Necron Overlord coming to Last stand? - picks and stuff inside

Generic non-balance topics.
MaxPower
Contributor

Necron Overlord coming to Last stand? - picks and stuff inside

Postby MaxPower » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:16 pm

Hello,

not sure if this belongs in this section but I did some digging with the steam achievement manager (jajaja, I know) and I did find two new hidden achievements:

1. Lord of the risen doom - Revive 2 Allies at a time - or 1 Ally and yourself - with the Resurrection Orb ability twice in a single game.
2. The red harvest - Complete 100 total waves as the Overlord.

And here is a pic DarkHero posted:

Compare the Scythe to the GW Necron Overlord Scythe and we have a match:

I am kinda excited to be honest.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Swift

Re: Necron Overlord comming to Last stand? - picks and stuff inside

Postby Swift » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:30 pm

It'll be a case of if DoW II wins MWNL3 (which it won't) then the people who helped it win might get a Necron Lord DLC code as a prize.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:31 pm

But that would mean that (if thye get it as a price) someone had to make the model first and at that point they could sell the DLC as well, no?
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Re: Necron Overlord coming to Last stand? - picks and stuff inside

Postby Ace of Swords » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 7:29 pm

Based retards at relic, keep not fixing the game
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 7:46 pm

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 7:49 pm

new last stand content? wow, what a wonderful way to show dow2 support and grow the community

...in the year 2012
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 8:33 pm

I think you're severely underselling the amount of people that play it.
531st
Level 2

Postby 531st » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 9:51 pm

I'd give a lot for some new last stand maps. Maybe even campaign-ish missions etc. New content is gud but after playing so much on those two maps with very same enemies. It becomes so boring with such a big potenital. How is this even possible to spend hundreds of hours eyeballing 1 unit running around very same tiny map (i mean for humans, not dota players :D )
Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Postby Ar-Aamon » Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:21 am

531st wrote:I'd give a lot for some new last stand maps. Maybe even campaign-ish missions etc. New content is gud but after playing so much on those two maps with very same enemies. It becomes so boring with such a big potenital. How is this even possible to spend hundreds of hours eyeballing 1 unit running around very same tiny map (i mean for humans, not dota players :D )

Some here. Would be actually cool if Reric add some new stuff to the Last Stand.
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Fri 12 Feb, 2016 5:06 am

My only fuzz personally with The Last Stand was how repetetive it got after a few sessions. It really lacked variety, and more maps would help with that, or at least some randomization to make each playthrough more different.

I will stand by that the mod 'The Last Stand' (Aka The First Stand) mod that was created in vanilla DoW2 was the boss. Since it allowed the player to customize the waves, the enemies and where you would defend (ON ANY MAP), and where the enmy spawn - and how many. It did lack the hero customization to a certain degree, since all of it was forced mid-game, but that's another thing I wish The Last Stand in retail would expand upon, to make the players adapt on the fly, rather than try to stick to their initial path.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Fri 12 Feb, 2016 6:04 am

I cannot even think of the TLS mode as an actual mode as it is… it’s more of a concept, a “Look what we’re going to add once it’s finished” kind of demo. It doesn’t need a new hero, it needs a dozen maps with varying objectives.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Fri 12 Feb, 2016 7:36 pm

Lulgrim wrote:I cannot even think of the TLS mode as an actual mode as it is… it’s more of a concept, a “Look what we’re going to add once it’s finished” kind of demo. It doesn’t need a new hero, it needs a dozen maps with varying objectives.

This plus heroes need buttons, as far as I know all the good builds have only 1 or 2 abilities, the game basically plays itself, what you do most of the time it auto attack and jump/teleport away when there are too many enemies or you need to kite.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Sat 13 Feb, 2016 5:40 pm

Caeltos wrote:I think you're severely underselling the amount of people that play it.

im really not, i still actually play last stand now and then, last stand has an okish playerbase but most of it is either brand new ppl who are lvl <5 and have no idea what they're doing or lvl 20 ppl who can consistently beat anvil (and the other map too if you have the right build/know how to predict the waves)

Ace of Swords wrote:This plus heroes need buttons, as far as I know all the good builds have only 1 or 2 abilities, the game basically plays itself, what you do most of the time it auto attack and jump/teleport away when there are too many enemies or you need to kite.

this
most heroes only have like 1-2 weapons/armors that really see use if you want to win, and some accessories are basically auto-takes
if you're good enough with sorcerer you can easily beat last stand with just 2 players for example, but you have to use a specific build to do so

so yeah, necron lord would be cool i guess, but more maps+stat tweaks+more player control would make last stand much better than it is now

still never gonna happen anyways
Skyward Sorceror
Level 2

Postby Skyward Sorceror » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 9:13 am

Well that's the main problem with Last Stand, SUURE you have ALL these cool weapons from your faction. But Gameplay wise there are only a FEW logical choices. Also maaan I would love some campaign style missions. I would also love the campaigns to not use THE SAME MAPS. It's not even funny.
Ten squads die by me.... Look at all the damn I give.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 9:23 am

Ace of Swords wrote:Based retards at relic, keep not fixing the game

Yes I'm sure the two areas of competency overlap perfectly, baaaaaaaaaaaaaw.

(and to those expecting a "serious" answer, I'm just going to roll my eyes and quote the guy above saying "based retards". Fecking forced channer memes, so cool, much edgy, wow)

Anything new for this game is good. Can guarantee they're still aware of the issues around it as well. It's almost like people have uncovered content ahead of time and haven't even thought if bugfixes are coming in alongside~

As usual, happy to be proven wrong when the bugfixes don't turn up.
BloatedChamp
Level 1

Postby BloatedChamp » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 12:45 pm

I agree, any new content is good. It keeps the game alive.

How come noone mods The Last Stand? Maybe to try out the dark eldar Hero + or the talked about slaneeshy hero. We talking about releasing 1 unit rather than implementing a whole new race.....

Then again I understand I am underestimating the level of effort these things take. :p
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 2:16 pm

BloatedChamp wrote:I agree, any new content is good. It keeps the game alive.

How come noone mods The Last Stand? Maybe to try out the dark eldar Hero + or the talked about slaneeshy hero. We talking about releasing 1 unit rather than implementing a whole new race.....

Then again I understand I am underestimating the level of effort these things take. :p

Modding The Last Stand unfortunately causes a lot of issues. I haven't tried it in literally years myself, but I've heard reports of game crashes, files failing to validate, and so on. It uses a very different interface to regular MP as well, so you can't even just copy files directly over and hope they work.

I was going to investigate it after I did some Campaign modding, way back in the day (being one of the first to mod DoW II) but I ran out of time for everything. Don't even have any time to go back to it, but there are more than enough talented folks around here to do something themselves if they wanted to (DoW II has a surprisingly-dedicated set of core modders).
Fr33man1800
Level 2

Postby Fr33man1800 » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 3:19 pm

Gorb wrote: Modding The Last Stand unfortunately causes a lot of issues.

"Issues" or maybe you meant "features" Image

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undocumented_feature

See also

dawn of war
company of heroes
relic entertainment
̶b̶u̶g̶s̶
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 3:40 pm

Fr33man1800 wrote:
Gorb wrote: Modding The Last Stand unfortunately causes a lot of issues.

"Issues" or maybe you meant "features" Image

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undocumented_feature

See also

dawn of war
company of heroes
relic entertainment
̶b̶u̶g̶s̶
Given that an unofficial modification released by a third-party doesn't count in any way shape or form as an official release (as per the Wiki link) I'm afraid your attempt at humour falls flat.

Relic, and indeed any software vendor on the planet, are not responsible for third-party unofficial modifications to their released products.

I mean if I'd never read it before, it'd be novel. But come on, I come from the official forums, a place I moderated since 2010. To quote that 'Nam quote, "I've seen some shit" :p Wise up, yo.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 9:37 pm

As I'm on a roll, I'm obliged to point out:
Swiftsabre wrote:It'll be a case of if DoW II wins MWNL3 (which it won't) then the people who helped it win might get a Necron Lord DLC code as a prize.

The prize is already confirmed as the Tau Commander DLC on the site, from what I remember reading.

Which bodes well for this being something completely new :)
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 10:06 pm

Gorb wrote:As I'm on a roll, I'm obliged to point out:
Swiftsabre wrote:It'll be a case of if DoW II wins MWNL3 (which it won't) then the people who helped it win might get a Necron Lord DLC code as a prize.

The prize is already confirmed as the Tau Commander DLC on the site, from what I remember reading.

Which bodes well for this being something completely new :)

That was before I saw the prizes :] Still, I don't have the Tau Commander so works for me.

However, Attlia is at 95% now and DoW II is at 92%.

(CoH 2 at 60%) 8-)
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 11:09 pm

Atilla 100%, DoW2 98% . We've lost, right?
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 11:24 pm

DandyFrontline wrote:Atilla 100%, DoW2 98% . We've lost, right?

It's still going, Attila 105%, DOW II 103% and CoH 2 67%.
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 1:34 am

Only 1% behind now. DANNGGGG
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 2:01 am

BloatedChamp wrote:How come noone mods The Last Stand? Maybe to try out the dark eldar Hero + or the talked about slaneeshy hero.

Maybe because it has enough heroes already but no content to do with the heroes.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 9:14 am

Lulgrim wrote:
BloatedChamp wrote:How come noone mods The Last Stand? Maybe to try out the dark eldar Hero + or the talked about slaneeshy hero.

Maybe because it has enough heroes already but no content to do with the heroes.

Again, that's something solveable. Reworking wargear and abilities is entirely possible, I'm unsure of how editable the waves are (or the AI routines in general, you'd know more there).

If you don't like the base TLS gameplay, sure, fine, but then you're just projecting your own dislike of the base mode into a reason for all the DoW II modders not doing anything with it (which is factually untrue). Having helped said modders in the past, it is definitely more a difficulty issue than "nobody likes the mode enough / sees enough potential in the mode to mod it". I just can't remember the blockers specifically, because it's been a few years since I seriously modded DoW II, or helped people out with projects.
Myrdal
Admin

Postby Myrdal » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 6:54 pm

Gorb wrote:
Lulgrim wrote:

Again, that's something solveable. Reworking wargear and abilities is entirely possible, I'm unsure of how editable the waves are (or the AI routines in general, you'd know more there).

He's talking about the lack of content as in maps with varying objectives and challenges within this mode. Afaik the map pool is restricted to the current 2 maps which is probably the blocker you're on about and the reason so few bother with modding tls.
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 7:05 pm

Gorb wrote:If you don't like the base TLS gameplay, sure, fine, but then you're just projecting your own dislike of the base mode into a reason for all the DoW II modders not doing anything with it (which is factually untrue).

I was answering a question on why nobody made another hero for it.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 7:09 pm

WE WON THE FIRST ROUND!!!

Additional satisfaction: CoH2 lost massively XD
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Tue 16 Feb, 2016 7:35 pm

Lulgrim wrote:
Gorb wrote:If you don't like the base TLS gameplay, sure, fine, but then you're just projecting your own dislike of the base mode into a reason for all the DoW II modders not doing anything with it (which is factually untrue).

I was answering a question on why nobody made another hero for it.

*shrugs*

There's more than one answer, and people can disagree with yours. Didn't mean to put you out or something.

hakon wrote:
Gorb wrote:
Lulgrim wrote:Maybe because it has enough heroes already but no content to do with the heroes.

He's talking about the lack of content as in maps with varying objectives and challenges within this mode. Afaik the map pool is restricted to the current 2 maps which is probably the blocker you're on about and the reason so few bother with modding tls.

Someone was investigating map modding of it at one point, too. The blockers are mostly UI-related, the same as most of DoW II modding. Everything else (especially since Santos worked his magic) is pretty straight-forward (again, with the caveat that while I'm sure AI modding is possible I don't know how difficult it is or if anyone actually made great strides in this area. Way back in the day, a modder called Croaxleigh investigated, if I remember rightly. He said AI modding was doable, but the existing framework was very bare? We're talking years ago).

Return to “Community General Discussion”