A fair point made on a Youtube video

Issues dealing with gameplay balance.
Lag
Level 3

A fair point made on a Youtube video

Postby Lag » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 9:11 am

Faithenseeker 18 hours ago
Commander grenades should have a minimum range, it looks silly seeing all these commanders throwing grenades at their feet and making it very very risky to mellee them

I kind of agree.
TomastheTankEngine
Developer

Re: A fair point made on a Youtube video

Postby TomastheTankEngine » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 9:43 am

Why? you can see they have grenades and you know they can throw them. You take the same risk with your melee troop trying to charge scouts, dire avengers or storm troopers.

Maybe the lingering AoE grenades could use the minimum range but I don't feel this should be the case. Commanders in certain wargear states are a bad idea to melee.
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 9:45 am

If you throw a nade at your feet with Scouts, DA's or Storms - you risk losing models. When you do it with a hero it is just LOLOLO.
The second paragraph you wrote is a fair point though.
TomastheTankEngine
Developer

Postby TomastheTankEngine » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 10:02 am

Full health commanders will survive. Those with less will not is not guaranteed. I have lost my kommandoe a few times from throwing nads but misclicking the move away, getting hammered by the nad and then been finished off by the attacking meele. The commander nads are essentially a gamble defensive mechanisms from melee for the weaker range commanders. The only commander I can think of who doesn't really need the defensive nad is the plague champion as he can become a melee beast.

There are a lot of cases where the meeling commanders is just "LOLOLO". For example the plague champ with his stunning wargear and fist is whole bunch of ouch. Or the ninja space elf with champions rob, heart of darkness and the slashy blade thing. Or the warboss with his claw and big stomp... Know your commanders and pick your fights.
Raffa
Level 4

Postby Raffa » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 11:24 am

TomastheTankEngine wrote:Know your commanders and pick your fights.

Exactly. There is no justification for making this change.

Maybe if you played any race other than IG you would have a better comprehension of the game mechanics like this.
Lag
Level 3

Postby Lag » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 11:36 am

@Raffa I used to main Orcs, then Eldar, then Chaos.

@Thomas you've got a point.
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 11:59 am

Well if PC has a grenade and you charge towards him, with ur shees i have no comment for u
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Thu 27 Jun, 2013 1:55 pm

Agreed. The wargears got buffed to their current state because they were useless before because people wouldn't just run straight at you. The point of these grenades and in fact nearly all grenades isn't, counter intuitively, to move stuff out of cover or AB, in fact it is to get retreat kills and to perform anti melee duties, predominantly.

I would like to ask do eldar players buy the BE upgrade for the extra 166hp or the grenades primarily (or shields vs IG), I would say it's more the grenades, at least at high level where you have learnt the micro needed to avoid unnecessary DA model losses... Point being you get grenades for their overall utility rather than being anti ranged or anti building which is too unreliable and too niche respectively. Keep it how it is, these grenades are meant to be anti-melee.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!

Return to “Balance Discussion”