Just a few things i feel needs to be changed.

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Torpid

Re: Just a few things i feel needs to be changed.

Postby Torpid » Thu 05 Feb, 2015 7:32 pm

Cheah18 wrote:The argument for HI being too squishy is an invalid one.

The Rhino SHOULD NOT be used as a bullet sponge/tank/shield or whatever in any case. I remember a post a while back from someone well educated on the matter (I think it was forest but not sure), that explained that the BroCap is your main tank, the SS is also pretty tanky, and ist/rhinos should be used for additional firepower. It is NOT a sentinel, where you stand it in the middle to draw fire while repairing. It is not meant to be used like that. You should keep it behind your main lines and use it for fire support + mobility in tier 1, and then for some pew pew in tier 2. In order to make it a tank and not JUST a fire support unit, you buy an upgrade.

Again, the rhino isn't meant to get hit for prolonged amounts of time at all (maybe a few shots while it drives your men away). Therefore, heavy armour is (as it was before) sufficient.

Tbh I don't think ANYONE is defending SHI anymore here so we just need to agree on a fix now. Just wanted to put this little whiny bitch kid of an argument to bed.

This is true. If we think back to why GK have a rhino it was originally introduced in T1 as a counter-melee measure. Hence it's great synergy with both purgs and IST who themselves were GKs other melee counters in T1. The rhino is not a sentinel, it is not meant to sit in front of your blob absorbing ranged fire and dropping enemy models. Rather it synergises with in-and-out hit and run movements with your IST due to their high burst damage. It is an anti-melee tool more than the sentinel is, or at least it should be.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 12:47 am

ideals and reality are two very distinct things.

ideals say rhino should not be a front line unit

the reality of path finding and general unpredictable behavior of vehicles around infantry makes your ideals unrealistic.

they need to be reasonably durable because they would not function well otherwise. and indeed alot of people called the rhino shit back in the HI days exactly because it did not have the hit points to overcome the general stupidity that is dow2 unit path finding.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 1:56 am

saltychipmunk wrote:ideals and reality are two very distinct things.

ideals say rhino should not be a front line unit

the reality of path finding and general unpredictable behavior of vehicles around infantry makes your ideals unrealistic.

they need to be reasonably durable because they would not function well otherwise. and indeed alot of people called the rhino shit back in the HI days exactly because it did not have the hit points to overcome the general stupidity that is dow2 unit path finding.

A lot of people call sentinels shit on retail. A lot of people on elite call the CL OP. A lot of people are just bad at the game.

I'de say they were wrong. The rhino was perfectly fine with HI before. I used it all the time due to its great synergy with the burst damage of the IST. SHI on it just made no sense. It's nearly as bad as melee resistance on havocs.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Vapor
Level 3

Postby Vapor » Fri 06 Feb, 2015 2:28 am

If the rhino is too fragile then increase its hp, remove rear armor or give melee resist. I don't care, just let me shoot the damn thing with my ranged units
Follow my stream! twitch.tv/frozenvapor100
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sun 08 Feb, 2015 12:11 pm

Well, if Rhino is designed to brind some firepower, it make Rhino as a mini Predator. And I'm sorry about that but there is no way that I will accept this. There should be no way to get a mini Predator in T2. (I'm talking about weapon upgrade)

The solution is clear. Rhino must have HI armor and its lascannon damage and range should be reduced. I will accept the bolter on top of it but no way for that lascannon.
Cheah18
Level 3

Postby Cheah18 » Sun 08 Feb, 2015 7:16 pm

The accuracy vs infantry is just annoying as well.

Return to “Balance Discussion”