New caster - Torpid

Generic non-balance topics.
Torpid

New caster - Torpid

Postby Torpid » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 1:53 am

Yeah. I don't want to make it too formal as I'm not going for the optimisation of generic view-count. It's not meant to be entertainment as much as it is educational regarding DOW. I will at some point bother to get some video editing software and actually edit the videos when I say something really stupid, but it's just a nuisance anyway because you can't just select where to start in a replay anyway for DOW so if I did edit it I'de have to start the replay again and be waiting around...

Basically send me a replay and I will analyse it like Crazyman used to - tell you where you went wrong, some of the biggest mistakes, what key things made the outcome of the game the way it was and maybe suggest some alternatives.

https://www.youtube.com/user/earthfrenzy/videos
ryanhutton08@hotmail.com

I realise the in-game sound is too loud on this first cast for my mic. Will adjust that for the next one.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Flo
Level 1

Re: New caster - Torpid

Postby Flo » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 8:40 am

I think this will be very useful for all players wishing to improve. Going to watch your first replay now ;)
Superhooper01
Level 3

Postby Superhooper01 » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 11:34 am

Great to see and this may also allow for a bit more info for both new and old players tbh
There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 2:46 pm

Looking forward to you casting a replay that has toilailee in it.
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 4:36 pm

sheeeeit
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 7:02 pm

Not bad. I felt the Germany in my vains. But looks like your main problem is; you really don't have something to talk while casting. "I've send my Scouts here to cap." and me like "you don't say?!" Don't get me wrong, I was too tired while I was wathing it. You just need a British accent and expeirance IMO.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 7:11 pm

firatwithin wrote:Not bad. I felt the Germany in my vains. But looks like your main problem is; you really don't have something to talk while casting. "I've send my Scouts here to cap." and me like "you don't say?!" Don't get me wrong, I was too tired while I was wathing it. You just need a British accent and expeirance IMO.

To be fair opening capping orders are actually quite important and mine are rather unique quite a lot of the time. I didn't just say "I sent my scouts there", I said "I sent my scouts there but/because". If you could time-stamp what exactly you're referencing that would help.
Crewfinity
Level 4

Postby Crewfinity » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 7:22 pm

yassssssss

brb sending you every good 1v1 ive got
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 8:21 pm

firatwithin wrote:Not bad. I felt the Germany in my vains. But looks like your main problem is; you really don't have something to talk while casting. "I've send my Scouts here to cap." and me like "you don't say?!" Don't get me wrong, I was too tired while I was wathing it. You just need a British accent and expeirance IMO.

Felt the Germany? He is British....
Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 9:24 pm

it is a lot harder to speak and concentrate than some people might think.

I for one liked your reasoning behind why you do things. Though I am more cerebral, like you.
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Fri 06 Mar, 2015 11:18 pm

i tried casting a little while ago but i never bothered uploading them.

My Twitch where i occasionally stream myself pwning/getting pwned on elite mod, i seem to bounce between the two on a game to game basis. - http://www.Twitch.tv/Venkitsune
dark heretic
Level 1

Postby dark heretic » Sat 07 Mar, 2015 11:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ryRLknsByU

t0rp1d u shud try 0ut f0r f4z3 br4h
#codexissalty
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 07 Mar, 2015 12:18 pm

dark heretic wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ryRLknsByU

t0rp1d u shud try 0ut f0r f4z3 br4h

Lol, mahn, don't even go there. I used to be SO into console gaming a few years back. Halo Wars, Gears of War and COD 4 lyfe.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Sat 07 Mar, 2015 7:19 pm

Indrid wrote:

Felt the Germany? He is British....

Well thats his problem now. Don't get me wrong I liked the cast.
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 07 Mar, 2015 11:30 pm

Blah blah supportive comment about channel. Nice to see another caster, and one who can really help to advise people.

It's also good because that is now another DoW pro whose voice we get to hear. That sounds really bad doesn't it? It's all swings and roundabouts I assure you.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 12:07 am

Just watched the game, where did you get German from? He's obviously from Yorkshire with that accent.

Everybody loves Yorkshire accents, especially yours Torpid, good old northern with a dash of camp :P Better than my posh snobbish voice.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 12:33 am

Swiftsabre wrote:Everybody loves Yorkshire accents, especially yours Torpid, good old northern with a dash of camp :P Better than my posh snobbish voice.

LMFAO. You so get it man. You so get it. I'm a proper Northerner, what more can I say?

I dunno about this dash of camp though. Hmph.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 2:07 am

New cast!

GK vs FC, Crewfinity vs Vapor.

youtube does seem to be taking a while to notch the video up to 720p, anybody know how long that normally takes? Also, I am recording these in 1080p, no idea why they getting downgraded by youtube to 720p...

And don't ask about the intro. I'm just a little bit crazy. But I'm sure y'all know that by now anyway :D
Last edited by Torpid on Sun 08 Mar, 2015 2:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 2:14 am

You can embed videos with a [ youtube ][ /youtube ] (without the spaces) thing around the link.

Looks cool, thanks for the casts!
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 2:18 am

Torpid wrote:
youtube does seem to be taking a while to notch the video up to 720p, anybody know how long that normally takes? Also, I am recording these in 1080p, no idea why they getting downgraded by youtube to 720p...

And don't ask about the intro. I'm just a little bit crazy. But I'm sure y'all know that by now anyway :D

please dont tell me you're uploading the raw footage.

you're going to have to render the videos in a video editor to 1080p 60fps to make sure that youtube displays them. DONT upload raw footage, not only is the file larger and so takes longer to upload, but you also run in to issues like this from time to time.

My Twitch where i occasionally stream myself pwning/getting pwned on elite mod, i seem to bounce between the two on a game to game basis. - http://www.Twitch.tv/Venkitsune
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 2:25 am

Ven wrote:=

you're going to have to render the videos in a video editor to 1080p 60fps to make sure that youtube displays them. DONT upload raw footage, not only is the file larger and so takes longer to upload, but you also run in to issues like this from time to time.

Sorry boss-man-Ven. I'm a scrub at this :P

Like I said, I don't even have a video editor. I will get one... Tomorrow I guess. Which to get?
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 2:36 am

Oh right, you have to only enter the numbers and letters after 'v=' in the URL for the embedding, sorry :P
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 3:28 am

Torpid wrote:
Ven wrote:=

Sorry boss-man-Ven. I'm a scrub at this :P

Like I said, I don't even have a video editor. I will get one... Tomorrow I guess. Which to get?

well a decent free one is called Videopad, which is one i used to use.
it'll tell you its a trial but when you go to uninstall it you'll be able to downgrade to the free version. atleast as far as i remember.

i dont think i've found any other decent free ones, and all the payed ones are like £400+ just for a piece of software, yea no.

while rendering your videos will allow smaller file sizes and resolutions/framerates etc to your liking, rendering takes a LOT of processing power. if i tried rendering on my old laptop that can run DOW2 on the lowest settings at 20~fps then i'd either overheat or take 2-4 hours to render a 20 minute video in 720p 30fps. so it largely depends on your CPU as to how long it will take etc. i know on my FX 8350 4ghz, which is an 8 core processor, takes maybe 10~ mins to render a 5 minute video, temperatures go through the roof. that being said its almost a must for the best audio quality and quicker uploads.

i'd reccomend recording just the gameplay without your voice, and then record your voice using audacity, you'll need to sync up the video and the audio in a video editor but doing this allows you to change the volume of the gameplay, and the volume of your voice independently when editing the video so it eliminates problems like the one you were having in your first cast.

i'd reccomend saying like a countdown to sync up the video. so start recording in audacity first and say "3,2,1, mark" then hit record, and then remove the countdown from the exported mp3 file when you're done recording through audacity.

if you have any further questions just ask me on steam or on this thread.

realself
Level 1

Postby realself » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 10:27 am

Torpid, will you be accepting replays from the less experienced Elite players (provided the replay and its description are interesting)?

If so, your commentary would help point out newb mistakes, which imho could increase the number of Elite opponents that you and others (like Dark Riku) can play a gg with.
Sneery_Thug
Level 2

Postby Sneery_Thug » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 11:33 am

I'm sooo glad to see you casting matches. Every single step is explained (and explained correctly.) I guess only Maestro does it I a similar way in his own 1v1's, but he plays mostly only CS.

I hope you'll cast games guite often!
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 11:57 am

Ven wrote:-

Thanks Ven, will do.

realself wrote:Torpid, will you be accepting replays from the less experienced Elite players (provided the replay and its description are interesting)?

If so, your commentary would help point out newb mistakes, which imho could increase the number of Elite opponents that you and others (like Dark Riku) can play a gg with.

I will. Try to make them fairly interesting though and 15mins is the minimum unless the T1s are really unique/interesting/fast-paced.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 9:14 pm

You don't rage enough while casting and don't hit your desk nearly enough. Other than that, good work.
Maestro Cretella
Shoutcaster

Postby Maestro Cretella » Sun 08 Mar, 2015 10:38 pm

Ven wrote:i'd reccomend recording just the gameplay without your voice, and then record your voice using audacity, you'll need to sync up the video and the audio in a video editor but doing this allows you to change the volume of the gameplay, and the volume of your voice independently when editing the video so it eliminates problems like the one you were having in your first cast.

Although I hear about people doing this all the time and there's nothing wrong with it, it's not really necessary to achieve the desired effect. You can do it by recording both in the same file, adjusting gameplay volume using in-game settings and adjusting the mic recording volume itself.
Ven
Level 3

Postby Ven » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 12:51 am

Maestro Cretella wrote:
Although I hear about people doing this all the time and there's nothing wrong with it, it's not really necessary to achieve the desired effect. You can do it by recording both in the same file, adjusting gameplay volume using in-game settings and adjusting the mic recording volume itself.

problem with that though is that you cant correct any errors in the video editor afterwards.

Torpid

Postby Torpid » Mon 09 Mar, 2015 12:58 am

Ven wrote:
Maestro Cretella wrote:

problem with that though is that you cant correct any errors in the video editor afterwards.

Well how were the sound levels on the second cast? Honesty I'de rather do the voice/video together because that way I dont know what's coming when I view the replay which is better in my opinion. Keeps it more real rather than entirely "idealistic".

Return to “Community General Discussion”