"The community" and DOW3

guymandude
Level 1

"The community" and DOW3

Postby guymandude » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 8:12 am

Long time fan - played original dow, dow2, and elite (although sucked at all of them). I haven't played dow3 yet, and just found out yesterday that it has been released.

I was wondering what the elite players think of dow3. Do you believe most of them will stay away? Or will most of them gravitate to dow3?

I'm trying to figure out what to do with this new game, and "where the community is at, or is likely to be" with respect to it.

Thanks.
Impregnable
Level 4

Re: "The community" and DOW3

Postby Impregnable » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 10:53 am

"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
guymandude
Level 1

Postby guymandude » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 11:04 am

Had already seen that.
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 12:21 pm

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3062

Don't think u should care about what other people think. Nothing is barring you from installing both elite mod and dow3. Playing one game doesn't mean completely ditching on another. Those arguments you see about DOW3 is nothing compared to that craziness that happened when SC2 came out in South Korea. I have experienced that madness and can tell you one thing. People will argue over and over and over and over again but in the end those who wanna play dow2 or 1 will stick to it and those who wanna play dow3 will play it. And lots of people will just switch in between from time to time when you get bored of one or feel nostalgia for the other.
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
guymandude
Level 1

Postby guymandude » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 1:33 pm

Had seen that link too. It really doesn't answer my question though, and it's old-ish. I'd just like to know what the 'community consensus' is, whether a good portion of the community will play it (or is playing it), what they think, etc.

I agree, and disagree, that I should care about what other people think :) Since I'd have to spend my hard-earned money, and since I don't like to support shit, I'd like to know if this thing is any good, if it's gonna go anywhere, etc. I trust the opinion of this community to a certain extent - certainly at least more than some random guy leaving a forum post somewhere. At the same time I trust myself too, and don't mind making my own decision, or disagreeing with this community. But having said that, I have to start somewhere. Currently, I have no decent starting point on making an assessment. Sure, I've watched a handful of videos, read a handful of reviews (all no doubt PAID ones so they don't count). But I don't have much to go on. I'm just trying to know what the community assessment is, so I can factor that into the mix.

Heck, since you seem to be the only one who has posted so far, you might as well tell me what you think. Send me a PM?
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 5:08 pm

guymandude wrote:Long time fan - played original dow, dow2, and elite (although sucked at all of them). I haven't played dow3 yet, and just found out yesterday that it has been released.

I was wondering what the elite players think of dow3. Do you believe most of them will stay away? Or will most of them gravitate to dow3?

I'm trying to figure out what to do with this new game, and "where the community is at, or is likely to be" with respect to it.

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhEusT5JfUI

Indrid made a video of the community's opinion on this

But also take in mind this

http://steamcharts.com/app/285190

After one month the game dropped daily players by roughly 90% and there was a "huge" balance patch yesterday, the playerbase didn't increase a bit, it's still bigger than dow2+1 but ask yourself if it's worth 60€ for that and only 3 factions, I'll also PM you my unrefined conclusions from the beta.

It's also worth noting that the game launched WITHOUT a ladder (which has just been implemented with the aforementioned patch and no observer's mode), some people also report troubles with replays on their official forums, this just to show how much "care" they put into this.
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Thu 01 Jun, 2017 11:00 pm

That's pretty sad to see. :?
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 1:18 am

Only 4 times the number of players playing DOW3 than DOW2 in the last 4hours. God sake...
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Zeno
Level 1

Postby Zeno » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 11:47 am

A fair chunk of DoW 2 Elite players have migrated to DoW 3 I would say. But not as much as you would expect, especially considering that by now only the most devoted DoW fans are left, and they would have been much more likely to buy DoW 3, assuming it was any good. Many people who I have seen playing DoW 3 seem to have played it for a bit and then left it, which suggest a lack on longevity. Not surprising when you consider the lack of content and lacklustre campaign. By and large the Elite community seems disappointed with the game, and I'd include myself in that group. The only thing that appeals to me is the increased player numbers, as Elite is pretty dead, but even that seems to be a disappointment.

Wait for a sale, a good one too, it's what I'm doing. Judging by the player numbers you won't have to wait too long, 50% discounts are already appearing.
Broodwich
Level 4

Postby Broodwich » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 3:28 pm

Oh look, the game that everyone but gorbles said would be shit is shit.

I'm just waiting for 20$ sale. Not long now :)

Edit: I will say I'm happy that relic puts out open betas without pre-order. They have saved me from wasting my money on coh2 and now dow3. It might not make them money, but proves to me that someone over there has a conscience
Fas est ab hoste doceri
kataklysmkx
Level 0

Postby kataklysmkx » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 5:08 pm

This game has been a disaster(Dow 3), the steam charts speak for themselves, aggregator reviews are in the 70's at this time and that was being generous. Steam reviews were insanely negative, people are seriously not happy with the game and alot of the positive reviews that I have read are talking down, trying to dismiss the negative review reactions which is even more insane.

If you think about it logically, project in your mind how this game would be in 6 months- a year from today, and you know 100% its a dead man walking.

Even if they release a ton of dlc and content and stuff beefing up the game, the fundamental damage will still be there, it looks cartoony, mediocre, gutted.
Arbit
Level 3

Postby Arbit » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 9:17 am

I like it. Looking around on the DoW3 forums and the Gamereplay forums, there are quite a few good players that I recognize like VindicareX, Dadokasin (sp?), Guruskippy, ParanoidKami, Dullahan, and some others. Everyone likes to take a giant shit on the game here, so unsurprisingly, people that like the game don't exactly flock here.

Honestly, trying to combine elements from two polarizing games like DoW1 and DoW2 is just a recipe for disaster. The DoW2 people are pissed that they don't have the joy of trying to convince a group of retarded children to stand on the correct side of a waist high cover wall, and the DoW1 people are pissed that there aren't 40 different buildings and you don't have the privilege of requisitioning each squad member's weapons and mustache cream. Hardcore fans of both prior games are united in feeling that DoW3 doesn't have enough of their favorite game in it - that it has been dumbed down, gutted, whatever - because you've only got a partial feature list from each respective game.

If you accept it as its own entity, I think it's pretty good. There are some rough edges but I think with a few patches and an expansion it will be something great.
My 1v1 map - Imperial Plaza. Revisions are in progress so please check it out and give feedback!
Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Sat 03 Jun, 2017 10:31 am

yes if you like elites wiping armys with lil to zero effort than yes its your gameImage
"Does the Seer see its own doom!?" -Tau commander
2torpid4u: You still haven't sucked my big pink nipples Agu :(
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 9:04 am

I like it, i don't really understand the criticism. The game is fun. The elite system means that there is still a Need to intensively micro past the army size that I can do that easily. It is pretty difficult but it is fun.

I am a bit devastated about the player numbers though, if you struggle to do well in relic
Multiplayer games then i would wait to see that player numbers comfortably stay above a 24 hour peak of 2500. Below that there is a lot of mis-matching of Skill even in custom games. I nearly bought COH2 in the sale this weekend just to have enough opponents.

Will probably take a good dlc such as a popular race release to manage good Numbers.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 10:08 am

What this game needs first and foremost is a good balance team that does not echo popular demand to satisfy disgruntled unimaginative kids that don't know how to counter Ranger spam e.g.
Second, microing away from Elites is sometimes extremely hard if you consider the travel time of some abilities (Machas spear or Weirdboys zapp e.g.) that are able to devastate infantry units. They fixed it somewhat in the recent patch but some Elites are just bonkers OP and did not even get a proper look at (Kyre e.g.). Next up is the lack of content and room for creativity. While in Dow2 for example you were able to win with numerous strategies, at high level, it seems you are forced into the same build over and over again. Just watch Cataclaw and listen to what he says. The game is purely won on micro and macro timings if you watch closely. The lack of game modes and the horrible horrible HORRIBLE UI are also a big no-no. Aspiring to be eSports and you don't even implement a functioning replay system or observer mode, that is just crazy-talk to me.

I think one of the most important reasons why many people dislike this game so much is that they get/got so little for so much money. It was simply a rushed money-grab so SEGA/Relic could meet their deadlines with the release and they are not doing a lot to rectify that (or so it would seem).
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 9:31 pm

DoW 3 is much better after the last balance patch. Might take another or another after that until I actually recommend the game though. They are still missing features in the game and it's not really 'complete' yet.

Single player people are the majority of sales and once those numbers are down it will keep going down until it stabilizes with those playing multiplayer. Multiplayer needs more balance adjustments and features like observer mode so we can have proper casted tournaments or a replay system that shows the correct doctrines.

What problem do you guys have with the UI? I use it everyday and have no problem with it.

I prefer DoW 2, but DoW 3 has a playerbase. Basically DoW 2 is fast paced and tactical while DoW 3 is slower paced and strategical. I like fast paced and tactical :)

The haters are just hating btw. Ignore them and listen to rational people who list reasons and give their own opinion.
Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 9:46 pm

yes those 1000 players are what gonna keep dow3 alive Kreygasm
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 9:54 pm

Around 2500 and slowly rising since patch. Quit hating.
Deflaktor
Level 2

Postby Deflaktor » Sun 04 Jun, 2017 11:58 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:Basically DoW 2 is fast paced and tactical while DoW 3 is slower paced and strategical.

I feel its the opposite in terms of pace.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 12:14 am

Deflaktor wrote:
Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:Basically DoW 2 is fast paced and tactical while DoW 3 is slower paced and strategical.

I feel its the opposite in terms of pace.
Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 12:16 am

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:Around 2500 and slowly rising since patch. Quit hating.

https://i.imgur.com/EGsQd8H.png that sure looks like 2500 players and rising Kappa
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 12:22 am

lel I saw the game had less than a 1000 players at some points so yea who konws maybe necrons will make the game alive again or just break it haha
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 2:59 am

Aguxyz wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/EGsQd8H.png that sure looks like 2500 players and rising Kappa

You just picked a moment it was low. Quit trolling.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 3:01 am

It's not the opposite... DoW 2 had fights in multiple places across the map non-stop the entire time. DoW 3 is just sitting around until the next push and then having a burst of micro. I'm talking about 1v1.
Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 5:38 am

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:
Aguxyz wrote:

wot that was like at 6-8 pm EU time stop being a delusional kid
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 4:44 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:
Aguxyz wrote:

Let me pick a moment when it truly was low

Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 11:19 pm

Aguxyz wrote:
Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:
Aguxyz wrote:https://i.imgur.com/EGsQd8H.png that sure looks like 2500 players and rising Kappa

You're the one acting like a kid with the insults and excessive hatred.

Regardless of the numbers for when it's high or low, that's just who's online at the time and not the total unique number of players who play the game.
Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 11:55 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:
Aguxyz wrote:
Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:

Regardless of the numbers for when it's high or low, that's just who's online at the time and not the total unique number of players who play the game.

i have not insulted you in anyway you're just blind to the truth, total unique number of players maximum keks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Yk2IjxHLQ when a game thats like 10 years old has a bigger player base than a game that was just released a month ago, im sure dow3 will have a good future Kappa
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 1:21 am

Aguxyz wrote:
Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:
Aguxyz wrote:wot that was like at 6-8 pm EU time stop being a delusional kid

i have not insulted you in anyway you're just blind to the truth, total unique number of players maximum keks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Yk2IjxHLQ when a game thats like 10 years old has a bigger player base than a game that was just released a month ago, im sure dow3 will have a good future Kappa

You called me a delusional kid. That's an insult. You're probably young and that's just how you talk. Don't ever link me to an Arch Warhammer video. I ignore everything from him by default as he's biased.
Psycho
Level 3

Postby Psycho » Tue 06 Jun, 2017 1:34 am

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:I ignore everything from him by default as he's biased.

But if you ignore everything from him by default, how would you know he's biased?

Return to “General Discussion”