help me choose a faction ( and other stuff)

Generic non-balance topics.
Dachshund
Level 1

help me choose a faction ( and other stuff)

Postby Dachshund » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 5:02 pm

hello!
How are you guys doing?

I´m Dachshund, and recently started playing dow2. Just downloaded elite.
Having lots of fun. You guys did an excellent job!
Of course, i have some questions, so i created this thread for them.

Can someone tell me about the different factions?

So far i liked:

tyranids- seems a straight foward faction

orks- they are hilarious

chaos- ''YOUR FORCES OBEY YOU"

also , whats the best time for finding games?

I tried some games against the AI , but it is terrible easy =/

cheers! =)
Rostam
Level 4

Re: help me choose a faction ( and other stuff)

Postby Rostam » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 5:22 pm

welcome
usually evening are the best time to find games, also weekends are pretty good for that as well especially Saturdays
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 6:20 pm

The only thing you need to know is to pick Ordo Malleus. We're going to make them great again and there's not many OM players :P
Dachshund
Level 1

Postby Dachshund » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 7:47 pm

ordos sounds good!
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 8:03 pm

Dachshund wrote:ordos sounds good!

that was a joke. OM is perhaps the worst race which very few like/play. its not fun to play :P

for starting Warboss,ForceCommander,Warlock,ChaosLord would be good
Tyranids a bit hard to play but lictor alpha got some buffs so might be nice in 1v1
also commissar is a good ig hero to start

but for starters its better to pick a race/hero and master it
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 9:26 pm

EU time is the main time everyone is on. Just add people you play with on friends and check when they're on. Or just add everyone since the playerbase isn't high and know when everyone is on :p

If you've never played an RTS before or are just not very fast try to pick a low APM commander/faction. Also, team games are easier to get into than 1v1 since you're usually fighting in a small area where all your units are on your screen. In 1v1 there's multitasking across the map, which makes it much harder (especially if you're above 1080p like me and can't use the minimap).

You can learn more about each faction from the wiki:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Ork for example
Malachi
Level 0

Postby Malachi » Fri 03 Aug, 2018 10:15 pm

HI,

There's one advice I have for a beginner:
Do not learn to play as a defensive commander (Techmarine, Plague Champion, Mek). Or at least, avoid relying on turrets.

A friend of mine that I frequently play with, learned to play as Techmarine. He adapted mass turreting as a "playstyle". The problem was, once everyone moved on to a higher skill level, and was able to punish the static nature of the turrets, that person could not just adapt. He had (actually, still has) to learn to play the game anew, as he can no longer depend on the turrets.

This is probably completely alien to everyone on this forum, as I'm talking really, really beginner skill levels, but I think it's a good advice. Defensive commanders are great, but first learn the game as something else, or it could cause some bad habits.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 3:47 am

Malachi wrote:HI,

There's one advice I have for a beginner:
Do not learn to play as a defensive commander (Techmarine, Plague Champion, Mek). Or at least, avoid relying on turrets.

A friend of mine that I frequently play with, learned to play as Techmarine. He adapted mass turreting as a "playstyle". The problem was, once everyone moved on to a higher skill level, and was able to punish the static nature of the turrets, that person could not just adapt. He had (actually, still has) to learn to play the game anew, as he can no longer depend on the turrets.

This is probably completely alien to everyone on this forum, as I'm talking really, really beginner skill levels, but I think it's a good advice. Defensive commanders are great, but first learn the game as something else, or it could cause some bad habits.

Turreting actually works at a high level too. Just have to be smart about it. Tell your friend to keep practising and improving.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 7:13 am

Indeed turreting is legit good strategy. It annoys the living *********** out of me but still it can work.

Also, you can play all defensive commanders without turreting so no need to avoid them. Just join An'grathul's discord and the Elite Mod Playtesting discord so you can ask people to play and/or give advice.

Also, post on the strategy section of the forums to get advice for specific situations.

You can pick whatever faction you want but probably Plague Champ, Chaos Lord, Warboss and Force Commander are the ones you can most easily get into the game. Maybe something like Lord General or Inquisitor as Imperial Guard. Commie Lord is easily the hardest IG hero to play for a newer player imho.

Eldar is pretty punishing for an inexperienced player. Nids are on the tougher side but there the Hive Tyramt is the easiest to play.
#noobcodex
Malachi
Level 0

Postby Malachi » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 8:41 am

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:
Malachi wrote:Turreting actually works at a high level too. Just have to be smart about it. Tell your friend to keep practising and improving.

Well, I'm aware that turrets are a legitimate startegy, and got kind of buffed in Elite (?)
However, my point was, defensive turreting is very different from standard play, and if you learn that, you can't easily switch to non-turret play.
My friend is known to always place turrets (2-3 in T1), and then either lose to the early T2 counter, or, because it's not a 1v1, his ally gets 2v1ed, while he sits here guarding his 1/4 of the map.

When, once in a while, the game plays to his strenghts, the turrets are indeed a major annoyance.
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 12:57 pm

Rostam wrote:
Dachshund wrote:ordos sounds good!

that was a joke. OM is perhaps the worst race which very few like/play. its not fun to play :P

OM is the GREATEST race :)

They are good in many ways - casting\melee\flame\operatives - these are good and diverse strategies. It's interesting and fun to play them. Some bugs in tooltips and BROKEN CODEX are boring, but just play and test them to learn.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 6:05 pm

Chaos is still the easiest race to play imo. Their units are all pretty straight forward, and you don't need to rely on synergies as much as brute force. Chaos lord and pc are great beginner heroes

If you really want easy mode, play chaos in retail when you can't find elite games. You'll get some bad habits, but you can still get the basics down
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 6:42 pm

Just play whatever you want, that's usually the best advice for beginners tbh.
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 04 Aug, 2018 11:08 pm

Toilailee wrote:Just play whatever you want, that's usually the best advice for beginners tbh.

+1
Dachshund
Level 1

Postby Dachshund » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 12:02 am

all right

guess I will stick to tyranids then

gonna jump into multiplayer

hope its newbie friendly
Reineke
Level 1

Postby Reineke » Sun 05 Aug, 2018 12:14 am

If you want noob friendly games, go here : https://discord.gg/X6X4n4
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Mon 06 Aug, 2018 10:57 am

The only race is the master race...hummies... 8-)
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Vindicarex
Head of Balance

Postby Vindicarex » Wed 08 Aug, 2018 11:01 pm

Rostam wrote:welcome
usually evening are the best time to find games, also weekends are pretty good for that as well especially Saturdays

How can there be when OM is banned in literally every competitive game
Nurland

Re: RE: Re: help me choose a faction ( and other stuff)

Postby Nurland » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:23 am

Vindicarex wrote:[quote="Rostam"]welcome

How can there be when OM is banned in literally every competitive game[/quote]I am going to answer this question with another question from a well renowned philosopher: "How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?"
#noobcodex
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:46 am

Vindicarex wrote:
Rostam wrote:welcome
OM is perhaps the worst race which very few like/play. its not fun to play

How can there be when OM is banned in literally every competitive game

Let me ask you this, for example; you are playing a 1v1 vs eldar how would u play?
they have no setup teams to counter flanking sheese and warlock (purg supress but not as good as a sut)
also no jump troops t1 vs cheep rangers and shuri bursts .

OM problem is they are an incompatible race and have been for a long time and new innovations just makes the worse
the lack of SUT/Jump troop in t1 - weird av - lack of tanks t3 - incompatible globals ... etc

They can be fixed though, by making them like sm/chaos a bit but modders wont do that since they want "uniqueness"
Just bring interceptors t1 give them melta (like asm) and remove operatives, last patch Interceptors were teleporting atuocanons
and give them pred in t3 like sm/chaos done its a lot like sm/chaos but at least playable
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 1:04 pm

Incompatible globals? Care to elaborate?
#noobcodex
Dachshund
Level 1

Postby Dachshund » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 3:54 pm

ordus is really banned?

anything else considered '' banned''?
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:17 pm

If you are going to make OM like SM then don't bother.
Why have 2 races be completely the same?
Make GK's a skin for SM's then.

OM needs to be different. The correct way isn't found just yet.
I would much rather have a working UI though than keep GK's.

Dachshund wrote:ordus is really banned?

anything else considered '' banned''?
They are banned for the league that is going on.
Nothing else is banned.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:36 pm

I don't want to dive too hard into the logic of banning something because it is thought to be weak. But to directly answer the question yes, as far as I know OM is banned in the League (not that anyone was playing them but still).

You can still play them in your regular games just fine.

Return to “Community General Discussion”