Poll: Would you enter the Phat T beginners and pros 2v2?

Generic non-balance topics.

Would you enter the Phat T? (Beginners and "pros" 2v2 tournament).

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 22
Swift

Poll: Would you enter the Phat T beginners and pros 2v2?

Postby Swift » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:08 am

Phat E came up with a very interesting suggestion recently so I am now advertising it more. I think the name it fairly catchy too if that helps.

2v2 tournament where a beginner gets given a number from 1 to 16 where each number corresponds to a certain "pro" player. They then play as a team in the 2v2 against 15 other such teams. So far looking at fixed positions to start with so players don't just get hammered in the first round because they randomed lanes against pros, though the lanes are not fixed all game.

If you don't like sharing with someone worse than you, this isn't your tournament, but if you like the idea of getting mixed up with those you would never normally play with, please give your feedback. :)

There will no doubt be some discussion about who is counted a "pro" and who "beginner". So far I would say pro is anyone not a beginner, question is, where do we draw the line? This is up to the public to decide but will be finalised by TGZero and myself as well as Phat E and Red Beard if not clear.

P.S. Phat T stands for Phat Tournament, also sounds a little like his name.
Last edited by Swift on Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Re: Poll: Would you enter the Phat T beginners and pros 2v2?

Postby Ace of Swords » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:15 am

This post is gonna receive alot of elitist hurr durr replies.

But face it, in a case like this whoever receives the worst mate loses, this has been observed in many pubs games and wouldn't work at all for a tournament.

And before I hear some stupid reply about me, I've played with alot of newer players with and against and helped them getting better, but imo, this isn't gonna work for something like a tournament, unless it's done in a fully "for fun" mindset.

But then again, if you went for fun, why do it in a tournament.
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:22 am

The intention is fun, it isn't so much competitive yet it isn't some random event, it is a tournament in the sense of players compete against each other for top spot, a good way of organising it. Plus there might be biscuits for the winners :P

I don't hold anything against you, the feedback is welcome which is why the poll exists. Thanks for your thoughts.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 9:14 am

Yah at least for me this would be purely for the lulz.
#noobcodex
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 12:35 pm

Well to be fair biscuits for winners of a tournament in which the chance of winning is more randomised than ever before is precisely what the teeny-weeny competitive scene of DOW doesn't want.

Not totally against the idea though, however I will never participate in a teams tournament again in my life.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 2:12 pm

Sorry, but there won't actually be biscuits. I lied. Perhaps games though. We shall see.
BaptismByLoli
Level 4

Postby BaptismByLoli » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 2:36 pm

If this was for the lulz with no prize at stake, I'd support this. If it were for a Tournament, I'm against the idea since it feels 'weird' for me so to speak.

Not to mention a whole new array of administrative problems to deal with and so forth.

Hard to explain it really.
Swift

Postby Swift » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 6:11 pm

It seems people would rather it be for the lulz, so perhaps then consider the word tournament as only a way of calling it, it isn't a tournament in a true sense. So no one wants biscuits?
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Thu 21 Aug, 2014 10:11 pm

Hell yeah I'd be down for this, I've got a friend who plays on and off and depending on the time this would be great. I wouldn't be interested if it's some random noob though.
Fas est ab hoste doceri
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 1:22 am

For what it's worth, I also would play in this. I still agree with the general sentiment that it'd be pretty lulzy though.
Tex
Level 4

Postby Tex » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 5:33 am

I think it would be pretty fun.

If the date works, I will play
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 5:44 am

Don't give them false hopes Tex. Something always comes up :p
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 8:10 am

Hehe. Such is the life of a family man :)
#noobcodex
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 8:33 am

We all remember MRT #9 ;) Good thing you didn't watch the Milty stream ;) ;) ;) ;)

It is just for the lulz if anyone is asking, it would be unfair to have prizes given on a random basis.

@Broodwich well depends which one of you two you would consider the pro.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Sat 23 Aug, 2014 4:13 am

Swiftsabre wrote:We all remember MRT #9 ;) Good thing you didn't watch the Milty stream ;) ;) ;) ;)

It is just for the lulz if anyone is asking, it would be unfair to have prizes given on a random basis.

@Broodwich well depends which one of you two you would consider the pro.

random is by definition neither fair nor unfair.
RagingJenni
Shoutcaster

Postby RagingJenni » Sat 23 Aug, 2014 12:37 pm

"I was shackled to a corpse."

/Random pr0 after this tourney

I like the idea of this. If you want a more cerebral and calculated model instead of the old random teams you could rank everyone in the tournament with a number, lets say 1 to 32, then you fold the metaphorical list together to create teams. The nr1 ranked player would play with nr 32, nr 2 with nr 31,nr 16 with nr 17 and nr 15 with nr 18. They use that system for matchups in dragracing, amongst others, but it could be used to create teams.
"Then he sang softly nigh the pearly rim, But the sad dweller by the sea-ways lone
Changed all he sang to inarticulate moan, Among her wildering whirls, forgetting him"
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 23 Aug, 2014 5:21 pm

RagingJenni wrote:"I was shackled to a corpse."

/Random pr0 after this tourney.

I have expected someone to bring that up. Of course someone will say that, but then the kind of people who enter will likely not be the ones who will complain because they are doing it for the lulz, so I would be surprised to see someone really have a go at their teammate, because if you will, the event is wrong for you. Of course there will be moments when you hate what your partner did, but it should be expected that they worse than you. Just have to live with it. As a reminder to anyone who likes to skim read important things, let me put it in bold:

If you do not like a potentially incompetent teammate and are not a lulzy person it is advised you do not play in the tournament.

RagingJenni wrote:I like the idea of this. If you want a more cerebral and calculated model instead of the old random teams you could rank everyone in the tournament with a number, lets say 1 to 32, then you fold the metaphorical list together to create teams. The nr1 ranked player would play with nr 32, nr 2 with nr 31,nr 16 with nr 17 and nr 15 with nr 18. They use that system for matchups in dragracing, amongst others, but it could be used to create teams.

I am sorry, whilst the idea stands as reasonable, please can we not. :/ It complicates things because we have to rank people and I cannot nor even with a few other people reliably do that, it is also not universal as each rank has no equal skill gap between it and the two middle players of each part of sixteen will likely come out better than the best and worst together because the worst cannot be carried all of the time.
RagingJenni
Shoutcaster

Postby RagingJenni » Sat 23 Aug, 2014 5:38 pm

Oh, its your choice OFC how to run it, was merely a suggestion. Tho I would be interested in seeing that model used just for seeing what team would win. Maybe 15 and 16 and the balance there works out, or maybe 2 and 31 have a 2v2 pr0.

Sadly it would probably be completely random, as the rankings wouldnt be done accurately enough. And it is a whole lot of extra work.

As to the angry pr0 hates teammate thing, maybe rules about manners should be placed? Would suck if this was advertised as a happy go lucky fun time tournament and some new player just ends up feeling like crap because his teammate keeps on berating him for every mistake he makes.
"Then he sang softly nigh the pearly rim, But the sad dweller by the sea-ways lone
Changed all he sang to inarticulate moan, Among her wildering whirls, forgetting him"
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 23 Aug, 2014 6:48 pm

I know it was :P Still I have to tell you. :P

If players are rude then yeah, they shouldn't play and should be nice, I don't want them, the tournament is as you say for fun and laffs.

Return to “Community General Discussion”