Elite mod pre patch preview and interviews

Generic non-balance topics.
Swift

Elite mod pre patch preview and interviews

Postby Swift » Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:54 am

Bet you thought I might be offering to do it myself, but sadly I'm only theorycrafting.

I know PhatE had the grand idea a while back and Indrid did something similar last patch, but why not combine the ideas and make a video headed up by someone like Indrid or Rupee where they show off the new patch and interview Cael, Myrdal and Windu about the changes and modding efforts. This could then be fleshed out with interviews with the new map makers about their submissions and certain strategists who could analyse the map.

It could also offer exposure for plugging streamers too, since Elite popularity could do with a boost on the Twitch end of things.

The advantages of taking PhatE's idea and making it youtube based are that we can edit it freely, people can do it when it is convenient, and by posting to youtube it hits the larger demographic whilst exposing the smaller one.

I am happy to help in any way and will add to this when I can get to a PC.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Lulgrim
Admin

Re: Elite mod pre patch preview and interviews

Postby Lulgrim » Wed 27 Jan, 2016 11:02 am

Swiftsabre wrote:someone like Indrid or Rupee

Or BaNgBuS.
Although if looking for max. visibility Indrid is in his own heights what comes to follower count.
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 27 Jan, 2016 3:37 pm

Lulgrim wrote:
Swiftsabre wrote:someone like Indrid or Rupee

Or BaNgBuS.
Although if looking for max. visibility Indrid is in his own heights what comes to follower count.

Bangbus? Is this one of those Ruskie viewbot streamers no one across the iron curtain has heard of.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Wed 27 Jan, 2016 5:56 pm

Eh, I could probably do this. But you definitely need to explain this to me more because I'm not 100% I know what you're asking for. Do you just want vods of people in TS playing the new patch or something?
Tranca
Level 2

Postby Tranca » Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:44 pm

Swiftsabre wrote:Bet you thought I might be offering to do it myself, but sadly I'm only theorycrafting.

I know PhatE had the grand idea a while back and Indrid did something similar last patch, but why not combine the ideas and make a video headed up by someone like Indrid or Rupee where they show off the new patch and interview Cael, Myrdal and Windu about the changes and modding efforts. This could then be fleshed out with interviews with the new map makers about their submissions and certain strategists who could analyse the map.

It could also offer exposure for plugging streamers too, since Elite popularity could do with a boost on the Twitch end of things.

The advantages of taking PhatE's idea and making it youtube based are that we can edit it freely, people can do it when it is convenient, and by posting to youtube it hits the larger demographic whilst exposing the smaller one.

I am happy to help in any way and will add to this when I can get to a PC.

If we knew each other in real life, I'd hire the shit out of you.

Exposure exposure exposure. That's the name of the game when it comes to getting a brand out there.

Doing something like this and spreading it through the right channel could do alot towards increasing the Elite community.

I hopes this idea gains more traction!

Edit: Atlas, I think he means something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ePpgVqXGJM

Except, you'd be doing it with other experienced players on the cast, as well!
Last edited by Tranca on Wed 27 Jan, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BbBoS
Shoutcaster

Postby BbBoS » Sun 31 Jan, 2016 12:08 am

I could attempt to make something like this, but I am not 100% sure what you would want it to entail so would need some guidance, but not as many people would see it though compared to it being made by either Rupee or Indrid :P
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Sun 31 Jan, 2016 3:01 am

BbBoS wrote:I could attempt to make something like this, but I am not 100% sure what you would want it to entail

He’s talking about an amalgam of:
- http://youtu.be/BjUVLw9GTTI
- http://youtu.be/hrxtmwnDrLw
of course Indrid and RR have more followers, but if you did do it and we promoted the shit out of it and asked other channels to help, it should pan out and could boost your subscriptions as well.
Lichtbringer
Level 3

Postby Lichtbringer » Sun 31 Jan, 2016 1:41 pm

Lulgrim wrote:
BbBoS wrote:I could attempt to make something like this, but I am not 100% sure what you would want it to entail

of course Indrid and RR have more followers, but if you did do it and we promoted the shit out of it and asked other channels to help, it should pan out and could boost your subscriptions as well.

I would watch that.
But obviously it depends on Caeltos, and how far the patch is.
Because I don't think he wants to do it when some things are not final yet. And honestly I understand. Telling people here on the forum: "This and that might be changed" is one thing, but putting it in a nice "promotional video" might lead to confusion and questions and bitching why something wasn't done afterall.

If its 3 days before the patch or something (like indrids preview video was), I think it would be great.
BbBoS
Shoutcaster

Postby BbBoS » Sun 31 Jan, 2016 5:17 pm

Lulgrim wrote:He’s talking about an amalgam of:

I can give this a go, although would need to wait for patch notes to be finalized :P
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 31 Jan, 2016 8:30 pm

Lulgrim wrote:

That's exactly what I mean, except we aim for having more interviews than just with designers and more than two people involved so it's like a discussion panel.

E.G. BBBOS hosts and picks some questions for Cael about the patch, and we get someone else like Windu or Myrdal to talk about implementation maybe or someone like Tex to talk about how he sees the change, and Tex can give his feedback directly to Caeltos, getting a mix of commentary from the designer and then an analyst. This could also be extended to maps, talk to the mapper and get an expert/strategist/map designer to query them whilst they explain their intended goals.
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Mon 01 Feb, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks for the mention there, Swift :)

It was an idea I never ended up going through with. The cliché reason is of course that things get in the way and it's unfortunate that I don't have anything more original to use as an excuse.

The general premise was that this was meant to be something like state of the game, a really well done and insightful show. It was informative, perspective shifting, eye opening and a lot of fun. This was the main reason that I wanted to go ahead with this. The community definitely has its disagreements between themselves on balance and having this sort of medium would allow certain members to express their opinions based on experience and whatnot in a collective and well organised manner. The show is meant to be light-hearted and fun without resorting to people being rude, facetious or toxic just because someone's opinion differs from theirs which happens often on this forum. Mods can only do so much in a day without being on a payroll. It also could give the balance team, if you can call it that, a better idea on certain issues that might be imperative to the races relevance in the overall game and MU's that they face. I know that there are a few that play this game never really express their opinions but they're so worth while and they have really great experience it would be a shame not to hear them.

On occasion David Kim, the head of balance for SC2 IIRC, would come onto it and would address questions from the community directly, I might add. Even when that guy was being drilled by iNcontrol and Nony (two very notable players who had great ideas on balance), he kept his cool and answered them in a really professional manner. That's the direction that I would want the show to go in, not for it to be a shout fest.

Caeltos isn't shy from expressing his feelings on his vision for this mod. Even when it's out of complete frustration with specific people. It can really help those who are learning to understand how someone who played at an incredibly high level (and still retains a lot of that residual skill) and has a much deeper understanding of the game/race mechanics than most do.

Yeah so that's the idea. Once a month do a show, get 4 dudes who represent or have a clue about each MU, have fun, community gets to hangout and actually gets to be a community.
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 03 Feb, 2016 11:25 pm

Alright I'm going to try to get this thing rolling by recruiting a host, some experts, our lord and master (if he so wishes) and maybe even a certain lost primarch who happens to be good at coding.
Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Postby Ar-Aamon » Tue 09 Feb, 2016 12:00 pm

So when is this gonna happen? I'm looking forward to.
BloatedChamp
Level 1

Postby BloatedChamp » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 4:00 pm

+ + + 1
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 4:38 pm

Swiftsabre wrote:primarch

I haven't made any contributions to the actual mod for a while, so other less lost people may be more informative on what's up. I'm also an utter Sunday coder, I have usually no idea what I'm doing, but luckily the website is simple...
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:11 pm

Lulgrim wrote:

I haven't made any contributions to the actual mod for a while, so other less lost people may be more informative on what's up. I'm also an utter Sunday coder, I have usually no idea what I'm doing, but luckily the website is simple...

But you made ESL and recently redesigned the website layout to be more user friendly, step out into the light!

I'll contact people, see if they're interested today.
Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Postby Ar-Aamon » Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:22 am

Lulgrim wrote:

A humble fellow have we here. 8-)
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 12 Feb, 2016 4:21 pm

Alrighty well a small update. I'm currently collecting some people to fill some roles and I am forming a rough outline of where the show should go.

I'm aiming for a sort of chat show approach, covering various areas with different people talking about aspects of the patch, along the lines of the notes, maps, website upgrades (although not patch related), implementation, streamer stuff, etc. Still a WIP.

Roughly I'd be looking for people who fill these roles:
- Host
- Strategist (doing the talky stuff about notes and... strategy)
- Mappers
- Modders
- King modder
- Coder

Currently I'm gathering a pool of people but it's all invite only.
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 19 Feb, 2016 11:39 am

So I've run into a slight problem, nothing that stops it from going ahead, but it means my involvement will be restricted by when I'm available. I'm writing something and I've got two months fewer to do it in than I originally thought, so I'm pressed for time right now.
Lichtbringer
Level 3

Postby Lichtbringer » Fri 19 Feb, 2016 3:05 pm

We could also make it post patch interviews^^
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 21 Feb, 2016 3:36 pm

The project has run into some trouble with scheduling according to the patch's timing. I'm sorry if it doesn't come about but a couple of things lately have been sprung upon me and I'm making do best I can, but things aren't hopeful.

I will not defame anyone by naming names since I know a mix of factors were at work, but this all happened very suddenly.
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 22 Feb, 2016 6:49 pm

Disregard my last answer, I may well have been swayed into action by a few plucky folks.

But don't count on it.

Return to “Community General Discussion”