army lvl 25 considered beginner? since when?

Generic non-balance topics.
Ven
Level 3

army lvl 25 considered beginner? since when?

Postby Ven » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 5:14 pm

dont mind me just venting a bit

so i joined a 3v3 game, we did the game and my team lost, but it was a very close game, if it wasnt for a couple of engagements we would of won. so when we went out to the lobby screen i got kicked, when i joined back in and asked why i got kicked he said "you're a beginner" so since when was 200 hours on the game and army lvl 25 classified as beginners? and why was he fine with me being there the first time? its not like the lobby said anything about no beginners or noobs, but i dont consider myself a beginner or noob.

so is this guy an idiot, or am i really considered to still be a beginner?

like i said dont mind me im just venting, i just wish people put a "army lvl## required to join" on their lobbys so this shit doesn't happen.

My Twitch where i occasionally stream myself pwning/getting pwned on elite mod, i seem to bounce between the two on a game to game basis. - http://www.Twitch.tv/Venkitsune
Commissar Vocaloid
Shoutcaster

Re: army lvl 25 considered beginner? since when?

Postby Commissar Vocaloid » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 5:24 pm

Ven wrote:dont mind me just venting a bit

so i joined a 3v3 game, we did the game and my team lost, but it was a very close game, if it wasnt for a couple of engagements we would of won. so when we went out to the lobby screen i got kicked, when i joined back in and asked why i got kicked he said "you're a beginner" so since when was 200 hours on the game and army lvl 25 classified as beginners? and why was he fine with me being there the first time? its not like the lobby said anything about no beginners or noobs, but i dont consider myself a beginner or noob.

so is this guy an idiot, or am i really considered to still be a beginner?

like i said dont mind me im just venting, i just wish people put a "army lvl## required to join" on their lobbys so this shit doesn't happen.

A lot of the time, army level means little. There are people who have 2000 hours and 60's across the board, and you'd wonder how (in consideration of their skill). You also have the opposite end of the spectrum, where you can have some pretty decent players who have relatively little experience in DoW 2.

That being said, there is some information that can be gathered from relative game experience and army level. If for example, you have only one army that is 20+, it can be judged that - in general - you might have fairly limited knowledge of how certain things go in the game; whether that be counters, certain mechanics, how you work your micro/macro skills, etc. From my own relative experience, and having played just over a year, I can say that 200 hours is still very fresh. Especially for Elite. Even though you may feel like it was a close game, for other players, it may have been a question of how much you really contributed to that "close game". The reality may be that they did a lot of carrying, and that you did not really bring much to the table - can't say for sure, as I was not there.
Twitch: commissar_vocaloid
Tex wrote:Torpid + Riku sittin in a tree, A-R-G-U-I-N-G, first comes opinion, then comes a bias, then comes a never ending loop of philosophical retorts in response to childish finger wagging.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 6:12 pm

200h is beginner in my books. 2k is where someone is clearly serious about the game.

Of course it's not a factor in skill though, it just indicates dedication and potentially knowledge via experience.

Think Vocaloid hit the Nail on the HEED though in his post. You likely thought you performed better than you did.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 8:54 pm

2000 hours is just :O to me. I've had Elite for about half a year or so and I've only clocked in between 300-400 hours. I'm not going to pretend that I'm way better than my army levels or anything but I'd like to think I wouldn't be kicked from a lobby for newbness unless there's some pretty high-end players in lobby.
Swift

Postby Swift » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 11:36 pm

Both really, you are new at 200 hours (I know, it take a while) and the guy who kicked you is a dick. People do that when they lose, they get huffy about it and kick the one who they believe failed. It is also possible your saw yourself better than you were in reality, but that doesn't matter, since learning comes and you won't necessarily know it, but you will find you get better. You are a beginner, and skill comes at a different pace, you may find in 200 hours time you are playing with the likes of Red Beard, Super Hooper and others in 3v3s, or you may be finding your progression is stunted. Take me for example, I am not a good player, my skill is very low for 600+ hours, I am a beginner, I know that. I have friends with 100-200 hours fewer who easily outclass me, but I am an anomaly, you cannot have so many hours as me and still be bad like me. :)

Just keep playing, there is much to learn, you may be surprised. Just avoid lobbies with dicks in them. :P
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Kvek
Level 4

Postby Kvek » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 11:45 am

levels nor hours played mean anything.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 5:14 pm

Usually ppl with significantly more hours are better. Not always but usually.
#noobcodex
RagingJenni
Shoutcaster

Postby RagingJenni » Fri 29 Aug, 2014 11:29 am

Army level and hours are completely pointless. I used to have DoW 2 running for like 5 hours a day just so I could jump in and get a quick match when I felt like it, meaning that my hours are not indicative of much.

at least they gave you a chance to show what level you were on.
"Then he sang softly nigh the pearly rim, But the sad dweller by the sea-ways lone
Changed all he sang to inarticulate moan, Among her wildering whirls, forgetting him"
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 10:01 am

Kwakalot, you don't mean anything here with your stupid remarks. The amount of played hours means one thing. It shows how much time you are in business, how much you have seen. Granted it can't clearly define a player's skill but it indicates his dedication and experience. Levels mean something too, you tool. It shows what races are preferable. How are you supposed to understand who you are up against if you completely discard his statistics? If you see someone for the first time the only intel you can acquire about this player is his levels and time spent. And then only after you've played some games with this player you can determine his real value. And in most cases players with >1000 hours and high levels at least know what they do. I've never seen a really bad player with impressive statistics.

Army level and hours are completely pointless. I used to have DoW 2 running for like 5 hours a day just so I could jump in and get a quick match when I felt like it, meaning that my hours are not indicative of much.

You are an exception rather than a rule. Very few do this thing and it is incorrect to discard players' statistics only because some of them being idle and the count of their in-game hours never stops. In fact I know only one guy who has 10000 hours (even more now I suppose) in the game because he rarely bothers to turn his PC off. But he is a really good player at the same time.

And level 25 is a beginner, that is for sure. The community of this game is mostly filled with veterans. Newcomers are seen but they don't stay for long.
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 30 Aug, 2014 11:36 pm

So I am not the only one who calls him Kwak...

I think your remark on newcomers not staying is not well researched, they stay, but they need some guidance first.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Flash
Level 3

Postby Flash » Sun 31 Aug, 2014 1:02 am

Additionally your post was insulting, and there was no call for it. We need MORE players, not less. Your attitude does nothing to encourage them to say.
Flo
Level 1

Postby Flo » Fri 05 Sep, 2014 10:23 am

Just keep playing and you will get better. Especially if play 1 vs 1's, you will start to understand how your race works so much better compared to team games.
Sub_Zero
Suspended

Postby Sub_Zero » Fri 05 Sep, 2014 2:23 pm

Especially if play 1 vs 1's, you will start to understand how your race works so much better compared to team games.

If you play a race in team games you understand more about its performance in team games. If you place a race in 1 v 1 games you understand more about its performance in 1 v 1 games.
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 05 Sep, 2014 5:16 pm

I amend that to playing the faction in team games lets you get to grips with the various skills/combos/playstyles, whilst playing it in 1v1 will let you explore it more and hone your skills with it.
Superhooper01
Level 3

Postby Superhooper01 » Wed 10 Sep, 2014 8:30 pm

de ja vu often calls his rooms high level players so at least u know hes good/serious etc
There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."

Return to “Community General Discussion”