made!
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Lost Son of Nikhel
Contributor

Postby Lost Son of Nikhel » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 10:56 am

appiah4 wrote:No, people tried to explain this before; pistols reveal you if you are using it prior to an assault. It is not even best used in this role, it is used best for tactical retreat. It will save your units from getting grenade spiked on retreat or your dying Predator from taking that last lascannon shot as it slowly retreats out of enemy range. Use it defensively and you won't regret it - similar to how the Sorceror uses Heretic Worship.

This is the nail in the coffin about Malignant Blindness. Not sure if it was changed, but IIRC sometimes this wasn't working as intended, something similar to the "In combat/out of combat " effect, with units still revealed units even if the aren't shooting/they are in retreat.
"Pater, peccavi in caelum et coram te; iam non sum dignus vocari filius tuus". Dixit autem pater: "manducemus et epulemur, quia hic filius meus mortuus erat et revixit, perierat et inventus est"

There will be no forgiveness for us.
Slaaneshi Cacophony
Level 2

Postby Slaaneshi Cacophony » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 1:45 pm

I used this global about 4 or 5 times in a team game yesterday and it's amazing. I was getting doubled, so I popped it and manoeuvred all of my melee units around to the side of one of the player's ranged armies, closed in and forced them off completely, allowing me to focus on the other person who was originally on my side.

It's possible to manually keep the element of surprise if you just direct melee squads with firearms, like Raptors or KCSM, to move around and out of direction of the squads you want to engage, to stop them from firing off their pistols.
xXKageAsashinXx
Level 2

Postby xXKageAsashinXx » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 8:17 pm

Just wondering, would it be OP to have MB override the coding that reveals attacking units while active? It makes more sense realistically and technically, conforms more to the name itself, and it should make using it easier for the players.
So... I hear you refuse to repent.

Return to “Balance Discussion”