Kraken Bolts Question (and other questions that don't deserve their own thread)

Generic non-balance topics.
RIGHTLY
Level 0

Kraken Bolts Question (and other questions that don't deserve their own thread)

Postby RIGHTLY » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 6:50 am

Will Kraken Bolts do extra damage against Commanders that appear to be heavy infantry, such as the Force Commander or Chaos Lord?
Also may as well use this thread as a general "Questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread, so it doesn't lose it's purpose after one reply.
Accept our dominion.
Reap our malediction.
Welcome to oblivion!
Black Relic
Level 4

Re: Kraken Bolts Question (and other questions that don't deserve their own thread)

Postby Black Relic » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 7:42 am

Kraken Bolt do extra damage to units that wear commander armor which are all commanders. So FC, LC, Inq, Farseer, Warlock etc all of them take extra damage.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Indrid

Re: Kraken Bolts Question (and other questions that don't deserve their own thread)

Postby Indrid » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 1:17 pm

If you mean the Tactical Marine ability then no.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 1:47 pm

If I remember correctly Kraken Rounds do more damage to commanders now. The reason I believe this to be true is that Kraken Rounds from the Sternguards are now the rounds to go against heroes and since they are the same damage type it is reasonable to assume that Tac Kraken Rounds do more damage to them now as well.
Before that it used to be Hellfire rounds.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 1:48 pm

Indrid wrote:If you mean the Tactical Marine ability then no.
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 1:49 pm

No, it's like Indrid said. They are 2 diffrent damage types.
Tactical Kraken: Damage (both ranged and melee) against heavy infantry armor is increased by 20% for 10 seconds.
Sternguard Kraken: Deal 43%% more ranged damage to Heavy Infantry, and 20% more to Commander armor.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 1:53 pm

Dark Riku wrote:No, it's like Indrid said. They are 2 diffrent damage types.
Tactical Kraken: Damage (both ranged and melee) against heavy infantry armor is increased by 20% for 10 seconds.
Sternguard Kraken: Deal 43%% more ranged damage to Heavy Infantry, and 20% more to Commander armor.

I stand corrected then. I always believed them to be the same.
RIGHTLY
Level 0

Postby RIGHTLY » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 3:17 pm

Hmmm. I probably should have specified that I meant the fresh out of the HQ Tac Marine temporary ability, but it appears to be cleared up now. Thanks for the replies.
Accept our dominion.
Reap our malediction.
Welcome to oblivion!
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 3:49 pm

Dark Riku wrote:No, it's like Indrid said. They are 2 diffrent damage types.

I've never got a full grasp of this but does it remove the piercing damage penalty against HI armor too?

IE does a single tac model with kraken bolts active (14.58 dps) do 11.72232 dps (14.58 * 0.67 * 1.2) or 17.496 dps (14.58 * 1.2)?
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 5:59 pm

Psycho wrote:I've never got a full grasp of this but does it remove the piercing damage penalty against HI armor too?

IE does a single tac model with kraken bolts active (14.58 dps) do 11.72232 dps (14.58 * 0.67 * 1.2) or 17.496 dps (14.58 * 1.2)?

I doubt it. Doesn't say it does so why would it?
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 6:09 pm

OO i was thinking of the sternguard kraken rounds my bad.

But indrid is correct. Any unit wearing Heavy Infantry armor will take the extra damage.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 6:11 pm

Psycho wrote:I've never got a full grasp of this but does it remove the piercing damage penalty against HI armor too?
No.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 3:15 am

Torpid wrote:

I doubt it. Doesn't say it does so why would it?

If you look under the damage types in the codex I think there is a damage type called bolter_kraken that does 1.2 damage to HI. He might be thinking the declared 20% damage increase is an awkward way of saying the damage modifier is changed to 1.2.
oLev
Level 2

Postby oLev » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi, noob here with a few questions.
The Space Marine hero's drop pod ability:
-does it reinforce all your squads to full for no additional cost (200 req, 100 red), even terminators?
-does it do the same for your allies?
-does reinforcement overwatch have to be activated for the squad to be reinforced?
-should I use this ability whenever it will save me resources to reinforce multiple wounded squads or should I save the red for something more important?

I hear pros say you should not leave your units on reinforcement overwatch, is it because there are tricks to get free or discount reinforcements?
What are all these tricks for all the factions?
Any other econ-related tricks?
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 6:05 pm

desu wrote:Hi, noob here with a few questions.
The Space Marine hero's drop pod ability:
-does it reinforce all your squads to full for no additional cost (200 req, 100 red), even terminators?
-does it do the same for your allies?
-does reinforcement overwatch have to be activated for the squad to be reinforced?
-should I use this ability whenever it will save me resources to reinforce multiple wounded squads or should I save the red for something more important?

I hear pros say you should not leave your units on reinforcement overwatch, is it because there are tricks to get free or discount reinforcements?
What are all these tricks for all the factions?
Any other econ-related tricks?

1)Yes, no to termies
2)No
3)No it will reinforce regardless and it will reinforce all models at once not 1 by 1
4) You have to judge the req/power balancing, generally speaking yes but there are instances were it's favourable to only reinforce some units and not others

You shouldn't use overwatch when it isn't optimal, that's in the case of GMs with leaders and endless swarm (though nid eco is so stupid it doesn't really matter), technically speaking there are tricks, delaying increasing your pop has much as possible will result in less upkeep, avoiding reinforcing "useless" squad members also helps, this is mostly in the case of setup teams and snipers where 2 models are enough to do the job and if you have the balls you may attempt to just go around with 1 sniper/ranger model but I would discourage that, the same can be applied to grenade launcher tics and all units that use a limited amount of special weapons but I wouldn't do this with something like plasma or flamer tacts due to the fact that it will greatly reduce their anti infantry potency and tanking ability, doing this with tics/snipers etc is fine because the hp/damage they would gain from being full models is largely irrelevant.
oLev
Level 2

Postby oLev » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 6:41 pm

[quote="Ace of Swords"][/quote]

I see, I'll try get over my aversion to moving out with units missing members because I fear getting them wiped.
Does limiting population matter even when you go above 30 pop? I don't think I could do much with an army that's under 30 .
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 7:14 pm

pretty sure it can reinforce allies as long as they are space marines. May not reinforce on initial drop, but it does allow SM to use the drop pod as a reinforcement point.

Having that one less model help with not having as much pop. Which also mean you have less upkeep meaing your req income rate isn't taxed as much. So you can then get a needed unit on the field or reinforce a more valuable squad.

We are looking at maybe 2.55 req per min increase per heretic that isn't reinforced. If you have GL on them then the you would want to have only 4 models since those 4 model have the launchers. Not reinforcing all the tics means you get 10.2 more req per minute. This is in theory if all you had was 30 pop worth of heretics and its different in practice but it should be a good base for understanding.

Return to “Community General Discussion”