New player, Imperial Guard

Generic non-balance topics.
Death_Kitty
Level 0

New player, Imperial Guard

Postby Death_Kitty » Sat 03 Mar, 2018 3:24 pm

Hello Elite mod community, thought I'd introduce myself.

I looked at elite mod on streams of certain youtubers, and when DoW went on sale, I bought it and got the mod. After playing around with it, I really ended up liking the imperial guard (and eldar as well) and I was wondering if any of you could point me to some guides/give me some tips/build orders/ uses for/when to build their units.

I am experienced with games like CoH2, SC, AoE, RA, so I'm not new to rts, but I am new to DoW. Thanks in advance for any assistance you provide me with.
Psycho
Level 3

Re: New player, Imperial Guard

Postby Psycho » Sat 03 Mar, 2018 3:41 pm

What gamemode are you planning on playing mainly? 1v1, 2v2, or 3v3?
Death_Kitty
Level 0

Postby Death_Kitty » Sat 03 Mar, 2018 4:16 pm

Mostly team games, so 2v2 and 3v3 (more twords 3v3), lol probably should have said that.
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Sat 03 Mar, 2018 4:33 pm

The sentinel will be the absolute core of your opening engagements. You can use it to slowly peel health or even models off an opponent that likes to hunker down before he can get enough firepower to kill it past your GM repair support. Since code-wise it's only one single gun, all that damage gets focused on one model most of the time contrary to your GMs which even though have more dps with serg, the damage spreads out quite a bit. It's also a kiting beast with how it can shoot while moving backwards. It sounds good on paper but in practice it's a living hell to control to its full potential due to the game engine's pathfinding hating you with a passion, so controling the sentinel and having it do what you want it to do is a skill of its own that should be your priority to learn. Your sentinell WILL get stuck between your repairing GMs and die quite a few times. Memorizing the hotkeys of your GMs and your sentinel, along with rapidly switching from your GMs to relocate and repair to your sentinel will benefit you massively, along with learning shenanigans of the engine like repairing within range while the GMs move, which makes the squad itself move while one model sticks to the sentinel to repair it, diminishing the chances of pathfinding shenanigans.

From there your choices for a T1.5 unit depend on so many factors I can't really give a rule of thumb on what to choose unless a specific situation is given. HWTs are a good setup team that has a tendency to die a lot because the die-last model takes its merry time getting up should it get knocked down. Catas are a great utility unit with shotgun blast, ol unreliable for disruption and retreat-killing, detection, and power melee, but still have health on par with GMs making them prone to bleeding. Spotters are your go-to disruption unit and setup team counter. Even in T2 you can get away with little AV due to the sentinel's upgrade to AV missile, unless you end up facing something like a dreadnought. The units can fulfill various purposes that gives freedom to the player on what to choose, which means a skilled player can get anything depending on how much he thinks he's gonna get away with it, like how catas can also be used to disrupt setup teams when spotters do that exceptionally well already, due to the player thinking he can also get catas to do something spotters wont be able to in order to get just one single T1.5 unit out.

This isn't even touching upon the subject of the various heroes and how they affect the matchup. All I can suggest is observing games where there's an IG player and focusing on him and his opponent. You can learn by playing, but since you're bound to get into a 2v1 situation, you might get your army wiped without learning much other than how to smash your retreat key, and with observing you can also see what the opponent in question is doing to respond to the IG's playstyle, and how the IG would respond.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sat 03 Mar, 2018 6:54 pm

Small tips for you.

- Sentinal is made to protect Guardsmen. It is a damage sponge if it is repaired, and a melee counter with its upgrade to protect Guardsmen.

- Catachans are a general anti-everything unit. Only situation you should get Spotters insted of Cats is that your enemy has too much ranged fire power. Like 3 Shootaz or many set-up teams.

- Catachans can be used in melee combat to counter ranged units, they have power melee, for unknowen reasons.

- Inspire Courage on Catachans doubles the damage of their Ol' Unreliable. Very scary damage if it is used for a unit that is insade of a building.

- Guardsmen may seem weak at start, but they will snow ball with their upgrades and your hero buffs.

- Ogryns are fun to use, but not a melee brawler. They are a shock unit like Mark of Khorne CSM, or Assault Marines. Ideal to take down walkers without melee ressistance like ranged dreads. Never let them fight alone and always give a massive fire support from behind.

- Kasrikin should only be purchased for their grenade launchers, and nothing more.

- Leman Russ is a true and simple tank. Get Executioner if there aren't any lascannon type things, and you really need to smash armored units. Amazing anti infantry option, but has a range problem. Get Vanquisher to conter any tank in game, with insane range and damage.

- Get medi sergant for Lord General almost every match up, at least makes him tanky. He is very good at tying ranged units.

- Never, ever use Inspire Courage before a match up that you may loose. It is not a game changer.
PianoMan
Level 3

Postby PianoMan » Sat 03 Mar, 2018 7:20 pm

watch someone good on yt play ig, just look up don freeman or wtf his name is and please dont listen to these 2
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sun 04 Mar, 2018 3:36 pm

Don't know if you've already found him, but Indrid is the most well-known game caster for Elite mod. Look up games where people are plying IG - Freeman, Torpid, Noisy, Slaaneshi Cacophony, Ace of Swords are all names to look for as IG players.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sun 04 Mar, 2018 5:38 pm

Oddnerd wrote:Don't know if you've already found him, but Indrid is the most well-known game caster for Elite mod. Look up games where people are plying IG - Freeman, Torpid, Noisy, Slaaneshi Cacophony, Ace of Swords are all names to look for as IG players.

Not me, ask freeman/torpid/noisy.
Death_Kitty
Level 0

Postby Death_Kitty » Sun 04 Mar, 2018 10:43 pm

Oddnerd wrote:Don't know if you've already found him, but Indrid is the most well-known game caster for Elite mod. Look up games where people are plying IG - Freeman, Torpid, Noisy, Slaaneshi Cacophony, Ace of Swords are all names to look for as IG players.

Yeah I know indrid! thats what drew me to the game. Thanks for some names though, nice to know who to look out for.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 7:16 am

If you can be patient for a little while longer: Adila is working on a How-To document for each race which is compromised of high-level players‘ input on how their respective main race has to be approached mechanic-wise and matchup-wise. Iirc it will also have a paragraph on each races hero. It will be made available soon.

Welcome to this community as well.
Death_Kitty
Level 0

Postby Death_Kitty » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 2:06 pm

Adeptus Noobus wrote:If you can be patient for a little while longer: Adila is working on a How-To document for each race which is compromised of high-level players‘ input on how their respective main race has to be approached mechanic-wise and matchup-wise. Iirc it will also have a paragraph on each races hero. It will be made available soon.

Ah! That would be most helpful! And thanks for the welcome.
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Tue 03 Apr, 2018 2:50 pm

Adeptus Noobus wrote:If you can be patient for a little while longer: Adila is working on a How-To document for each race which is compromised of high-level players‘ input on how their respective main race has to be approached mechanic-wise and matchup-wise. Iirc it will also have a paragraph on each races hero. It will be made available soon.

Can't wait for this!

Greets
Schepp himself

P.S.: Welcome to the game and community! :)
Greets schep himself thingy

Return to “Community General Discussion”