New caster - Torpid

Generic non-balance topics.
Ven
Level 3

Re: New caster - Torpid

Postby Ven » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 1:54 am

Torpid wrote:
Well how were the sound levels on the second cast? Honesty I'de rather do the voice/video together because that way I dont know what's coming when I view the replay which is better in my opinion. Keeps it more real rather than entirely "idealistic".

nono you're missing what i meant

what i mean is, record your voice in audacity WHILE watching the replay and recording it. that way you can sync up the voice and the video. i never said about recording the replay and then doing the voiceover after you've done recording.

My Twitch where i occasionally stream myself pwning/getting pwned on elite mod, i seem to bounce between the two on a game to game basis. - http://www.Twitch.tv/Venkitsune
appiah4
Level 3

Postby appiah4 » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 9:08 am

Hey that's cool..

P.S. I miss crazyman.
ALWAYS ANGRY!! ALL THE TIME!!
krakza
Level 2

Postby krakza » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 9:16 am

Torpid wrote:
LMFAO. You so get it man. You so get it. I'm a proper Northerner, what more can I say?

I dunno about this dash of camp though. Hmph.

Ayyy, northerners unite! Cumbria here :p

Not to hijack the thread but I feel Torpid and I are in a similar state, as I've recently been trying to do a cast but I'm just not that experienced with any of it. Are there any recommended replacements for Windows Movie Maker, cause I was just going to go ahead and use that, with Audacity recording my audio. Any other recommendations are welcome too!

Any casting tips as well? Like Torpid, I'm trying to jam a lot of information into my casts, perhaps moreso as I'm doing the cast for the benefit of all the very new DoW2 players in my gaming group, so almost everything needs to be expanded on for their benefit.
I literally haven't time to explain everything before the action moves on, and I don't want to kill the momentum by pausing it every 5 seconds. I was thinking of just adding some primitive visual cues over the video and have maybe an extra written summary of things in the description, but I'm unsure.

Cheers
Shas'la
Level 1

Postby Shas'la » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 5:13 pm

Hey, nice to see you casting.

If you're not already using Audacity to record your vocals, I'd suggest switching over to it. It's completely free and lets you do some straightforward editing. There's a bunch of guides out there by people that actually know what they're talking about, like this one;

EDIT: embedding doesn't seem to be working, here's the full link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IWzO0W_PdM
Last edited by Shas'la on Sun 15 Mar, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surprise Attack!
Level 2

Postby Surprise Attack! » Fri 13 Mar, 2015 5:08 pm

firatwithin wrote:Not bad. I felt the Germany in my vains. But looks like your main problem is; you really don't have something to talk while casting. "I've send my Scouts here to cap." and me like "you don't say?!" Don't get me wrong, I was too tired while I was wathing it. You just need a British accent and expeirance IMO.

German? O_o

He's clearly Scottish lol. xD
Maestro Cretella
Shoutcaster

Postby Maestro Cretella » Sat 14 Mar, 2015 11:00 pm

Ven wrote:
Maestro Cretella wrote:
Although I hear about people doing this all the time and there's nothing wrong with it, it's not really necessary to achieve the desired effect. You can do it by recording both in the same file, adjusting gameplay volume using in-game settings and adjusting the mic recording volume itself.

problem with that though is that you cant correct any errors in the video editor afterwards.

What do you mean by "errors" exactly?
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Sat 14 Mar, 2015 11:22 pm

Maestro Cretella wrote:
Ven wrote:
Maestro Cretella wrote:
Although I hear about people doing this all the time and there's nothing wrong with it, it's not really necessary to achieve the desired effect. You can do it by recording both in the same file, adjusting gameplay volume using in-game settings and adjusting the mic recording volume itself.

problem with that though is that you cant correct any errors in the video editor afterwards.

What do you mean by "errors" exactly?

such as the game being too loud or the voice being too loud etc. if you record it as one file, the audio is one single entity and would require hours of work to pick out the voice from the game sounds from a single audio file, basically like taking a piece of music and trying to seperate the vocals from the instumental.

if you record the voice independintly, it'll be a seperate, easy to edit audio file .

My Twitch where i occasionally stream myself pwning/getting pwned on elite mod, i seem to bounce between the two on a game to game basis. - http://www.Twitch.tv/Venkitsune
Maestro Cretella
Shoutcaster

Postby Maestro Cretella » Sun 15 Mar, 2015 5:05 am

Well, as I said, you can achieve the same effect with one audio track if you just configure mic volume and in-game volume, and test it out before committing to a recording. It's actually less work. No editing or syncing necessary.
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Sun 15 Mar, 2015 2:44 pm

Maestro Cretella wrote:Well, as I said, you can achieve the same effect with one audio track if you just configure mic volume and in-game volume, and test it out before committing to a recording. It's actually less work. No editing or syncing necessary.

i guess if you only record one game that might be feasible, but if you fuck up in some way there would be no way of correcting it.

Maestro Cretella
Shoutcaster

Postby Maestro Cretella » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 2:31 am

You just have to configure in-game volume for each game you play and then you're set. I'd rather do that than configure the in-game volume and mic volume for every single video.
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 7:27 pm

Surprise Attack! wrote:
firatwithin wrote:Not bad. I felt the Germany in my vains. But looks like your main problem is; you really don't have something to talk while casting. "I've send my Scouts here to cap." and me like "you don't say?!" Don't get me wrong, I was too tired while I was wathing it. You just need a British accent and expeirance IMO.

German? O_o

He's clearly Scottish lol. xD

Wat? I thought we established this super duper uber important issue: he's northern, Yorkshire, from the north east, not German/Scottish/Uzbekistani.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Tue 17 Mar, 2015 11:19 pm

Maestro Cretella wrote:You just have to configure in-game volume for each game you play and then you're set. I'd rather do that than configure the in-game volume and mic volume for every single video.

i mean... its not hard.

add video file to editor and add it to the video track

add voice file to editor and add it to track

turn down the slider to the left (down) of the videos audio track, keep the voice audio track at 100% and cut off the first few seconds of record at the point where you said "mark" (your audio is now synced)

do any last bits of editing, hit render.

it may be different for different audio editors but thats pretty much a step by step guide on how i use video pad on a basic level (video pad being the editor i recommended to torpid)

if you configure the audio levels for every game then it'll require a bit of trial and error to get it perfect before you go ahead and record the actual video, and even then it might still be louder, and if it is then you wont be able to change it in editing. pretty much all of the youtubers i used to hang out with when i had a youtube channel recorded the voice seprately so it would give them the option to make changes and correct errors in editing in exchange for about 3 minutes more effort in the editor. sometimes you hear TotalBiscuit say "Mark" at the start of his videos, this was him making a reference point for him to sync the audio in the editor later.

Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 2:09 am

Not to interfere with the above discussion of endless utility.

However, I have a new cast at long last!

Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 11:28 am

Watched some of your casts. Expected more analysis, I would say that Maestro Cretella is better at it than you right now. Though you've just started.

Your voice sounds just the way I imagined. Such a strange pronunciation sometimes, to you it probably sounds perfectly fine as well as to most British people, but I am really not used to hearing some words pronounced the way you do.

Now you need to make up your own thing to stand out from other casters and find the perfect balance between your voice and the in-game sounds. I really like how MC puts an awesome picture on his every casted game or how Red Rupee demonstrates the moments of certain squads' deaths which he wasn't able to catch during the casted game.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 2:38 pm

Sub_Zero wrote:Watched some of your casts. Expected more analysis, I would say that Maestro Cretella is better at it than you right now. Though you've just started.

Your voice sounds just the way I imagined. Such a strange pronunciation sometimes, to you it probably sounds perfectly fine as well as to most British people, but I am really not used to hearing some words pronounced the way you do.

Now you need to make up your own thing to stand out from other casters and find the perfect balance between your voice and the in-game sounds. I really like how MC puts an awesome picture on his every casted game or how Red Rupee demonstrates the moments of certain squads' deaths which he wasn't able to catch during the casted game.

Indeed, it is actually more difficult than I imagined! I might have to do a few practice runs and a bit more editing to get the quality right.

I think the analysis would be better if I had watched it before already but then I don't really want to do that as it spoils a certain part of the cast knowing I already know what is coming up next.
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 8:16 pm

We have confirmation:

20:09 - Torpid: LOL
20:09 - Torpid: Technically I am Scottish
20:12 - Swift: Oh yeah?
20:12 - Torpid: He's pulling your frankfurter though.
20:12 - Torpid: by blood I'm half irish, half scottish
20:12 - Torpid: I was only born in Leeds
20:12 - Torpid: to a Scottish dad and an Irish mother
20:13 - Torpid: so I can say "I'm scottish"
20:13 - Torpid: although I'm not a Scottish national as such, blah blah blah
20:13 - Swift: But you're English then
20:13 - Torpid: he's taking the piss anyway, he doesn't even know that lol
20:13 - Swift: But with parents from Elsewhere
20:13 - Swift: Well he though Liam Neeson was from Scotland
20:13 - Torpid: lol
20:14 - Swift: This is going up on the forums now
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Fri 27 Mar, 2015 4:35 pm

Swiftsabre wrote:20:09 - Torpid: Technically I am Scottish

So our children will be Scottish?
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 28 Mar, 2015 4:54 pm

Kvek wrote:
Swiftsabre wrote:20:09 - Torpid: Technically I am Scottish

So our children will be Scottish?

"Your" children will be "Scottish" (only by highland pride)/Kvek.

So Kvek-ish.
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Sun 29 Mar, 2015 1:51 pm

:o :shock: :lol:
RagingJenni
Shoutcaster

Postby RagingJenni » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 2:47 pm

You sound funny and you should feel funny.

!!
"Then he sang softly nigh the pearly rim, But the sad dweller by the sea-ways lone
Changed all he sang to inarticulate moan, Among her wildering whirls, forgetting him"
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 6:58 pm

RagingJenni wrote:You sound funny and you should feel funny.

!!

I do?
RagingJenni
Shoutcaster

Postby RagingJenni » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 7:48 pm

Yeah, it's in the dialect. :)

EDIT: Just saw in the comments that you're from Leeds. I got friends there on a school trip so I'll tell them to keep an eye out for any digimons flying about.
"Then he sang softly nigh the pearly rim, But the sad dweller by the sea-ways lone
Changed all he sang to inarticulate moan, Among her wildering whirls, forgetting him"
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 7:59 pm

RagingJenni wrote:Yeah, it's in the dialect. :)

EDIT: Just saw in the comments that you're from Leeds. I got friends there on a school trip so I'll tell them to keep an eye out for any digimons flying about.

Hmmm, interesting.

Sure thang :D
crazyman64335
Shoutcaster

Postby crazyman64335 » Thu 21 May, 2015 4:33 pm

appiah4 wrote:Hey that's cool..

P.S. I miss crazyman.

me too :(
Toilailee
Champion