twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Batpimp
Level 4

Re: Link to a PDF Manual - DOW 3

Postby Batpimp » Sun 09 Apr, 2017 8:38 pm

Arguably, each phase of the game roughly corresponds to each of the Escalation Phases,

which begin every ten minutes:

1. Escalation Phase 1 - Units Refund 25% Resources Upon Death

2. Escalation Phase 2 - 15% Units Refunds, +50% Faster Resource Generation,

+50% Objective Structure Health, +25% Listening Post Health

3. Escalation Phase 3 - 5% Unit Refunds, +100% Faster Resource Generation,

+100% Objective Structure Health, +50% Listening Post Health

4. Escalation Phase 4 - 0% Unit Refunds, +150% Faster Resource Generation,

+150% Objective Structure Health, +70% Listening Post Health
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 1:28 am

I guess that explains why resources start to feel so infinite by end game. :?
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 2:08 am

The faction overview in particular is very nice to have just there.
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Mon 10 Apr, 2017 2:34 am

That was a really good read. can't wait to sink my teeth into this game!
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 4:04 pm

I would have thought that resource generation would slow down as the game goes on, so that each loss is felt more and the game can actually end. I guess this is for comeback purposes but could just lead to games dragging.
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 5:00 pm

Lets just get one thing straight, their is no squad preservation in this game even the in a interview a while back they don't want it, this was why the retreat mechanic was removed cos keeping your squads alive is a bad thing now.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 5:15 pm

Indrid wrote:I would have thought that resource generation would slow down as the game goes on, so that each loss is felt more and the game can actually end. I guess this is for comeback purposes but could just lead to games dragging.

It's actually the opposite. It's set up so that losing squads and map early on isn't an auto gg but by the 20 minute mark, having map control will lead you to be able to steamroll the opponent with the boosted resource generation. Without unit refunds, it's just that much harder for you to replace losses without the points.
Blessed Spartan
Level 1

Postby Blessed Spartan » Fri 14 Apr, 2017 11:30 am

Probably a good thing, losing a squad in dow 2 was such a huge blow and yet at low level it was so easy to do. Probably put people of the game right off the bat.

I guess this really is DOW 1.5
boss
Level 3

Postby boss » Fri 14 Apr, 2017 12:26 pm

Then where the strategy in this game then? their no squad preservation, no vet, no friendly fire, no early game pressure cus units do jack shit damage 3 tacs Marine squads unable to kill some Sluggas those 6 plus armor saves turn into a 1 plus or something, no cover and no bubble shield don't count as cover.

All elite units have some over powered shit but when your creep I mean amy cant kill anything I not surprised so until your elite units kill their amy you and them standing around building your blob up until then. All this game is build your creep let you elite units do the wiping,make sure you have more resource than him and then go hit his ancient I mean power core but then it over anyway cos your creep better then his and he has no way to come back so much strategy in this game.
Forums great more stuff to talk about.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Fri 14 Apr, 2017 5:05 pm

Assuming you are talking specifically about how strategy and escalations work together, then early game you want to be aggressive and draw the line as close to the enemy base as possible. Establish a forward position, focus on getting as many squads out as you can and keeping the enemy pinned very early. Stay offensive early and often and take advantage of unit refunds. You don't want them entrenching themselves in a position that sets them up well late game.

On next phase, things open up a bit depending on if you want to go for vehicles and if you're getting decent push on their gens. Meta isn't quite figured out so there's a lot of experimentation here.

In phase 3/4, if you managed to hold map than this is when you'll go over the top if you haven't already with tech plays. Your resources will generate like crazy and this is the time to plant more production to keep up with it. If the opponent has been turtling and hasn't been able to capture any map, gg.

p.s. Either there's no squad preservation or units do jack shit damage, which is it :P You'd be surprised how much you can keep alive by splitting and falling back before your squad gets too low on health.
Impregnable
Level 4

Postby Impregnable » Fri 14 Apr, 2017 8:04 pm

Is reinforcing squads near your base more rewarding than purchasing a new one?
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
"From the United Kingdom!"
"I'm looking for heaven!"
"I'm going to California!"
"Excalibur!"
"Excalibur!"
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Fri 14 Apr, 2017 9:25 pm

Yes
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 1:18 am

Impregnable wrote:Is reinforcing squads near your base more rewarding than purchasing a new one?

In escalation level 1.

https://www.gamereplays.org/dawnofwar3/ ... ion-phases
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 6:09 am

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:
Impregnable wrote:Is reinforcing squads near your base more rewarding than purchasing a new one?

In escalation level 1.

No, all the time. It's always cheaper to reinforce models and the unit refund is gravy on top of that.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 6:17 am

Atlas wrote:
Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:

In escalation level 1.

No, all the time. It's always cheaper to reinforce models and the unit refund is gravy on top of that.

Wait, what? Seriously? Are you sure?

I only tested it to see that the refund is 25% and I assumed that was because of escalation.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 6:07 pm

Yes, I'm sure. The cost of reinforcement does not change through the phases, and reinforcement is always cheaper than replacing the entire squad.

A "unit" in the game refers to an individual model. Thus, you will get 25/.75 and 20/0 for an ASM/Tac model at the maximum Phase 1 25% refund on death. You reinforce for 25% cheaper than a normal model is. So ultimately you can sustain your army for half the price of buying a new one in Phase 1.

This makes preservation extremely important early game and gradually less important later in the game, when your income advantage comes more from holding points than reinforcing squads. Even at 0% refund though, you're still getting squads up to strength for 25% cheaper from the base reinforcement discount.

It's always cheaper to reinforce models and the unit refund is gravy on top of that.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 15 Apr, 2017 11:08 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:
Atlas wrote:
Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:
In escalation level 1.

Wait, what? Seriously? Are you sure?

I only tested it to see that the refund is 25% and I assumed that was because of escalation.

You misinterpreted it. It's a very weird mechanic that gives you money back on lost units in phase 1. 25%

Contentious!

Reinforcing is always cheaper no matter the escalation phase though.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!

Return to “General Discussion”