1v1 stats expansion

Generic non-balance topics.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

1v1 stats expansion

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 06 Aug, 2019 10:01 am

So I have been thinking about how we could get more information out of the currently played 1v1s statistics. One idea of mine was to group faction wins not by time played but also by skill level ranges. I do not know which ranges I should pick here as I want to give a representation of that factions capabilities across all skill levels but I don't want it to be too detailed as that would give a wrong impression. Ideally we would have only 3 ranges (beginner, mid, high, league). Please give me some suggestions for relevant skill level ranges. Discuss!

Further more, if you have any statistic, that you think would be interesting, drop it here, discuss it and if more people think it's good, I will implement it.
oLev
Level 2

Re: 1v1 stats expansion

Postby oLev » Tue 06 Aug, 2019 11:46 am

How is it going to be implemented?

By associating each W/L/pick with ELO of the player at the time you can ensure that a much-improved player doesn't bring their noob losses into the high skill statistics set. Problem is ELO is so inaccurate in such a small and inactive community.

We have a ladder and each player has individual faction statistics that could be collated, but a lot of the wins are from players who have fallen off the ladder already and a lot of low skill statistics will also be lost as they are players who don't play ladder matches much.
Taking say the top 10 records on ladder and combining their individual faction winrates will only be a reflection of the personal preferences of the top 10 players, because a lot of wins won't be against similar ranked opponents.

The more I think about it the more of a statistical nightmare it becomes.

How about a more useful stat instead, which is the W/L/pick stats for the time periods of each patch? Just taking all the stats for a given period seems much easier to do without introducing all sorts of confounding artifacts into the data.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Tue 06 Aug, 2019 4:48 pm

agreed with olev, there's some serious inconsistencies given how many games are against noob players to boost stats *ahem*. Not to mention not all games are logged in the first place. Other than the top handful, the ladder ranking is almost arbitrary
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Adila
Level 3

Postby Adila » Tue 06 Aug, 2019 5:15 pm

We already have the average skill between 2 Players shown on the last played matches, we could use that same stat to display a range of overall skill level in game for exmplae 2k+ mus are high level 1500-1800 avarge skill would be midrange etc.If you could implement stats based on that we would give a more accurate showing of how the performance of a facion is on actual equal skill level.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 6:13 pm

@Olev: Well, that is what we are here to discuss. I get your point about the discrepancy between two players. One solution would be to simply use the mean value of the two scores and build the stats on that, as Adila suggested, or to introduce a standard deviation limit so that games that were played by players too different in skill-level do not count into that statistic. That should definitely prevent people like Arctic Frenzy polluting the stats.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 1:58 pm

I think first question is there any point to even having a ladder anymore?
When I first heard about this ladder thought it will bring back the 1v1 scene in elite and it did for awhile you could get 1v1 games easy back 2 years ago, nowadays the only time you can get 1v1 is through league and that's once every year.
Unless people come back and play on a constant basis then ladder stats with always be fucked up, its only get used for once thing atm league.

1. If you really want to make it better start with that both players have to say ranked for games to count not just random ass ones gets put in.
2. Lower skill rating gives way to much rating for high levels.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.

Return to “Community General Discussion”