Maps for july's monthly rumble

Generic non-balance topics.
Eerie

Maps for july's monthly rumble

Postby Eerie » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 5:53 pm

Hey guys, I'd like to add some maps to the map pool. The general concept I came up with (backed by some feedback I've received) would be:

Ashes of Typhon
Calderis Refinery
Calderis River
Fedrid Folly
Green Tooth Gorge
Pale Tooth Gorge
Ice Station Obelis
Judgement of Carrion
Leviathan Hive
Quests Heresy
Siwal Frontier
Green Tooth Jungle Redux

I'd like to know your oppinion about it, which maps you'd like to add or remove from the map pool. Please elaborate as I don't want to make any wrong choices.

The mappool have been decided and is showed below.
Alright folks, seems the discussion have died out, so I'm going to conclude it here.
As for the july's Monthly Rumble Tournament, the mappool is as follows:

Ashes of Typhon
Calderis Refinery
Fedrid Folly
Green Tooth Gorge
Ice Station Obelis
Judgement of Carrion
Leviathan Hive
Quests Heresy
Siwal Frontier
Green Tooth Jungle Redux
Last edited by Eerie on Wed 17 Jul, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Torpid

Re: Maps for july's monthly rumble

Postby Torpid » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 6:05 pm

I would request the removal of carrion simply because it's a very small map that greatly favours offensive commanders and certain races (tyranids/chaos) over others (eldar/ig). Also carrion has the most ridiculous retreat paths ever.

Catachan fortress and sector 95 IMO are playable maps, but I don't really have an argument to say they should be part of the map pool as such...

Oh wow I didn't notice calderis river the first time I saw the map pool. No that map is no good, way too many buildings, a bit too tight as well, not great for tanks and the like, and too good for set-up teams. I think catachan fortress would be a good substitute for calderis river.

P.S the natural req point on calderis river is really stupid, half of it is covered by the base turret half isn't. That really ought to be slightly less natural.
Last edited by Torpid on Mon 01 Jul, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 6:22 pm

fuck judgement of carrion butt ugly, and shitty. Other maps are fine expect for the Calderis tiny river
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 6:22 pm

Well I dislike calderis river cos it has garrisons at every chokepoint and powerfarm. Abusing them with devs can make it a nightmare especially for nids or orks who are lacking on their t1 garrison counters.

And I dislike OR cos 3caps are impossible in it and it always leads to 30+ min games. Also vehicle pathing is horrible there.

But thats just me, every1 loves OR. qq :cry:

I like joc. (or at least got no issues with it)
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 6:23 pm

OR is a great map
JuhwannX
Level 1

Postby JuhwannX » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 7:42 pm

Ashes of Typhon - Nothing wrong here. Great 1v1 map, and the 2v2 version isn't half bad.

Calderis Refinery -See Ashes of Typhon.

Calderis River - Hmmm... It's ok. If I had to say this had to be added, I dont' think I'd lose an arm. Units that could place invisible explosives would have a field day on that map, due to the bridges.

Fedrid Folly - Same as Ashes.

Green Tooth Gorge - Solid-ish 1v1 map. The buildings on this map can make all capping be a massive pain in the ass, and I'm not a big fan of that as you'll need some form of flamer or nade to deal with this.

Pale Tooth Gorge - No. Just no. I had it be an option in my tournament, and I really saw how this map isn't that great. Due to some of the scenery, and the fact that it's just as less lively Green Tooth Gorge.

Ice Station Obelis - Not a very good map. It has some strategy to it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it go. I'm not a big fan of how the enemy can see me coming and see what I've bought by just sitting near my power. So gen bashes are hard to defend as your enemy can SEE you coming.

Judgement of Carrion - FUCK this map with the biggest fattest dick you could fuck a map with. It's so freaking dark, has awful retreat paths, so small, and just not a good map.

Leviathan Hive - Pretty good 1v1. Apparently it's beautiful according to Codex :P. But in all seriousness, not that bad.

Outer Reaches - Hated by the community for the long games that it has, but I like it. I think that people complain too much due to it being almost perfectly balanced for both sides unlike maps like Green Tooth Gorge, where if you get knocked off the map for 5 seconds you're basically fucked, in terms of map control. And really the "long games" that you get from this map aren't really "long". Compare the matches on this map to matches of Dota 2, or even CoH/CoH 2, and then you'd stop complaining about long matches here.

Quests Heresy - Perfectly fine 1v1 map. Very solid.

Siwal Frontier - Solid 1v1 map. Slightly favoring races like SM's and the like, but nothing too bad.

Green Tooth Jungle Redux - Pretty solid map. I think that people really wouldn't mind playing on THIS VERSION of the map, compared to the original. For obvious reasons.

Maps I think that should stay/be added:
Ashes of Typhon
Calderis Refinery
Calderis River
Fedrid Folly
Green Tooth Gorge
Leviathan Hive
Outer Reaches
Quests Heresy
Siwal Frontier
Green Tooth Jungle Redux
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Mon 01 Jul, 2013 8:16 pm

Pale Tooth Gorge probably shouldn't be used in its current state as it has floating objects and some other issues which were fixed, but we're still in 2.1. If 2.2 is out by the time this happens it would be better to use.

I don't understand the people who complain about JoC being "too dark". You need to brighten your screen if that's the case, I can see things perfectly fine. It's darker than other maps sure, it's on a freakin' space hulk. But it's not "too dark" to see.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Tue 02 Jul, 2013 3:39 am

i cannot see any of the points to click in the fog of war. i have no issues on non JoC maps, with videos, or anything else.. if anything your gamma is to high.
JuhwannX
Level 1

Postby JuhwannX » Tue 02 Jul, 2013 4:10 am

No other map has had me have to seriously look for my power node. Luckily enough Req points keep the yellow tint, in the middle, but power nodes are freaking impossible to see on that map. You have to look around with your cursor, JUST to see the things. It's really one of the worst maps in the game. Terrible retreat paths, way too good for weapons teams (The insta-suppressing Havoc has a field day on this map) Really cramped, and just too damn dark.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Tue 02 Jul, 2013 5:24 am

i would have less issues with the 1v1/2v2 JoC if they put area lights around the points so i could shift click orders in fog of war.
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 12:30 am

There is nothing wrong with JoC.
Adjust your settings. Like Indrid said before.

I wouldn't include catachan Fortress since the top has the advantage with those garrison.

I would also remove OR. For the same reasons already stated.
And it just generally favors melee armies by a lot.
Due to retreat paths and the LoS blockers everywhere.
Wurgl
Level 1

Postby Wurgl » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 12:40 pm

i agree with all of rikus points.

ill state my 2 cents based on juhwanns post, as he's got some structure already.

JuhwannX wrote:Ashes of Typhon - Nothing wrong here. Great 1v1 map, and the 2v2 version isn't half bad.

ashes is bad designwise - you have the left hand choke with 2 VP points which is a nightmare for tanks and setupteam heaven and you have the right side of the map with 1 vp and a huge part of no mans land. the center only has 1 power node and there is zero reason to ever go there unless you wanna get tothe enemy farm quickly. Basically this map is capping galore and you rarely get proper fights. but i guess its not terrible so including it wont hurt too much

JuhwannX wrote:Calderis Refinery -See Ashes of Typhon.

I dislike this map a lot, but i guess its accepted as one of the "good" 1v1 maps so should be included

JuhwannX wrote:Calderis River - Hmmm... It's ok. If I had to say this had to be added, I dont' think I'd lose an arm. Units that could place invisible explosives would have a field day on that map, due to the bridges.

shit map. pls dont.

JuhwannX wrote:Fedrid Folly - Same as Ashes.

currently the best 1v1 map in the game imo

JuhwannX wrote:Green Tooth Gorge - Solid-ish 1v1 map. The buildings on this map can make all capping be a massive pain in the ass, and I'm not a big fan of that as you'll need some form of flamer or nade to deal with this.

great map, buildings are shit, but overall its great

JuhwannX wrote:Pale Tooth Gorge - No. Just no. I had it be an option in my tournament, and I really saw how this map isn't that great. Due to some of the scenery, and the fact that it's just as less lively Green Tooth Gorge.

i also think this doesnt offer much over gtg, also looks worse

JuhwannX wrote:Ice Station Obelis - Not a very good map. It has some strategy to it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it go. I'm not a big fan of how the enemy can see me coming and see what I've bought by just sitting near my power. So gen bashes are hard to defend as your enemy can SEE you coming.

quite the opposite actually, gen bashes are way too easy since you can baselock the enemy with 1 setup team. also the vp setup is way too convenient for autarch/wse/etc play. its not terrible, but not good either, can leave it in i guess

JuhwannX wrote:Judgement of Carrion - FUCK this map with the biggest fattest dick you could fuck a map with. It's so freaking dark, has awful retreat paths, so small, and just not a good map.

Judgement is a good map. retreat paths arent "good" or "bad". they are just retreat paths and if you misjudge them, you will get owned, no need to blame the map. it is small, but since it has many corners and edges etc, the paths on it are still long. i would definitely include it

JuhwannX wrote:Leviathan Hive - Pretty good 1v1. Apparently it's beautiful according to Codex :P. But in all seriousness, not that bad.

not that good, not that bad. its basically the same as calderis refinery.

JuhwannX wrote:Outer Reaches - Hated by the community for the long games that it has, but I like it. I think that people complain too much due to it being almost perfectly balanced for both sides unlike maps like Green Tooth Gorge, where if you get knocked off the map for 5 seconds you're basically fucked, in terms of map control. And really the "long games" that you get from this map aren't really "long". Compare the matches on this map to matches of Dota 2, or even CoH/CoH 2, and then you'd stop complaining about long matches here.

omg stop with your dota already such comparisons are utterly senseless

OR is kinda stupid, dow2 is balanced around the fact that you can achieve tripple caps so a map where tripple caps are impossible screws with game balance very very directly. i you include it, i think its mandatory to include a map ban aswell

JuhwannX wrote:Quests Heresy - Perfectly fine 1v1 map. Very solid.

exactly this

JuhwannX wrote:Siwal Frontier - Solid 1v1 map. Slightly favoring races like SM's and the like, but nothing too bad.

exactly this (not sure about SM part)

JuhwannX wrote:Green Tooth Jungle Redux - Pretty solid map. I think that people really wouldn't mind playing on THIS VERSION of the map, compared to the original. For obvious reasons.

i still think gtj retail is better, but the map is okay

so, heres my list:

must-include:
fedrid
GTG
siwal
quests

should-include:
calderis ref
JoC
GTJ

can-include:
hive
OR
obelis
ashes

pls dont:
pale tooth gorge
calderis river

could also add legis to "can-include"
Eerie

Postby Eerie » Wed 17 Jul, 2013 7:04 pm

Alright folks, seems the discussion have died out, so I'm going to conclude it here.
As for the july's Monthly Rumble Tournament, the mappool is as follows:

Ashes of Typhon
Calderis Refinery
Fedrid Folly
Green Tooth Gorge
Ice Station Obelis
Judgement of Carrion
Leviathan Hive
Quests Heresy
Siwal Frontier
Green Tooth Jungle Redux

Return to “Community General Discussion”