My experience with the game

Generic non-balance topics.
bibotot
Level 2

My experience with the game

Postby bibotot » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 2:08 am

Now, I got into this game because Indrid cast. It's not as fun or strategically good as Company of Heroes 2, but it still has some great moments. Here are the lists of them. My main race is Imperial Guards, or I would like to call Astra Militarum because I play the tabletop too and can't beat them.

WTF?! That's ridiculous. Noooooo!
- So many Space Marines player. I am tired of fighting them at this point.
- Mirror match up.
- People keep asking me which race is good and which is evil.
- Let the Galaxy Burn. Troll balls.
- Somebody drops a Rocket Run on me.
- Vehicle management. For some reason, in the future, tank turrets rotate even slower than on WW2 tanks.
- Sticky click. Got extremely annoyed with this one at first.
- Bad teammates. Hold the line, dammit. Just hold the line.
- Imperium vs Chaos. There are 3 Imperial factions (or 2.5), and 1 faction dedicated to
- 2. You know what I am talking about, when someone says he is being doubled. I would never say this and just retreat my troops out of there. If I were to say, I would Shift + Enter and say something like "stay in your lane, fucker".
- Bad hosts. Afk, kicking for no reason, switching people's slot as though they are some sort of God.
- Sentinel keeps getting hit by friendly. And he keeps shouting enemy Guardsmen attacking.
- Calderis Refinery. If you get pushed back, the opponent can push forward and lock you in your base.

Sweet Jesus! That was awesome:
- Noize Merheens! CAN YOU HEAR ME?!
- Me dropping a Rocket Run on the enemy. This gets even better when accompanied by "Damn, that's my whole army" or "Good job, my most trusted teammate. You have won us the game. I am forever in debt of you".
- Overwhelming fire power. Oh yeah. 8-) 8-) 8-)
- Order vs Disorder.

Anyone here wants to share his or her gaming experience with Elite mod? Post below, let me know.
Sturnn
Level 2

Re: My experience with the game

Postby Sturnn » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 9:35 am

bibotot wrote:It's not as fun or strategically good as Company of Heroes 2, but it still has some great moments.

Fun is totaly personal feeling about game. For me DoW 2 is much better than CoH 2 becasue it is fucking Wh40K.

Strategically good - please explain. Mechanics are kinda the same in both games. Even if sth was improved in CoH 2, how the fuck you can compare 4 years old title with almost new one? :d
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 1:28 pm

COH2 can never be as strategically good as DOW2 elite mod because of all the RNG...

I don't like COH. Obviously the WW2 aesthetic is not as appealing as the WH40k one, but I mean game-play mechanics wise. The maps are too big and the games last way too long. Rushes are not viable enough considering how long the games can drag on for. It just turns into such a gigantic campfest all the time, even in 1v1. Skirmishes feel like work because unlike in DOW, there's not too much you can do to influence them. Yes, I know there is cover in COH but compositional positioning and skill-shots exist to a much lower extent than they do in DOW. Either make it so that I can rush people and develop a serious macro strategy before the game even starts and then implement it with uber APM and practice, like in SC2, or take that away from me and force me to adapt utilising superior tactics and nice precision based micro like DOW. In the former case units die fast and often and actual micro in battles is not the be all and end all, but to compensate the economic micromanagement is more important. In the latter case units die slower, but losing just one in an otherwise even game can cause a tremendous snowball effect that causes GG, hence you need great precision with your micro and positioning even if your APM need not be as high. COH has neither of these. The economic micromanagement is non-existent, the positioning of units within battles is not anywhere near as important as DOW, in fact, positioning in general I find a bit less important but I imagine that's due to the sheer size of the maps.

Add in the endless amount of RNG in the form of mortars, vehicular artillery, armour penetration. Ugh, no way man, pretty shitty RTS.

But from a gameplay perspective I really do like the way in which gaining points on the map creates your "territory" and you can have your supplies from said points blocked from reaching you if your territory becomes isolated from your HQ. I really like that mechanic.

Also, from a non-gameplay perspective its sound effects are terrific :)
Last edited by Torpid on Wed 25 Feb, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Sturnn
Level 2

Postby Sturnn » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 1:44 pm

DoW 2 was created on the base of CoH but they made it faster, more intresting. Thats why I like DoW and with Elite Mode its even more fun to play. But overall, mechanics like armour penetration for AV weapons, covers, destructable environment etc are kinda the same
Caeltos

Postby Caeltos » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 1:50 pm

What Torpid said.

The RNG in COH2 is so frustrating for the most part. I don't understand why the community in that game is so forcefully trying to force into an competetive enviroment when it has so many elements in the game going against it. It's almost as ridicilously RNG as Hearthstone.

I don't understand why they want so many cases of RNG with scatter mechanics, accuracy modifier based on range and everything. It becomes so blurry and causes so many inconsistancies, and you don't even have the bloody information avaiable on your screen to make the best use out of a unit, unless you indulge yourself within the modding tools to look up information, or be active in the forums to find out all the information that you need to furthermore improve your game.

It's so questionable and odd. They wouldn't need to be specific if there wasn't so many various modifiers to take into consideration when you pick your fights, or build your X or Y units to counter A or B. I still find it's a good game when you've got time to kill.

There is no armor penetration in this game Sturnn. In CoH2, the % in order to get a penetrating shot on a vehicle is the armor penetration value (140 ex. divided by 325) = 43% chance to penetrate. DOW2 has a much more simplified mechanics, and it makes things more predictable and less RNG'y
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 1:55 pm

Yeah, to clarify, I see COH2 more like DOW1. The fights can be quite bloody epic and the nice graphics and very nice sounds make them even more epic and in that regard it is a good game. Still, it's not really made to be a competitive RTS as such. It's certainly not something I'de invest 3600hours into playing.

Unlike DOW2 :D
Sturnn
Level 2

Postby Sturnn » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 1:59 pm

Caeltos wrote:There is no armor penetration in this game Sturnn. In CoH2, the % in order to get a penetrating shot on a vehicle is the armor penetration value (140 ex. divided by 325) = 43% chance to penetrate. DOW2 has a much more simplified mechanics, and it makes things more predictable and less RNG'y

Sorry, unfortunate chose of words. I meant that av weapons get throught vehicles like paper in comaprison to lassguns etc. As you said, in DoW it is simplier like stone scissors and paper game which is better imho.

Torpid wrote:Yeah, to clarify, I see COH2 more like DOW1. The fights can be quite bloody epic and the nice graphics and very nice sounds make them even more epic and in that regard it is a good game. Still, it's not really made to be a competitive RTS as such. It's certainly not something I'de invest 3600hours into playing.

Unlike DOW2 :D

Oh my friend, I had to disagree. DoW 1 was much more skillfull game than CoH, CoH 2 or DoW 2. There word ,,rush" meant sth becasue you could have end game in few minutes (well executes Flayed Ones dropp into SM base for example). More micro was needed there imho. Please remember that DoW 1 with Winter Assualt was on WCG once. No other Relic game was able to repeat it.
BaptismByLoli
Level 4

Postby BaptismByLoli » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 2:26 pm

Being Doubled and Doubling someone is not only a pretty important deal in both CoH and DoW 2 but also a sound strategy ~_~
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 5:07 pm

I have to be slightly concerned with your pown concerns. Firstly don't think anyone here is telling you you are wrong, your enjoyment is subjective and whilst it looks like everyone's beating on you for preferring CoH 2 it's just because they prefer DoW II :P

My concern is mostly down to the way you seem to hate people using the same mechanics you like against you, like the Rocket Run. You love using Rocket Run but when someone else uses it on you it makes you hate the game? That's a pretty stupid reason to hate a game, because everyone can use the same mechanics.

CoH 2 is just an RNG playground where you can take your Panther brigade for a spin and a laugh, but it's not competitive because of this RNG. Territory makes for an interesting mechanic, but cutting off sectors is still an iffy one for me, considering I main Ostheer I find that territory is never in my hands early game so if someone cuts off what little territory I have. The firefights are just annoying because you have no feedback as to how they will end up, there are vague rules of engagement like Grenadiers are best kept at range, but you have no health indicator apart from an arbitrary bar (susceptible to critical hits), random weapon accuracy and increased damage up close. I like the way DoW II has this feedback element, I know when my units can engage and I like the fights because it isn't a case of either spamming SMGs to win up close and dirty (I disagree with the existence of shock troops) or spam Maxims and sit in buildings because the suppression counters ealry on cannot possibly reliably counter suppression.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
bibotot
Level 2

Postby bibotot » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 5:49 pm

I don't want to fuck all people who reply to my post, but I am not all pleased either. READ THE TITLE, for the sake of the Emperor. This is not a post to discuss between Coh2 and Dow2. Anyone from this point who brings up the subject again is a sorry-assed misbegotten bitch who has nothing good to say. I never thought Dawn of War community is as toxic as Dota 2.

:x :x :x :x :x

I don't hate Dawn of War 2. I love it. A lot of what I say comes down to better strategy employed by my opponent, but some of them are just annoying bits which I would love to see improvement.

Only one guy so far has posted something resembling what I expect to see.

I am asking, what are your good and bad experiences with Dawn of War 2 retribution Elite mod?
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 6:55 pm

Anyone from this point who brings up the subject again is a sorry-assed misbegotten bitch who has nothing good to say.

"Hey people, Indrid here, 1v5, Elite mod forums, blue team: We have Bibotot..."

Sorry Bibotot ;) It's all fun and games I assure you.

If you mention CoH 2 on a DoW II forum, well what do you expect? It's like selling Manchester City shirts outside Old Trafford, it's going to get all sorts of the wrong kind of attention and comparisons made. Also if you call us bitches with nothing good to say, well I know at least two people here who I value the opinions of tactically speaking, and it's just manners too :P
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
egewithin
Level 5

Postby egewithin » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 9:06 pm

I might have a lot of things to say but I won't. Cause nobody cares about it.

I just want to thank to the Emperor for giving us this amazing world.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 9:56 pm

firatwithin wrote:I might have a lot of things to say but I won't. Cause nobody cares about it.

I just want to thank to the Emperor for giving us this amazing world.

Lol. I agree.

Thank the Emperor.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Wed 25 Feb, 2015 10:06 pm

I resent the mirror match comment. That's when you see the craziest viable strats :P
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Thu 26 Feb, 2015 2:29 am

Atlas wrote:I resent the mirror match comment. That's when you see the craziest viable strats :P

In IG mirrors?

Nah, they're lame. Sentinels do way too much work, it's daft. The frag missle fights in T2 are silly too as well as the leman fast techs.

Ork/Nid mirrors are still the coolest.
Lichtbringer
Level 3

Postby Lichtbringer » Sun 01 Mar, 2015 11:10 am

Not to beat a dead horse, but I like Dow2 and CoH2 the same :D (Warhammer40k still cooler then WW2), and I would have thought many people here agree. In the end, DoW2 and CoH2 are much more similar then everything else out there, we have to stand togethere :P

I agree that CoH2 has RNG problems (tanks surviving because of criticals, mines having a chance for heavy engine damage), and that you really do have to dig trough the forums/files to find out optimal engagement ranges, it is still fun in an a bit different way and requires other skills to be good at.

Now for my experiences with Dow2^^:
-Just today, my nade knocked some guardsmen out of retreat, trololol.

-I also don't like Mirrorgames (EldarvsEldar). I am not exactly sure why, but one part of it is definitly that I don't want to fight my own kind, we have to stand together against the SM hordes. Another point may be that the Eldar trickery is just to strong^^. Also in 3v3s a Eldar mirror makes me use lame buildorders )=

-I fucking agree with let the galaxy burn, knocks my units out of the shields, knocks them down, and burns them. (But I won't say anything about balance, before I try to dodge it better :P)

-Who cares about Imperium vs Chaos, Xenos for evaaar.

-Fighting IG, those freaking Sentinels (also Sentinel Missles, they make me crazy) and costeffective Guardsmen (T1). On the other hand, the joy of watching a manticore barrage going into an energyshield, doing nothing. And then using the Warpspider with Claws to hunt that Manticore down. Muhaha. Or using WG to get retaliation on the Guardsmen.

-I feel a bit bad for using Eldritch on my enemys... only a bit :D

-killing Melee walkers with a Falcon. slow but effective.
krakza
Level 2

Postby krakza » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 1:39 pm

bibotot wrote:- So many Space Marines player. I am tired of fighting them at this point.

Better get used to it. Unfortunately ungodly amounts of Space Marine spam pervades through every element of 40k, not just DoW2. :(
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 7:49 pm

krakza wrote:
bibotot wrote:- So many Space Marines player. I am tired of fighting them at this point.

Better get used to it. Unfortunately ungodly amounts of Space Marine spam pervades through every element of 40k, not just DoW2. :(

I'm slowly starting to take advantage of this fact and am getting some pretty solid anti-SM builds going on. The big exception to this is that I'm having a hard time in IG vs SM, but I think I'm getting close on that.
Sturnn
Level 2

Postby Sturnn » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 10:33 pm

Atlas wrote:I'm slowly starting to take advantage of this fact and am getting some pretty solid anti-SM builds going on. The big exception to this is that I'm having a hard time in IG vs SM, but I think I'm getting close on that.

Well, last time we played vs each other in 2v2 ur build was pretty nice. You missbuilded 2x catachans but with spotters it would be very hard to counter :)
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Wed 04 Mar, 2015 4:30 am

Lol I remember that game. It still wasn't completely a washout, but that game could have gone better. Gotta save my "special tactics" double catachans for other mu's :P
Superhooper01
Level 3

Postby Superhooper01 » Thu 05 Mar, 2015 6:37 pm

Ha well i can sum up the last 3 games i played

- Game 1 goes as LG makes 3 guard who survive right to the end:O
- Hive gets double zoans against me to punish me for trying to use guard...
- Hive takes out my manticore with a t3 lictor...
- i use 2 set up teams with LG sniper rifle with 3 guard meaning i hear ALL UNITS FIRE ON MY MARK alot during the game and the din of auto-cannons
- My gk ally loses a lot but gets 3 pugation with psy cannons so goes all gam-dam style on the ork player
- i have a heavy turret, tank, bunker and tons of made structures which all get rocked by u guessed it ork rocks:p

-Game 2 i chose mekboy and face hives swarm again hooray!
- Hive gets 2 tyrant guard to troll me and i get them down to half health they go into shield wall as i drop a rocks on them...both survive to which i say HERESY!
-get a battle-wagon and with the red colour scheme it GOES FASTER!
-After being informed by my weird-boy that the tyranids were shooting worms at him i made a tactical play and doubled the enemy sm player with my sm ally and broke the stalemate on that nasty natural vp on Goliath depths.

-Game 3 join apublic looby as im trying to be less of a dick to new players and have a 35min game:o
- Get to use a baneblade,rocket run, manti and generally all the things i rarely get to use:o
-Win the game with a rocket run...shots firedXD
There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."
Surprise Attack!
Level 2

Postby Surprise Attack! » Sat 14 Mar, 2015 6:05 am

krakza wrote:

At least my Space Marines are unique: Marines Malevolent!

Return to “Community General Discussion”