Make Elite mod easier to install

Generic non-balance topics.
Drado
Level 0

Make Elite mod easier to install

Postby Drado » Tue 26 Mar, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi,

I have a feeling that some people who download Elite mod don't understand how to actually install it.

Could we include a Readme.txt file in the download of the mod with a guide on how to install it?

It would look something like this:
1. Put the Elite folder in your game directory, e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dawn of War II - Retribution
2. In Steam, right click the dow2 retribution and go to Properties.
3. Click on Set Launch Options in the General tab and add this line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 56400 -nomovies -modname Elite
4. Start dow2 retribution and control that you have the latest version.

It would also be good if there was a link on the frontpage https://www.dawnofwar.info/ that takes you to this guide.
Adila
Level 3

Re: Make Elite mod easier to install

Postby Adila » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 10:48 am

It is even easier then that...you just click the install buttom and a Elite mod icon is created on your desktop when the installation is finished, only thing you need to make sure that it is on the same Drive your Retail game is. There is really no black magic here.
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 1:19 pm

I think your suggestion would make it more difficult. Elites installer is automatic already, and does not overwrite your retail copy, meaning you can play both at the same time without changing anything. Having to set launch options means switching between versions is needless hassle. If you are paying attention to where the installer is going (which is 99% of the time correct) theres no manual installation.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Drado
Level 0

Postby Drado » Thu 28 Mar, 2019 6:18 pm

Aha, maybe it was only a problem for me then because I had Steam on a different drive than the default C: drive. Thanks for clarifying!
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Fri 29 Mar, 2019 4:30 am

That being said, I have been thinking about pursuing a Launcher option for Elite Mod. But that's more of a long term project for now.

Return to “Community General Discussion”