Re: Who/what destroyed Dawn of War II ?

Postby Nurland » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 4:16 pm

Relic
#noobcodex
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 4:41 pm

Not sure if dead game or just shitty community...
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 6:01 pm

Relic's CEO for not choosing a good staff.
Relic's staff was perfect back in the day.
Nurland's respond is the best here!
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
lomors
Level 2

Postby lomors » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:05 pm

I miss poping into aminion in 1v1 search match. :< It must have been so many years ago...
TE | NoSkill
Level 3

Postby TE | NoSkill » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:20 pm

The death of THQ aswell as Relics poor after launch support and buggy releases.

Yet we still are able to catch glimpses of what might have become, just like in 40k;

shattered by ambition and blindness and thrown into darkness, yet it´s the best we currently have ( mainly because of elite mod)
Last edited by TE | NoSkill on Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Mon 30 Jul, 2018 7:20 pm

egewithin wrote:Not sure if dead game or just shitty community...

Can't be shitty if there's no community
Dullahan
Level 2

Postby Dullahan » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:02 pm

The RTS genre is dead.

Starcraft II killed it.

Every single game released since Starcraft II has had a lackluster multiplayer playerbase. Dawn of War II Retribution included. (Something like 10% of people played 10 ranked games lol)

No one wants to learn how to play RTS anymore.
Dachshund
Level 1

Postby Dachshund » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:04 pm

lol

is the situation that bad?
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:36 pm

It's almost 10 years old already for crying out loud, what did you expect?
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Telos
Level 2

Postby Telos » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 4:49 pm

Oh man! The custom games go off the page! Those were the days... I even remember when you had to close and reopen slots so your game would go to the top of the queue... I think that was this game
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:33 pm

I miss 2009-2010 when you would hit the ranked match button and be placed in a match in under 5 seconds.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 9:46 pm

Dullahan wrote:The RTS genre is dead.

Starcraft II killed it.

Every single game released since Starcraft II has had a lackluster multiplayer playerbase. Dawn of War II Retribution included. (Something like 10% of people played 10 ranked games lol)

DoW 3 launch has proven that to be wrong. There were 25k consecutive players at launch, which is really good for an RTS. The game just ended up being bad. If they can make a Retribution type of campaign so people can play what they like, better controls that are changeable and a multiplayer that people actually like I think DoW 3 would have had a large playerbase.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:12 pm

i certainly would have converted if dow3 wasn't crap. Thankfully, relic released an open beta that made me realize how awful it was going to be before buying

And seriously, any game still around after 10 years is pretty darn impressive
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Dullahan
Level 2

Postby Dullahan » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:48 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:

Starcraft II killed it.

DoW 3 launch has proven that to be wrong. There were 25k consecutive players at launch, which is really good for an RTS. The game just ended up being bad. If they can make a Retribution type of campaign so people can play what they like, better controls that are changeable and a multiplayer that people actually like I think DoW 3 would have had a large playerbase.

The list of failed RTS games in recent years is getting quite long. I can only endure so many games with 2-3 digit playercounts. Most recently Ancestor's Legacy and Empires Apart just bombed. Even Zero-K, which is free2play, has a couple hundred players. Older games like C&C3 manage better player numbers. (And by the time C&C3 was added to Steam, it was pretty old)

Things like Euro truck simulator, Pillars of Eternity, Cities skylines or Stellaris are doing double the numbers. Those are some particularly well known games but they're also very niche genres. Coh2 or DoW3 are sequels to some of the most beloved and popular and well reviewed games in the genre and they can't beat Farming Simulator 2017.

The genre is dead as fuck, save for SC2 which somehow manages 400k players on the 1v1 ladder right now.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:00 pm

Dullahan wrote:
Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:

Starcraft II killed it.

The list of failed RTS games in recent years is getting quite long. I can only endure so many games with 2-3 digit playercounts. Most recently Ancestor's Legacy and Empires Apart just bombed. Even Zero-K, which is free2play, has a couple hundred players. Older games like C&C3 manage better player numbers. (And by the time C&C3 was added to Steam, it was pretty old)

Things like Euro truck simulator, Pillars of Eternity, Cities skylines or Stellaris are doing double the numbers. Those are some particularly well known games but they're also very niche genres. Coh2 or DoW3 are sequels to some of the most beloved and popular and well reviewed games in the genre and they can't beat Farming Simulator 2017.

The genre is dead as fuck, save for SC2 which somehow manages 400k players on the 1v1 ladder right now.

Casual games have always been more popular than hard to play multiplayer games. The only popular multiplayer games are heavily marketed esports.
Dullahan
Level 2

Postby Dullahan » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:19 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:*snip*

Casual games have always been more popular than hard to play multiplayer games. The only popular multiplayer games are heavily marketed esports.

I used to think a high skill floor was the reason for RTS being an unpopular genre but then MOBA's became the most popular thing on the planet. Fighting games are also infinitely more popular on consoles than PC, despite the very high execution barrier.

eSports grows from the player base, not the other way around. Every single esports game is there because it's popular (which is why shit like Call of Duty or Fortnite are "esports" now) not just because they threw money at promoting it.

My current theory is that RTS is dead because it requires you to split your attention too much.
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Fri 10 Aug, 2018 12:55 pm

Oddnerd wrote:I miss 2009-2010 when you would hit the ranked match button and be placed in a match in under 5 seconds.

so true

Return to “Community General Discussion”