Rate the new units !

Generic non-balance topics.
Torpid

Re: Rate the new units !

Postby Torpid » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 6:04 pm

fv100 wrote:A few months ago I backed my Baneblade out of an engagement with 4 hp and a squad of fucking spore mines chased it down and killed it with a detonation.

Spore mines = AV

Spore mines have killed a manticore of mine before, they're sneaky little ********.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 6:14 pm

I killed a whirlwind that had 200 hp with 2 AK storm trooper grenades

frag grenades=AV
Codex

Postby Codex » Fri 12 Jul, 2013 6:16 pm

Alright guys, that's enough. You've made the point, let's now try to stick to the discussion.
Righteousness does not make right
Wurgl
Level 1

Postby Wurgl » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:48 pm

I dont really have any experience with most of the new units, so i wont arrogate the right to have an opinion on most of em.

however, i disagree with adding dark reapers so much its not even funny.

here's why:

- eldar already has the arguably best t2 ranged unit in the game in form of guardians. add warpspiders to that and you have all the ranged armory a race should be entitled to. not even mentioning plasma shields

- eldar does not need plasma damage. what does plasma damage counter? heavy infantry? banshees, shuriken and rangers counter that. basically all t2 units counter it. and seers council has been added for everyone (i dont think council is ever worth getting over another t3 unit but its a potential counter)

SHI? we can break that down to two units basically: ogryns and termis.

ogryns on their own are not a problem, since the same counters apply to them (yes, especially shees) the problem with eldar vs ig was never the ogryns alone it was the route of sents - chim - gryns which demanded three different counters and all three were pretty shit vs the other two. ofc, this opinion is based on retail, having played the mu a lot there on ladder in customs in tourneys as ig and as eldar. but if anything, sent stomp removal and guardian cost reduction should have helped eldar in that matchup.

leaves us with termis. most t3 units cant and should not be countered by t2 units unless they are not supported at all. a t3 tank with full army support will roll you equally as much as termis, probably harder. the fact that some t3s can be countered by spamming t2 (e.g. nobs and supression) is not how t3 should work imo. the fact that sm just outpaces eldar from a certain point in the game when all the sm shit gets levels and becomes unkillable is not a termi specific problem. its just how the mu works and thats pretty okay as it is.

last but not least, dark reapers are not pretty. the models dont hold up to the retail ones imo and their firing sound are fucking looped ranger shots. (im not trying to offend anyone with this, judging by whats availible they are nicely made, but imo they just dont hold up)

tl;dr remove plz

thx 4 reading
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 1:01 pm

Wurgl wrote:I dont really have any experience with most of the new units, so i wont arrogate the right to have an opinion on most of em.

however, i disagree with adding dark reapers so much its not even funny.

here's why:

- eldar already has the arguably best t2 ranged unit in the game in form of guardians. add warpspiders to that and you have all the ranged armory a race should be entitled to. not even mentioning plasma shields.

- eldar does not need plasma damage. what does plasma damage counter? heavy infantry? banshees, shuriken and rangers counter that. basically all t2 units counter it. and seers council has been added for everyone (i dont think council is ever worth getting over another t3 unit but its a potential counter).

SHI? we can break that down to two units basically: ogryns and termis.

ogryns on their own are not a problem, since the same counters apply to them (yes, especially shees) the problem with eldar vs ig was never the ogryns alone it was the route of sents - chim - gryns which demanded three different counters and all three were pretty shit vs the other two. ofc, this opinion is based on retail, having played the mu a lot there on ladder in customs in tourneys as ig and as eldar. but if anything, sent stomp removal and guardian cost reduction should have helped eldar in that matchup.

leaves us with termis. most t3 units cant and should not be countered by t2 units unless they are not supported at all. a t3 tank with full army support will roll you equally as much as termis, probably harder. the fact that some t3s can be countered by spamming t2 (e.g. nobs and supression) is not how t3 should work imo. the fact that sm just outpaces eldar from a certain point in the game when all the sm shit gets levels and becomes unkillable is not a termi specific problem. its just how the mu works and thats pretty okay as it is.

last but not least, dark reapers are not pretty. the models dont hold up to the retail ones imo and their firing sound are fucking looped ranger shots. (im not trying to offend anyone with this, judging by whats availible they are nicely made, but imo they just dont hold up)

tl;dr remove plz

thx 4 reading

I completely agree with you. Dark reapers serve no purpose at all except to act as a safety net for eldar against sm/chaos (whoa, chaos can rush t3 now)/ IG tech rushes.

It's unwarranted, eldar perform fine in all of these MUs, they have the tools to never bleed, yet wipe armies, they can control the map with their mobility and choose when to engage. IF they somehow lose the tech race then should be punished severely by it. Ogryns aren't GG anymore for eldar, most heroes have great counters to them, farseer can get gravity blade, warlock kurnous + warp throw, WSE entangling web + WG. Wraithguard are a no-brainer vs IG anyway, you can throw ogryns into their attack ground, go double SCP in t1, pop your shuris behind shields and cap with your hero/one DA, it's no longer an impossible MU because without that stomp IG cannot apply half as much pressure map control wise and paying for that stomp delays their tech significantly, and you end up having that SCP out far sooner than they can grab a spotter.

Council can work though, like against chaos with double TCSM + assault cannon termies, I would rather not get a avatar or a prism but the infantry armour of the council supported by distort field/warp throw/swift movement can rip stuff up, then add on doom+stones, ahhh they are one tough unit.

Overall though additions such as dark reapers have made SHI overall useless. Nobody gets loyalist termies these days and with good reason, they just don't cut it, they die way too quick.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
EBA
Level 1

Postby EBA » Thu 25 Jul, 2013 7:49 am

That Torpid Gamer wrote:
Kvek wrote:
Asmon wrote:I have killed 3 bloodcrushers with pdev 2 days ago :)

wow ur so pro

I kill bloodthirsters with my lasgun on a bi-daily basis. You don't hear me bragging.

There are no bloodthirsters in this game! Lier!

I wish I could say stuff about anything else, but honestly I barely seperate out in my head what is from what source. All the models look good to my uneducated opinion though.

Return to “Community General Discussion”