Would you be interested in a competitive 3v3 tournament? Let's talk about it.

Generic non-balance topics.
Torpid

Would you be interested in a competitive 3v3 tournament? Let's talk about it.

Postby Torpid » Fri 18 May, 2018 11:40 am

Obligatory greetings aside today I feel a desire to talk about something we have been sorely missing in our community at dow2 for a long time - competitive 3v3! I remember a time many years ago when I'd play retail ranked with preset teams, we'd take it mad serious, often getting on voice chat, abusing the fact that the lanes are fixed in retail ranked and swap up our positions so that eldar would always be mid, nids never were on the side with garrisons etc. It was mad fun. Especially when you got that badass team you had been hunting for ages because then the stakes were huge. Nobody wanted to lose their elo!

I want to bring more competitiveness to 3v3 again. 3v3 is the most popular game mode in dow2 at present and therefore it should be represented as well in the tournament format. However, 3v3 requires by far the most amount of players to host as a tournament which I think is the primary reason such tournaments have been thus far avoided.

I'm actually contemplating several ideas of styles of 3v3 tournaments that we could do. Whether we do entirely open skil level ones. Ones with only preset teams. Ones without any preset teams (which could be very interesting, even quite salt inducing mwahaha), low-level ones. Tournaments with fixed starting positions. Very varied map pools. Double elimination formats. The specifics of how the tournament would work are not too important so much as gauging whether people in the community are interested in a competitive format for 3v3 or if they'd be more inclinded to play 1v1 competitively, and just use 3v3 for casual use.

The worry is of course even our 1v1 tournaments at present can struggle to attract enough players, so how on Earth will we get a smoothly running 3v3 tournament going? But we need more participation from players that are not in the top 10% of skill. Which tournament hosts can accomodate by personally seeding players so as to bring about the best games. Or of course, just having skill brackets for the tournaments.

So without forcing anyone to commit to anything as of yet, just to gauge interest, if you would likely play in some sort of 3v3 tourny format, post below. But also post what type of format you'd prefer. Is it a fixed lane one? Preset teams only? Low level only? What do you want? And feel free to talk about 3v3 in general; is it competitiveness enough right now, are the maps good, what needs work? Do you like it; why? Why not?

Let's keep this game thriving.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Swift

Re: Would you be interested in a competitive 3v3 tournament? Let's talk about it.

Postby Swift » Fri 18 May, 2018 12:27 pm

You know my thoughts already.

*insert ok hand emoji*
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Thibix Magnus
Level 2

Re: Would you be interested in a competitive 3v3 tournament? Let's talk about it.

Postby Thibix Magnus » Fri 18 May, 2018 1:12 pm

I've never managed to organize my time for a tournament yet I really support the idea, hoping to participate some day. Fixed teams would be something new, though harder to organize. It's always been a paradox that the "legitimate" mode is 1v1 but the massively played one is casual 3v3, so maybe somehow competitive 3v3 can reduce that gap.

But serious 3v3 with trained teams is so rare, some new devastating combos could appear, leading to a lot of balance rage :)
Nurland

Re: RE: Re: Would you be interested in a competitive 3v3 tournament? Let's talk about it.

Postby Nurland » Fri 18 May, 2018 1:15 pm

Swift wrote:You know my thoughts already.

*insert ok hand emoji*
*inserts a finger through the ok hand*

I wouldn't mind doing fixed team tournaments
#noobcodex
Lupus
Level 0

Postby Lupus » Fri 18 May, 2018 1:22 pm

Not a bad idea at all, but as you said we don't have so many players playing elite at the moment, if this was vanilla it would've been easier.

I personally hope this project will work.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Fri 18 May, 2018 1:38 pm

Lupus wrote:Not a bad idea at all, but as you said we don't have so many players playing elite at the moment, if this was vanilla it would've been easier.

I personally hope this project will work.

Competitive> retail

Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Reg9678
Level 1

Postby Reg9678 » Fri 18 May, 2018 1:49 pm

It could work however I don't know how "competitive" a 3v3 tournament can get. Because 3v3 opens the door for some kinda creative cheese/spam-tactics and in general it's not really even in terms of balance. So I would rather say it would be just for fun, a little bit like the faction wars.
HansMoleman
Contributor

Postby HansMoleman » Fri 18 May, 2018 2:21 pm

Ill join tourney's if I'm not too busy with IRL stuff. Usually I get bad timing and I'm occupied but I'll put myself on the list of 1s,2s,and 3s Tournaments.
Shroom
Level 2

Postby Shroom » Fri 18 May, 2018 8:57 pm

some things a 3v3 tourney would need, imo.

-depending on the number of participants teams will need to be hand picked by the organizers, rather than preselected by the players themselves. If nurland/freeman/riku or w/e are matched up vs 3 randoms not on voice chat, with 400 hours each then those games will not be fun to play for either team, and they will definitely not be fun to watch.
-pre selected heros, no randoms. Random hero doesn't mesh well with "competitive" imo: "shit MU", "damn this map is bad for x race" etc.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 19 May, 2018 12:29 am

My first thought was to call competitive 3v3 an oxymoron, but if there's interest then I'm all for it. I'd be up for it.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sat 19 May, 2018 2:01 am

Good luck finding players to play on random teams @Shroom.

I would only participate with fixed teams.
I do not want to waste a ton of time with randoms, as these things tend to do and are only going to take longer if it's a 3v3.
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Sun 27 May, 2018 11:32 pm

Fixed map positions and I'd play. I pretty much only have the brainpower/attention for 3v3 these days.

I'd be 100% in favor of organizer balanced teams.
The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Wed 30 May, 2018 2:39 pm

I would be up for it, i always wanted a 3v3 premade vs premade.
Lazy_
Level 1

Postby Lazy_ » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 3:16 am

I would love for 3v3 tourneys in general. low levels or even high skill ones are ok with me because it'll attract even more players all around. fixed lane is fine with me too. my only suggestion is to definitely have a WAY bigger map pool to choose from because so many people on elite mod are pretty choosy on maps or just wont play them at all.
TE | NoSkill
Level 3

Postby TE | NoSkill » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 12:48 am

Well, why not; Allows new ppl to meet, when sorting their strategy out.
Red Beard B|
Level 1

Postby Red Beard B| » Sat 28 Jul, 2018 10:33 am

I'd participate, preferably with fixed teams though. Don't mind the fixed/random positions thing.

Return to “Community General Discussion”