DoW III Beta Sign Up Survey

Gorbles
Level 3

Re: Hunter

Postby Gorbles » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 1:56 pm

HUNTER wrote:
HansMoleman wrote:
MaxPower wrote:But we are allowed to say that we made it into the beta atleast?

No you are not ^^

But you are going to see who is playing it today just through steam. I think thats taking it to an extreme. At leas, there is absolutely nothing in the agreement that even comes close to mentioning anything about this.

As the EULA is available and we as moderators have been given permission to link people to it (you should find it in any email Relic may have sent you):

(c) As part of the Alpha Test, You may become privy to certain Confidential Information regarding the Software. This Confidential Information shall be held in strict confidence and shall not be disseminated or disclosed to any third party without the express written consent of SEGA. Disclosure of this Confidential Information without the express written consent of SEGA shall result in immediate termination of this Agreement ending Your participation in the Alpha Test and Licensor shall pursue all remedies available under Section 12 below;

This covers Relic when they ask you to not talk about it.

You can disagree personally as much as you want, but that's legally (and therefore functionally) irrelevant. I really recommend people respect Relic's wishes here. You'll have plenty of time to be critical when Relic ask for any feedback for any programmes that you agree to commit to.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 2:59 pm

Gorbles wrote:
HUNTER wrote:
HansMoleman wrote: No you are not ^^

But you are going to see who is playing it today just through steam. I think thats taking it to an extreme. At leas, there is absolutely nothing in the agreement that even comes close to mentioning anything about this.

As the EULA is available and we as moderators have been given permission to link people to it (you should find it in any email Relic may have sent you):

(c) As part of the Alpha Test, You may become privy to certain Confidential Information regarding the Software. This Confidential Information shall be held in strict confidence and shall not be disseminated or disclosed to any third party without the express written consent of SEGA. Disclosure of this Confidential Information without the express written consent of SEGA shall result in immediate termination of this Agreement ending Your participation in the Alpha Test and Licensor shall pursue all remedies available under Section 12 below;

You can disagree personally as much as you want, but that's legally (and therefore functionally) irrelevant. I really recommend people respect Relic's wishes here. You'll have plenty of time to be critical when Relic ask for any feedback for any programmes that you agree to commit to.

Okay, first the EULA mentions an Alpha, this is an internal Beta - totally different. :P
But yes I've been in enough Alphas and Betas to know that you don't talk about it outside of the designated forums.

Also forget what I've said, I'm totally not in the Beta.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
HUNTER
Level 1

Hunter

Postby HUNTER » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 3:34 pm

You are really stretching that. It is like jurors in a trial. You can know who they are but the jurors are not allowed to discuss the case. This is no different.
Tinibombini
Level 2

Postby Tinibombini » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 3:37 pm

Gorbles wrote:As the EULA is available and we as moderators have been given permission to link people to it (you should find it in any email Relic may have sent you):

Can you link us to the EULA for the beta please?

Thanks.
Gorbles
Level 3

Re: DoW III Beta Sign Up Survey

Postby Gorbles » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 3:40 pm

Hunter, I'm giving you advice, it's entirely up to you whether you take it or not.

@Tinibombini:

It should be in any email you receive from Relic that requires confidentiality. I've double-checked the rules and I'm not sure putting it on a public forum is the best thing for me to do :)
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 4:09 pm

You never played Destroy HQ in DoW before?

You know, the gameplay from which the core MOBA gameplay loop was adapted from? It didn't exist in WC3 explicitly, but destroying the Town Hall (or equivalent) was generally what you needed to do to ensure victory.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 4:33 pm

Just remember to not buy it when it comes out :^)
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 4:47 pm

Freeman, I know you hate the game but what was MOBAesque about the video - yeah the power generator (equivalent of a main hall/the mbf from C&C/the freaking DoW 2 Base) got destroyed but how does this make it a MOBAesque game - sadly the DOW 3 MP videos have been taken down already but they didnt look like a MOBA at all. No creeps, no ai minions, nothing, so please enlighten me/us why you think it is a MOBA.

If it was just a troll post, stop it, aint funny and only makes you look like an idiot.
Last edited by MaxPower on Fri 03 Mar, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 4:52 pm

I think we should draw the line here.

If you didn't get into the beta you'll have to wait, if you did and you mention it... I'll have to kill you.

Let's leave out the sniping.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 4:58 pm

I got to watch like 10 mins of the video before it went down. It turned me from uncertain to 100% excited.

There ARE MOBA elements here, but let's get real for a second: MOBAs are literally direct descendants from the RTS genre. They share game DNA elements. RTS and MOBA will always have varying degrees of similarities. From what I saw of DoW3 in the actual gameplay, I think they picked a very nice set of design elements. There is free form base building, unit micro and territory control from DoW/RTS, and clear goal progression, hero focus and readability of MOBA fame.

I have some concerns that managing all these elements at once will be overwhelming, but I'll give it a shot. Just looking at the map and listening to the caster describe the objectives filled my mind with tactics to try out. That is a really good sign to me.

I really hope I get into the next beta round.
Fr33man1800
Level 2

Postby Fr33man1800 » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 8:34 pm

MaxPower wrote:

Freeman, I know you hate the game but what was MOBAesque about the video - yeah the power generator (equivalent of a main hall/the mbf from C&C/the freaking DoW 2 Base) got destroyed but how does this make it a MOBAesque game - sadly the DOW 3 MP videos have been taken down already but they didnt look like a MOBA at all. No creeps, no ai minions, nothing, so please enlighten me/us why you think it is a MOBA.

If it was just a troll post, stop it, aint funny and only makes you look like an idiot.

Well thank god im not the only one having "visions" then

Cyris
Level 4

Postby Cyris » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 8:41 pm

There is a Fantasia tag?!?!?!?

And DoW3 is Family Friendly I see.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 8:58 pm

Fr33man1800 wrote:
MaxPower wrote:

Well thank god im not the only one having "visions" then

And DOTA 2 has USSR as its tag, so what? Dont like it dont buy it, vote with your wallet instead of crying.
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Fri 03 Mar, 2017 11:57 pm

Ending that train here, ty.
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 7:13 am

Gorbles wrote:As the EULA is available and we as moderators have been given permission to link people to it (you should find it in any email Relic may have sent you):

You must be an interesting lawyer if you think that anything in that quote says that you cannot comment on your being accepted for the alpha itself. One's being chosen for the alpha is not confidential information regarding the 'software'. It tells you absolutely nothing about the 'software' whatsoever (practically speaking, pedantically it may, but not for the public and thus no information is disclosed through announcing such).
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Swift

Postby Swift » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 11:03 am

Torpid wrote:

You must be an interesting lawyer if you think that anything in that quote says that you cannot comment on your being accepted for the alpha itself. One's being chosen for the alpha is not confidential information regarding the 'software'. It tells you absolutely nothing about the 'software' whatsoever (practically speaking, pedantically it may, but not for the public and thus no information is disclosed through announcing such).

Mate, whether it's legal or not, you're just not meant to say so.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 1:01 pm

Torpid wrote:

I'm not a lawyer in the slightest. But it's rather silly to think that SEGA legal hasn't vetted this, and thus, this is obviously speculation, that their lawyers are pretty confident of their options should it ever be in their interests to try.

And yes, by English, having access to the product is in fact information about the product, which it is entirely up to SEGA to deem as confidential. The line is that it shouldn't be discussed. So please, try not to (on the community site and anywhere else where Relic has authority to say so).
Torpid

Postby Torpid » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 3:50 pm

Swiftsabre wrote:Mate, whether it's legal or not, you're just not meant to say so.

An interesting moral claim :O

Gorbles wrote:I'm not a lawyer in the slightest. But it's rather silly to think that SEGA legal hasn't vetted this, and thus, this is obviously speculation, that their lawyers are pretty confident of their options should it ever be in their interests to try.

And yes, by English, having access to the product is in fact information about the product, which it is entirely up to SEGA to deem as confidential. The line is that it shouldn't be discussed. So please, try not to (on the community site and anywhere else where Relic has authority to say so).

Why is that rather silly? Law is extremely pedantic and a lot of random loopholes exist in everything. Sega isn't the government, and the government end up making legal loopholes all the time despite investing presumably far more money into its crafting than Sega would concerning this.

I don't think it is. On the same basis of the ontological argument of Anselm 'existance' is not a property of an entity - for it tells us absolutely nothing about the entity itself, whether it is the existent or the non-existent table, it still has the same properties, in its own realm. To purport otherwise is a clear category error. Same applies to whether it is the product that x can access or the product x cannot access. That's not how properties work. So, you'd have to claim there that based on there being a select few that have access to it that that tells us something about how the software is crafted. Yet, we knew that anyway because it is an internal beta that we all knew was happening and wasn't private knowledge. Whether MaxPower has access to it or not sheds no light in anyway about what they do to the software to allow MaxPower to have access to it and not most others... Therefore no information has been disclosed.

Additionally I think it is actually silly that you even talk about their legal team in reference to someone mentioning they got chosen for the beta. Nobody is going to legally press that issue... Especially given how many people straight-up uploaded or streamed the damn thing.
Lets make Ordo Malleus great again!
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 4:18 pm

I gave advice based on mine (and Swift's) position as community forum moderators. If you want to walloftext over theoreticals that you think may hold up (despite the fact I doubt you have any intention of even trying to go against said advice, if you are even able to), feel free.
pucenoise
Level 0

Postby pucenoise » Sat 04 Mar, 2017 5:31 pm

So I'm assuming this means there are no secret necrons.

Alas!
Atlas

Postby Atlas » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 6:52 am

K, got it.
Adeptus Noobus
Level 4

Postby Adeptus Noobus » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 9:23 am

Well if SEGA or Relic didn't want anybody to know you have the Beta, explain to me why you can see on Steam who is playing it? So either we are supposed to close our eyes whenever we see the name of the game and pretend hard that we just didn't see it to prevent legal implications for said person or maybe, just maybe, Torpid is right and mentioning having access to the beta is not covered by the NDA.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Sun 05 Mar, 2017 11:08 am

You shouldn't be able to. This has been tested.

There is an issue with Discord not reflecting Steam choices here (there are other NDA products affected by Discord mining your hard drives for game data), but your game choices can be renamed in that client.
Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 6:09 am

When I look in my steam friends list there is a blank where the game name should be, in the case of people playing DOW3 beta.
HUNTER
Level 1

Hunter

Postby HUNTER » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 4:36 pm

Its been 6 days since beta testing began. I'm finding it harder and harder to sleep at night. What was that noise? The Relic Inquisition could be strike at any moment and I must remain vigilant.
HUNTER
Level 1

Hunter

Postby HUNTER » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 4:47 pm

Oddnerd wrote:When I look in my steam friends list there is a blank where the game name should be, in the case of people playing DOW3 beta.

Gosh, i wonder how you could tell if somone was selected for it or not :D
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 8:40 pm

There is a blank if you're not in the beta, but it still says 'in-game'. It will say you're playing DoW 3 if you're in the beta though. You could actually change the game you're shown as playing very easily in Steam. I once had a web browser show as a beta for DoW 2 and everyone on my friends list kept on pming me to know how I got in since they never even sent out invites yet :p
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Wed 08 Mar, 2017 8:46 pm

HUNTER wrote:
Oddnerd wrote:When I look in my steam friends list there is a blank where the game name should be, in the case of people playing DOW3 beta.

Gosh, i wonder how you could tell if somone was selected for it or not :D

Not the only game that does this, and like Kami said this can be played with.

Return to “General Discussion”