"SEE BUT DO NOT BE SEEN!"

Generic non-balance topics.
Oddnerd
Level 4

"SEE BUT DO NOT BE SEEN!"

Postby Oddnerd » Fri 09 Sep, 2016 5:07 pm

Hi all,

For the next patch, could scouts be changed so that they no longer announce to the whole world that they have just infiltrated? As far as I know, they are the only unit that does this, but if there are others they should also not make any indicative noise. Infiltrated units can be very dangerous, but not so dangerous that they need to let other players know they are creeping around like that.
Nurland

Re: "SEE BUT DO NOT BE SEEN!"

Postby Nurland » Fri 09 Sep, 2016 8:17 pm

Every infiltrating unit does it. Scouts are just the loudest.
#noobcodex
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 09 Sep, 2016 10:38 pm

Pretty sure scouts are the only ones to do so. From even in the FoW -.-
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Fri 09 Sep, 2016 10:59 pm

Make me laugh sometimes. So stupid
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Fri 09 Sep, 2016 11:56 pm

I know rangers will say "No unfriendly eyes shall see us", but I'm not sure if enemies hear it the same way that they can with scouts.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sat 10 Sep, 2016 12:22 am

Other units say their infiltration lines as well iirc but they are just not so horribly loud as scouts.
#noobcodex
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Re:

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 11:53 am

Nurland wrote:Other units say their infiltration lines as well iirc but they are just not so horribly loud as scouts.

Precisely that. I hear rangers from time to time but it is MUCH harder to hear them than it is to hear Scouts. They basically telegraph it across the entire map. In that regard they are like the GUO, which for some wierd reason can also be heard across the entire map. :shock:
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 11:58 am

Then again Rangers can't chuck grenades from stealth so I'm fine with Scouts giving some advance warning of possible inexplicable squad wipes.

Not to mention they also snitch on enemies attacking them.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 2:07 pm

hiveminion wrote:Then again Rangers can't chuck grenades from stealth so I'm fine with Scouts giving some advance warning of possible inexplicable squad wipes.

Not to mention they also snitch on enemies attacking them.

nobody complains about the Knob/koomandoes doing the same though.
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 2:21 pm

Ace of Swords wrote:

Well I have no idea why they don't.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 2:31 pm

hiveminion wrote:
Ace of Swords wrote:

Well I have no idea why they don't.

Simply because you have to be aware of your own units, scouts shouldn't shout from across half the map they are going stealth.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 3:01 pm

I very rarely play with the volume on tbh as I'm usually listening to music and am after over 4k hours of DOW more than bored with the sound effects. I have no issue with scout nades being a thing. So I don't see why those who do play with sound effects should get a large bonus purely when dealing with vsing scouts...
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 4:02 pm

Ace of Swords wrote:
Simply because you have to be aware of your own units, scouts shouldn't shout from across half the map they are going stealth.

So then by the same token, can we remove all the voice lines that betray opponent's abilities (including grenades) being used, or specific attacks being made (ie, snipers)?

Seriously I think this 'issue' is a bit ridiculous, I don't think anyone can argue that upgraded Scouts are in any way underperforming, let alone that voice lines are a major factor in game balance.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 5:20 pm

hiveminion wrote:
Ace of Swords wrote:

So then by the same token, can we remove all the voice lines that betray opponent's abilities (including grenades) being used, or specific attacks being made (ie, snipers)?

Seriously I think this 'issue' is a bit ridiculous, I don't think anyone can argue that upgraded Scouts are in any way underperforming, let alone that voice lines are a major factor in game balance.

One is a stealth unit the others aren't, it's completely different by your logic we should hear from half across the map the LA/lictor and every unit that can infiltrate + inq armor and Knob infiltration going stealth and ofc that makes 0 fucking sense.

On top of the fact that you can hear them within visual range.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 5:38 pm

Someone should check the Scout SFX settings maybe, in case some oversight value there makes the voice carry extra far.
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 6:41 pm

Ace of Swords wrote:
One is a stealth unit the others aren't, it's completely different by your logic we should hear from half across the map the LA/lictor and every unit that can infiltrate + inq armor and Knob infiltration going stealth and ofc that makes 0 fucking sense.

I think we are misunderstanding each other. I'm referring to the fact that Scouts also give information to the owning player with their voice lines ('incoming grenades, brothers', 'snipers, find the cowards' etc.), which for example a Lictor will never tell you.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 6:54 pm

hiveminion wrote:
Ace of Swords wrote:

I think we are misunderstanding each other. I'm referring to the fact that Scouts also give information to the owning player with their voice lines ('incoming grenades, brothers', 'snipers, find the cowards' etc.), which for example a Lictor will never tell you.

Every unit does that, tacts aswell, DAs, GM etc etc only nids lack voiceovers.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sun 11 Sep, 2016 8:33 pm

Knob shotgun and/or nades is harder to dodge and more devastating.
#noobcodex
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 1:51 pm

I would guess that this is relevant to how the soundbite is processed (the GUO had a similar bug for, um, most of Chaos Rising I think), but it could easily be something controllable in the data attrib. Wouldn't know where to look, though.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 2:51 pm

hiveminion wrote:Seriously I think this 'issue' is a bit ridiculous, I don't think anyone can argue that upgraded Scouts are in any way underperforming, let alone that voice lines are a major factor in game balance.
Are you for real? It's a very big deal that scouts shout from across the map telling the enemy they are going stealth. No other unit does that. It is a balance issue.

What if other units that were bought shout out to the enemy that they were just bought? BLOODCRUSHER SPAWNED. Quickly, prepare your AV.
Or any other infiltrating unit would do that?
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 3:08 pm

Dark Riku wrote:
hiveminion wrote:Seriously I think this 'issue' is a bit ridiculous, I don't think anyone can argue that upgraded Scouts are in any way underperforming, let alone that voice lines are a major factor in game balance.
Are you for real? It's a very big deal that scouts shout from across the map telling the enemy they are going stealth. No other unit does that. It is a balance issue.

What if other units that were bought shout out to the enemy that they were just bought? BLOODCRUSHER SPAWNED. Quickly, prepare your AV.

Riku, get with the mainstream already!
ImageImageImageImage
It says so on the internet, so it must be true.

P.S: You can hear the GUO form across the map as well. 8-)
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 3:20 pm

Adeptus Noobus wrote:P.S: You can hear the GUO form across the map as well. 8-)
I care less about that since it's a T3 unit that doesn't see as much play as souts who are present from the start of the game.
It should get changed too regardless though.
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 3:44 pm

Dark Riku wrote:Are you for real? It's a very big deal that scouts shout from across the map telling the enemy they are going stealth. No other unit does that. It is a balance issue.

I disagree it is a 'very big' deal, and the comparison to a unit purchase holds almost no ground.

The reason I'm so resistant to this thread's premise is that this game is littered with inconsistencies in terms of what you can and cannot make out through the fog of war, so it seems silly to single out this Scout voice line as an issue. Let's start with the fact you can actually briefly see your opponent's base at the start of the game. And that you can tell exactly where your opponent's Sentinel or terrain-breaking commander is by watching the destruction of terrain. Or that you can hear a Zoanthrope's shield long before you see it.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 4:04 pm

If it's not a big deal then why do you even care if it gets changed or not?

And that's a reason not to change it? let's not change anything then. Why is the mod even here then?
hiveminion
Level 3

Postby hiveminion » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 4:12 pm

Dark Riku wrote:If it's not a big deal then why do you even care if it gets changed or not?

And that's a reason not to change it? let's not change anything then. Why is the mod even here then?

Sure, if the consensus is that nothing should be discernable from the fog of war I'm all for changing all these things, but not just one while leaving the others as is.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 5:09 pm

Oh, the GUO was never fixed?
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 6:27 pm

hiveminion wrote:Sure, if the consensus is that nothing should be discernable from the fog of war I'm all for changing all these things, but not just one while leaving the others as is.

Feel free to make a list of all the things that need to change so Windu can have a look at it when he can.
(read: when he wants to and nothing more important is on his to do list)
For now people are voicing their concern with the scout one in particular as it has major impacts in a game.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 10:05 pm

Dark Riku wrote:Feel free to make a list of all the things that need to change so Windu can have a look at it when he can.
(read: when he wants to and nothing more important is on his to do list)
For now people are voicing their concern with the scout one in particular as it has major impacts in a game.

For once I agree with Riku.

See? I'm not just bias :P
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Arbit
Level 3

Postby Arbit » Fri 30 Sep, 2016 9:36 pm

I think all infiltratable units at least make the "swhwoop" noise that everyone can hear, but they basically have to be on your screen in order to hear it.

Lootas definitely yell out "hush up" or something to that effect but no one is quite so loud-mouthed as scouts for some reason.
My 1v1 map - Imperial Plaza. Revisions are in progress so please check it out and give feedback!
Lost Son of Nikhel
Contributor

Postby Lost Son of Nikhel » Sat 01 Oct, 2016 12:38 am

In spanish they don't shout, they almost whispered the "see but do not be seen" quote :P
"Pater, peccavi in caelum et coram te; iam non sum dignus vocari filius tuus". Dixit autem pater: "manducemus et epulemur, quia hic filius meus mortuus erat et revixit, perierat et inventus est"

There will be no forgiveness for us.

Return to “Community General Discussion”