Tips/Advice for starting a new Mod?

Generic non-balance topics.
Private Hix
Level 1

Tips/Advice for starting a new Mod?

Postby Private Hix » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 9:50 pm

(If this post is in the wrong place, feel free to move it Mods :) )

Hello,

I am starting to create my own mod for DoW 2: Retribution introducing 1-2 new races. Any modders here have any tips and/or advice for someone starting out in modding for Dawn of War? I've done modding in a few games before so there are many things that are familiar, but a lot of other things that aren't haha.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Re: Tips/Advice for starting a new Mod?

Postby Oddnerd » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 11:22 pm

Do you have the models to add new races?
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 3:04 am

Oddnerd wrote:Do you have the models to add new races?

I've got just a few at the moment, I am mostly in the concept art stage for the rest right now. I am in college for 3D Animation and I have done work on a few other mods so I know the process from concept art --> rigged & animated character. I need practice in texturing, but not anything that won't come with some time and hard work.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 7:02 am

nice idea mate . may be u should talk to caeltos about it . asking the moderators in person is a good idea

and welcome to the community :)
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 7:32 am

Rostam313 wrote:nice idea mate . may be u should talk to caeltos about it . asking the moderators in person is a good idea

and welcome to the community :)

Ah thank you! Glad to be here :)

I was wondering who I could contact about modding stuff, thanks a lot! Anyone else that would be willing to help me if I run into any issues and I PM them?
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 10:06 am

I think if u get to know around these forums and steam community u can get lots of help and it is productive in general for every one and helps the community

below is the link to elite mod team members,Administrators and moderators (work on these forums and u11 get results and answers)
no harm in asking around :)

memberlist.php?mode=team

godspeed
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
ShowMeMagik
Level 2

Postby ShowMeMagik » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 8:44 pm

Sounds like a lot of work on a game that unfortunately isn't what it was. With DoW3 coming out are you going to get the player Base to make your mod popular?

Sorry to be negative but wouldn't want you to do all the work for a game that may not be played in 6-12 months.

Why not speak with the team about what you might be able to contribute to this mod. Get some experience before modding DoW3
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 9:40 pm

ShowMeMagik wrote:Sounds like a lot of work on a game that unfortunately isn't what it was. With DoW3 coming out are you going to get the player Base to make your mod popular?

Sorry to be negative but wouldn't want you to do all the work for a game that may not be played in 6-12 months.

Why not speak with the team about what you might be able to contribute to this mod. Get some experience before modding DoW3

actually I think your last sentence is a very good advice .
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 10 Jan, 2017 10:56 pm

@ShowMeMagik

I think he's doing it more to practise his skills to be able to employ that experience in a work environment.
He's not looking to make a popular mod. But probably likes 40K/DoW2 and decided that's where he starts practising.
Always goes better to work with something you like.
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 1:28 am

Dark Riku wrote:@ShowMeMagik

He's not looking to make a popular mod. But probably likes 40K/DoW2 and decided that's where he starts practising.

That's exactly what I'm doing. By the time my mod is finished who knows how many people will still be playing haha, but I just want to get my characters in-game so I can interact with them.

ShowMeMagik wrote:Sounds like a lot of work on a game that unfortunately isn't what it was. With DoW3 coming out are you going to get the player Base to make your mod popular?

I totally understand, but the main reason I'm doing this is for my own enjoyment. I have a large list of characters that I have created/planned and I'd like to be able to see them alive in some form. The brutality and animations in DoW: Ret just fits these characters so well, whereas I dont think they would fit/be worth my time in DoW 3. (A lot of that reason is that there are no sync-kills, as well as the general feel of the gameplay thus far)

On a side note, it would be amazing if anyone could help me out with this thread I posted in the Modding forum:
viewtopic.php?f=12&p=60763#p60763
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 4:28 am

Private Hix wrote:
Dark Riku wrote:@ShowMeMagik

That's exactly what I'm doing. By the time my mod is finished who knows how many people will still be playing haha, but I just want to get my characters in-game so I can interact with them.

I totally understand, but the main reason I'm doing this is for my own enjoyment. I have a large list of characters that I have created/planned and I'd like to be able to see them alive in some form. The brutality and animations in DoW: Ret just fits these characters so well, whereas I dont think they would fit/be worth my time in DoW 3. (A lot of that reason is that there are no sync-kills, as well as the general feel of the gameplay thus far)

On a side note, it would be amazing if anyone could help me out with this thread I posted in the Modding forum:
viewtopic.php?f=12&p=60763#p60763

Wow . now that is wat i call passion . a month ago i had some request from moderators to put my you tube cast's links into this announcement . i contacted moderators personally in steam and forums and it actually took me a while to achieve my goal . i strongly suggest u contact those guys individually and ask about ur problem . i will talk to some of them ; i will see if they can do something for u . but u do the same,specially caeltos (since i dont have him in steam) he pretty much built this mod
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Wed 11 Jan, 2017 8:00 am

Rostam313 wrote:Wow . now that is wat i call passion . a month ago i had some request from moderators to put my you tube cast's links into this announcement . i contacted moderators personally in steam and forums and it actually took me a while to achieve my goal . i strongly suggest u contact those guys individually and ask about ur problem . i will talk to some of them ; i will see if they can do something for u . but u do the same,specially caeltos (since i dont have him in steam) he pretty much built this mod

Thank you so much man! It's going to be a lot of work but I know it will be worth it.

I contacted a bunch of people, nice to get the ball rolling :) Thank you for all your help.
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Thu 26 Jan, 2017 11:57 pm

Here is a list of suggested exercises to learn the file structure. These involve coding rather than creating new models or animations but will teach how to get your stuff into the game.

1. Add an extra scout to the scout squad. Make sure you adjust the number of weapons for the base squad and also for shotgun upgrade

2. You are probably past this but change the helmet on the tac sarge for a new modded version

3. Add an entirely new squad. I suggest a single model squad like a chaos sub hero (I think Shuma' war room has a model you can use)
-- add abilities, you can copy other abilities but rename them so they are specific to your new squad. One each of a entity based ability and a squad based ability
-- add an upgrade
-- make the squad able to repair

4. Double pop cap, double pop threshold and double income from all sources
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Sat 28 Jan, 2017 6:53 am

If you want I could use some of your skill.

Would you be troubled if I requested you to making buildings with construction animations and when they are building something they have an animation when doing that as well??

Like a Chapel Barrack-ish type of building that when spawned its a box that automatically formed into the building and then have an animation i can reference when it's building something (like a suppression animation so we could easily find and reference the animation) so it would do a small construction thingy like a moving part and flashing lights when even its constructing.

And if you are curious about my mod to give a simple explanation is my vision of dow 3 before the trailers came out. Brings back a small amount of base building via forward base points, supply lines, SOME destructible terrain in the form or bridges, hazardous areas in the map and some area that are identifiable with fairly heavy smoke or lots of grass infiltrate your units. New points like stratagems that offer certain bonuses and abilities to the player when captured (of course those abilities cost red for more powerful versions), generators that power turrets that shoot at the enemy (but can be disabled by destroying a nearby generator (yea i know lack of models) or shooting the turret until it's low enough to keep it from shooting) and a tower that can disrupt enemy req income rate however it can be destroyed. Among other things but that's most of the things that are really big.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Private Hix
Level 1

Postby Private Hix » Mon 30 Jan, 2017 8:08 pm

Black Relic wrote:If you want I could use some of your skill.

Would you be troubled if I requested you to making buildings with construction animations and when they are building something they have an animation when doing that as well??

Like a Chapel Barrack-ish type of building that when spawned its a box that automatically formed into the building and then have an animation i can reference when it's building something (like a suppression animation so we could easily find and reference the animation) so it would do a small construction thingy like a moving part and flashing lights when even its constructing.

You meant this for me right? I could draw up some concept sketches, I'll need some more info though.

I'll PM you about the deets.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Mon 11 Dec, 2017 3:03 pm

Did u make any progress on your mod?
havent heard from u in a while
it has been about 10 month now ;)

Return to “Community General Discussion”