Generic non-balance topics.
Hericide
Level 0

Postby Hericide » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 11:02 pm

Hey, I'm new here, and I have a couple of questions.
1. Do the community is still active? I see that there are tournaments every once in a while, and elite mod is being updated, but most groups (f.e. the "Nubclub" one on steam) are very much inactive.
2. The DLC's well do i need them in terms of abilities and such or they are available in MP? I exclude the cosmetic changes ofc.
3. Is there a discord or only a TS sever?
4. Should I play campaign to get a hang of things?

I'm really sorry if some (I'm sure of it) questions were asked before and if something is unreadable, English isn't my native language.

I played A LOT of DoW 1 SS in my primetime and thanks to Indrid I became interested in DoW II, because the community seems to be more friendly and more active than DoW 1.

Thanks and sorry in advance!
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Re: Newbie

Postby Ace of Swords » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 11:52 pm

Hericide wrote:Hey, I'm new here, and I have a couple of questions.
1. Do the community is still active? I see that there are tournaments every once in a while, and elite mod is being updated, but most groups (f.e. the "Nubclub" one on steam) are very much inactive.

Somewhat, there's few people playing today but still enough low/medium level ones around.

2. The DLC's well do i need them in terms of abilities and such or they are available in MP? I exclude the cosmetic changes ofc.

No, DLCs are only cosmetics and the last stand items, they don't impact the multiplayer pvp performance.

There used to be an official TS server but not anymore, there are several discord groups but none of them are official.

Eh not really, the campaign gives the basics of retreat but nothing else that's relevant in a pvp setting.
Hericide
Level 0

Postby Hericide » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 11:59 pm

Ace of Swords wrote:Somewhat, there's few people playing today but still enough low/medium level ones around.

Not gonna lie, thought that the pretty loud death of DoW III will encourage old & those few new people who enjoyed it back into DoW II, DoW I community did increase a bit.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 12:08 am

Hericide wrote:
Ace of Swords wrote:Somewhat, there's few people playing today but still enough low/medium level ones around.

Not gonna lie, thought that the pretty loud death of DoW III will encourage old & those few new people who enjoyed it back into DoW II, DoW I community did increase a bit.

True but the problem is that DoW2 has a quite split community, some only play TLS, some play retail and some play Elite, still there are enough people to get into matches, I guess I forgot to mention, don't use the ranked search, nobody uses it anymore, just host/join public lobbies.
Carpo
Level 0

Postby Carpo » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 2:02 am

Welcome to Elite Mod battle brother! (*^_^*)ゞ
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 3:00 am

Welcome to Elite Mod brother!

I think I'll sit down and make an "official" DoWII Elite server at some point. We have like 5 now and it's pretty annoying to scroll through :/
Galrauch
Level 0

Postby Galrauch » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 5:37 am

Atlas wrote:Welcome to Elite Mod brother!

I think I'll sit down and make an "official" DoWII Elite server at some point. We have like 5 now and it's pretty annoying to scroll through :/

Yeah I believe a joint discord server would be pretty useful.
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 5:52 am

Ace of Swords wrote:don't use the ranked search, nobody uses it anymore, just host/join public lobbies.

it still could be used? and it finds opponent if there are players who search it? I thought it's someway disabled for the mods.
Hericide
Level 0

Postby Hericide » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 12:16 pm

Hello!

I really think that "official" DoW Elite mod discord/ts server would at least bring together the remaining people, if not bring the new ones that are a bit discouraged by them getting shit on in MP or the lack of players in general.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 1:04 pm

LOCALgHOST wrote:
Ace of Swords wrote:don't use the ranked search, nobody uses it anymore, just host/join public lobbies.

it still could be used? and it finds opponent if there are players who search it? I thought it's someway disabled for the mods.

Yes it works in the elite mod, it was enabled about 1-2 years ago when myrdal found a fix.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 1:46 pm

In case you are serious about this (I have suggested that as well on our Discord server) I have some interesting ideas for functionality as I have read into the API shit Discord makes available and you can do some pretty interesting stuff. I will try to see how much time Myrdal has for me because I don't want to mess up his server but integration of the Ladder standings and recent high-elo replays etc should be a possibility. I think even latest Youtube casts should be possible.

Hit me up if you want to talk about it more.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 16 Apr, 2018 1:13 am

Adeptus Noobus wrote:Hit me up if you want to talk about it more.

Brother you are hit!
Thibix Magnus
Level 2

Postby Thibix Magnus » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 11:56 am

Hericide wrote:Hey, I'm new here, and I have a couple of questions.

I'm really sorry if some (I'm sure of it) questions were asked before and if something is unreadable, English isn't my native language.

I played A LOT of DoW 1 SS in my primetime and thanks to Indrid I became interested in DoW II, because the community seems to be more friendly and more active than DoW 1.

Thanks and sorry in advance!

Besides servers, don't join random team games now though, only newbies games or random 1v1 to get stomped and have fun and make friends.

Most people on Elite are nice but a few very active idiots will have very discouraging behaviours with newbies in their team, even when the lobby didn't specify the level and no attempt was made to balance teams. They function as a creeping social dead zone, a warp storm that surrounds a very friendly but isolated core and actively keeps new blood away, hoping the core will slowly lose gene pool quality by endogamy until the surrounding storm becomes that core 8-)

(but it's easy to avoid please please stay)
Reineke
Level 1

Postby Reineke » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 4:56 pm

The most newbie friendly discord channel is this one
You can find games most of the time (more like after school/work hours). The best is to find some nice people there and then add them to your steam.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Thu 19 Apr, 2018 9:53 pm

Reineke wrote:You can find games most of the time (more like after school/work hours).
That depends on your time zone though :p
DoW2 is most active at EU evening - night time.

Return to “Community General Discussion”