DOW III - Orks and Space Marine Multiplayer Gameplay

Atlas

Re: DOW III - Orks and Space Marine Multiplayer Gameplay

Postby Atlas » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 7:55 pm

Look, I admit it. I used to be a gigantic graphics hater.

I remember specifically when Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker was coming out and I said (and I directly quote):
"Wtf are they doing to Zelda?!?! This stupid cartoony shit is going to wreck the game just so that they can squeeze more dollars out of babies who will pester their mom until they buy it."

Then it released and people liked it, and I checked it out for free (it came with the Gamecube) and the game was good (even if the sailing was annoying). The graphics didn't wreck the game.

Way later Red Alert 3 was coming out and I said:
"Oh look, they cartooned the graphics. Where is my Red Alert 3?"

Then it released and people liked it, and I checked it out for free (got a free copy from a bro) and the game was good. The graphics didn't wreck the game.

The point I'm making is that graphics are a stylistic choice and they very rarely affect the actual quality of a game. Imo, you either can get over it or you can't. I've learned to reject my bias and give games a shot that I might not have otherwise, but if you can't then there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just tired of people pretending that graphics are anything more than a matter of taste.
Grosvenor
Level 1

Postby Grosvenor » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 9:00 pm

Point taken, but I do think the look of a game can effect a purchasing decision.

You mentioned Zelda - I personally couldn't buy it because of what it looked like. I may have missed out on a great game, but I just didn't like the look of it.

DOW 3 right now is going the same way for me.
"Would sir be requiring the naughty books tonight?"
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 9:49 pm

There are people who enjoy any of the Command and Conquer games after Yuri's Revenge?
Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 11:52 pm

Oddnerd wrote:There are people who enjoy any of the Command and Conquer games after Yuri's Revenge?

I enjoyed CNC3TibWars/KW and RA3 to a degree, though i would say my most played CNC game is generals/ZH
"Does the Seer see its own doom!?" -Tau commander
2torpid4u: You still haven't sucked my big pink nipples Agu :(
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Fri 17 Mar, 2017 1:12 am

Yeah, my biggest exposure to CnC was actually playing Generals/Zero Hour after high school classes in the library. The hammy charm of RA3 and Yuri's Revenge grew on me even if I didn't like the graphics much at all at first.

.... Come to think of it, that hour or so before the buses head out are probably the biggest reason I got into PC games. I would constantly play CnC and Halo with a group of like 10 bros strong. Those were the days man.
Forestradio
Level 5

Postby Forestradio » Fri 17 Mar, 2017 2:16 am

Atlas wrote:graphics are a stylistic choice and they very rarely affect the actual quality of a game

Sure.

Can anyone in the beta comment on how the actual gameplay either continues or strays from relic's history of failing to balance and fix bugs in their games?
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Fri 17 Mar, 2017 10:28 am

CnC 3 was a Very Good Game, actually.

And Forestradio, asking people to break NDA is a very silly idea. I mean, they can, but that's on them :)
HUNTER
Level 1

Postby HUNTER » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 4:33 pm

There seems to be plenty of videos on youtube showcasing actual multiplayer footage somehow. I assume you can figure plenty out just from watching that.
Lichtbringer
Level 3

Postby Lichtbringer » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 2:12 pm

Swiftsabre wrote:
Grosvenor wrote:Just watched that clip.
God are we in 2017 or what, because those graphics looks so dated, the animations are so bloody basic.

Disgusted!

Just play the bloody game first.

I agree to a point, but on the other hand it's really annoying to be told that you can't say anything about the game. I would love to test it for myself, but there was no open beta yet. So I think it is totally fair to assess the game on what we have.

(And from what I have seen in Youtube videos, it's 20 minutes of standing around, then 5 minutes of the side with the middle Ressourcepoints crushing the opposition with Titans.)

As for the graphics debate, I mostly don't care. In most games it doesn't matter one bit to me.
In DoW3 it's a bit different, because DoW2's graphics were a selling point to me. I specifically liked them. (And it's not even really the graphics, its's more the look of the battlefield. Units taking cover, not every shot hitting, reload between salvos, cover breaking from strayshots, Units moving like "real" soldiers and not like Starcraft 2. Explosions creating cover, vehicles rolling over it. The explosions themselves.)
So if only the Graphics changed, I am sure I couldn't care less.

I don't like how Darkreapers shoot, but besides that I am mostly OK with the Graphics and as someone said, after playing the game for a month I won't notice.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 4:13 pm

HUNTER wrote:There seems to be plenty of videos on youtube showcasing actual multiplayer footage somehow. I assume you can figure plenty out just from watching that.

Unfortunately all of the footage is absolute noobs playing the game, not showcasing the positive aspects of the game.
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 6:51 pm

Regards lichtbringer's point

Quote:"(And from what I have seen in Youtube videos, it's 20 minutes of standing around, then 5 minutes of the side with the middle Ressourcepoints crushing the opposition with Titans.)"

That sounds like how people normally play against an AI when they only play against the AI. Hopefully it won't stay that way for multiplayer. It seems like grabbbing and denying listening posts is crucial to a rapid progression. With wider access (open beta) I am expecting to see more action around those points.

Although I think this does show how good the ideas behind DOW2 were, reducing the build blob-fight-wait-and-build blob cycle.
Grosvenor
Level 1

Postby Grosvenor » Wed 22 Mar, 2017 8:54 am

Last edited by Grosvenor on Wed 22 Mar, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Would sir be requiring the naughty books tonight?"
The Licking Boogyman
Level 3

Postby The Licking Boogyman » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 9:10 am

Aguxyz wrote:
Oddnerd wrote:There are people who enjoy any of the Command and Conquer games after Yuri's Revenge?

I enjoyed CNC3TibWars/KW and RA3 to a degree, though i would say my most played CNC game is generals/ZH

Cnc3/kw Had also beautiful graphic and tbf cnc is cnc, so i liked every cnc except 4.

Return to “General Discussion”