Moddb - Dawn of War 2: Retribution - Elite Mod

Generic non-balance topics.
MaxPower
Contributor

Moddb - Dawn of War 2: Retribution - Elite Mod

Postby MaxPower » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 10:58 am

Hello everyone,

we finally have our own little Moddb (Mod database) site for the elite mod.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dawn-of-war-2-retribution-elite-mod

This will hopefully spread the word about our little mod.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Ar-Aamon
Level 3

Re: Moddb - Dawn of War 2: Retribution - Elite Mod

Postby Ar-Aamon » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 12:27 pm

Cool, thx max.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 4:44 pm

Praise the Omnissiah \o/
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 5:30 pm

The Maxchanicus.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
sterling
Contributor

Postby sterling » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 6:39 pm

Nice work man. Up 550 places to number 88 in just one day haha ;)

What I'd say to perhaps improve the page a little is in the summary at the top add some more detail and pictures about the mod like Edain mod has http://www.moddb.com/mods/edain-mod

Perhaps set it out in sections: New units and improved PvP gameplay, Grey Knights, Elite DLC, New balanced maps, shoutcasts and streams.

As I see it they're the five big "selling points" of the mod, some more than others depending on what people want out of the game, and should be there clearly at the top of the page.

Then perhaps we could get an update from Caeltos about the plans for the next version for the 1st news update (if he has time).

Cheers
Last edited by sterling on Tue 03 Mar, 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
New models for Elite and Retribution...
http://www.dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=397
Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 8:39 pm

liked, reviewed and shared on the EC forums.
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 11:06 pm

sterling wrote:Nice work man. Up 550 places to number 88 in just one day haha ;)

What I'd say to perhaps improve the page a little is in the summary at the top add some more detail and pictures about the mod like Edwin mod has http://www.moddb.com/mods/edain-mod

Perhaps set it out in sections: New units and improved PvP gameplay, Grey Knights, Elite DLC, New balanced maps, shoutcasts and streams.

As I see it they're the five big "selling points" of the mod, some more than others depending on what people want out of the game, and should be there clearly at the top of the page.

Then perhaps we could get an update from Caeltos about the plans for the next version for the 1st news update (if he has time).

Cheers

The problem is, I'm having quite abit of a struggle with the depression still, and my somewhat financial situation. The motivation is pendling and I'm quite undecisive on where I want to go, except for the general idea to furthermore ease up issues and "improve" things to the best of my capabilities. It's a good thing Myrdal and Wise Windu are taking their own initiatve to fix bugs, and improving areas without my knowledge. (This meaning, it's bug related, and improving the immersive experience, so this isn't a bad thing I'm saying)

The patch has been quite in the works, probably around 3-4 months or so, if not more - and I'm quite dissapointed in my own conclussions that I've made, so it's gotten quite abit of a re-iteration. I don't want to release it pre-maturely, because of my condition, I really do want to feel better before I ship something out, so it's not something that I've done purely based out of emotional swings or something alike that.

Something I've come to a conclussion as well, is that I care too much for others rather than look out for my own-well being, however- that is somewhat the cause of my current situation. And that's why I'm more, well - receptive of negativity feedback or something, previously I wouldn't be so bothered, but when you're under the impression you're failing at the thing that makes others happy, that keeps you happy- it becomes a general negative-bad circle that is continously in the back of your head.

So yeah, long story short - patch will come around eventually, but it's going to be refined and polished to the best of the teams ability. Myrdal and Wise Windu are pulling their weight, but I'm currently feeling that I'm not quite performing, it's slow & steady, but rather that then impuslive and reckless.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 2:52 am

No problem bro, take what you need for yourself. It's just a mod for a game no need to wreck your life over it. You probably already know this, but there's plenty of bros here who are willing to talk to you if you just want some warm bodies to have around.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 11:22 am

Okay could all of the acutal members of the mod team create a MODDB account so I could invite them to the mod team on the MODDB site?

Just reply to this here thread with your moddb account and I'll add you.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Cheekie Monkie
Level 3

Postby Cheekie Monkie » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 12:14 pm

I'd like to see the 'official' description change. This is the first time someone might hear of the mod and it needs to be absolutely eye catching. A few changes in paragraphing and wording might help, e.g. from this:

Dawn of War II: Elite is a multiplayer modification (mod) for Dawn of War II: Retribution, which is the de facto Warhammer 40,000 RTS adaptation at this time. “Mod” means that we – the players – have changed, added and removed aspects of the retail game to make it more interesting. Elite was envisioned by Caeltos (you know who he is if you ever played or followed competitive DoW2) as an experimental balance mod for high-level players to test certain tweaks to gameplay balance. However, as THQ cut the official support of DoW2 in their dive toward bankruptcy, Elite evolved into making bolder changes – up to new abilities and units – and ended up introducing an entire new faction; the Grey Knights, based on Bloodravage’s Destroyer 40k mod but designed from a competitive PvP angle.

To something more like this:
Dawn of War II: Elite is a multiplayer mod for Dawn of War II: Retribution. Originally envisioned by Caeltos (a competitive player with a wealth of experience spanning through vanilla to Retribution) as an experimental balance mod for high-level players, Elite evolved into making bolder changes as THQ cut the official support of DOW 2 in their dive toward bankruptcy. The addition of new abilities and units became commonplace, from Space Marine Sternguard Veterans, Eldar Fire Dragons, Chaos Raptors to the Ork Flash Gitz, finalising in the introduction of an entirely new faction - the Grey Knights, based on Bloodravage’s Destroyer 40k mod – all designed from a competitive PvP angle.

Coupled with continuous development and an active community dedicated to casts, coverage and regular events, the Elite mod continues to preserve and enrich the de facto Warhammer 40K RTS to this day.

Reasoning for changes:

Made the opening paragraph less of a mouthful to read as it's vital to capture the reader's interest from the opening sentence.

Provided an introduction for the man who needs no introductions, Caeltos. People might not recognise the name and it makes us sound less ELITEist (pun intended) if we didn't sound like "oh you MUST know who he is darling, anybody who's anybody does".

Added more emphasis to the new units and the GREY KNIGHTS. They're currently situated near the end of the second paragraph, so the reader reads and reads then...WAIT THEY ADDED GREY KNIGHTS? It's the new units which make the game feel fresh again which makes people come.

Added a closing paragraph explaining one of the biggest selling points of the mod - dynamic development and an active, engaging community (we're allowed to lie, lulz). This mod, like the Golden Throne does indeed help keep the game alive and interesting and we should highlight that.

Concerns and plans for the future
Perhaps we should highlight what new units have been added, including how they function? One way to do this would be to have a highlight video of each new unit in action. Warp spiders jumping behind a transport, then have fire dragons move in for the kill? Vengeance round devs + sternguard taking out a vehicle? Showy displays of skill definitely attracts any viewer.
Playing truth or dare with Diomedes: You dare? YOU DARE?!
Tinder with Diomedes: THINK YOU ARE MY MATCH?!
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 12:32 pm

Changed it, just let me know what else i should change, also if you are good at writing stuff like that, let me know and I'll add it to the site.
Cheekie Monkie
Level 3

Postby Cheekie Monkie » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 6:50 pm

MaxPower wrote:Changed it, just let me know what else i should change, also if you are good at writing stuff like that, let me know and I'll add it to the site.

Well this is the first time I've heard of the site (gaming culture is lost on me, I had to research what Kappa meant ffs), but I can certainly help with some of the writing.

A good example in mind would be spotlights on the new units that's been introduced, small articles to whet the appetite of the reader into finding out more. Take for example, the Whirlwind:

Overview
A little bit of fluff and background to introduce the reader

The Whirlwind is an adaptation of the Rhino design, a lightly armoured tank chassis armed with a multiple rocket launcher system capable of raining precision fire down upon enemy positions. The Whirlwind is able to bombard hidden or entrenched targets from behind the safety of cover, softening up a heavily fortified static position or other well defended targets prior to the start of a major Space Marine assault.

Videos
Action shots showing the new unit in action in the fashion of how they're intended to function. Meant to be flashy and dynamic.

Scene 1
Tactical squad is pinned down by havocs and is being slaughtered by blastmaster noise marines and is forced to retreat. Cue scout squad infiltrating and spotting for the Whirlwind. Whirlwind takes its shots, another plasma tac squad moves in and forces the chaos player to retreat.

Scene 2
Lone tac squad fighting off two termagant squads and a venom brood warrior. Cue Whirlwind moving in to take shots and help the tac squad win the firefight.

Developer's/Expert's/Community Insight
A quick paragraph of a quote from an experienced community member detailing why the addition of the new unit enriches the game, makes it more dynamic and interesting etc. This induces the reader into the 'community driven' nature of the mod.

E.g. "The Whirlwind was envisaged as a more mobile artillery alternative to the plasma devastator squad..."
Caeltos, Lead Developer

"Fucking Whirlwind, makes me req starved"
Ven, Total Troll

Tips and Tricks
Welp it's a new unit, but how do you make the most out of it? How do you even use it in the first place?

The Whirlwind is NOT a frontline vehicle unit, so always keep it out of danger and out of the enemy's reach.
The whirlwind is a low damage, high disruption unit. Use it as a support unit in dislodging fortified enemy positions before striking the killing blow with the rest of your army.
Unlike the plasma devastator squad, the Whirlwind does not hit friendly units. Use this to your advantage in supporting your units moving into melee!
Is the enemy vehicle low on health and running away from you? Utilise the Hunter Killer Missile and finish it off!

Additional screenshots
If the reader wants to see more, then they can do so

Close up screenshots of the sexy modelling and texturing
Action shots of a typical skirmish involving the effective use of the whirlwind.

Unfortunately, I doubt that I can record the videos in the vaguest sense of professionalism, but am happy to write additional pieces on units.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 7:41 pm

^ this is gold. Would take a lot of work but could be done.
Cheekie Monkie
Level 3

Postby Cheekie Monkie » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 9:47 pm

On the issue of Caeltos' finance, we could have a PayPal link in there somewhere (not sure if it's against TOC of the site or not)

I'm also an advocate of subscription based services like Patreon, which would provide a steadier form of revenue than one off donations and potentially 'rewards' subscribers with extras.
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 11:05 pm

Cool, thanks Max
MaxPower wrote:Okay could all of the acutal members of the mod team create a MODDB account so I could invite them to the mod team on the MODDB site?
http://www.moddb.com/members/wwindu

Woot, rank 49 :o
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 12:05 am

Okay, added Windu and I'd like to add you too mr. Cheeki Monkey so you can actually write all that awesome stuff.

I guess, I could do the screenshots and vids.
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 8:30 am

Ah finally my wish is coming true. If more people join elite through this moddb page, I would be so happy. Good thing the post I have made on the forums after some frustrations I have experienced within the game trying to persuade more people to play elite brought this kind of good responses. I always knew there would be people who have skills and time to act on it unlike me. :)
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
sterling
Contributor

Postby sterling » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 11:44 pm

Caeltos wrote:
sterling wrote:The problem is, I'm having quite abit of a struggle with the depression still, and my somewhat financial situation. The motivation is pendling and I'm quite undecisive on where I want to go, except for the general idea to furthermore ease up issues and "improve" things to the best of my capabilities. It's a good thing Myrdal and Wise Windu are taking their own initiatve to fix bugs, and improving areas without my knowledge. (This meaning, it's bug related, and improving the immersive experience, so this isn't a bad thing I'm saying)

The patch has been quite in the works, probably around 3-4 months or so, if not more - and I'm quite dissapointed in my own conclussions that I've made, so it's gotten quite abit of a re-iteration. I don't want to release it pre-maturely, because of my condition, I really do want to feel better before I ship something out, so it's not something that I've done purely based out of emotional swings or something alike that.

Something I've come to a conclussion as well, is that I care too much for others rather than look out for my own-well being, however- that is somewhat the cause of my current situation. And that's why I'm more, well - receptive of negativity feedback or something, previously I wouldn't be so bothered, but when you're under the impression you're failing at the thing that makes others happy, that keeps you happy- it becomes a general negative-bad circle that is continously in the back of your head.

So yeah, long story short - patch will come around eventually, but it's going to be refined and polished to the best of the teams ability. Myrdal and Wise Windu are pulling their weight, but I'm currently feeling that I'm not quite performing, it's slow & steady, but rather that then impuslive and reckless.

No worries man, we've all got patience and faith so just take your time. What I meant by update was rather than an update on when the next patch will be due more a summing up of the new ideas you and the testers might have been working on, Whiteshields etch so there's something there for the 1st news post.

Got a moddb account too Max http://www.moddb.com/members/sterling777
New models for Elite and Retribution...
http://www.dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=397
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 7:43 pm

So a guy named Tormenator in the Steam group just made a subreddit for Elite as well. Might be more accessible for some people, but regardless, it's another potential place to talk about Elite, so feel free to post links to casts, forum discussions, or whatever you want Elite related.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dawnofwarelitemod
Sneery_Thug
Level 2

Postby Sneery_Thug » Wed 18 Mar, 2015 9:27 pm

Caeltos wrote:
The problem is, I'm having quite abit of a struggle with the depression still, and my somewhat financial situation. The motivation is pendling and I'm quite undecisive on where I want to go, except for the general idea to furthermore ease up issues and "improve" things to the best of my capabilities. It's a good thing Myrdal and Wise Windu are taking their own initiatve to fix bugs, and improving areas without my knowledge. (This meaning, it's bug related, and improving the immersive experience, so this isn't a bad thing I'm saying)

Something I've come to a conclussion as well, is that I care too much for others rather than look out for my own-well being, however- that is somewhat the cause of my current situation. And that's why I'm more, well - receptive of negativity feedback or something, previously I wouldn't be so bothered, but when you're under the impression you're failing at the thing that makes others happy, that keeps you happy- it becomes a general negative-bad circle that is continously in the back of your head...

Hell, Caeltos, it's not important if the feedback is negative or positive. Per se that there is so much feedback means, that people are bothered with this game. And even those, who are unsatisfied with the balance or content (as myself for example,) they still will play your mod every day, just because -perfect or not - your mod is the very best warhammer game/mod ever. And lately there more and more new players coming. You've pulled it out of the grave. Well, I guess, it's not easy to combine the mod-development with the everyday-life, for that you have to go to relic(sega) or even directly to the GW.) I'm sure, the audience will understand and still appreciate, even if the patches aren't that extensive and wide, as they are now.
Ah, and yes, early spring and autumn cause depression to very many people, not only you - so don't pay too much attention. ;)
Wise Windu

Postby Wise Windu » Thu 07 May, 2015 3:24 am

We have a Nexus Mods page now too.

http://www.nexusmods.com/games/mods/1/? ... d_game=915

I probably forgot some stuff in the description or ReadMe or something. But it was a lot to write, and I pretty much just copied the format from some other popular Skyrim mod :P Any input welcome.
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 07 May, 2015 3:32 pm

I'd put in Arbit and London Duncan into contributers since they made a map or two.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.

Return to “Community General Discussion”