Contributor

Ork reveal for DOW 3

Postby MaxPower » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 3:04 pm

Hello,

just wanted to share this video with you:

And a nice article about DOW 3's Gorgutz:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/15/dawn-of-war-3-gorgutz-ork/

HF and discuss.
Last edited by MaxPower on Thu 15 Dec, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Swift

Re: Ork reveal for DOW 3

Postby Swift » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 3:31 pm

Well I must say, the Orks are the most visually appealing faction so far.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 3:36 pm

Which isnt that hard considering the Space Marines look like badly painted and animated, stop motion clumps of clay and Eldar, well they are Eldar, they are okayish I guess, but I agree with you, so far the Orks look best.
"A fortress is built with blood and toil. Only by blood and toil may it be taken." Leman Russ
Ace of Swords
Level 5

Postby Ace of Swords » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 3:47 pm

Oddnerd
Level 4

Postby Oddnerd » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 3:54 pm

They really are incorrigible aren't they - they could have had the squigs run up to the eldar lines and explode, nice and simple... but instead they had to do a fucking jump animation first. No, just no.

I do agree that the visuals are better than the SM and Eldar though, almost gives the orks a real grimdark feeling reminiscent of early WH40K editions, before the orks had become a stupid internet meme.
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 4:05 pm

Think i just got my main faction to play as.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 4:35 pm

Oddnerd:

Squigs do jump around, a lot. Backed up by pretty much every piece of lore on them ever.

@thread:

Yeah, I've never been an Orks-first kinda guy, but the aesthetics on these really feel the part. Then again, in my opinion, the factions have gotten progressively better (Eldar appeared better than Space Marines, Orks feel better than the Eldar in terms of polish). Could just be an iterative thing Relic have going on. Does mean we'll be waiting longer to find out for ourselves, though.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 4:52 pm

Gorbles wrote:Oddnerd:
Yeah, I've never been an Orks-first kinda guy, but the aesthetics on these really feel the part. Then again, in my opinion, the factions have gotten progressively better (Eldar appeared better than Space Marines, Orks feel better than the Eldar in terms of polish). Could just be an iterative thing Relic have going on. Does mean we'll be waiting longer to find out for ourselves, though.

I agree with you Gorb, now I really hope they bring maybe Eldar but mostly SM to the same level of polish, atleast visual wise.
Dullahan
Level 2

Postby Dullahan » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 6:32 pm

MaxPower wrote:
Gorbles wrote:Oddnerd:

I agree with you Gorb, now I really hope they bring maybe Eldar but mostly SM to the same level of polish, atleast visual wise.

You guys have to keep in mind, SM was probably the very first assets they started working on.

The new SM stuff like Imperial Knight, Gabriel and Jonah look alright. I'm sure by the time release rolls around everything else will be looking good too.

The initial map they showed also has weird lighting and SM look a lot better in the Eldar videos.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 7:12 pm

I agree; I felt the Marines looked a lot better being smashed up by Eldar in InControl's stream. No bias from the Eldar player here at all, of course :)

I felt the Eldar looked great; I loved the design, but some of the texture work looked a bit flat. Looking at them getting stomped by Orks, the light seems to play off of them better / the texture work seems less jarring. Maybe it's just Biel-Tan; the green always stood out for me even as far back as vDoW.
Swift

Postby Swift » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 7:24 pm

Actually, I'm going to go one step further

The Orks look GOOD.
The internal battery has run dry, the game can now be played. However, clock based events will no longer occur.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 8:39 pm

Dullahan wrote:The new SM stuff like [...] Gabriel [...] look alright.

Apart from Gabriel being way too large and doing Super Mario jumps, yes he looks good.

Meaning, reduce his size and replace the jump with a teleport and I totally agree with you.
Dullahan
Level 2

Postby Dullahan » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 9:06 pm

MaxPower wrote:

Apart from Gabriel being way too large and doing Super Mario jumps, yes he looks good.

Meaning, reduce his size and replace the jump with a teleport and I totally agree with you.

I think his size is just a gameplay thing. To make him more visible among the bajillion space marines that are going to be on screen.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:43 pm

Dullahan wrote:
MaxPower wrote:

I think his size is just a gameplay thing. To make him more visible among the bajillion space marines that are going to be on screen.

Sure, all they have to do now is to reduce mostly all of the AOE - effects, cause it doesnt matter how big your unit is if you cant see it because of an FX barrage.
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:53 pm

Oddnerd wrote:They really are incorrigible aren't they - they could have had the squigs run up to the eldar lines and explode, nice and simple... but instead they had to do a fucking jump animation first. No, just no.

I do agree that the visuals are better than the SM and Eldar though, almost gives the orks a real grimdark feeling reminiscent of early WH40K editions, before the orks had become a stupid internet meme.

One of the things I'm scared off is that there's too much time to react to things and it'll lower the skill ceiling of the game.
Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 11:11 pm

i like orks so far other than the gargant the legs should be inside not outside....
"Does the Seer see its own doom!?" -Tau commander
2torpid4u: You still haven't sucked my big pink nipples Agu :(
Indrid

Postby Indrid » Thu 15 Dec, 2016 11:49 pm

Looked fun and pretty Orky. Music was grating though and why reveal a faction in a low quality 720p video? Odd. Did they post it somewhere else at higher quality?
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 1:38 am

Nope, they didn't post a video with a higher resolution anywhere so far.
Gorbles
Level 3

Postby Gorbles » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 12:26 pm

Likely to be a deal with IGN for coverage; their first-look stuff is a branded thingy. i.e. it's not an IGN First Look if they put it somewhere else.

No idea how it'll play out, but good to see some mainstream coverage nonetheless.
DandyFrontline
Level 3

Postby DandyFrontline » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 4:55 pm

Looks like a dust in the eyes. Pretty cool at first but then you see so many moments i would call as a trash. Dawn of fail 3
Swift

Postby Swift » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 5:30 pm

Aguxyz wrote:i like orks so far other than the gargant the legs should be inside not outside....

They're Gorkanaughts.

(Or Morkanaughts)

Aguxyz
Level 3

Postby Aguxyz » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 9:26 pm

ah ok that makes more sense
"Does the Seer see its own doom!?" -Tau commander
2torpid4u: You still haven't sucked my big pink nipples Agu :(
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 8:23 am

I wonder who will be the elite commanders for the Orks. Following the pattern of the current reveals, it will be Gorgutz, Weirdboy and Morkanaughts.
Unless they have some other main character for the Orks.
fankater
Level 2

Postby fankater » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 11:58 am

For the Emperor skurwysyny !
ugh
Level 0

Postby ugh » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 3:15 pm

Game looks like a new expansion for Diablo 3.
MaxPower
Contributor

Postby MaxPower » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 3:52 pm

fankater wrote:Video about cinematics in DOW3:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2016/12/16/da ... cinematics

So the art and the "cutscene" are prove that Gabriel is now as big, if not bigger as a Primarch, eh, why? I mean you could argue that making him bigger in the actual game is there to make it easier to spot him, but in the freaking cutscenes?

Oh and the space marines in the cutscenes still have these small arms and legs, looks totally weird, i want my classical SM back and not these anorexic marines.
Last edited by MaxPower on Mon 19 Dec, 2016 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rostam
Level 4

Postby Rostam » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 5:06 pm

thanks for sharing . saw it
“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” Leon Tolstoy
Carnevour
Level 2

Postby Carnevour » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 11:59 pm

ugh wrote:Game looks like a new expansion for Diablo 3.

I thought it was a MOBA? Now its a dungeon crawler RPG. Relic are masters of development seemingly thinning the line between RTS-Moba-3rd person rpg dungeon crawler. How can they keep getting away with it?
Attachments

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Batpimp
Level 4

Postby Batpimp » Mon 19 Dec, 2016 5:47 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17FIuUzsU1A
Eternal Crusade code 4 extra points FOR YOU!:
EC-ULA1Q6C1USBP0
twitch.tv/batpimp/
twitter: @Batpimpn
Starter guide viewtopic.php?f=11&t=877
Advanced strategy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=718
Paranoid Kamikaze
Level 4

Postby Paranoid Kamikaze » Mon 19 Dec, 2016 6:33 pm

There being too much flashy junk on the screen is what the problem Guild Wars 2 had when people streamed on Twitch at 720p. Made it impossible for viewers to tell what's going on when they were watching things like tournaments or even regular streams. The developers ended up having to put out some major updates to reduce all the clutter. Hopefully Relic fixes this issue before release. It's much more noticeable now that they're showing larger battles. Taking off the flashing of the regular/special attacks would make a large difference.

Return to “General Discussion”