Re: 2.2 preview

Postby Kvek » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 1:10 pm

Galvatom wrote:
Caeltos wrote:[i] Chaos
Touch of Nurgle duration reduced from 30 to 25 seconds
Icon of Khorne health restore from 2% to 2.5%
Subjugated units now become invulnerable to all damage
Mark of Nurgle Predator now slowly regenerates health

How come Chaos have had hardly anything done to them for the better? They've had really minimal buffs that won't make any difference and quite reasonable nerfs. They're by far the weakest army and now they're losing their one thing that can deal with Nobs, Terminators, Seer Council etc. What the hell?

You dont play Chaos do you ?. Terminators>Tzeench marines/ ur own terminators, Seer council>plague fist/chains/blood maul and the same with nobz all of Chaos heroes can counter nobz/seer council.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 3:02 pm

It's still an excessive nerf without anything to compensate. I'll accept the argument that it was a tad bit OP since it had no hard counters, but still it costs 200/50 is t3 and can be countered by killing the sorceror. Not to mention things like subjugate-nukes have the additional cost of 500 red too. If this goes through there certainly needs a price reduction on the tome of subjugation.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 3:31 pm

Well maybe with some "better" positioning u can put the empyreal in retreat path of the subjagated unit maybe ?
Vapor
Level 3

Postby Vapor » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 3:38 pm

That really is a serious nerf to subjugate. Why not give the Sorceror immunity to damage during the spell also? Might mix things up a bit. :shock:
Follow my stream! twitch.tv/frozenvapor100
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 3:56 pm

Yeah so you can't stop him from teleporting ur terminators into death...
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 4:35 pm

Kvek wrote:Yeah so you can't stop him from teleporting ur terminators into death...

Don't get terminators against a t3 sorceror like you wouldn't get genestealers against a t2 force commander w/ iron halo, artificer and thunderhammer, or double AC tics against a t1 HT w/ rending talons.
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 4:44 pm

Okay that was a 2v2 perspective :P
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 5:22 pm

but still it costs 200/50 is t3 and can be countered by killing the sorceror.

It does not cost 200/50 anymore. :roll:

Here are some things I'd like people to consider before jumping on the oddly-enough "bandwagon" of "not as ez to cheese-kill" high-value unit (Which isn't that fun of a mechanic to begin with) change.

* I'll be somewhat simplistic in this, so bare with me"
Lessened duration - Faster to get control of your Sorcerer to do as he please again. Considering that the duration was previously ~16s. Means that he can now have +6 seconds more up-time to do something else, be that Doombolt/Teleport/InsertHavoc. This is a good thing as well, as it's somewhat ":(" that you can't utilize the subjugated target as longer. It's a mix-bag, but it has it's pros & cons. <-- Keeping in mind, it's more fun to get control of your units again, so it's a nice thing for the opposition to have less frustration moments.

Invulnerable Subjugated targets - You can now effectively use lower-valued targets that can do as they please. Think of target such as set-up teams in general, Wraithguards/Banshees and never lose efficiency in return, since they are invulnerable. Previously, they were able to be focused-down a tad (Hopefully not resulting in a kill tho, but havocs towards-late game has a habbit of causing some friendly fire damage) and misc. details specifics. This means you can maximize the damage potency and pressure in return as well, whereas previously it would put you down abit if the subjugated targets took model losses (which results in combat effiency decline) -> let alone, the model reinforcement has been completely somewhat evaporated from the subjugation duration effect. So that's a thing for the opposition.

There are good/bad things that come from this, but it's not a direct-nerf. You'll just have to look at the pros/cons and make a verdict out of it. But I would definately prefer the term "Tweak", rather than "Nerf", since honestly, it was just cheesy as hell to just "insta-nuke/kill" high-valued target with little to no effort.

It's a frustrating game-mechanic that has a significant game-dictation. If anything, it'll allow for more strategical and experimental units to mind-control. As always however, it'll prove to be highly effective if done propertly, it just won't be that much of an cheese-element tied to anymore. Which if you ask me, is a good thing.
Galvatom
Level 0

Postby Galvatom » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 5:42 pm

Kvek wrote:
Galvatom wrote:
Caeltos wrote:[i] Chaos
Touch of Nurgle duration reduced from 30 to 25 seconds
Icon of Khorne health restore from 2% to 2.5%
Subjugated units now become invulnerable to all damage
Mark of Nurgle Predator now slowly regenerates health

How come Chaos have had hardly anything done to them for the better? They've had really minimal buffs that won't make any difference and quite reasonable nerfs. They're by far the weakest army and now they're losing their one thing that can deal with Nobs, Terminators, Seer Council etc. What the hell?

You dont play Chaos do you ?. Terminators>Tzeench marines/ ur own terminators, Seer council>plague fist/chains/blood maul and the same with nobz all of Chaos heroes can counter nobz/seer council.

Why would I make a complaint against them if I didn't play them? :P Ok. So.
Tzeentch Marines? Really? I wonder how much damage a Nob Squad would lose from Tzeentch Marines before they made it into melee. With Frenzy, it would be very little. Blood Maul and Plague Fist do nothing but disrupt. I want to kill them :P
Raffa
Level 4

Postby Raffa » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 6:04 pm

Galvatom wrote:Why would I make a complaint against them if I didn't play them? Ok. So. Tzeentch Marines? Really? I wonder how much damage a Nob Squad would lose from Tzeentch Marines before they made it into melee. With Frenzy, it would be very little. Blood Maul and Plague Fist do nothing but disrupt. I want to kill them

PUHLIZZZZ can we make balance forums so you can only post if you're known to at least be a moderately experienced player. Tired of all the crap like this.
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 6:15 pm

(Sorry Raffa) Fist and Maul only disrupt ? Both of them stun, Frenzy has high-red cost. And Tzeench Marines do bonus damage to HI (nobz) and yes they will focus fire them quite easily if you stun the nob squad with Fist/Maul
Galvatom
Level 0

Postby Galvatom » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 7:12 pm

DJ Raffa wrote:
Galvatom wrote:Why would I make a complaint against them if I didn't play them? Ok. So. Tzeentch Marines? Really? I wonder how much damage a Nob Squad would lose from Tzeentch Marines before they made it into melee. With Frenzy, it would be very little. Blood Maul and Plague Fist do nothing but disrupt. I want to kill them

PUHLIZZZZ can we make balance forums so you can only post if you're known to at least be a moderately experienced player. Tired of all the crap like this.

How about ignore it? That's a little bit unfair and biased isn't it? There's tons of good players out there other then just you guys who appear in casts who I know would say the same thing but just don't want to be in casts. You, as a Chaos player yourself, should know what I'm talking about. I've been playing this game since it was released so I know :P.
Chaos Librarian
Level 1

Postby Chaos Librarian » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 10:38 pm

Caeltos wrote:

Here are some things I'd like people to consider before jumping on the oddly-enough "bandwagon" of "not as ez to cheese-kill" high-value unit (Which isn't that fun of a mechanic to begin with) change.

Lessened duration - Faster to get control of your Sorcerer to do as he please again. Considering that the duration was previously ~16s. Means that he can now have +6 seconds more up-time to do something else, be that Doombolt/Teleport/InsertHavoc. This is a good thing as well, as it's somewhat ":(" that you can't utilize the subjugated target as longer. It's a mix-bag, but it has it's pros & cons. <-- Keeping in mind, it's more fun to get control of your units again, so it's a nice thing for the opposition to have less frustration moments.

Invulnerable Subjugated targets - You can now effectively use lower-valued targets that can do as they please. Think of target such as set-up teams in general, Wraithguards/Banshees and never lose efficiency in return, since they are invulnerable. Previously, they were able to be focused-down a tad (Hopefully not resulting in a kill tho, but havocs towards-late game has a habbit of causing some friendly fire damage) and misc. details specifics. This means you can maximize the damage potency and pressure in return as well, whereas previously it would put you down abit if the subjugated targets took model losses (which results in combat effiency decline) -> let alone, the model reinforcement has been completely somewhat evaporated from the subjugation duration effect. So that's a thing for the opposition.

There are good/bad things that come from this, but it's not a direct-nerf. You'll just have to look at the pros/cons and make a verdict out of it. But I would definately prefer the term "Tweak", rather than "Nerf", since honestly, it was just cheesy as hell to just "insta-nuke/kill" high-valued target with little to no effort.

It's a frustrating game-mechanic that has a significant game-dictation. If anything, it'll allow for more strategical and experimental units to mind-control. As always however, it'll prove to be highly effective if done propertly, it just won't be that much of an cheese-element tied to anymore. Which if you ask me, is a good thing.

Caeltos, Did you read my first response? You seem to be repeating what you said before. The only thing different about this post compared to your previous post is that you're complaining even more about sub-abyssing.

Let me reiterate from my last post. Hardly any player will actually dps down fragile units that have been subjugated. Let's say I subjugated banshees. First off, I wouldn't subjugate banshees unless I see them close enough to other eldar squads so that I can cause instant retreat/severe model losses without giving my opponent a chance to detect the sorc and focus him down. Secondly, let's suppose that I, for some strange reason, decide to subjugate a banshee squad that's away from the main eldar army and try to run it in to the eldar army. If the eldar player is foolish enough to actually focus down banshees, I'll just let them soak up the damage for a few seconds then fleet them back into the middle of my army, hopefully scoring a wipe on the banshee squad. And when it comes to subjugated termies/seer councils/nobs, I don't think friendly fire is or has ever been an issue. I REPEAT. Good players will opt to stun/knockback/suppress their subjugated squad to keep them harmless during subjugation instead of dpsing it down, so invulnerability on the subjugated squad does not help sorc players AT ALL.

Also, why in Tzentch's name would you ever want to subjugate a set-up squad? First off, since set-up squads are usually sitting in the back supporting the rest of the army, chances of the sorc actually getting up that close and subjugating without getting killed off instantly is close to zero. Secondly, why would you not just use warp rift into 2 x ac tics? Or even just teleport on to the set-up squad?

Let's also do some math here, shall we? Empyreal abyss takes 5 seconds to come out and lasts a total of 15 seconds and subjugation lasts 10 seconds. So assuming that you can keep the subjugated squad inside the inner circle of radius 5, which isn't always possible especially if enemy units are around and the subjugated squad wants to melee them, you have about 5 seconds for the abyss to rape the subjugated squad. Now, as Ace pointed out earlier, you can try to get around this problem by putting down the abyss before subjugating, but I hardly need to point out the enormous risk associated with this move. You can very likely end up wasting 500 red for nothing. Anyways, the inner circle does 200 heavy melee dps. We have 2 important cases to consider:

(1) Normal Terminators: 1500 hp each model. 5 x 200 = 1000 < 1500. So you can't just "click and instawipe" termies. It's not that simple. I suppose you could use chains of torment right after subjugation is over to keep the termies in place for full 15 seconds of the abyss, but chains can be focus fired down pretty quickly, not to mention it's taking damage from the abyss itself which will most likely tear the chains down soon.

(2) Nobs: 650 hp each model, Nob of Nobs has 850 hp. But, nobs have melee resistance aura which reduces incoming melee damage by 40%. So we get 5 x 200 x 0.6 = 600 < 650 < 850. Once again, not a "click and instawipe." You have to damage the nobs before and make sure they are away from support (especially big shoota with nobs support). Furthermore, since nobs can retreat out as soon as subjugation is over, the chances of a sorc player wasting 500 red is non-negligible (and I've wasted it many times before).

Needless to say Assault Termies have more hp then terminators, so no need to discuss that case.

My point is, sub-abyssing is not just a "click and win." Please don't refer to it as some cheesy tactic a n00b can pull off and insta win every game. There's a non-negligible chance you might fuck it up and waste 500 red. Also, you're forgoing chaos termies (which require 350 red) for quite a long time if you go this route. It especially hurts vs. nobs since the alternative solution of getting lighting claw termies is very viable and is much less of a risk.

But, to be honest, I don't care that much. I always welcome a challenge of coming up with new ways to break this game, and I was getting bored of sub-abyssing anyways. Also as I said before, it's your game, you do whatever the fuck you want with it. But, I want you to know this is not a buff, nor is it a "tweak." It's a straight-up nerf, and a pretty big one at that, so I would like to see something to compensate for it.

Also, @ DJ Raffa, trust me, I've pulled off all those "unlikely" combos with subjugation before.
Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Postby Ar-Aamon » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 10:54 pm

Galvatom wrote:
DJ Raffa wrote:

How about ignore it? That's a little bit unfair and biased isn't it? There's tons of good players out there other then just you guys who appear in casts who I know would say the same thing but just don't want to be in casts. You, as a Chaos player yourself, should know what I'm talking about. I've been playing this game since it was released so I know :P.

Never mind, this is DJ Raffa. Obviously he needs to slam other people by telling them they have no plan of the game. :roll:

It's kind of annoying but hey, the best way you can deal with: Just ignore it. :mrgreen:
FiSH
Level 3

Postby FiSH » Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:42 pm

I also agree that all this will be a big nerf to subjugation.
It takes effort to deliver the sorc into position for subjugation, and the sorc usually has to go after using the ability, but now the subjugated squad is going to stay on the battlefield at full hp. What this means as I see it is that now the chaos army has one less sorc, and the other team has a subjugated unit that is out of place.
I'd suggest a few buffs to compensate for this nerf, such as being able to use the sorc for the duration of subjugation, or buffing the duration of the ability, or the sorc becomes invulnerable, or the subjugated units are buffed in other ways so that they contribute to the chaos army in a better manner (such as speed/damage buff while subjugated).
Hopefully I can subjugate a tic squad and doomblast at least :lol:
><%FiSH((@>
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 1:14 am

Chaos Librarian wrote:
Caeltos wrote:

Caeltos, Did you read my first response? You seem to be repeating what you said before. The only thing different about this post compared to your previous post is that you're complaining even more about sub-abyssing.

Let me reiterate from my last post. Hardly any player will actually dps down fragile units that have been subjugated. Let's say I subjugated banshees. First off, I wouldn't subjugate banshees unless I see them close enough to other eldar squads so that I can cause instant retreat/severe model losses without giving my opponent a chance to detect the sorc and focus him down. Secondly, let's suppose that I, for some strange reason, decide to subjugate a banshee squad that's away from the main eldar army and try to run it in to the eldar army. If the eldar player is foolish enough to actually focus down banshees, I'll just let them soak up the damage for a few seconds then fleet them back into the middle of my army, hopefully scoring a wipe on the banshee squad. And when it comes to subjugated termies/seer councils/nobs, I don't think friendly fire is or has ever been an issue. I REPEAT. Good players will opt to stun/knockback/suppress their subjugated squad to keep them harmless during subjugation instead of dpsing it down, so invulnerability on the subjugated squad does not help sorc players AT ALL.

Also, why in Tzentch's name would you ever want to subjugate a set-up squad? First off, since set-up squads are usually sitting in the back supporting the rest of the army, chances of the sorc actually getting up that close and subjugating without getting killed off instantly is close to zero. Secondly, why would you not just use warp rift into 2 x ac tics? Or even just teleport on to the set-up squad?

Let's also do some math here, shall we? Empyreal abyss takes 5 seconds to come out and lasts a total of 15 seconds and subjugation lasts 10 seconds. So assuming that you can keep the subjugated squad inside the inner circle of radius 5, which isn't always possible especially if enemy units are around and the subjugated squad wants to melee them, you have about 5 seconds for the abyss to rape the subjugated squad. Now, as Ace pointed out earlier, you can try to get around this problem by putting down the abyss before subjugating, but I hardly need to point out the enormous risk associated with this move. You can very likely end up wasting 500 red for nothing. Anyways, the inner circle does 200 heavy melee dps. We have 2 important cases to consider:

(1) Normal Terminators: 1500 hp each model. 5 x 200 = 1000 < 1500. So you can't just "click and instawipe" termies. It's not that simple. I suppose you could use chains of torment right after subjugation is over to keep the termies in place for full 15 seconds of the abyss, but chains can be focus fired down pretty quickly, not to mention it's taking damage from the abyss itself which will most likely tear the chains down soon.

(2) Nobs: 650 hp each model, Nob of Nobs has 850 hp. But, nobs have melee resistance aura which reduces incoming melee damage by 40%. So we get 5 x 200 x 0.6 = 600 < 650 < 850. Once again, not a "click and instawipe." You have to damage the nobs before and make sure they are away from support (especially big shoota with nobs support). Furthermore, since nobs can retreat out as soon as subjugation is over, the chances of a sorc player wasting 500 red is non-negligible (and I've wasted it many times before).

Needless to say Assault Termies have more hp then terminators, so no need to discuss that case.

My point is, sub-abyssing is not just a "click and win." Please don't refer to it as some cheesy tactic a n00b can pull off and insta win every game. There's a non-negligible chance you might fuck it up and waste 500 red. Also, you're forgoing chaos termies (which require 350 red) for quite a long time if you go this route. It especially hurts vs. nobs since the alternative solution of getting lighting claw termies is very viable and is much less of a risk.

But, to be honest, I don't care that much. I always welcome a challenge of coming up with new ways to break this game, and I was getting bored of sub-abyssing anyways. Also as I said before, it's your game, you do whatever the fuck you want with it. But, I want you to know this is not a buff, nor is it a "tweak." It's a straight-up nerf, and a pretty big one at that, so I would like to see something to compensate for it.

Also, @ DJ Raffa, trust me, I've pulled off all those "unlikely" combos with subjugation before.

Not everything around Abyss revolves around Subjugating Nobs/Terminators. Sometimes even a standard-issued squad has as much, or more vital purpose to the players army composition. So I wouldn't exactly consider "Two very important cases" overshadowing the rest of all the units in the game. And we can't also always assume these units are the full health for the case, so it's kind of a moot to even bring it up. It's not like your just going to let high-value targets waddle around unscathed. :roll:

Secondly, just because your theorycrafted situation doesn't meet the demands of what I said, doesn't mean my scenario is unfeasible. Games fluxuate and never play out the same way. Players own preference of strategies will differentiate from one another, for an example, some people won't go with the 2x AC tic build, so there's the reason it's not a presentable option to "just warp rift in and kill them." There are so many multiple variables to consider here, and it's abit narrow-minded to just assume people will do "X and Y" to beat certain composition, since there are multiple units/builds let alone strategical approach that can be dealt with things.

Let-alone, not everyone will go with standard-cookie cutter builds, eventho it seems to be hard-habbit of shaking off. There are different ways to play it, and just because your dipping your feet in the water for the first and it's not very welcoming, doesn't mean it's good in another scenario. (Okay, that's an odd metaphor, but what I'm saying is, try different builds and different strategies to it, and find a working method for it. Just because it doesn't work the first time, doesn't mean it can be polished and refined to work for a specific strategy and build)

Much of that can be applied to Subjugation as well. The new change is meant to bolsten the units effiency in terms of raw-combat potency, and it does. It's just how some scenarios are going to pan out. Much like vehicles, and you subjugate a target that is capable of dealing with it. The vehicle will kite backwards, and fire on it. Resulting in a potential model loss inflication, which in return has two key-pros/cons

- Model loss , player A losses economy from reinf.
- Model loss, player B loses combat effiency from subjugated target.

Now, I think it's fair to say, that losing models is always a bad thing when it comes to fighting performance. You're not going to stay on the battlefield with a lonesome squad member, since generally, they do not have combat effiency. What if you had that extra-squad/member(s), then you might have taken a vital-target down, or caused more damage on your enemies.

The change in return does this;

- No Model losses, restricted/eliminated. Eases up economical stucture, however - might lose combat from the following;
- No Model losses; 100% combat effiency. Attacking kiting targets now has no real drawback on the subjugated targets combat effiency, since it will always be at the top. (Assuming they have max-squad size). Allows for more pressure potential and actual combat-utility useage. Even if no "vital"/terminator squads and such are present, the ability itself grows in it's effiency versus non terminator/nob/yada targets, since the targets are invulnerable for the duration.

I could really elaborate on this to the end of days, but how anyone percieve this as a direct-nerf, really doesn't grasp the concept of "tweaking". A direct nerf is something more simplistic as "Damage went down", as it has direct-implication of direct-combat effiency decline, or the polar opposite "Damage went up", both of these are clear indication of changes that either an improvement, or a reduced effinecy. And last of all, "Shotgun now deals more damage closer to the target, and less from afar", is percieved as a tweak, as it does abit of both. It improves, but worsen their range performance.

Much is similiar to the Subjugation when you really ham yourself into the variables of it. It is a TWEAK and I don't see how I can furthermore elaborate on it to make you understand it. I would have almost thought it was a given by this time of age. Tweaking is a pivotal part of making things work. It's a word that is seldom used, and onfortunately enough, not everything has to revolve around "buff or nerf", I much prefer tweaks, which is something that the modification has gone through alot of. And I'm not neccasarily just talking about unit performance as whole, it's more matchup in some scenarios.

Now, I should have probably started off with this, but I don't aim to be offensive/rude in this response, but I just get abit annoyed over the word words "buff" or "nerf" on some occasions, when it's more of a direct-tweak that is being made, and of course, the Tyranid Leader thingiemajig, which I thought I explained myself, was more of an experimental thing. I was actually more in the mindset of nerfing Subjugation since it's an annoying mechanic in the game. I believe it actually has a direct-phrase that is commonly used within developers- but I cannot for the love of my life remember what it's called. Either way, the loss of control is generally not percieved as very positive thing, and Subjugation has abit of that effect, it's not really a fun mechanic. But I believe that it can be tweaked to ensure it's "originality" remains truthful and the mechanic of it is improved.

As well with all things, as the ... beta patch process goes, the patch will most likely undergo some more substantial changes. I'd like everyone to at least put their trust & faith in me, since well- you're still playing for now, and people seem to be enjoying it. I just aim towards not screwing it up, and if it ends up being screwed up, well- back to things that worked! :mrgreen:

One thing I actually really wanted to make further improvements was wargears, but I've seen useage of pretty much well, all wargears to some degree, and they seem to be doing alright. I think the Lictor Alphas weapon might be a seemingly lackluster, but I think that's partially because I don't think people have skimmed through those changelogs just yet. Espicially for the DoT one. ;)
and the TL;DR version;
Patch is a draft and NOT FINAL
Patch will most likely undergo some substantial changes
Vapor
Level 3

Postby Vapor » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 1:22 am

lol how about Subjugate hands control of the Sorceror to the enemy. That would be awesome. Both units invincible of course.
Follow my stream! twitch.tv/frozenvapor100
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 3:44 am

afaik melee resistance has no effect on abyss because the source is an ability, not a melee attack.

also, abyss will certainly wipe nobz.
Chaos Librarian
Level 1

Postby Chaos Librarian » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 3:45 am

Caeltos,

I'll keep this relatively short since I don't want this conversation to continue indefinitely.

You haven't addressed my main point. My point is by tier 3, most armies will have at least one, if not more, readily accessible source of suppression/knockback/stun which cost less and have shorter cooldown/risk factor than subjugation. And besides Termies (for whom invulnerability while being subjugated matters the least), any other potential target for subjugation is susceptible to suppression/knockback/stun. So, yes, making the subjugated squad invulnerable "theoratically" helps their combat performance but in most practical cases makes no difference since they will be incapacitated (but not damaged) for the entire 10 seconds of subjugation. In fact, in my experience, even now, most players deal with subjugation by such incapcitation of the subjugated squad.

And the invulnerability during subjugation "unintentionally" stops many tricks which relied on friendly fire during subjugation. Now, if you were to say that you're making the changes to subjugation to stop such buggy, abusive uses of an ability, I would be totally fine with that. But please don't tell me that the added combat efficiency of being invulnerable to damage (which is largely if not entirely nullified by plethora of incapacitation available).

Im not whining about sorc getting changed. Like I said, I'm happy to accept the change if you implement it. I just want you to admit that the invulnerability during subjugation is meant largely to counteract abusive usages (i.e. sub-abyssing) of the ability in the meta right now.

Now, I should have probably started off with this, but I don't aim to be offensive/rude in this response, but blah blah "I mean no offense" blah blah.
Spartan717
Level 2

Postby Spartan717 » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 7:27 am

Just a random suggestion. Would it be possible for chaos shrines to show the area which is covered by its affects (ie. the blue circle thing for turrets). It would make it easier to know which areas are covered by the shrine's affects, hence allowing you to build shrines in non-affected areas.

On a seperate note, I believe that the noise marines' cacophony ability needs some adjustment. The problem I have with the ability is that it knock back my own units, forcing me seperate the noise marines from the rest of the army and hence making them more vulnerable (they are usually placed at the front of army due to range). When compared to the sentinel stomp, dirge caster, raptors who all stun/suppress enemy units only, I only use the noise marine's ability to give them some time to retreat from melee squads. I suggest making cacophony not knockback your own units, but perhaps decrease the duration.
Last edited by Spartan717 on Thu 13 Jun, 2013 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
dance commander
Level 2

Postby dance commander » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 8:20 am

Nuclear Arbitor wrote:afaik melee resistance has no effect on abyss because the source is an ability, not a melee attack.

also, abyss will certainly wipe nobz.

The game does that kind of distinction? The damage of the empyreal abyss being heavy melee.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 8:43 am

iirc, yes. type only affects how much goes through armour; source affects things like the retreat multiplier.
Raffa
Level 4

Postby Raffa » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 8:55 am

DJ Raffa wrote:I would put money on this change to subjugation being made exclusively to stop "sub-abyssing"

@ChaosLibrarian

Much as I do not like this "tweak", I don't have a crystal ball and don't know for sure how this will pan out. So I'm inclined to give Caeltos the benefit of the doubt here and at least try to make the new Subjugate work, only because practically every Elite Mod change has been for the better so I think he deserves some support when he's making a controversial change. Tbh the Chaos player in me wants to keep Subjugate as it is, but the balance part says (unfortunately) that Subjugate may need a hit.

Don't wanna sound patronising here, but although it is "hard" to sub-abyss units it is not nearly impossible, in fact for a player like you an oppurtunity to do so will present itself practically every game. iirc I have played with and against you when you have sub-abyssed a unit and I think even you might have to admit that it is too simple to wipe full hp nobs/termies for the ripoff cost of 500 red.

I'm gonna leave it for now and come back and complain about it if I feel it's not working after I've tried to make it work. I have a funny feeling you will still find a way to make it work too.

@Caeltos

Icon of Khorne gives +2.5% hp per hit? Do you mean 1.5% as iirc it always was 1%.

Ar-Aamon wrote:Never mind, this is DJ Raffa. Obviously he needs to slam other people by telling them they have no plan of the game.

It's kind of annoying but hey, the best way you can deal with: Just ignore it.

1. stfu
2. go troll somewhere else
Enlargingcloud
Level 0

Postby Enlargingcloud » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 9:19 am

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I'm enlargingcloud, I'm in one gamereplay (I'm the lictor who loses his entire army at one point lol).

I'll try and be concise about this issue. There a lot of good points here and I'm not the most experienced here but hear me out.

Here is how I might summarize the sorcerer's ability to get in range:
-"I walked in" (watch Black Dynamite)
-teleporting
-'I walked in" while infiltrated by 1 or 2 tics (we all know our good friend Chaos Librarian yes?)

So basically there are 2 ways to safely close range on a target without reaction, while one can always wait until a battle has progressed. If you can submit a unit before you are about to win an engagement, the Sorcerer is safe. Now you have their unit.

Once a unit is subjugated, there are lots of things to be done.

-activate abyss (not all too often but it happens)
-put it into a group of close combat units (tics or khorne berzerkers come to mind)
-activate flame global
-Have a teammate use actually powerful grenades or attack ground capable units to annihilate the unit. Wraithguard, manticores, GUO, anything.

This doesn't mean the unit automatically dies in all cases, but its a 200-150req 50power upgrade. I think it relates to an experience I have in retail with anti-infantry abilities.

One time I was losing a 2v2 against eldar and lacked power so I spammed lictors. I was against Voltorb (who was carrying the game, much better player than I am). However, in the end the lictors were able to get so many hero kills (space marines+eldar team) that they justified all 4 of them. The were able to precisely fuck over one unit that was vital to both armies.

I think the problem with submission is that it is cheap, and situational, but is able to really cripple some armies, and I think its rewards are greater than the cost of planning out how to use it.

To end what may sound like a rant/long anecdote, here are some ways that I think it could be fixed. Also please excuse my ignorance when it comes to saying "you could do this" without knowing how hard it is the program this stuff.

1. Make submissive unit:
-immune to damage and suppression
-deal decreased damage

2. Make submissive unit:
-take decreased damage during submission
-take decreased damage for 10 seconds after submission

3. Make submissive unit:
-immune to damage during submission
-immune of to damage for 10 seconds after submission

Idea 1 makes the unit always able to have an impact in a battle. It merely justifies the use of the item. As an added bonus, it acts like a phase shifter so if you time it right you can abyss a unit, but the unit will be falling back if unit's owner knows what they are doing. This means nobs will not be wiped. Other units may get wiped, but only if hit by a very well placed abyss/other global.

Idea 2 allows people to nuke the unit if they want, but with less success. This means no nobs get auto killed. Other units may die, but they have a better chance of surviving, and if they are alive they can have some revenge right afterwards.

Idea 3 makes the unit powerful during the fight and threatening after the fight. More of a double edged sword in my opinion. The unit can't be nuked.

I think the animation of the bloodletters phase shift would be good to represent how the unit is affected (resilience-wise). But then again I'm not sure how programming works with submission. Let me know if these ideas sound like ok fixes.

P.S. I tried to address most perspective in the debate including:
-"people just suppress the unit I control and make it useless"
-"I lost my nobs in that yonder abyss"
-"I think this upgrade is bullcrap"
-"I think this is fine how it is"
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 10:33 am

Icon of Khorne gives +2.5% hp per hit? Do you mean 1.5% as iirc it always was 1%.

There are some typos in the changelog, that's just one of the few. Number crunching and making getting the actual stats up-to date, so like I said.

Changelog's gonna change! :mrgreen:

I just want you to admit that the invulnerability during subjugation is meant largely to counteract abusive usages (i.e. sub-abyssing) of the ability in the meta right now.

Yes, of course. That's why the change was made in the first place. It's something that's been continously adressed as an issue (and I agree). thus the change.

Now, I should have probably started off with this, but I don't aim to be offensive/rude in this response, but blah blah "I mean no offense" blah blah.

Now I'm not sure if you're just mocking me. :roll: but adding in "blah blah blah" isn't really selling this message.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 10:49 am

I am updating the original post as changes are applied and the numbers on that list are correct/final.
Raffa
Level 4

Postby Raffa » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 1:46 pm

Caeltos wrote:

There are some typos in the changelog, that's just one of the few. Number crunching and making getting the actual stats up-to date, so like I said.

I just want you to admit that the invulnerability during subjugation is meant largely to counteract abusive usages (i.e. sub-abyssing) of the ability in the meta right now.

Yes, of course. That's why the change was made in the first place. It's something that's been continously adressed as an issue (and I agree). thus the change.

Ok thanks for clearing these up. One more thing if you don't mind..

What is the purpose of the Daemon Maul? I main Chaos and I tried it 4 or 5 times but honestly don't see the point in it. How does it justify the 90/25 cost? +5dps and an ability that is functional, not useful? Casts normally don't reflect the game well, but isn't it slightly coincidental that in all the casts out there iirc nobody has ever purchased this upgrade?

To compare a few things you could spent that on in T2:

75/25 - Raptor Meltas
80/25 - CSM Champion
80/25 - Raptor Champion
90/25 - Raptor Daemon Maul
90/25 - heretic AC
90/30 - MoK for CSM

Otherwise can anyone tell me the purpose of this thing? :mrgreen:
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 3:54 pm

DJ Raffa wrote:
Caeltos wrote:

Ok thanks for clearing these up. One more thing if you don't mind..

What is the purpose of the Daemon Maul? I main Chaos and I tried it 4 or 5 times but honestly don't see the point in it. How does it justify the 90/25 cost? +5dps and an ability that is functional, not useful? Casts normally don't reflect the game well, but isn't it slightly coincidental that in all the casts out there iirc nobody has ever purchased this upgrade?

To compare a few things you could spent that on in T2:

75/25 - Raptor Meltas
80/25 - CSM Champion
80/25 - Raptor Champion
90/25 - Raptor Daemon Maul
90/25 - heretic AC
90/30 - MoK for CSM

Otherwise can anyone tell me the purpose of this thing? :mrgreen:

Well I would imagine that the daemon maul acts somewhat like the MGs on grenadiers in COH2, which you may not play. Basically you don't want to get them as soon as you can, they are a late game upgrade which passively increased the effectiveness of the squad, but you only get them when floating munitions even tohugh you can theoretically get them in t1.

Raptors blood maul, I would imagine, has the same purpose. That is, to just give a nice passive buff to the AC squad if you want to keep them in melee in t3. I mean, you get the maul whenever you have a sergeant, if you lose the sergeant you have to re-buy the sergeant. To be honest though, I don't think it was even that bad when the blood maul was passed down onto the lowly scrub raptors.
dance commander
Level 2

Postby dance commander » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 4:09 pm

That Torpid Gamer wrote:Well I would imagine that the daemon maul acts somewhat like the MGs on grenadiers in COH2, which you may not play. Basically you don't want to get them as soon as you can, they are a late game upgrade which passively increased the effectiveness of the squad, but you only get them when floating munitions even tohugh you can theoretically get them in t1.

Raptors blood maul, I would imagine, has the same purpose. That is, to just give a nice passive buff to the AC squad if you want to keep them in melee in t3. I mean, you get the maul whenever you have a sergeant, if you lose the sergeant you have to re-buy the sergeant. To be honest though, I don't think it was even that bad when the blood maul was passed down onto the lowly scrub raptors.

Meh, I would never lose the option to switch to meltas for such a pathetic upgrade.
Raffa
Level 4

Postby Raffa » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 4:37 pm

That Torpid Gamer wrote:Raptors blood maul, I would imagine, has the same purpose. That is, to just give a nice passive buff to the AC squad if you want to keep them in melee in t3. I mean, you get the maul whenever you have a sergeant, if you lose the sergeant you have to re-buy the sergeant. To be honest though, I don't think it was even that bad when the blood maul was passed down onto the lowly scrub raptors.

So basically buy it in a high-resource game :mrgreen:

dance commander wrote:Meh, I would never lose the option to switch to meltas for such a pathetic upgrade.

Exactly

Return to “Community General Discussion”