Sternguard and vanguard level fix??

Generic non-balance topics.
Black Relic
Level 4

Sternguard and vanguard level fix??

Postby Black Relic » Sun 08 Jan, 2017 10:36 am

As i was modding yesterday i think i came across a solution to the sternguard and the vanguard squads losing the levels of their lower tier counterpart.

There is a function called spawn_with_level_of_executor when you input an action to spawn in and entity or squad. Which is what happens for the squad in the first place.

If we turn the entity into a invisible squad, spawn it and allow it to level (so it spawns with the same level as the tactical or assault marine before it) and then enable the spawn_with_level_of_executor then that should fix the problem.

Was this tried out or did it cause a bug?
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Re: Sternguard and vanguard level fix??

Postby Ace of Swords » Sun 08 Jan, 2017 4:22 pm

Don't think it was ever a coding issue but rather a balance concern.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sun 08 Jan, 2017 5:51 pm

This would actually be kind of nice on Vanguards. Obviously, if we do that we should probably roll back the buffs they got then.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sun 08 Jan, 2017 6:01 pm

I don't see why SM players considering the stern/van upgrades should be discouraged because their tacs have gained at least 1 level, good job finding this fix.

However, if sterns/vans were buffed to compensate for the reversion to level 1, maybe some minor nerfs would be in order if this fix ends up being implemented.

EDIT - most high level players don't have much good to say about sterns/vans, so maybe the nerfs aren't all that necessary.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Sun 08 Jan, 2017 10:35 pm

I think melee skill is the main concern with vans, in addition to losing their melta. They'd definitely see more use with higher ms, one way or the other
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Asmon
Level 4

Postby Asmon » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 4:31 pm

Sternguards are still very relevant as the anti-infantry and cheap all-around alternative. If MS is the issue with vanguards, why not increase their MS by default?
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 7:22 pm

They always have been. But sadly it's the only reason for getting them in the first place. Both Squads would benefit from the health gained from levels. Rather than Vanguards starting at 500 HP at level 1 (which is great) At level 3 (if we are using the starting HP of Vanguard last patch being 450) at level 3 they have 544.5 HP and the melee skill of 73.

However atm Vanguards if they hit level 3 their HP pool goes from 500 to 605 and level 3.

If this was implemented their HP increase per level would have to go back to 5% instead of 10% (i think it was implemented in 2.3 but i couldn't find the patch notes).

This would be essentially a nerf to both squads imo in a long drawn out game. However their impact would be felt immediately rather than 5 minutes after getting the squad.

That being said there is a drawback from this change if it was implemented. This change would make squads that were just purchased ill suited to be changed into this variants. And may hinder their attractiveness. But imo i would rather have a level 3 Sternguard squad and a level 1 plasma tac over a level 3 plasma tacs and a level 1 sternguard due to their anti-all trait.

It all honestly depends on what people would rather have. Would you rather have something that impacts the game the moment you got them? Or would you rather have something start off as a nuisance but turn into something amazing? More Damage Less HP? Or Both but only have 5 to 6 minutes?

That's what the change would be effecting since the nerfs necessary would be their Hp gain per level and Vanguards going back to 450 HP.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54

Return to “Community General Discussion”