New to Elite

Generic non-balance topics.
Arcuran
Level 0

New to Elite

Postby Arcuran » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi, so it has been forever since I played dawn of war 2, I used to love the game, but haven't played in a long time now, I do play a fair amount of SC2, so I am okay at strategy games. Anyway, I discovered the elite mod via youtube videos, and they 3 vs 3's looked awesome, so I am just looking for some advice about getting back into DOW2 with the elite mod, how do you recommend starting, vs AI? I am just worried about jumping into game and letting my team down since I don't remember 99% of the units of keybinding

Anyway, thanks in advance :)

Arcuran
ChrisNihilus
Level 3

Re: New to Elite

Postby ChrisNihilus » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 3:15 pm

Basically my story.

My suggestion is to watch some games on Youtube first, from channels like Indrid Casts and Maestro Casts.
I started from those videos, just to understand what to do.
Find some games with players using the heroes you want to use and follow what they are doing.
Then a few game vs IA just to memorize the keys and commands, and then some Beginners 3v3.

I suggest you to add the DoW2 Elite Beginners group on steam for knowing when some beginners' game are on.
"This quiet... offends... SLAANESH!"
Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 6:37 pm

make sure you realize that many players have thousands of hours playing the game. Don't get too frustrated with losing. It happens.

1. PLEASE LET PEOPLE KNOW YOUR NEW!!!!!!!!!!
2. Join the steam chat and advertise your "newbie" game
3. Practice 1v1 as much as you can. It is the single best way to focus and practice. team games are so chaotic and you can be attacked by so many different angles and what not. I wouldn't suggest it.
4. After a good 1v1 battle post your replay and some of us can give you tips.
5. stick with one race and try to really understand it.
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Arbit
Level 3

Postby Arbit » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 7:40 pm

If you haven't already, you may want to enable gridkeys in the options menu. This will put all your unit abilities on QWERTY rather than scattering them all over the keyboard.
My 1v1 map - Imperial Plaza. Revisions are in progress so please check it out and give feedback!
Arcuran
Level 0

Postby Arcuran » Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:05 pm

Thanks for all the replies so far :) I have had a few ai games already, sticking to space marines, since that's who I played when I used to collect 40K ages ago, but yeah, found myself losing units far too often :S an well, I shall practice and join the steam group :)
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 1:36 am

This group and this group. Whilst you are at it I am hosting a beginners tournament on Saturday that will be streamed on Twitch, so you can watch there for tips.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Arcuran
Level 0

Postby Arcuran » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 3:40 pm

So just saved my first game vs expert AI, I won because AI isn't good, but I was wondering if you could all give me some advice on how to improve and stuff :)

I realize I probably made a lot of mistakes, and my build order isn't good, and I accidently built and whirlwind instead of a razorback, yeah, I suck hard.....
Attachments
2p_hive_city.2014-07-17.15-32-48.rec
(329.79 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Element
Level 3

Postby Element » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 6:42 pm

make sure you realize that many players have thousands of hours playing the game. Don't get too frustrated with losing. It happens.

1. PLEASE LET PEOPLE KNOW YOUR NEW!!!!!!!!!!
2. Join the steam chat and advertise your "newbie" game
3. Practice 1v1 as much as you can. It is the single best way to focus and practice. team games are so chaotic and you can be attacked by so many different angles and what not. I wouldn't suggest it.
4. After a good 1v1 battle post your replay and some of us can give you tips.
5. stick with one race and try to really understand it.

Gorilla's post sums it up quite well.

There's nothing more frustrating than getting in a match where your ally is very new to the game which singlehandely will result in a game loss because they can't pull their weight. It's different being out-played...most people have played against everybody 1 time or another but generally you have regulars to play alongside.

My advise very much goes alongside Gorillas
1. Find a group of new comers and begin playing together. This in itself will make the game more enjoyable for you. As you will all be around the same level of gameplay, and you will also begin to form a nice clique that when your all playing together will come to have more enjoyment than playing with strangers because you know each other. Get on T.S. talk with one another. There's no point in playing any game if your not playing with people you like or have no sense of idea who they are.

2. Play every race and character and find out which feels right for you.. I know Gorilla said pick one race and get good at it... and that is true, but Honestly, you want 3 races. This way you and the people you are playing against dont get bored of playing as or against the same race all the time. This will help improve your knowledge of the different factions as well in what they are or are not strong against. You also need 3 commanders if you want to enter tournaments later down the line so having 3 is perfect.

3. 2v2s and 3v3s are the games where micro, map awareness, and micro at times, aren't as necessarily stressed because of how you are split into thin lanes or gathered in large groups. You will develop everything in 1v1s that you need to carry you. Moreover if you haven't learned how to keybind your hotkeys, I'd advise doing so, because hotkeys make for a huge difference in micro.. And the best way to learn the hotkeys is to play against an AI in 1v1s for a little while until you become somewhat confident with the key locations.

4. While you can post replays of yourself... I personally found the best way to learn was to make a notepad and put down everything I was learning from engagements, to set ups, to builds, strengths and weaknesses of commanders and units. I always been the type of person where, only by truly coming to breakdown what you see yourself and bring it in to your own terms will you truly understand how to improve. So ideally as an example

You play SM
write up what you know generically are the strengths and weaknesses of SM
-then go deeper and write up on the commander you play
-then go deeper and dwelve into specific match-ups, and begin writing down what you know is very strong and struggles hard against that faction/commander
- keep going until you've played them all and have a mainstay idea about playing against each of the factions
- Finally begin to brainstorm builds that might work against them, from my knowledge there is always a safe build for each faction against any faction, but when you get to become a stronger player, you will find yourself sometimes going outside that because you have knolwedge to know that while something may not be strong in t1 later down the line with knowledge that I will be bringing out a said unit, then this unit will become a very strong unit to have on the field/with upgrades in time.

Hope this helps, and WELCOME :D
"The meaning of life is to have purpose, and the purpose of life is what you choose to make of it, in addition to what you come to understand along the way."

"Because I choose to."

"The humble person knows not everything, nor nothing at all, but certainly something worth knowing."
Arcuran
Level 0

Postby Arcuran » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 8:59 pm

Wow... That is a hell of a post, thank you all so much for being so welcoming and for all the advice, I will be checking out the beginners tournament this weekend, and I have been doing a lot of games vs AI, I will hopefully find some other beginners over the next week to start some 1v1's

I enjoy space marines at the moment, not sure which commander I like the most, which factions do you guys feel are the most/least noob friendly?
Dark Riku
Level 5

Postby Dark Riku » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 9:10 pm

We have to goo deeper after microing twice on point 3 ;)

Arcuran wrote:I enjoy space marines at the moment, not sure which commander I like the most, which factions do you guys feel are the most/least noob friendly?
IMO Chaos is the most noob friendly race as the CL or PC.
sterling
Contributor

Postby sterling » Thu 17 Jul, 2014 9:26 pm

Good to see lots of fellow noobs around, welcome to the forums. Just hang around the beginner group chat and try to arrange some games, I'm hosting quite a few 1v1s at the moment.
New models for Elite and Retribution...
http://www.dawnofwar.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=397
xbsnguy
Level 0

Postby xbsnguy » Fri 18 Jul, 2014 1:52 am

I've messaged you! Hope to play a few games together!
BaptismByLoli
Level 4

Postby BaptismByLoli » Fri 18 Jul, 2014 2:12 am

Don't forgot to save the replays so you can learn from them ^^
Vokk
Level 0

Postby Vokk » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 4:38 pm

G'day folks,

I'm in the same boat as Arcuran. I've been steadily playing DoW2, DoW2:CR and DoW2:R since release but never focused on trying out multiplayer (I used to play CoH on multiplayer so I'm familiar with the micromanagement of units etc). After watching a heap on Indrid Casts (I'm a huge fan of the faction wars!) I think it's time to get my feet wet and give this mod a whirl.

My biggest concern was if there is a newbie community out there and if there was support for AI - which after reading this post it sounds like it does.

Also, just want to say a huge thanks to Gorilla for those tips / hints. I think I'm confident enough to at least try it out and see how it pans out. It's a fantastic game and I'd love to get right back into it.

Thanks again and hopefully we'll be playing real soon.

Cheers,

Vokk
Swift

Postby Swift » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 9:40 pm

Then I feel obliged to at least invite you, from there you can find others of similar skill level and learn from there. This is my (Ryan's) group, we host games, I host tournaments and you can meet others there who are int he same boat.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Vokk
Level 0

Postby Vokk » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi Swiftsabre,

I really appreciate that! I'll need to download and install the mod this evening, but I'll join the group and we'll go from there.

Thanks,
Vokk
Commissar Vocaloid
Shoutcaster

Postby Commissar Vocaloid » Wed 30 Jul, 2014 5:21 pm

Discreet wrote:Don't forgot to save the replays so you can learn from them ^^

This is good advice. I still do this very frequently, especially to see where I've screwed up in games.
Twitch: commissar_vocaloid
Tex wrote:Torpid + Riku sittin in a tree, A-R-G-U-I-N-G, first comes opinion, then comes a bias, then comes a never ending loop of philosophical retorts in response to childish finger wagging.
Nuclear Arbitor
Level 5

Postby Nuclear Arbitor » Thu 31 Jul, 2014 4:39 am

don't bother saving them if you know where you screwed up though; you won't learn anything.
Commissar Vocaloid
Shoutcaster

Postby Commissar Vocaloid » Thu 31 Jul, 2014 5:08 pm

Nuclear Arbitor wrote:don't bother saving them if you know where you screwed up though; you won't learn anything.

That's not entirely true. You can also save a game to see how other plays build and how/when in regards to eco. It's the same reason why someone might be interested in OBS'ing a game, except not in real time.
Tex wrote:Torpid + Riku sittin in a tree, A-R-G-U-I-N-G, first comes opinion, then comes a bias, then comes a never ending loop of philosophical retorts in response to childish finger wagging.
Commissar Vocaloid
Shoutcaster

Postby Commissar Vocaloid » Thu 31 Jul, 2014 5:08 pm

Commissar Vocaloid wrote:
Nuclear Arbitor wrote:don't bother saving them if you know where you screwed up though; you won't learn anything.

That's not entirely true. You can also save a game to see what other plays build and how/when in regards to eco. It's the same reason why someone might be interested in OBS'ing a game, except not in real time.
Dalakh
Level 2

Postby Dalakh » Thu 31 Jul, 2014 5:11 pm

The best games to study are generally those where you feel like you did well and still got stomped. Then it's a good idea to study your opponent's play to see where he outplayed you and took the advantage.

Return to “Community General Discussion”