Matchmaking for 2.4

Postby Indrid » Sun 17 May, 2015 8:21 pm

2.4 with matchmaking is released!

H Y P E
Dark Riku
Level 5

Re: Matchmaking for 2.3.2

Postby Dark Riku » Sun 17 May, 2015 8:24 pm

I can't help but feel a little responsible :)
Not in doing anything but being that spark that made them try after finding out that one TLS mod has matchmaking.

So freaking HYPED, 1v1 will be alive again!

Praise Holy Myrdal and the rest of the team!
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Sun 17 May, 2015 8:25 pm

Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Sun 17 May, 2015 8:27 pm

Holy shit. Yall are amazing.
Such a kickass mod team :)
Commissar Yarrick
Level 3

Postby Commissar Yarrick » Sun 17 May, 2015 8:44 pm

For this I will give few handfuls of

Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 17 May, 2015 9:12 pm

Yeah the only thing that's sad is that the steam elo won't work for elite - then again twats would probably go on retail or just the 'hack' to boost it artificially anyway.

Oh well, automated MM vs random foes is just freaking epic anyway. I CANNOT WAIT to try this myself. It may instill all the love of DOW that I have had in the past into me again at last.

#hyped
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 17 May, 2015 9:34 pm

Very hyped, but I can only imagine that every game I play will be vs Riku/Toil/Torpid anyway :/
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sun 17 May, 2015 10:01 pm

Swiftsabre wrote:Very hyped, but I can only imagine that every game I play will be vs Riku/Toil/Torpid anyway :/

If the MM works as intended that should not happen though. Hallowed be the mods for doing this though.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Sun 17 May, 2015 11:24 pm

Torpid wrote:Yeah the only thing that's sad is that the steam elo won't work for elite
Why would it not work for Elite? It's just going to use the same system that retail is using, and that should still be the Steam Elo, right?
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Sun 17 May, 2015 11:32 pm

Why would it not work for Elite? It's just going to use the same system that retail is using, and that should still be the Steam Elo, right?

Yea, but isnt current ELO system is broken in retail after servers came ?
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 18 May, 2015 12:15 am

Dark Riku wrote:
Torpid wrote:Yeah the only thing that's sad is that the steam elo won't work for elite

Erm, I'm not sure why I worded it like that. Yeah, like the last poster said, it is just not working for retail either, which in turn means it won't work for elite, most likely. That's a shame. But even if it did work for elite somehow then you'de have the problems I mentioned in my last post anyway.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 18 May, 2015 12:24 am

Atlas wrote:Image

So freaking #hyped.
So hyped that I almost don't care if this patch hits before tourney.

Almost.

P.S. Do you need any more bros to test things out? If so, I'm totally in. PM me if so.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 18 May, 2015 12:31 am

@ Atlas - why no just edit your post rather than double posting a gigantic GIF lol?
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 18 May, 2015 1:43 am

Torpid wrote:@ Atlas - why no just edit your post rather than double posting a gigantic GIF lol?

It was a mistake :<
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Mon 18 May, 2015 2:34 am

Atlas wrote:P.S. Do you need any more bros to test things out? If so, I'm totally in. PM me if so.

Me too!!! :)
Cheekie Monkie
Level 3

Postby Cheekie Monkie » Mon 18 May, 2015 9:31 am

Swiftsabre wrote:Very hyped, but I can only imagine that every game I play will be vs Riku/Toil/Torpid anyway :/

#troof

Hope the player base is large enough to support it is all, hard to find 1v1 in pubs as it is. fingers crossed!
Playing truth or dare with Diomedes: You dare? YOU DARE?!
Tinder with Diomedes: THINK YOU ARE MY MATCH?!
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Mon 18 May, 2015 10:31 am

Cheekie Monkie wrote:

#troof

Hope the player base is large enough to support it is all, hard to find 1v1 in pubs as it is. fingers crossed!

I'll be there to try it out after release, to make sure all the new players will ragequit 1v1 for good.
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Mon 18 May, 2015 3:03 pm

Torpid wrote:Yeah the only thing that's sad is that the steam elo won't work for elite - then again twats would probably go on retail or just the 'hack' to boost it artificially anyway...

Playing isn't required for altering the ELO's of either in game or Steam's. Both are "hacked" the exact same way. The data is stored locally rather than somewhere else. I've inspected it before and it looks very much like an Access database (judging off looks as well as interface interaction).
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 18 May, 2015 8:52 pm

PhatE wrote:
Torpid wrote:Yeah the only thing that's sad is that the steam elo won't work for elite - then again twats would probably go on retail or just the 'hack' to boost it artificially anyway...

Playing isn't required for altering the ELO's of either in game or Steam's. Both are "hacked" the exact same way. The data is stored locally rather than somewhere else. I've inspected it before and it looks very much like an Access database (judging off looks as well as interface interaction).

So does this mean that we could host our own form of ELO's on-site and use that to pit players so similar skill together?
PhatE
Level 3

Postby PhatE » Wed 20 May, 2015 12:07 pm

Couldn't say for sure whether DOW would stop running given some new and unexpected value that it loads every time or we'd have some odd errors show up each time you finished a game like game stats not sending at all given the new values.

If there were a way to have a function inside the mod that exported the game data onto a DB sitting here, for ex, then that could potentially work. But that's a high level overview of what "could" be done. I'm by no means a modder so I'm unaware of what is realistic in this case.

I'm glad though that there is something at least that we can go off of from here :)
Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/phatness_

Since everyone forgets, my timezone is AEST (UTC/GMT) +10 hours. AEDT is (UTC/GMT) +11 hours. Hopefully no-one tells me what time any tournament is on.
Kisuke.
Level 1

Postby Kisuke. » Wed 20 May, 2015 10:32 pm

do you need anymore people to test it out? I'll be willing to help I'm free
appiah4
Level 3

Postby appiah4 » Thu 04 Jun, 2015 8:47 am

This is probably the sweetest thing ever since Nutella.
ALWAYS ANGRY!! ALL THE TIME!!
dTox
Level 1

Postby dTox » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 10:07 pm

Any update on this glorious match-making? Will it also function on MMR, or purely for finding opponents? :)
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 11:44 pm

The matchmaking is part of 2.3.2, which is turning out to be quite a large update. I think Caeltos has settled on all he wants changed now, just a matter of the modders finding the time to put through all the changes and then the changes being tested as much as possible.

It should match based on rating I think, but the game's rating system is pretty muddled and that's not something modders can change.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 12:10 am

Indrid wrote:The matchmaking is part of 2.3.2, which is turning out to be quite a large update. I think Caeltos has settled on all he wants changed now, just a matter of the modders finding the time to put through all the changes and then the changes being tested as much as possible.

It should match based on rating I think, but the game's rating system is pretty muddled and that's not something modders can change.

In retail the game always used the steam elo to determine who you would fight against rather than the in-game leaderboard. However ever since the last relic patch steam elo not only doesn't play a part in who the MM puts you up against but it is no longer tracked either when you win or lose.

How does that affect how the MM will work on elite? Because in retail now you just get put against anyone and everyone and map preferences are meaningless.

Steam elo was always a solid rating. Shame you couldn't get a separate steam elo for elite and retail though.
dTox
Level 1

Postby dTox » Wed 17 Jun, 2015 1:08 pm

Indrid wrote:The matchmaking is part of 2.3.2, which is turning out to be quite a large update. I think Caeltos has settled on all he wants changed now, just a matter of the modders finding the time to put through all the changes and then the changes being tested as much as possible.

Thanks for the reply. As long as we have some kind of match-making in place im happy. Other stuff can come later! Hosting is such a clumsy affair. :D
appiah4
Level 3

Re: Matchmaking for 2.4

Postby appiah4 » Fri 07 Aug, 2015 8:00 am

Does this feature still exist? I tried to use it last night after installing 2.4.2 on top of 2.3.2 and Multiplayer -> Find a Game is greyed out.
ALWAYS ANGRY!! ALL THE TIME!!
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Fri 07 Aug, 2015 10:57 am

appiah4 wrote:Does this feature still exist? I tried to use it last night after installing 2.4.2 on top of 2.3.2 and Multiplayer -> Find a Game is greyed out.

Make sure you have nothing in launch options. You better download and install full version, and make sure you're using new shortcut instead of old one. If you made everything right it should work
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 07 Aug, 2015 4:54 pm

Read the install notes, it's working just fine.
Mr. E Skull
Level 0

Postby Mr. E Skull » Wed 27 Jan, 2016 6:11 pm

Is 1v1 the only mode with a population? Can't seem to find any games in 2v2, and I'm scared of 1v1 because I am a massive scrub.
ABSOLUTELY LIVID

Return to “Community General Discussion”