Elite Mod on Steam

Generic non-balance topics.
Impregnable
Level 4

Re: Elite Mod on Steam

Postby Impregnable » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 6:18 am

Let us calm down and get it done one by one. Someone who has contact with relic should ask. That person should post here the result and then we can deal with expenses, legal problems and technical problems.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
seedofpower
Level 1

Postby seedofpower » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 5:46 pm

Impregnable wrote:Let us calm down and get it done one by one. Someone who has contact with relic should ask. That person should post here the result and then we can deal with expenses, legal problems and technical problems.

Yes of course. Wanted to let y'all know those bases can be covered. Anyways, I message Kat on the DoW forums and tweeted the official DoW twitter about this. Now, just gonna wait for a response.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 6:06 pm

If u guys can pull this out that would be great
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 6:08 pm

Also would be nice if elite mod would become a patch for retribution (I doubt relic would accept it though)

but first things first gotta do this first, hope there is no legal issues for it
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Tue 19 Sep, 2017 6:10 pm

I guess you forgot what happen last time relic patch the game broke half the stuff. I don't like this at all involving them in anything is like shoot your self in the head.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
seedofpower
Level 1

Postby seedofpower » Wed 20 Sep, 2017 12:22 am

Okay, so I had a conversation with the person who runs the Dawn of War twitter account. They explained to me that it was licensing matter with Games Workshop, and they couldn't give the permission themselves. The next step I'm taking is talking to someone at Sega, and sending a letter to GW. I know a guy in games journalism, I'm gonna ask for a contact.

I feel I can make a case to both of them, its free content for a game that is required to be purchased by them. This is gonna take longer than I thought. :(

edit: a word.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Wed 20 Sep, 2017 10:15 am

seedofpower wrote:Okay, so I had a conversation with the person who runs the Dawn of War twitter account. They explained to me that it was licensing matter with Games Workshop, and they couldn't give the permission themselves. The next step I'm taking is talking to someone at Sega, and sending a letter to GW. I know a guy in games journalism, I'm gonna ask for a contact.

I feel I can make a case to both of them, its free content for a game that is required to be purchased by them. This is gonna take longer than I thought. :(

Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Fri 29 Sep, 2017 6:42 pm

any word or progress?
is anyone following this request atm?
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 3:39 pm

seedofpower wrote:Okay, so I had a conversation with the person who runs the Dawn of War twitter account. They explained to me that it was licensing matter with Games Workshop, and they couldn't give the permission themselves. The next step I'm taking is talking to someone at Sega, and sending a letter to GW. I know a guy in games journalism, I'm gonna ask for a contact.

We are eagerly waiting on his report on progress. Let us give him some time to sort it out.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 6:22 pm

Impregnable wrote: We are eagerly waiting on his report on progress. Let us give him some time to sort it out.

still nothing =(
it would be great to have it for the new year ofc
seedofpower
Level 1

Postby seedofpower » Fri 24 Nov, 2017 10:20 pm

Rostam313 wrote:
Impregnable wrote: We are eagerly waiting on his report on progress. Let us give him some time to sort it out.

still nothing =(
it would be great to have it for the new year ofc

My bad Y'all. I got busy with work and I haven't gotten around to a follow up. I'm on thanksgiving break, so now I have time to run down to the post office.

So I sent an email to their Licensing team but didn't get a word back and my only other option is to physically mail their legal department (for whatever reason they don't have an email posted). I just did that, so now its a waiting game. I'm gonna send another follow up letter if I don't hear anything in a couple of weeks. If I continue to be ghosted by GW I'm gonna mail a letter to Sega of america and Relic.

Sorry for the long wait, I'll try to post again end of the year during winter break.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 5:49 am

Thanks for the efforts my friend, really appreciated
The Emperor knows your name
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Sat 25 Nov, 2017 8:07 am

Thanks for your efforts again. This is a crucial thing to accomplish if it is possible. One of the constant complains about elite from new players was that it is a hassle to update this mod. If steam auto update is possible, it will be a lot better.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
seedofpower
Level 1

Postby seedofpower » Tue 19 Dec, 2017 11:25 pm

Alright another update.

Someone got back to me from GW. They pretty much said that they will not give permission but they also will not go after anyone as long as you follow their guidelines.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/In ... rty-Policy

I just wrote her back asking what qualified as a "professional distributor." It didn't make sense to me if we can use mod sites and not steam. Hopefully she will get back to me before the end of the year.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 3:10 am

It's pretty safe to say we're out of luck.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 3:21 am

seedofpower wrote:Alright another update.

Someone got back to me from GW. They pretty much said that they will not give permission but they also will not go after anyone as long as you follow their guidelines.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/In ... rty-Policy

I just wrote her back asking what qualified as a "professional distributor." It didn't make sense to me if we can use mod sites and not steam. Hopefully she will get back to me before the end of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zSxQnZ3TM8
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 4:40 pm

Good video ace
You can always form an appeal to GW if anything is goes wrong :V
I am sure GW is really open minded to criticism and doesnt care about the money at all :V
seedofpower
Level 1

Postby seedofpower » Wed 20 Dec, 2017 7:11 pm

Well, it's their license and we have to got through them if we like it or not. Better to ask and know, than try and get litigated. As of right now, them saying they don't give a shit as long as you don't make money, and defame us is the best we are going to get.

We also still have to contend with steam itself. I talked to someone who works at Deep Silver, and he mentions there is more than flipping a switch to get the mod on steam. I'm simply going to talk to the CoH modders and ask them how they did it. The modding section on steam seems to be dedicated to source games, and Valve wants to push for 3rd party games to use workshop support.
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 11:36 am

seedofpower wrote:Well, it's their license and we have to got through them if we like it or not. Better to ask and know, than try and get litigated. As of right now, them saying they don't give a shit as long as you don't make money, and defame us is the best we are going to get.

We also still have to contend with steam itself. I talked to someone who works at Deep Silver, and he mentions there is more than flipping a switch to get the mod on steam. I'm simply going to talk to the CoH modders and ask them how they did it. The modding section on steam seems to be dedicated to source games, and Valve wants to push for 3rd party games to use workshop support.

Any news regarding this campaign?
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 4:03 pm

By now i think everyone knows that "Relic" Doesnt give two shits about "Dow1,Dow2" and Dow Franchise in general; and they certainly don't give a shit about fans, hence they cant even do the simplest thing and support the least. That company is so full of shit, i hope they will be bankrupt soon and someone else get their IPs working.
I dont like WC and SC franchises due to their bad blood with 40k (long story), still great games though; but blizzard is way better than supporting his fans compared to this poor excuse of a company. They dont even apologize after fucking up one of the best RTS franchises in the history. Thats how arrogant they are
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 6:12 pm

Rostam wrote:By now i think everyone knows that "Relic" Doesnt give two shits about "Dow1,Dow2" and Dow Franchise in general; and they certainly don't give a shit about fans, hence they cant even do the simplest thing and support the least. That company is so full of shit, i hope they will be bankrupt soon and someone else get their IPs working.
I dont like WC and SC franchises due to their bad blood with 40k (long story), still great games though; but blizzard is way better than supporting his fans compared to this poor excuse of a company. They dont even apologize after fucking up one of the best RTS franchises in the history. Thats how arrogant they are

Relic is actually one of my favourite gaming studios. They always make great games for how they designed them to be. The problem for DoW 3 was that what they made wasn't what anyone wanted :p

https://community.dawnofwar.com/discuss ... ate#latest

They abandoned DoW 3 due to low sales, which is a good business decision rather than putting in tons of support and making a playerbase out of nothing, and they're working on two new games. Hopefully DoW 4 comes out in 4-6 years and is a game made for DoW fans this time.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 6:31 pm

I hope the Death of relic studio comes soon afterwards the death of Dow3, amen
They dont deserve to make Dow4, and i am pretty sure sega wont work with them in the future
they have done a great job on Dow1 and Dow2 with the previous staff (The time THQ was around) but the credit goes to RelicX not this Relic
but the current staff is just a bunch of undeserving,none-caring,teenagers who care about their hair color (Blue berry girl) than the actual product
Well at this point Relic (RIP) are packing their resume, i am sure of it. may dow3 rot in Nurgle's realm
Schepp himself
Level 3

Postby Schepp himself » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 8:01 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:Relic is actually one of my favourite gaming studios. They always make great games for how they designed them to be. The problem for DoW 3 was that what they made wasn't what anyone wanted :p

https://community.dawnofwar.com/discuss ... ate#latest

They abandoned DoW 3 due to low sales, which is a good business decision rather than putting in tons of support and making a playerbase out of nothing, and they're working on two new games. Hopefully DoW 4 comes out in 4-6 years and is a game made for DoW fans this time.

A few years ago I'd agree. Then came CoH2 and I lost faith due to clusterfucking Commanders (DLC-extravanganza!) and super lame campaign (compare this to super tight coh-commanders and awesome(x3) campaign. Seriously, the CoH capaign is the best designed single-player-campaign I've ever played.

So I'm with Rostam on that one even though I would stay away from his salty language. ;)

Greets
Schepp himself
Greets schep himself thingy
LOCALgHOST
Level 3

Postby LOCALgHOST » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 12:42 am

coh2 had terrible campaign. I never bought that shit.

Dow3 seemed to me a so-so singleplayer with normal story, but multiplayer mode is awful.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Fri 23 Feb, 2018 5:10 am

LOCALgHOST wrote:coh2 had terrible campaign. I never bought that shit.

Dow3 seemed to me a so-so singleplayer with normal story, but multiplayer mode is awful.

Single player was shit. DoW 2 had best single player in the franchise. An expanded DoW 2 campaign would be so much better than the bland linear one in DoW 3.

Multiplayer isn't that bad. I liked it more than any other game other than DoW 2. It does have some advantages such as being friendly to new players as it's easier to get into with a low APM and then there's a higher ceiling for the better players. The doctrine system also allows you to play the way you want as opposed to being stuck to a counter system. The negatives being that it's less tactical, there is too much prediction as opposed to skilled counterplay, and some Elites do too much damage though Elites were nerfed so it's a lot more tolerable than at release.
seedofpower
Level 1

Postby seedofpower » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 12:01 am

Impregnable wrote:
seedofpower wrote:Well, it's their license and we have to got through them if we like it or not. Better to ask and know, than try and get litigated. As of right now, them saying they don't give a shit as long as you don't make money, and defame us is the best we are going to get.

Nah, that was also a dead end. At this point I'm hoping that since Relic is doing contracting work, they would come back around and do HD versions of Dawn of war 1 and 2.
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 6:38 am

seedofpower wrote:
Impregnable wrote:

Nah, that was also a dead end. At this point I'm hoping that since Relic is doing contracting work, they would come back around and do HD versions of Dawn of war 1 and 2.

Depends on what happens on AOE4. Considering their treatment of DOW3, not many have any hope for relic.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"

Return to “Community General Discussion”