Stormshield = best wargear for the price in game?

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Sneery_Thug
Level 2

Re: Stormshield = best wargear for the price in game?

Postby Sneery_Thug » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 2:02 pm

Slaaneshi Cacophony wrote:I think changing it from a toggle ability to one that can only be used in bursts with relatively short cooldown would be a good idea. Say 30-35 energy for ten seconds with another ten seconds to cooldown before you can use it again. It'd encourage strategic use with good timing to be used effectively and allow the enemy team to punish the blob during cooldown by forcing off the Force Commander or inflicting model losses.

Too easy to dodge in a 1v1.
Sneery_Thug
Level 2

Postby Sneery_Thug » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 3:04 pm

Sub_Zero wrote:It has nothing to do with a game mode. If you face IG in a 3 v 3 game, you will crush them with this wargear. If you face IG in a 1 v 1 game, you will crush them with this wargear as well. But if we talk about the thing that this wargear affects your allies then it is another issue but as somebody had already mentioned there was a ton of other possibly broken synergies. Then we perhaps should forbid usage of any ability on allies. But then we lose a really good part of 3 v 3 games - when you support your friend's squad who would do better with this buff than any of your units. What if I have ASM and my friend has 2 banshees. In a 1 v 1 game his banshees would take a lot of fire and if not used correctly would bleed a lot. But here in a 3 v 3 game I give them a red carpet to enemy's lines by jumping my ASM into the fray. Quite impossible to take into account all these factors, let's just keep the 3 v 3 game mode a fun mess.

I played as Commissar vs FC with stromshield and won the 1v1 game. If I new, that this discussion would come - I would save the replay. I build 3 GM's, sent, spotters and catas (+ powersword and carapace on my Commie) - yes, this is a huge t1 for IG, but it did work fine for me.
Well, my opponents are not the best ones and I might be a noob myself. But because I am one and because I mostly play 3v3's and 2v2's - that's why I do not resent about balance here.
Now go and watch the first game on Indrids channel - IG vs SM and see, how Yarrik dealt with Noisy's FC with shield.
Fine, enough talk, now as said before - provide some replays of yours.-) Oh, Forest provided one insted, for you.
"But then we lose a really good part of 3 v 3 games" - ah, well, if you talk about the "fun" part - then it is something else. But ok, then just say "Stormshield is bad, because I don't have fun in my 3v3 games!" and don't claim it's OP. Once again, in my nooby opinion, the only one thing could be done - let ss defend only player's own squads.
Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 4:58 pm

I love it when FC uses SS vs my Warboss lol

angry bitz and bang bang hammer melee for the win!
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 5:09 pm

why would a fc use a ss vs a warboss?
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 5:40 pm

saltychipmunk wrote:why would a fc use a ss vs a warboss?

[EDIT]: Duh my mistake I thought he wrote Farseer use a psychic storm vs a Warboss.

:(
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Sat 09 May, 2015 11:08 am

After watching Eldar VS SM faction wars, I recalled this post and read through all the suggestions in the post again. Well, everyone seems to be content about this wargear as long as it doesn't apply to allies as a bottom line and I think it is a good point. I mean if we change the mechanic of this wargear or the price of it, there will be people who are unsatisfied because they think this would make the wargear more underused in either team games or 1 VS 1 but just removing working on allies part really makes it better balanced without harming non team game usage. Strong AOE buffs that works on allies should be carefully treated in order to make them not cross the OP line in my opinion.

I have no idea why this broken piece of wargear retained its ability to affect the allies for such a long time. When we compare it to what LG would be able to do if his strong buffs affected allies, I think we can see why it is good to remove SS's ally affecting effects.

The most valid comparison would be to compare it to Flak Jacket
Storm Shield = Immunity to Supprssion, Less ranged damage, Gets slower, FC gets resistant to ranged damage, affect allies, Toggle ability like a shield, 20 power
Flak Jacket = Immunity to Knockback, Less ranged damage, No speed effect, No useful effects for LG beside a bit more health, don't affect allies, long cool down with limited effect time, 30 power
- No one calls FJ an OP wargear despite its damage reduction and knockback immunity. Why? because it is not a toggle that can be activated for ages and also doesn't work on allies. Primary means of controlling a mob in T1 is suppresson and you have a wargear that completely negates that and affect the allies too for such a long time. This is more than enough advantage to nullify slowing down effect. Eldar ranged firepower in the last game wasn't able to control SM solely due to a single wargear which just cost 20 power and I think this wargear has gone too far in terms of team game balance.
- What if LG's AOE buffs worked on allies? FJ nobz, genestealers? :O Move Move Move on slugga's, tics in T1, speed buffed and knockback immune nobz in T3? :( . I am not so sure why this post has received such low attention and got drowned before it got solved. The conclusion is that we need to remove its working on allies effect in order to make team games more fair.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Mon 11 May, 2015 2:28 pm

Forestradio wrote:http://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar2/replays.php?game=47&show=details&id=302081

Good usage of the storm shield for sure. Really decent wargear and the damage reduction for the FC alone is pretty darn powerful.

There has been a ton of abuse of it through the 0 energy activation cost in the past and I'm glad that it's finally getting some sort of change in the right direction
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 11 May, 2015 11:56 pm

It's manageable right now and will be more than fine next patch. Nothing to see here imo.

Return to “Balance Discussion”