Any talk about new races?

Generic non-balance topics.
Coldpsyker
Level 0

Postby Coldpsyker » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 2:27 am

Hey all, being a relatively new player to DoW II Elite (but not to DoW II or tabletop in general), I was wondering if there was any talk about adding new races to the Elite mod?

I for one, would throw money at my computer if they came out with Dark Eldar (subset of Eldar like Grey Knights are for SM)

Probably just wishful thinking, but a man can have his dreams, can he not?

Random musings on how the Faction would work (think Eldar-ish: Dark Eldar have even less durability but have more firepower):

T1
Kabalite Warriors
-like DA, but can have one member upgrade to a blaster (AV) or shredder (AI, like barbed strangler animation)
-squad leader like DA exarch, but increases damage rather than reducing damage taken?
Wyches
-fall over to ranged fire, but would have stupid high melee damage resistance (like 60%), and only do regular melee damage
-squad leader adds a power weapon and haywire grenades

T 1.5
Mandrakes
-infiltrating CC unit
Kabalite Heavy Weapon Squad
-Splinter Cannon (AI suppression)
-Dark Lance (AV)
-Heat Lance (melta anti-everything, but not as good at either task)

T2
Raider
-fastest transport unit in-game, can have either disintegrator (AI) or dark lance (AV)
-has sentinel armor- i think its heavy infantry armor?
-low health
-T3 night shields upgrade- gives ranged damage resist (maybe like 30%)

Incubi
-heavy melee squad
-probably only heavy infantry in Dark Eldar army
-tormentor helm upgrade- some sort of activated suppression ability?

Talos Pain Engine
-think wraithlord equivalent

Scourges
-jumping heavy weapons squad (no knockback on jump)
-low model count and low health

T3
Grotesque Squad
-think like nob squad or assault terminators
-haemonculus upgrade gives them access to nob frenzy-like ability- thinking damage resist/damage increase

Ravager
-3 disintegrators (AI) or 3 Dark Lance (AV)
-fast
-low health
-super heavy infantry armor/or heavy infantry armor
-Night Shield upgrade gives ranged damage resist

Cronos Parasite Engine
-think short-ranged/melee tyranid neurothrope, but more focused on buffing allies than on pure offensiveness

Hero would be Archon or Succubus (think like a light infantry Chaos Lord- abilities are based more around buffing the hero/killing enemies than they are about supporting Allies)
Hell, there could even be a Haemonculus- that would be the support hero

Times like these, I wish i had modding skills/graphic design skills so i could make mock-up models.

Until then, I will see yall in Commorragh!
Jyrskis
Level 0

Re: Any talk about new races?

Postby Jyrskis » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 4:05 pm

I had this thought in my head as well, I was wondering if there could be even Slaanesh worship (the worship thing from the basic Chaos faction with like WSE model's heads on the heretic torsos, the icon on the ground might just be one from the base chaos god marks but coloured purple/pink) which would maybe slowly deal a little damage to the cultists (that pain pleasure thing those dark spess elves are after) while giving dmg/speed buff to the area around them. Btw Im certainly not expecting this thing to happen since I know there is stuff to do with balancing just the mod as it is, just wanted to throw this idea somewhere... :P
EDIT: welp, I seem to forget everything essential about the fluff
Last edited by Jyrskis on Sat 08 Oct, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kvn
Level 3

Postby Kvn » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 4:28 pm

Jyrskis wrote:I had this thought in my head as well, I was wondering if there could be even Slaanesh worship (the worship thing from the basic Chaos faction with like WSE model's heads on the heretic torsos, the icon on the ground might just be one from the base chaos god marks but coloured purple/pink) which would maybe slowly deal a little damage to the cultists (that pain pleasure thing those dark spess elves are after) while giving dmg/speed buff to the area around them. Btw Im certainly not expecting this thing to happen since I know there is stuff to do with balancing just the mod as it is, just wanted to throw this idea somewhere... :P

The Dark Eldar don't worship Slaanesh.
Jyrskis
Level 0

Postby Jyrskis » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 4:36 pm

Oh right, did the dark eldar actually hate the god/goddess since it tries to devour their souls?
Kvn
Level 3

Postby Kvn » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 4:48 pm

Jyrskis wrote:Oh right, did the dark eldar actually hate the god/goddess since it tries to devour their souls?

Yeah. They feed off pain and suffering to rejuvenate themselves from Slaanesh sapping their souls, since they don't have the protection of Soulstones like the Craftworlders, and because they're huge sadists.
Coldpsyker
Level 0

Postby Coldpsyker » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 5:14 pm

Jyrskis wrote:I had this thought in my head as well, I was wondering if there could be even Slaanesh worship

Slaanesh Heretic worship would be really cool

On tabletop, Slaanesh specific marks and Icons make you strike faster in CC and give you feel no pain

Could maybe translate to:
-Heretic worship increases melee skill (maybe 10?)
-Heretic worship gives a damage resist aura (maybe like 20%)

Slaaneshi Shrines could maybe debuff enemy units, like slow firing speed or movement speed?
Jyrskis
Level 0

Postby Jyrskis » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 5:31 pm

Coldpsyker wrote:
Jyrskis wrote:I had this thought in my head as well, I was wondering if there could be even Slaanesh worship

On tabletop, Slaanesh specific marks and Icons make you strike faster in CC and give you feel no pain

Slaaneshi Shrines could maybe debuff enemy units, like slow firing speed or movement speed?

Would need a whole new Chaos hero, Slaanesh champion probably...
_4ut_
Level 2

Postby _4ut_ » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 9:20 pm

Good topic. Dark Eldar is perfect choice for mod. Spanish shrine to.
_4ut_
Level 2

Postby _4ut_ » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 9:24 pm

Jyrskis wrote:Could maybe translate to:
-Heretic worship Would need a whole new Chaos hero, Slaanesh champion probably...

Fast, aggressive male hero but lou health like LC.
Coldpsyker
Level 0

Postby Coldpsyker » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 9:52 pm

Jyrskis wrote:
Coldpsyker wrote:

Would need a whole new Chaos hero, Slaanesh champion probably...

I'm thinking a cross between Chaos Sorcerer and Eldar Warlock

Some example upgrades:

Whip (because its Slaanesh there needs to be a whip somewhere)
-immobilizes a target squad for X seconds
-power melee

Lash of Submission
-power melee
-gives Warp Throw light- maybe only a single squad

Icon of Excess
-give Slaaneshi champ and allies within radius x damage resist x%

Armor of Shrieking Souls- T3 armor
-when Slaaneshi champ dies random model from the squad that killed him dies and is replaced by your hero (does not affect enemy heroes)
-very long cooldown
-does not increase health of slaaneshi champ

Gaze of Submission
-some sort of stun ability, maybe just prevents enemies from firing ranged weapons?
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 9:22 am

Would be cool and all but I highly doubt there will be any extra races.

Would need models and animations, voices etc. we don't have any of those assets afaik.

DoW3 is coming next year and that will most likely more or less kill the mod.

Not to mention balancing a new race.
#noobcodex
RIGHTLY
Level 0

Postby RIGHTLY » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 2:40 pm

Jyrskis wrote:Oh right, did the dark eldar actually hate the god/goddess since it tries to devour their souls?

The Dark Eldar are so pants-shittingly terrified of Slaanesh that they've outright banned the use of the Warp amongst themselves to prevent any potential daemonic outbreaks in Commorragh. That's some pretty extreme measures for them considering they're an entire race of potentially powerful Psykers.

On-topic, it'd be too much of a balancing act to add an entire new race, especially considering the custom faction we have already is apparently underpowered, if my bad-at-playing-this-game observation is worth anything (although I've heard players much better than me say the same thing). It's fun to theorycraft on what such-and-such unit/faction could do if it was added into the game (two new OM commanders to make them feel like a fully fledged faction that shipped with the game would be cool), but in practice it'd be a nightmare implement perfectly. Less is more, and less is easier to work with.
Accept our dominion.
Reap our malediction.
Welcome to oblivion!

Return to “Community General Discussion”