Droppod marines

Generic non-balance topics.
Faultron
Level 3

Droppod marines

Postby Faultron » Thu 15 Oct, 2015 3:10 pm

"Drop Pod now spawns an uncrushable drop pod with 500 health that functions as a reinforcement beacon for non-Terminator Space Marine infantry (drop pods from other call-ins remain crushable but do not grant any Global on death), and also Spawns a Tactical Marine Squad."

Spawns a Tactical Marine Squad-lol

why u guys changed SM race, fundemental core gameplay when it was not needed? if SM up somewhere u can simply buff them, but this change is crazy
i am very upset about this change and sad it was approved
Farseer/Doombringer/Falcon/Mindwar IGN: Ypulse
Caeltos

Re: Droppod marines

Postby Caeltos » Thu 15 Oct, 2015 3:25 pm

This is not a new change, and has seen generally been praised by some of the higher-end players, such as Noisy (who has won several MRT)

If you do not like it, you can still refrain from using it, and keep using the old Drop Pod ability. This ability itself offers more playstyle options for the Space Marine player. The previous iteration of the Drop Pod was abit of a niché ability, that also had very akward timings for when models would drop. With the reinforcement potential, you can now at least use some consistency (momentarily) reinforcement if things go sideways.

The change was made to make up for some inconsistency, and to offer a new way to play the Space Marine faction. For an ex. if you skip Tactical Marines, and forego Scouts / Devastators timing builds and aggressions. The Drop Pod now offers a new approach to keep up the pressure with on-demand Tactical Marine spawn, that goes hand-in- hand with the agressive themeatical builds of Scouts / Devastator (Or ASMs if you think it's deemed a neccassity).

I hope you are satisifed with the explanation. If not, too bad.
Odysseus
Level 2

Postby Odysseus » Thu 15 Oct, 2015 11:05 pm

It might not mean much coming from me, but I fricking love the new drop pod. It's quite realistic too, instead of marines appearing out of thin air :P (Like at the base). Oh and did I mention it is bad-ass? Yeah, it is.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 2:32 am

The only gripe I personally have is that I never use the commander drop pod how it is now.
It seems to costs too much req to be effective, you're almost always better off just reinforcing the units and use the red saved elsewhere.

Other people got some good mileage out of the commander pods? Because I can't seem to get it :/
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 9:50 am

Dark Riku wrote:The only gripe I personally have is that I never use the commander drop pod how it is now.
It seems to costs too much req to be effective, you're almost always better off just reinforcing the units and use the red saved elsewhere.

Other people got some good mileage out of the commander pods? Because I can't seem to get it :/

More than I ever did from the now global drop pod, apart from trolling as apo with 5 tacs in 3s. In fact if I Pega hadn't used the new drop pods vs me in 1s I still wouldn't see any point in using them. ;P
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 1:07 pm

you can use the drop pod to dislodge an entrenched position ( since it is a giant metal box falling from space) or to recoup from a really really bad screw up in late t2 early t3. Other than that the cheaper tac is too good to pass up.

IE someone got you good with a nuke.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 1:32 pm

When are you getting any use out of the commander pod thenToil? Besides in 3's with the tac spam?
Where the global pod would actually be better as it helps with the tac spam (cheaper tacs) and reinforces for basically free if you wanted the tacs.

saltychipmunk wrote:you can use the drop pod to dislodge an entrenched position ( since it is a giant metal box falling from space)
it cost 200/0/100 and drops very slow ... Just to dislodge something? :) That's not viable man :)
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 1:39 pm

My experience with the Commander Drop Pod comes from a 3v3 mostly perspective. In late T1/early T2 there should be no reason why you would not rather retreat and reinforce normally, but come late T2 it starts to make more and more sense because it gives you a substantial increase in staying power with out draining your resources too much because reinforcing with the Drop Pod is actually cheaper (if you only lose enough models).

• 1 Tac/ASM model = 75 req
  • 1 Sternguard model = 83 req
  • 1 Vanguard model = 83 req and 8 power

100 red does seem kinda steep but it makes up for the fact that you can reinforce on the field without any vehicle or beacon around. If i really do not want to concede a position to the enemy I call down the Commanders Drop Pod and reinforce fresh models, allowing me to win a fight I might have otherwise lost without having to pay for that extra upkeep that the global Pod comes with.

I hope this kinda makes sense.
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 2:02 pm

Dark Riku wrote:...

Umm I meant to say that I only get use out of the new pod in 3s when I'm spamming tacs. In 1s the old pod was good for reinforcing cheaply and creating a reinforce point. And also for killing doom of malantai's in retreat. ;)

Wait, does it cost 200req and 100red now instead of the other way around? :(
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 2:16 pm

Toilailee wrote:...
Yes.
Commander pod = 200req 100red: reinforces on impact (expect terminators) and acts as a reinforce point. (old pod)
global pod = 350req 100red: same as above + spawns a tac squad.
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 2:23 pm

Dark Riku wrote:
Toilailee wrote:...
Yes.
Commander pod = 200req 100red: reinforces on impact (expect terminators) and acts as a reinforce point. (old pod)
global pod = 350req 100red: same as above + spawns a tac squad.

Well I guess that kinda changes things in the new pod's favor with only 150req difference. Sm, especially TM who I mostly play in 1s, don't usually have much use for red in 1s so I'd much rather pay the 100req and 200red.
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 3:25 pm

Dark Riku wrote:When are you getting any use out of the commander pod thenToil? Besides in 3's with the tac spam?
Where the global pod would actually be better as it helps with the tac spam (cheaper tacs) and reinforces for basically free if you wanted the tacs.

saltychipmunk wrote:you can use the drop pod to dislodge an entrenched position ( since it is a giant metal box falling from space)
it cost 200/0/100 and drops very slow ... Just to dislodge something? :) That's not viable man :)

Well if you are going to use it anyway, might as well use it over a shuri platform so they at-least have to move it using it just to dislodge a position is silly i agree, but it is more of a why not scenario.

in the end it really should just be a 100 req , not 200 req call in.

At 200 req it is several times more logical to simply wait for 350 and drop that on a shuri plat , the cost difference between the two is too small.
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 3:42 pm

saltychipmunk wrote:

Well if you are going to use it anyway, might as well use it over a shuri platform so they at-least have to move it using it just to dislodge a position is silly i agree, but it is more of a why not scenario.

At 200 req it is several times more logical to simply wait for 350 and drop that on a shuri plat , the cost difference between the two is too small.

i think its probably better practice to land it behind your lines, where it can act as a defensive structure, rather than leaving it exposed by placing it in your enemy's lines. having that static source of on field reinforcement is great, gives you way more field presence if you're able to defend it.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 3:54 pm

saltychipmunk wrote:At 200 req it is several times more logical to simply wait for 350 and drop that on a shuri plat , the cost difference between the two is too small.

You will then also have to pay the upkeep for that squad, which can be unfavorable.
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 4:07 pm

saltychipmunk wrote:Well if you are going to use it anyway, might as well use it over a shuri platform so they at-least have to move it using it just to dislodge a position is silly i agree, but it is more of a why not scenario.

No, it is very difficult to get the timing right to use it offensively and reinforce since it requires vision to cast and the drop time is soooo long. Most of the time it's better to use somewhere between your base and the central vp to give yourself a reinforce point for when you soft retreat.
Cheekie Monkie
Level 3

Postby Cheekie Monkie » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 5:57 pm

The commander pod has its uses even when you're not getting the maximum economical value, especially when those few extra models really count. For example, you win a close engagement and lose a tac model and an ASM model. You know you won't win the next major engagement but you want to push your advantage with a hard gen bash. In this scenario, I'd consider using the pod despite the fact that I'd be 'losing' 50 req in the process. At least you get deployable cover and a secondary relay beacon in the process.
Playing truth or dare with Diomedes: You dare? YOU DARE?!
Tinder with Diomedes: THINK YOU ARE MY MATCH?!
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Fri 16 Oct, 2015 8:48 pm

Drop pod is a very cute tool to use. It may give you easy Tacs and reinforcement but also prevents delays timing of Terminators hitting the field.
saltychipmunk
Level 4

Postby saltychipmunk » Mon 19 Oct, 2015 3:46 pm

Crewfinity wrote:
saltychipmunk wrote:

i think its probably better practice to land it behind your lines, where it can act as a defensive structure, rather than leaving it exposed by placing it in your enemy's lines. having that static source of on field reinforcement is great, gives you way more field presence if you're able to defend it.

Well that's no fun...

Return to “Community General Discussion”