DOW III - Orks and Space Marine Multiplayer Gameplay

Torpid

Re: DOW III - Orks and Space Marine Multiplayer Gameplay

Postby Torpid » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 9:33 pm

Gorbles wrote:
Son of Malice wrote:They just wanna get money, that is why they making this shitty moba-like game coz mobas sells better...

MOBAs, the typically free-to-play genre, sell better.

What a fantastic contribution you make Gorbles. Just -another- one. You offer so much insight in the forum threads you post in that I feel the forum might even get incredibly frustrated out of sheer jealously upon being forced to read them all the time.

It is a sad world indeed when vices like jealously and greed cause humans to despise and hate on other humans for their superior rationality, wisdom and altruism. Alas, that's how the world is and probably always shall be!
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 9:45 pm

Srsly guys falling for this low quality bait is embarrassing.
Attachments

[The extension jpg has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Chronoslayer
Level 0

Postby Chronoslayer » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 9:51 pm

Anyone see any improvements in this second closed beta?
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Fri 10 Mar, 2017 10:07 pm

Carnevour wrote:Srsly guys falling for this low quality bait is embarrassing.

I can't even tell who is baiting who anymore. The derp is so strong in this thread.
Nurland

Postby Nurland » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 12:24 am

Yeah this thread is devolving hard... If the quality does not pick up ASAP, I will close this.
#noobcodex
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:10 am

Chronoslayer wrote:Anyone see any improvements in this second closed beta?

They put out a balance patch that dealt with the #1 cancer in the game, but can only hope they deal with the #2 cancer now :P

Torpid, play nice.

Manonmars, I swear to god if you post 3/4 one sentence posts again I'm just going to delete them instead of editing them together.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 1:39 am

Gorbles wrote:
Son of Malice wrote:They just wanna get money, that is why they making this shitty moba-like game coz mobas sells better...

The base game is free to lure you in - it's all the cosmetics and powerups that sell for criminal prices. I've resisted the urge, but there are a lot of people who will pay way more than the cost of a game over the course of several years because they don't realize how much they are spending when they buy things in $5 increments.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:35 am

Oddnerd wrote:
Gorbles wrote:

The base game is free to lure you in - it's all the cosmetics and powerups that sell for criminal prices. I've resisted the urge, but there are a lot of people who will pay way more than the cost of a game over the course of several years because they don't realize how much they are spending when they buy things in $5 increments.

Sure, but the game itself is free. Getting into an essay on the relative merits and pricing of cosmetics (and other elements) in those games would literally be an essay. I'm a fan of the games that don't divide cosmetics up into tiny little items, I have to say (i.e. DotA 2; not a huge fan of that structure. I stopped playing TF2 for several years for the same reason).

(also, individual items will never be as cost-effective as packaging twenty items together, which is why they're generally priced higher than the combined price. This holds true for most things you can buy)
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Sat 11 Mar, 2017 10:46 pm

TF2 was an amazing game, then it went F2P and Valve put in their own servers. The F2P players all sucked at the game and never took it seriously. They filled all the community servers, which led to the regulars in those community servers to leave as their teams all became depressingly bad. Valve then added their own servers and an auto-join, which made it so less people wanted to join community servers. Every game was then resolved by which team had less people not caring. It used to be so fun.
Black Relic
Level 4

Postby Black Relic » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:16 am

Wait so people actually stop playing games because they can't get certain cosmetics that doesn't change how the game is played at all???? Isn't that childish? You do realize that the people you have the item set the price correct? So its not the games fault it's the people who own the item and put a price tag on it.

And secondly a better fashion for pre-order (although i also agree the pre order is BS and people should never ever do) is access to more Elite options earlier. Whilst the rest of the community has to unlock them and if this is an RTS where balance is king then there should be no problem.

Good free to play games are pay to progress faster when it's mainly PvE (warframe) and the PvP aspect isn't affected in any shape or form by the PvE aspect of the game with the exception of experiance in the game/game mode.

Since Dow3 is so huge oon Elite Units they should make a last stand version in dow3. Would completely fit into what their goal is.

Now from what i have seen i do like how there is interaction in dow3 with player and map. Even though its minimal. Base building needs to be thought out again. It really isn't well executed imo. The size of the UI is too large and needs to be smaller. The game mode they introduced doesn't really perform well in a team game setting via lanes. Their won't be much in teamwork i assume (mobas work with teleporting to locations to help reinforce that position) and if there is when one lane if forgotten that lane in question is left uncontested and can then be completely turen hands.

Yes there are defensive structures for points but who cares. There isn't a unit preservation system. Just throw shit at it. And hopefully draw some attention away from the opposite lane.

Idk i'd have to try the beta to be sure.
"...With every strike of his sword, with every word of his speech, does he reaffirm the ideals of our honored master..." -From the Teachings of Roboute Guilliman as laid down in the Apocrypha of Skaros. Space Marines Codex pg. 54
manonmars
Level 1

Postby manonmars » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 7:29 am

https://youtu.be/IGCf_fYdTfA

thats exactly what im feeling atm with dow3.

if they integrate other mp-modes in future (vp/annihilation), then i will buy it maybe. but surely not at release with this crap mp-mode.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 9:59 am

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:TF2 was an amazing game, then it went F2P and Valve put in their own servers. The F2P players all sucked at the game and never took it seriously. They filled all the community servers, which led to the regulars in those community servers to leave as their teams all became depressingly bad. Valve then added their own servers and an auto-join, which made it so less people wanted to join community servers. Every game was then resolved by which team had less people not caring. It used to be so fun.

I went to a private server although you would probably cringe it was a mlp server, yet it had the best community and really good players that went on to form some of the strongest teams in TF2. But yeah after a point TF2 sadly started to die out with new games coming out and dota 2 taking a lot of players from the community as well as overwatch pretty much stealing most of the userbase.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:07 am

Black Relic wrote:Wait so people actually stop playing games because they can't get certain cosmetics that doesn't change how the game is played at
Now from what i have seen i do like how there is interaction in dow3 with player and map. Even though its minimal. Base building needs to be thought out again. It really isn't well executed imo. The size of the UI is too large and needs to be smaller. The game mode they introduced doesn't really perform well in a team game setting via lanes. Their won't be much in teamwork i assume (mobas work with teleporting to locations to help reinforce that position) and if there is when one lane if forgotten that lane in question is left uncontested and can then be completely turen hands.

Yes there are defensive structures for points but who cares. There isn't a unit preservation system. Just throw shit at it. And hopefully draw some attention away from the opposite lane.

Idk i'd have to try the beta to be sure.

Actually base building is fine and important in DoW3 than never before, since you can reinforce and heal only near your main buildings, it puts empahsys on putting your buildings in places that wont expose you to a potential loss of production buildings while being a rally point for you to lick your wounds. The only thing that i am not liking in the game so far is the bullshit turret that you cant avoid since its one of the objectives to actually win. It artificially stalls the game for both parties and gives the other guy to comeback not by his own plays but because the mode was designed that way esp if he has good late game and you cant really do anything until you mass a force capable of taking it down and make the enemy retreat. 3v3 are like dow2 games boring for me so i havent really played them.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:59 am

Black Relic wrote:Wait so people actually stop playing games because they can't get certain cosmetics that doesn't change how the game is played at all???? Isn't that childish? You do realize that the people you have the item set the price correct? So its not the games fault it's the people who own the item and put a price tag on it.

TF2 is a bit unique in that the cosmetics aren't cosmetics because they're weapons that have ingame effects. When they switched the delivery of these to the randomised drop method, people got understandably annoyed.

My issue with DotA 2 is that other MOBAs give you far more value for your skin investment over time (whether paid or unpaid), and you don't have to gather them up one shoulderpad at a time like you do in DotA 2. There's a balance to be struck (that Valve doesn't care about because DotA 2 has a huge playerbase which guarantees them revenue regardless).
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 11:20 am

Gorbles wrote:
Black Relic wrote:Wait so people actually stop playing games because they can't get certain cosmetics that doesn't change how the game is played at all???? Isn't that childish? You do realize that the people you have the item set the price correct? So its not the games fault it's the people who own the item and put a price tag on it.

TF2 is a bit unique in that the cosmetics aren't cosmetics because they're weapons that have ingame effects. When they switched the delivery of these to the randomised drop method, people got understandably annoyed.

My issue with DotA 2 is that other MOBAs give you far more value for your skin investment over time (whether paid or unpaid), and you don't have to gather them up one shoulderpad at a time like you do in DotA 2. There's a balance to be struck (that Valve doesn't care about because DotA 2 has a huge playerbase which guarantees them revenue regardless).

Its better since you might not like the skin but like an item so you can mix mash random items together to create a more unique look.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 1:21 pm

I didn't consider that; I tend to prefer the designed look sets come with (designing 1,000,000 mix and match sets to combine in aesthetically-pleasing ways is, imo, impossible) but definitely a good point. Better than TF2 regardless.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Sun 12 Mar, 2017 3:21 pm

Paranoid Kamikaze wrote:TF2 was an amazing game, then it went F2P and Valve put in their own servers. The F2P players all sucked at the game and never took it seriously. They filled all the community servers, which led to the regulars in those community servers to leave as their teams all became depressingly bad. Valve then added their own servers and an auto-join, which made it so less people wanted to join community servers. Every game was then resolved by which team had less people not caring. It used to be so fun.

Yeah I have noticed that since the changes to TF2, most players are so bad and so disinterested in the game that I have to continuously server hop until I find a game where there is an equal number of people who care about playing the game on each team. The people don't even have to be really good - it is whether or not they care at all about the game that matters.

This one hits close to home because I used to love TF2 - but now TF2 is a prime example of what happens when a video game company caters to it's stupidest/least-discerning customers. It's like 90% of video game customers are animals who will throw money at anyone who dangles a shiny object in front of their face, and slowly but surely more and more games are being catered to their tastes (at the expense of people who care about quality).
Lichtbringer
Level 3

Postby Lichtbringer » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 4:36 pm

Yeah, I mainly meant directional cover. Units can get absoluty destroyed if they are out of position.

To be fair, I am also thinking about CoH2 here. I really liked the Truesight system. I looks like that is in DoW3, but doesn't play a big role because there are no buildings on the map?`

And yes, flanking is still benefical even if there is no bonus programmed in, because you have a backline and a front line of your army. But from what I have seen in this video, it doesn't look like you can really use that to your advantage, because there is not much that blocks sight.
Lichtbringer
Level 3

Postby Lichtbringer » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 5:11 pm

Gorbles wrote:I didn't consider that; I tend to prefer the designed look sets come with (designing 1,000,000 mix and match sets to combine in aesthetically-pleasing ways is, imo, impossible) but definitely a good point. Better than TF2 regardless.

Oh, and sorry for going offtopic here, but I have to defend Dota2^^

First of all, things have changed since you last played I guess. They took the feedback that singledrops are lame, and now it sometimes drops Sets.

Compared to LoL, well there is no comparison. LoL doesn't give you any cosmetics for free.

Then in Dota, you can trade your Items, So when you get something you don't like you can trade it away. (Though they may have changed this with the random drops you get^^).

And biggest of all, good looking Sets in Dota are actually Dirt cheap. Not only compared to similar games, but in general.
Look at this:
0,50€ for this set.

0,82€ for this set.

Compared to this standard skin.

As you can see these are significant changes, and popular sets.

Or the first set that came out for Silencer (and from which I still use the Shoulders/Robe in almost every constellation). 8 CENT!!!

Not even to mention that Dota compared to LoL has no Runes, and you have all Heroes unlocked for free for ever from the start.^^ No progression BS at all :D

And yeah it's true that you can't match everything and make it look good BUT^^:
The weapons alone give a huge varity because they fit with a lot of sets. Or mounts for Heroes who ride something. Or just changing the Helmet or the Armguard.

The Items really fit better together than you would think.

Here are two variations to the last set I posted:
Swift

Postby Swift » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 6:10 pm

Please no big posts on mobas, I appreciate you educating us all but it's not relevant here.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 13 Mar, 2017 7:27 pm

It's funny mainly because literally in the past week I've been told by someone who still plays DotA 2 that the game no longer gives item drops after a game. Thought they were wrong.

I live in a world of alternative facts :D
Grosvenor
Level 1

Postby Grosvenor » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 3:36 pm

Just watched that clip.
God are we in 2017 or what, because those graphics looks so dated, the animations are so bloody basic.

Disgusted!
"Would sir be requiring the naughty books tonight?"
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 5:43 pm

Grosvenor wrote:Just watched that clip.
God are we in 2017 or what, because those graphics looks so dated, the animations are so bloody basic.

Disgusted!

Just play the bloody game first.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 5:50 pm

Swiftsabre wrote:Just play the bloody game first.

Pay for a terrible game only to be extra assured how terrible it is?

You know that's ridiculous. You can tell whether a game is good or not by watching others play it.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Grosvenor
Level 1

Postby Grosvenor » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 5:51 pm

People say graphics don't make the game and I'd agree up to a point, but if you don't like the artwork style why would you spend money to see if the game plays well. The looks and animation aren't going to change are they.
"Would sir be requiring the naughty books tonight?"
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 6:19 pm

Torpid wrote:
Swiftsabre wrote:Just play the bloody game first.

Pay for a terrible game only to be extra assured how terrible it is?

You know that's ridiculous. You can tell whether a game is good or not by watching others play it.

Okay, how about playing the bloody OPEN beta first then, its free, doesnt cost you anything. If you still don't like it, fine but please for the love of god could everyone stop saying a game is either shit or great before actually trying the product in question?

And yes I liked playing the DoW 3 beta very much.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Toilailee
Champion

Postby Toilailee » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 6:49 pm

Grosvenor wrote:People say graphics don't make the game and I'd agree up to a point, but if you don't like the artwork style why would you spend money to see if the game plays well. The looks and animation aren't going to change are they.

Because after you get used to it you'll forget about it. I played dow2 with low graphics on a wooden pc for years and stopped caring after the first couple of days.

MaxPower wrote:Okay, how about playing the bloody OPEN beta first then, its free, doesnt cost you anything. If you still don't like it, fine but please for the love of god could everyone stop saying a game is either shit or great before actually trying the product in question?

And yes I liked playing the DoW 3 beta very much.

Ditto.
Swift I: You're not a nerd, you're just a very gifted social spastic
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 6:55 pm

Because after you get used to it you'll forget about it. I played dow2 with low graphics on a wooden pc for years and stopped caring after the first couple of days.

Do you? Because I can't get over the terrible animations,sound/speech quality and copy pasted DoW1 lines and the gameplay being more broken than the coh2 meta of heavies.

btw dunno if anyone noticed but you can barely zoom in on your units, that is to avoid seeing the super low quality of the models, seems like all the work was put into the knights and they left the rest of the game to rot.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 7:00 pm

Ace of Swords wrote: btw dunno if anyone noticed but you can barely zoom in on your units, that is to avoid seeing the super low quality of the models, seems like all the work was put into the knights and they left the rest of the game to rot.

You can zoom in on your units in the army painter and I'd say they have more polys compared to dow 2 and the elites are more detailed than any dow 2 unit.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Thu 16 Mar, 2017 7:16 pm

MaxPower wrote:
Ace of Swords wrote: btw dunno if anyone noticed but you can barely zoom in on your units, that is to avoid seeing the super low quality of the models, seems like all the work was put into the knights and they left the rest of the game to rot.

You can zoom in on your units in the army painter and I'd say they have more polys compared to dow 2 and the elites are more detailed than any dow 2 unit.

Yes I've seen them but I don't care about the army painter when in-game they look like someone just threw a bucket of paint over them.

Return to “General Discussion”