should i buy dow2?

Generic non-balance topics.
KENMA
Level 0

should i buy dow2?

Postby KENMA » Sun 29 Nov, 2015 7:18 am

hi, i used to play dow1 series and i love wh40k lore and atmosphere. just saw dow2 in sale yesterday but according to my observations, this game is dead at 2012 and trying to remain alive with this elite community, correct me if i am wrong. are there any weekly or monthly tournaments going on? or any ranked competitive games? i want to play this game like a tryhard and compete with other tryhard pros.

sorry for my bad engrish~
egewithin
Level 5

Re: should i buy dow2?

Postby egewithin » Sun 29 Nov, 2015 9:29 am

You should buy it if as long as you will play with elite mod. Vanillia is nearly dead, but Last Stand mode of the game ( comes with the games itself, not additional mod ) is still fun to play.

Yes, we have tournaments going on, mostly MRT but we sometimes have a begginer tournament too. Don't worry, you will have fun with DoW2. Do not buy DoW2 , go buy DoW2 - RETRUBİTİON. About learning the game, go play Retrubition campaing, it should be enough.
Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Postby Ar-Aamon » Sun 29 Nov, 2015 11:31 am

Well the campaign is worth playing for Vanilla and Chaos Rising as well (at least for me, I really enjoyed it). Since the whole franchise is on sale and you are a WH40K fan you do nothing wrong by buying those games. But if you only are interested in MP you should probably get only Retribution. :)
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sun 29 Nov, 2015 3:53 pm

As for the tournament bit, we had a tournament literally yesterday and we've got 2 planned for next month. We try to do 2 tournaments a month as a standard, with a Beginner Tournament and a Monthly Rumble Tournament, with a couple of special rules tournaments in between :3
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Sun 29 Nov, 2015 3:58 pm

KENMA wrote:hi, i used to play dow1 series and i love wh40k lore and atmosphere. just saw dow2 in sale yesterday but according to my observations, this game is dead at 2012 and trying to remain alive with this elite community, correct me if i am wrong. are there any weekly or monthly tournaments going on? or any ranked competitive games? i want to play this game like a tryhard and compete with other tryhard pros.

Yes the game has been "dead" according to many people since 2012, but you can still find custom (not ranked) games easily and enjoy it, and there are monthly tournaments. However the playerbase, and especially the competitive scene, is small so if you want to play this game like a tryhard and compete with other tryhard pros you might be better off looking at another RTS.

Apart from not using capital letters your english is pretty much perfect. ;)
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Lulgrim
Admin

Postby Lulgrim » Sun 29 Nov, 2015 5:47 pm

KENMA wrote:according to my observations, this game is dead at 2012 and trying to remain alive with this elite community, correct me if i am wrong.

Well, it "died" later than that, I think, but yeah you're kind of correct.

Toilailee wrote:you can still find custom (not ranked) games easily and enjoy it

We are trying to build an automated external ranking system right now (using custom code to report in-game results to our server and process it into a ladder there). The old manual ladder (based on referees actually watching the games) can be seen here and the new in-developement ladder (not yet automatic, although it works by uploading replays instead of watching them) is here. I'm sure we'll get it up somehow.

BUT like Toilailee said the community is rather small, so it will never get super competitive. You can watch some of the Monthly Rumble broadcasts to get an idea, but it's more of a "club" thing than a global series like the big games. You want pr0, you need to go there… Although if you want to compete in 40K, I guess Elite is the only option?
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 12:02 am

On sale now!
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 9:31 am

Toilailee wrote:
KENMA wrote:hi, i used to play dow1 series and i love wh40k lore and atmosphere. just saw dow2 in sale yesterday but according to my observations, this game is dead at 2012 and trying to remain alive with this elite community, correct me if i am wrong. are there any weekly or monthly tournaments going on? or any ranked competitive games? i want to play this game like a tryhard and compete with other tryhard pros.

Yes the game has been "dead" according to many people since 2012, but you can still find custom (not ranked) games easily and enjoy it, and there are monthly tournaments. However the playerbase, and especially the competitive scene, is small so if you want to play this game like a tryhard and compete with other tryhard pros you might be better off looking at another RTS.

Apart from not using capital letters your english is pretty much perfect. ;)

Pretty much this.

Good for Single-Player, good for co-op (if you like that), and very limited for MP. Especially competitive MP, which basically requires you to use ELITE.
Lichtbringer
Level 3

Postby Lichtbringer » Mon 30 Nov, 2015 9:33 pm

I feel obligated to tell you that DoW2 is not like DoW1 and many DoW1 players were displeased with that fact.

I personally love the DoW2/CoH style though and still think its an amazing game. Just not the same as DoW1. So yes as a Wh40k fan definitly buy it^^
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Tue 01 Dec, 2015 12:16 pm

Dow 1 and 2 are functionally very different games that scratch two very unique itches.

If you simply want to relish in the general mayhem of extended colourful battles with lots of units. Well sad to say dow 1 and its expansions are still the dominant force of the two games by a substantial margin even after over 10 years.

But if you enjoy the small scale tactical combat reminiscent of the actual table top game where you usually dont have massive armies (unless you are stupid rich and go to like a games day at your local gamesworkshop....) then dow 2 simply crushes dow 1 . Units are more valuable and the game heavily rewards you for lovingly keeping said units alive.

Both games are cheap and have sales all the time so money really should not be a major issue here. if you can skip a cheap lunch.. then you have dow 2.
You skip an expensive lunch and depending on the time of year .. you can buy the whole franchise.

Even if the game is technically dead (both are) both also have enough of a community left to regularly get games in daily. Well that was true atleast for dow 2 , havent touched dow 1 in a good while.

Also I think it is misleading to look at communities to gauge if dow 2 is good or not. Dow2 took several hits too its community early because of launch issues and stability issues ( on account of thq kicking its ass out the door a few months too soon) This did irreparable damage to its reputation which is a shame because it plays better than starcraft 2 in nearly every conceivable way except perhaps scale and budget. Its mechanics are simply better.
CSM Emperor
Level 2

Postby CSM Emperor » Sat 16 Jan, 2016 1:07 pm

yes buy it but play Elite mod multiplayer, even if i personally dislike some features of DoW 2 i find it good strategic game, having way more STRATEGY than SC2. But Firestorm over Kaurava mod for soulstorm when is complete is best Warhammer 40K.

Return to “Community General Discussion”