Lord General range behaviour

Generic non-balance topics.
SarDauk
Level 2

Lord General range behaviour

Postby SarDauk » Thu 17 May, 2018 6:48 pm

When you have retinue members (like medic and commissar) with the LG and you ask him to attack at range a target, he always run close enough to the target to allow everyone in his squad to open fire, even the guys with laspistol. It's very annoying especially with grenade launcher and sniper, so is there a way to avoid it ? If not can this be fixed ?
"Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword!"
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Re: Lord General range behaviour

Postby Ace of Swords » Thu 17 May, 2018 10:43 pm

It's normal behavior for all units that have different maximum range on their weapons within the same unit, can't do anything about it beside using attack move which most of the time will allow the various units to fire from their max range, meaning the sergeant will still run towards to target but the LG will keep his max range to fire his wep.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:00 pm

As above,

A workaround is to just normalise the range values of those pistol type weapons on the retinue members to be equal to the LG's bolter.

But that would in reality be a large dps buff. But you could couple a range increase with a dps reduction.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
SarDauk
Level 2

Postby SarDauk » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:15 pm

Torpid wrote:As above,

A workaround is to just normalise the range values of those pistol type weapons on the retinue members to be equal to the LG's bolter.

But that would in reality be a large dps buff. But you could couple a range increase with a dps reduction.

Can we expect to see this change in the future ?
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:18 pm

There are two ranged behaviours. One is to have each model move to shoot at their max range and the other is to only have the units already in range when you give the order to fire with the others firing only if you move them to range. Sounds like the Lord General is using the first behaviour and the second would be better for him.

Space Marine Scouts would be an example of the second behaviour if you wanted to see what it's like.
SarDauk
Level 2

Postby SarDauk » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:31 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:There are two ranged behaviours. One is to have each model move to shoot at their max range and the other is to only have the units already in range when you give the order to fire with the others firing only if you move them to range. Sounds like the Lord General is using the first behaviour and the second would be better for him.

Space Marine Scouts would be an example of the second behaviour if you wanted to see what it's like.

There is no way to manually switch between each ingame ? Like fire stance in Soulstorm ?
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:42 pm

SarDauk wrote:
Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:There are two ranged behaviours. One is to have each model move to shoot at their max range and the other is to only have the units already in range when you give the order to fire with the others firing only if you move them to range. Sounds like the Lord General is using the first behaviour and the second would be better for him.

There is no way to manually switch between each ingame ? Like fire stance in Soulstorm ?

Nope. Has to be patched in.
SarDauk
Level 2

Postby SarDauk » Thu 17 May, 2018 11:54 pm

So you guys do you think it would be a good thing ?
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Fri 18 May, 2018 12:12 am

Torpid wrote:As above,

Or increase their cost to compensate the Dps increase would be an option but...

The Medical Serg would not need a large cost increase (maybe not even and cost increase) since the dps increase would be 3.

The Commissar is a different story though. He would need a damage reduction if his range increased instead of a cost increase imo but it could be argued that only a power increase of 5 to gain the 15.64 dps at 38 range would be fair.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
SarDauk
Level 2

Postby SarDauk » Fri 18 May, 2018 1:05 am

Btw the best change would be, I think the change of stance, Paranoid Kamikaze was speaking of, since when you have the sniper, only the LG have it while with the grenade launcher, the 2 ST get it as well.

Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Fri 18 May, 2018 1:28 am

Well i am pretty sure all units share the same squad_plan for range attacks. The squad_plan involves every entity to get into range. Setup ignore this because the they have a different squad plan which is why they are somewhat unreliable unless they are manually set up. The squad plan for the set ups is crap and the only thing it offers is making sure units that are not in range stay put in not move forward to get into range.

I believe the reason why scout shotgun perform differently is due their commands. When you attack a target the squad moves closer to that target to get all entities in range and when their target gets out of range the squad will continue to follow it to stay in range. The only way to ignore this is when a unit is already being targeted after a command. Such as shotgun blast. Most of the time when you use shotgun blast on a unit the scout squad continues to attack that target, but wont follow it after it leave max range until you command the squad to attack that target again.

Only tanks don't have squad_plans. They have no idle_retaliation plan nor a basic_range_plan. Which could be a reason as to why sometimes tanks were unreliable in some cases, but i could be wrong.

So essentially a new squad plan specifically geared toward the LG to make sure his units don't move if out of range would have to come up or a single target ability would have to be around for the LG to get a similar outcome which is odd and doesn't fit the hero at all.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54

Return to “Community General Discussion”