Invisible abilities

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Caeltos

Re: Invisible abilities

Postby Caeltos » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 6:44 pm

To be honest, I don't quite understand how the fuck people die to the Obnoxious Cloud with it's existing performance. You would either have suffered alot of damage from a skirmish, then got instagibbed on retreat on some oddball situation. It's stupidly slow, it's duration was decreased as well.

I've seen so many casts/games where it does some damage, but that's roughly about it. You'd literally have to be braindead/afk to not notice it. It's really just a case of IG being vulnerable to the AoE potential, but you should by the time it's available have the means to deal with it. Hell, even retail players go with chimera jump in/out to avoid the damage, but of course- it's a linear and simplistic way to deal with it. I would guess if you didn't go for Chimera, you'll be more vulnerable against it. But I always think you have the means to escape it, or deal with it in some fashion.
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Sat 13 Jul, 2013 6:53 am

You mean like spot it in time under three squads of sarge/Commie GM? Np. :lol:
JuhwannX
Level 1

Postby JuhwannX » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 1:58 pm

Lag I seriously don't know how you could miss the cloud. I'm a freaking newbie at the game and I can actively identify a cloud. The only thing I have issue with is that it does damage to vehicles, and some vehicles move so slow, (I.E. Dreadnoughts) that you won't be able to get away from a player just right clicking a direction the dread will naturally go. Otherwise though, the damn thing's as easy to see as a . The portraits on the side of the screen with the health bars at the bottom of each aren't there for show. That's why you use the numbered hotkeys to move units and not clicking on them that much. It causes too many issues. The cloud is many things:
1.) Too Slow
2.) A Dark Green
3.) Too damn slow
4.) Little green wisps come off of your units when they're under it's effect
5.) IT'S SO FUCKING SLOW.
Unless you're idling units, I don't know HOW you couldn't notice it.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 3:37 pm

The problem is that Lag doesn't play much 1v1; he's talking from a 3v3/2v2 perspective where admittedly the cloud performs much better. At the risk of sounding condescending I invite you, Lag, to play a few 1v1s and come back and report whether or not noxious cloud is giving you the same amount of trouble as you make out, or, as is often the case in 1v1, ToN is proving to be the far stronger use of red.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 8:29 pm

I played 1v1 to learn the game. Cloud should be a engagement winner, not army wiper. Yes, in 1v1 it wins engagements, in 2v2/3v3 it wipes armies due to the more chaotic nature of battles. Does it change anything that it performs okay in 1v1? You see it easily, and if you make it more visible - you see it just as easily in 1v1, right? So what seems to be the problem?

@Juhwann It gets progressively harder to spot the faster the pace of the game is and the more players involved in the fight. I don't know about you, but I don't spend my time watching the ground below my troops during a firefight. I wanna see what I am shooting at, what is advancing, what to evade etc. Pale greenish circle below my troops legs is hardly something that will scream attention at my peripheral vision.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 8:57 pm

Well the mod is designed primarily to balance 1v1 iirc. So yes it does change things that it performs ok in 1v1 as it should.

Now I don't really know for sure if it would affect it's effectiveness in 1v1 if it got a new, eyeball scorhing visual effect. But I would assume it would make it even more ineffective in 1v1.
#noobcodex
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 15 Jul, 2013 11:10 pm

The problem is that the cloud performs decently, or even weakly in 1v1 at the moment, therefore no nerf to it, which includes making it more visible, is warranted.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 2:27 am

What do you mean "making it more visible"? It is you (and a good number of others) who claim it is impossible to miss. How does making it more visible change that? Will it not still be impossible to miss?
It's like adding 3 to infinity and claiming it is now more than infinity.
FiSH
Level 3

Postby FiSH » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 2:52 am

just a clarification, lag, you mean the casting of the cloud is hard to see, right? because once the cloud pops up and is affecting units, it is very obvious...
><%FiSH((@>
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 3:27 am

yeah. it doesn't need to hit very much to wipe squads like GM because of the dot.
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 6:04 am

FiSH wrote:just a clarification, lag, you mean the casting of the cloud is hard to see, right? because once the cloud pops up and is affecting units, it is very obvious...

Yeah. Every other T2 global has a marker which you can see from the sky. Nuke also.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Tue 16 Jul, 2013 10:03 am

Arbitor: I don't think the cloud has DoT unless it has been added in Elite.

This conversation is going nowhere so I think we are done talking about the Cloud. Capiche?

Feel free to talk about the other invisible globals though.
#noobcodex
GrimReaper
Level 1

Postby GrimReaper » Wed 07 Aug, 2013 2:41 pm

Talking about abilities that are hard to see i was thinking that curse of Tzeench explosions have no visual effect at all, i mean the target squad gets a blue circle around thir feet but when a member dies there is no explosion effect guys just fly away for apparently no reason

Is it possible to give these explosions the same effect as the sorcerers doomblast from last stand? its a tiny purple explosion and i think it would look pretty nice
The odds are not on my side, but escaping would be cowardice
Lost Son of Nikhel
Contributor

Postby Lost Son of Nikhel » Wed 07 Aug, 2013 8:11 pm

AFAIK, the Curse of Tzeentch have a little explosion effect when triggers.
"Pater, peccavi in caelum et coram te; iam non sum dignus vocari filius tuus". Dixit autem pater: "manducemus et epulemur, quia hic filius meus mortuus erat et revixit, perierat et inventus est"

There will be no forgiveness for us.
Codex

Postby Codex » Wed 07 Aug, 2013 8:17 pm

It's not exactly a small explosion effect. That said it's really hard to see it when you're using it with say Defend or ard boyz, which is still not ideal.
Righteousness does not make right
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Wed 28 Aug, 2013 12:30 pm

I think everyone forgot about the fact that FTE is an invisible global as well. Its a tiny little yellow ring. And its a global from the force commander. And the force commander puts tiny little yellow rings around most of his units every damn engagement of the game.
Codex

Postby Codex » Wed 28 Aug, 2013 4:13 pm

The effect of FTE is no longer the generic buff ring, it's now an orange glowy thing that is non-generic. Look more closely, it's been changed for a while now.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Wed 28 Aug, 2013 8:35 pm

I guess it just doesn't stand out like a giant shield, a big blue ring, or a big angry lightning bolt on top of someone's head.

Fair enough though, I did check and indeed, its an orange ring.
Codex

Postby Codex » Wed 28 Aug, 2013 8:41 pm

I'd say it's more obvious than Icon of Tzeentch, but I'll definitely concede it's not the most visible of effects.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Wed 28 Aug, 2013 9:00 pm

I guess the other difference would be that icon of tzeentch is about as niche as something that is still used can get, while FTE is something that is spammed by most FC players for good reason. I think making it visible would be a great investment of time and would help balance, just like making UYC visible has made a huge impact on balance.

Return to “Balance Discussion”