Dawn of War III - Prophecy of War

Atlas

Re: Dawn of War III - Prophecy of War

Postby Atlas » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 8:25 am

This might also be a good time to remind people that Elite has also done it's best to remove sync kills from the game. It's really not as far-fetched and heretical as people seem to believe.
Grosvenor
Level 1

Postby Grosvenor » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 9:22 am

I didn't like the negative points post I did yesterday, because it came across that I was a bit of a DOW 3 hater, which I'm not.

I've had a long think about why I'm disappointed with DOW3, and I think this is it.

When DOW 2 came out. It took me a long time to get used to it after playing DOW1. The reason I'm not liking what I've seen from DOWIII is that I'm so used to playing DOW II, and realise it was more competitive and had a deeper strategic side to it than 1. Every loss mattered. It was more tactical and I think faster than dow1.

You may not agree, but I feel more connected to the smaller individual squads than the blob'ish armies of DOW1. There's a lot more customisation for them and I don't want them to die. I know it's only a game and all but... I like to be really immersed and connected, and I don't think you get that with large army games.

DOW 3 is more akin to DOW 1 and I'm sure that's the reason.
"Would sir be requiring the naughty books tonight?"
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Sun 26 Mar, 2017 7:06 pm

I agree, at the current time I prefer the scale of DOW2 but I am looking forward to playing dow3 and having my mind changed.

It's not just the number of squads but the army to map ratio. In DOW2 in a 1v1 the map is always more than you can lock down with your army so your opponent can always go around you, decap skirmish and harass.

It looks like (having not played) that in dow3 there are frequent pauses where neither army is strong enough to approach the other. So, both sides stand off accumulating a bigger force. The maps seem to encourage this and I am hoping community made maps will fix this. As long as they don't get too big to traverse in a timely manner.

EDIT - when was the DOW2 open beta announced? We are only one month to release and no confirmation of one for Dow3
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 9:24 am

DoW II did indeed have an open beta, blargh, memory - wiki source here. Looks like it literally ran up to the day of release.

Retribution did too, and it wasn't super-long before release.

That said, that was all under THQ, and so unfortunately not a great comparison to what we can expect here, with SEGA.
oLev
Level 2

Postby oLev » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 2:42 pm

So is it true they're removing friendly damage from all AOE attacks and abilities?
I still have nightmares from trying to to get my hormas into melee vs a ranged blob protected by an inquisitors pyre or electric mekboy.
Will squad/model health be distributed in the same way as DOW2?
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Mon 27 Mar, 2017 6:32 pm

Yes it is true. I think melee will be a bit different this time. Most or all melee units have a jump or ability to get into combat so they are a bit like artillery in themselves. Getting into melee will be like a special ability in of itself.

I didn't get into the closed beta so could be talking nonsense
oLev
Level 2

Postby oLev » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 11:54 am

We'll see.
Just doesn't feel right in a game where there is both melee combat that will make units blob up and no consequence AOE attacks/abilities when it is pretty much a standard in RTS games that the power of AOE attacks against blobs must be balanced against indiscriminate use that covers your own forces as well.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 1:55 pm

It is entirely possible to balance AoE abilities without friendly fire or knockback. In fact, it makes balancing easier because knockback is something of a random mechanic affected by unit physics, animation timings, and so on.
KanKrusha
Level 3

Postby KanKrusha » Tue 28 Mar, 2017 6:46 pm

Initially I thought no friendly fire wasn't a problem but I don't like the idea anymore. It tells me that the lethality of abilities and the game in general is going to be really high, to the point of squad delete or Insta-gib mechanics. My personal taste is against that. It's a trend in games that seems one sided for player enjoyment. Just noting, not changing my purchase plans or anything

Return to “General Discussion”