MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Generic non-balance topics.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 26 Dec, 2019 6:29 am

Just wanted to wish everyone a merry Christmas :)

I've also decided to start on my guide for how to play the game. Have a few pages done for the draft but it's not finished yet. I also have to learn how to make videos since people are too lazy to read nowadays. Maybe it'll be done Jan/Feb sometime. Anyways, will share a few paragraphs:

Hello, in this guide I will be going over how to play Dawn of War 2 multiplayer. This will be covering the Elite mod and not retail. For those who don’t know what Elite mod is it’s a modification done by the community that is better balanced, has less bugs, new units, and even a new race called the Ordo Malleus/Grey Knights. Retail balance wasn’t very well done and there were a lot of things like units or abilities under or overperforming. The balance in Elite mod is made to give longer better games as opposed to a game going well and then a single overtuned ability causing the game to end.

Anyways, this game is mainly a game of tactics. It is not the make workers all game then a-move your deathball type that is popular among other RTS’s. I’ll try and keep this guide as simple as I can for new players.

First off I want to go over the races in the game:

Space Marines: Space Marines are small in number and expensive but very durable and adaptable
Eldar: Eldar are fast and fragile with lots of abilities
Orks: Orks are fragile, slow and powerful
Chaos Space Marines: Chaos Space Marines are like Space Marines only they worship Chaos and have their units and abilities based off of that. They are better than Space Marines in holding ground though have less mobility
Imperial Guard: The Imperial Guard are regular humans. They are individually weak but are numerous and rely on ranged firepower, vehicles and artillery
Tyranids: Tyranids are comprised of weak numerous units called Gaunts and then stronger bugs that have synapse, which makes the units around them do things such as more damage, have more health, health regeneration increases, or even things like leaping
Ordo Malleus: The Order Malleus is a blend of a specific Space Marine chapter called the Grey Knights, who focus on melee combat and physic powers used to battle the forces of Chaos, and the Inquisition, who bring things such as Storm Troopers or Operatives. They are more push and melee focused version of Space Marines and have less mobility and adaptability

As for the commanders, each race has 3. You’re told what kind of playstyle each commander has and are shown the global abilities for each one. Each commander in a race uses the same army, but they will have slightly different global abilities and since the commanders are unique each one will use their army differently.

Now for the units. Each race has 3 tiers in it and it requires resources to increase to the next tier. Each tier brings with it more powerful units, upgrades and even access to more globals. This is how your army is divided and you need to make your purchase options based off of what you can afford at the time. As for what to get, every unit has a role in your army and nothing is added for the sake of it. You need to learn each units role and buy what you need.

To try and make this simple, first off separate your units by range. Short, medium and long range. Short range units are your melee units such as Sluggas. Medium range units are units like Tactical Marines. Long range units are units such as the D-Cannon. Your short range units need to get in close to be effective. Your medium range units need to keep short range units away and to close in on long range units. Long range units need to stay away from everything but will be powerful versus everything until they manage to close in.

Next I’m going to talk about armour and weapons. There are many types, often for lore or balance reasons, but I’m just going to list the main ones:

Normal infantry armour: you take damage from everything

Heavy armour: You have a resistance to regular piercing shots but take more from plasma or power weapons

Super Heavy armour: You have lots of resistance to piercing and take more damage from plasma or power weapons and take damage from Anti-Vehicle weapons or melee heavy

Vehicle: You have lots of resistance to piercing, some resistance to plasma or power weapons and take normal damage from AV weapons or melee heavy
Nurland

Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Postby Nurland » Thu 26 Dec, 2019 8:24 am

Commander and SHI both have a 30% resistance to normal melee. Vehicles take half damage from heavy melee but it is still quite a bit since the base damage of melee weapons is so high.

AV does full damage to pretty all armor types. Whether or not AV weapons are effective against a target depends on the size of a model. Large and huge models get hit by infantry AV weapons reliably, medium, small and tiny ones very unreliably (20-30% on medium, 5% chance to get hit on small and even less on tiny). As Terminators are medium and Ogryns small, the only SHI units you should currently use AV against are TG, GUO and Ava.
#noobcodex
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 26 Dec, 2019 8:30 pm

I already got another section for accuracy. The hard part is going to be rewriting everything to make it as simple as possible when there are tons of small details everywhere.
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Thu 26 Dec, 2019 10:33 pm

Differentiate between unit type and armor type and everything suddenly makes sense. This is why old enhanced tooltips mod was good because it clearly showed all this.

Unit type vehicles and monstrous creatures are vulnerable to AV weapons and snares, but vehicle armor type has no drawbacks whatsoever, it's simply the best at everything. This is why vehicle armor type is never paired with any unit type other than vehicle or monstrous creature, because it would be broken as fuck. Same reason why monstrous creatures with SHI armor type are given significantly more HP than vehicle armor type monstrous creatures to compensate, because SHI armor type is far more vulnerable to damage.

It's also why sentinel is vulnerable to small arms fire, because it is unit type vehicle but armor type HI.
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Hutsy
Level 2

Postby Hutsy » Mon 30 Dec, 2019 1:26 am

Genuine (and terribly stupid question - but I've never found it Googling)...

How do you do Attack Move, and Attack Ground?

Literally been playing this for years and never really saw how to do it.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 30 Dec, 2019 4:58 am

Hutsy wrote:Genuine (and terribly stupid question - but I've never found it Googling)...

How do you do Attack Move, and Attack Ground?

Literally been playing this for years and never really saw how to do it.

A and then left click for attack move
G and then left click for attack ground. Can only be used on certain abilities that have the functionality. Ex. P-Devs
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 30 Dec, 2019 7:27 am

There are actually commands listed in the DoW 3 manual that work in DoW 2, but not listed in the DoW 2 or 1 manual :p It's how I learnt Ctrl+A selects all units on screen. Pretty useful.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Mon 30 Dec, 2019 9:06 am

In case you don't use shortcuts.
When you have a unit selected, in the bottom right of the screen a unit cards pops up with the commands in there.
Attack ground is the button on the left of the retreat button.
Attack move is the most left button in that same row.
Last edited by Dark Riku on Wed 01 Jan, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hutsy
Level 2

Postby Hutsy » Mon 30 Dec, 2019 2:05 pm

Cheers chaps! :D
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Wed 01 Jan, 2020 2:48 pm

You do a good job - just rename it to MERRY CHRISTMAS (+new players MUST SEE)

Return to “Community General Discussion”